• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spidey 2 IS A FLOP. ONLY MAKES $150 MILLION IN FIVE DAYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
... You people need to buy more tickets, dammit! And see more movies on July 4th cause it's Sunday pull was sad! But at $150 million it currently beats the five day record previously held by The Matrix Reloaded ($144 million).

This is just for the July 4th weekend, by the way:
1 N Spider-Man 2 Sony $86,330,000
2 1 Fahrenheit 9/11 Lions $15,986,000
3 2 White Chicks Sony $8,664,000
4 3 DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story
5 5 The Terminal DW $7,839,000
6 4 The Notebook NL $7,357,000
7 6 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban $5,956,000
8 7 Shrek 2 DW $5,862,000
9 8 Garfield: The Movie Fox $2,700,000
10 9 Two Brothers Uni. $2,693,000

Fifty

Trevelyon said:
Anchorman box-office domination next weekend.

Huh, looks like Tom isn't pulling the crowds like he used to.

He might if he started picking better projects.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Trevelyon said:
Anchorman box-office domination next weekend.

Anchorman will do good numbers next weekend, but Spidey will still be number one. Even with the 55% drop for something like this, we're talking close to $40 million. I doubt Anchorman will make that much. I predict about $40 million for Spidey 2, $35 million for Anchorman.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Shogmaster said:
Hey man, I contributed to Sunday's take. I even went to the Arclight paying $14 instead of your usual $10~11.

Yeah, but the Arclight is awesome and worth the extra dollars!

Mugen said:
you know, we already have a thread for all spidey thingamajig.

This is the weekend box office total, which differs from all things Spidey because it allows us to talk about films OTHER than Spider-Man 2.

Willco said:
Anchorman will do good numbers next weekend, but Spidey will still be number one. Even with the 55% drop for something like this, we're talking close to $40 million. I doubt Anchorman will make that much. I predict about $40 million for Spidey 2, $35 million for Anchorman.
As much as I hate to say it... I think Anchorman could definitely be #1 next week. :(

Willco

Hollywood Square
Spike Spiegel said:
As much as I hate to say it... I think Anchorman could definitely be #1 next week. :(

Then you do your patriotic duty and buy 10,000 Spider-Man 2 tickets, you bastard! Everyone, listen up! If you go to see Anchorman, buy tickets for Spidey 2 and sneak into Anchorman! Spider-Man needs your money.

OmniGamer

Willco said:
Then you do your patriotic duty and buy 10,000 Spider-Man 2 tickets, you bastard! Everyone, listen up! If you go to see Anchorman, buy tickets for Spidey 2 and sneak into Anchorman! Spider-Man needs your money.

Fuck that..."Spider-Man" got $17,000,000....I need HIS money!

COCKLES

being watched
Funny that it should have beaten Reloaded records.

Because there wasn't a scene in Reloaded that was as fantastical or ridiculious as the scene where Doc Oct kidnaps Aunt May and she's getting slung back and forth by Spidey / Doc Oct up and down the building.

Kuroyume

Banned
Way to go Fahrenheit 9/11! :D Fahrenheit 9/11 is easily the creepiest movie I have seen in the last few years... Btw, the anchorman movie looks lame, nothing funny about it in the commercials...

Kuroyume said:
Way to go Fahrenheit 9/11! :D Fahrenheit 9/11 is easily the creepiest movie I have seen in the last few years... Btw, the anchorman movie looks lame, nothing funny about it in the commercials...

IAWTP

Anchorman looks like one of those movies that just goes from gag to gag and meanders for 2 hours without a story or structure.

teepo

wtf, the weekend gross is now 115 million... this brings the 5 day total to 180! GO SPIDEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Alucard

Banned
Spider-Man 2 was fantastic and better than the first one in every possible way. It had more action, the villain was a lot more menacing, it had more humour, the pacing was a lot better, and the story itself was a lot more satisfying. Bring on Spider-Man 3, the hobgoblin and the lizard!

Willco

Hollywood Square
teepo said:
wtf, the weekend gross is now 115 million... this brings the 5 day total to 180! GO SPIDEY!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the four day gross. That means it's six day gross is $180 million.

Willco

Hollywood Square
And so everyone knows, Sony made so many licensing deals with this movie that its partnerships brought in an inordinate amount of money, so despite it's price tag of $250 million (marketing and production costs combined), Sony has probably already made their money back and then some as of Monday.

But Sam Raimi needs to pay his rent, so buy more tickets!

Willco

Hollywood Square
MIMIC said:
Wow. This movie really faltered in the "box office record-smasher expectations" arena.

I don't think it's a complete bust. The lofty forecasts said it'd make $200 million by the end Monday and it's only off $20 million.

I told people to cool their forecasts from the get-go. July was a bad time to launch the flick. See Shrek 2 for example. It ate up May and June because it didn't have any real competition save for Harry Potter. Peopel were saying Troy and Van Helsing would be big, but I thought better of those two. Troy had potential, but I never saw it as a Gladiator-like box office champ and Van Helsing was dreck from day one. Spider-Man 2 would've domolished records had it been released in early May as originally planned.

MIMIC

Banned
Willco said:
I don't think it's a complete bust. The lofty forecasts said it'd make $200 million by the end Monday and it's only off $20 million.

I told people to cool their forecasts from the get-go. July was a bad time to launch the flick. See Shrek 2 for example. It ate up May and June because it didn't have any real competition save for Harry Potter. Peopel were saying Troy and Van Helsing would be big, but I thought better of those two. Troy had potential, but I never saw it as a Gladiator-like box office champ and Van Helsing was dreck from day one. Spider-Man 2 would've domolished records had it been released in early May as originally planned.

Yeah. It, by no means, had a bad weekend; breaking ANY record(s) is positive in any aspect.

But some people here were talking as if it would make $180 in four days.

Willco

Hollywood Square
MIMIC said:
Yeah. It, by no means, had a bad weekend; breaking ANY record(s) is positive in any aspect.

But some people here were talking as if it would make $180 in four days.

Well, that's just crazy talk. Sequels usually don't make more money and even I knew with Spidey 2 it would definitely be the case. Part of what made the original such an event was the novelty of seeing Spider-Man on the big screen for the first time ever. That's kind of wore off the second time around and you're starting to see that.

I think the only thing Spider-Man 2 has going for it now is that, it's being well-received by critics and audiences alike and it doesn't have any real competition in the family fare market in coming weeks. So it might have legs. It'll lose that 16-25 demographic as Anchorman, Bourne Supremacy and The Village see release, but kids and families really don't have a lot of options save for this, Shrek 2 and Harry Potter.

pestul

What Spidey is up against..

July 7
- King Arthur

July 9
- Anchorman
- Sleepover

July 16
- A Cinderella Story
- I, Robot

July 23
- The Bourne Supremacy
- Catwoman

July 30
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
- The Manchurian Candidate
- Thunderbirds
- The Village

I'd say 'I, Robot' will be the first to take it down..

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I saw it Saturday. It was a little better then the first IMO. But I thought the first was fairly average. So this one was a little above average.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The thing that has always amused me is the importance now placed on "open weekend" box office returns... which are really the least important factor of any film.

The first few days of tickets are based merely on hype, and have NO relation to the quality of the film, nor future sales. After the first few days, people know if the film is good or bad... then word of mouth and repeat sales kick in. Open weekend sales are good for "bragging rights", but really mean little. I'd imagine that sales during the following week are much more revealing.

Trevelyon

pestul said:
July 23
- The Bourne Supremacy
- Catwoman

If there is a god in existence, Bourne will at least do 10-12 million clear of Catshit on its opening weekend. I remain fairly optimistic in the general movie going public making the right choice, after The Alamo & Around the World bombings.

Willco

Hollywood Square
pestul said:
What Spidey is up against..

July 7
- King Arthur

July 9
- Anchorman
- Sleepover

July 16
- A Cinderella Story
- I, Robot

July 23
- The Bourne Supremacy
- Catwoman

July 30
- Thunderbirds
- The Village

I'd say 'I, Robot' will be the first to take it down..

King Arthur might be No. 1 for Wednesday, as that is it's opening day. Anchorman and The Bourne Supremacy seem much more threatening than I, Robot. Really, is anyone looking forward to this?

calder

pestul said:
July 7
- King Arthur

July 9
- Anchorman
- Sleepover

July 16
- A Cinderella Story
- I, Robot

July 23
- The Bourne Supremacy
- Catwoman

July 30
- Thunderbirds
- The Village
I also believe Anchorman will take #1, but just for one day. Then I, Robot will take over from Spidey again for a few days maybe, with Bourne Supremacy dethroning Spidey if it comes back to take the crown after everyone realizes how much ass I, Robot sucks.

No one is going to see King Arthur. I'm it's 100% fanboy target audience, I have an amazing ability to watch utter schlock as long as ppl are swinging swords at each other and even I have no desire at all to see it.

Ripclawe

Banned

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Will : THE WHITE PIR8 HAS A MESSAGE FOR YOU

Pir8.jpg

evil ways

But Sam Raimi needs to pay his rent, so buy more tickets!

Doesn't the director and actor salary come right out of the budget? Which means Sam Raimi already got paid. The people who are now cashing in are Marvel, and Sony.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil ways said:
Which sadly enough, sucks according to preview screenings and will probably bomb hard.

It won't bomb, because no matter how bad the buzz is, people will see it on opening weekend. Afterwards, who knows.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I've already seen it twice and will probably try to see it one or two more times before the end of the week. And if I do want to see Anchorman, I'm buying a ticket for Spider-Man 2! WWSD, people! What would Spider-man do?

I saw the flick on Saturday at 10:30 PM and it wasn't even closed to being sold-out at a theater in an urban area where "popcorn movie" usually dominate; I was surprised as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom