• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

This is actually the first time I'm trying to game the system. I always just pick my preferred choice usually.

It's just everytime I decide to just do it I can't really pick one of the other.

I felt Snowman because it's something I've done and plan to do with kids in the future but making buildings out of sand is also really appealing to me.

It actually looks pretty even this Splatfest.

I just want something to break my internal deadlock.

Edit:

Snowman.

I'm from the Northeast dammit!

Apologies if slight swearing is looked down upon in the thread.

I'm from the Northeast dammit!

Apologies if slight swearing is looked down upon in the thread.

I don't think anyone on GAF cares about swearing all that much, given how prolific it is around here...

Anyway, I expected sandcastles to be more popular, because I feel like everyone at least has access to them. You hear people joke about having never seen snow, but even if you live landlocked in the middle of a continent, you can visit a crappy lake beach and make a sandcastle there.

Moondrop

Banned
Wow, splatfest is a much different experience when matched by skill. Better ultimately, I suppose. But kind of ruins the experience of learning new weapons on noobs.

I still posted a 7-0 start for Sandcastles with a weapon I'd never really used, the Inkbrush Nouveau. Definitely fun, but hard to get used to the feeling of running away when spotted. Especially with this map selection. Guess it's time to bring out a weapon I actually main.

ChrisD

Yeah, I really like the new system. It's pretty much Ranked in terms of difficulty, but it beats the old grab-bag. And 8 points per win makes a much faster Queen/King. I'm putting off Champion's run until tomorrow just because like... I know I actually can without burning out.

I really expected Snowman to be the more popular because of Frozen, but now I fear I'm probably wrong. At least I don't need the Snails anymore.

Needham

So what is Snowman Power? When it shows it at the start of the match does it just average out the whole teams power rating? Is it just for match making or what?

I sure maxed out fast this time with the extra points for winning. I didn't even fully upgrade my shirt.

I also got the mall 9 times in a row, and 14 out of 18 times. Please, never again.

Got up to Defender and called it a night.

Seemed more balance but I still won 80% of my matches.

I like that a win adds +4 now. Makes the path to King or Queen shorter.

Also the new Top 100 trophy thing is real neat. Doubt I can make it though.

Edit:

To above. Probably an average to match opposing teams that close values.

And 8 points per win makes a much faster Queen/King.

Wait, 8 points?

Are you S rank or something?

I'm B+ and get 4 for a win.

Needham

Wait, 8 points?

Does your rank really matter? That's kind of dumb. I'm S+ and I got 6 for a win and 2 for painting 400pts, so 8 total

Or is it your power level? Does your starting amount have to do with your rank maybe? I started at 1600 and finished around 1780.

EDIT

Ok, I looked it up. Your rank determines your starting power level and your power levels determines the points you get for winning. Apparently having the highest power level on your team when you win also gets you some bonus points.

ChrisD

Wait, 8 points?

Yeah, S+

Man that sucks that rank plays such a large part in things. Here I was thinking, "Hey, Splatfest is all around funner now!" Guess that doesn't go for everyone. Sorry to hear that Nintendo still don't get that Splatfests are grindy and expediting it would make it more enjoyable for all. >_>

Correction though: 2 points for the inking 400, and 6 for a win. 8 is the total.

What....what is this sensation....

Am I....during a Splatfest....

having FUN!?

And I have team mates that aren't superjumping into death every two seconds?? And can hold a position?? And know to find safe zones??

What....what is this sensation....

Am I....during a Splatfest....

having FUN!?

And I have team mates that aren't superjumping into death every two seconds?? And can hold a position?? And know to find safe zones??

I wish I can share your feeling, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm experiencing horrible RNG, latency, and Dynamos who have the range of Splatterscopes. Not very fun solo.

Geg

Holy crap giving 6 points per win (plus 2 for inking) instead of 3 is the best thing about this new splatfest system. I made Queen rank after about 3 hours despite losing a bunch. In the Pokemon splatfest I played for like 4 hours and didn't even make it halfway through champion rank.

Though now with the new matchmaking ensuring almost every game is against a fairly competent team I kind of miss back when splatfest was all a pushover lol

I'm gonna guess that every letter grade up of Rank your win bonus goes up.

S: 6
A: 5
B: 4
C: 3

So if you even if you never play rank you'll get the usual win bonus.

I've only been playing Splatfest since like November.

If what I think is true then I'm going to go for A-. I was just fluctuating between A- and B+ before.

It's weird that their rewarding the best players with a faster way to King/Queen considering the main reward is Sea Snails. I read at high rank you get a lot of money per match anyway.

The fest points you earn is related to the average score of your group.

I'm at 1725~ right now and now I'm earning 7 splatfest points in addition to the 2 for 400p Ink.

....At least I would be if every lobby didn't time out from no team snowman members showing up... It is funny how the same four of us keep joining the same room.

All right, that's five attempts and they all timed out. Fucking amazing. Trying this tomorrow. Swear to god Nintendo it's always one step forward three steps back with you.

Getting to Champion was Hell.

I've never lost that much in a row.

My teams were horrible. I might as well have put the controller down for every match.

Also my team's power level has always been lower than the opposing team.

My last match for Champion I finally won one for a six game win streak. I would have played more but I was so tired form played so many losing matches before.

Of course I get a good team on the match I planned to stop playing.

Fuck Splatoon.

J@hranimo

Banned
I thought Snowman would be more popular (and hence lose per stupid no popularity multiplier), but I open up the plaza, and it's a whole bunch of Sand Castle shirts.

This is me just now. Haven't played the game for almost a week due to being out of town, but hey I chose Sandcastle anyway for Marie

...Will I get burned in the end? Hopefully not.

Blues1990

Getting to Champion was Hell.

I've never lost that much in a row.

My teams were horrible. I might as well have put the controller down for every match.

Also my team's power level has always been lower than the opposing team.

My last match for Champion I finally won one for a six game win streak. I would have played more but I was so tired form played so many losing matches before.

Of course I get a good team on the match I planned to stop playing.

Fuck Splatoon.

You think you had it rough? Try playing 90 matches, and 89 of them were all disconnects.

Only one of those matches had gone smoothly, and my team dominated. But by that point, I had given up because I was so angry.

Blues1990

That only makes me feel sympathy for the teammates you repeatedly abandoned.

Get a LAN adapter.

What the hell are you taking about? I never "abandoned" them. Everything is going fine until everything pauses & the game says "Disconnected From Server." I never turned off my console or rage quit, if you wanted to know.

And I have tried the LAN adapter route, and that didn't improve my connection at all. Splatoon is the only Wii U game (or video game, for that matter) that has been giving me guff since I bought it last year. Out of the 10 matches in SSB4, 9 of them were flawless. I get consistent matches in Mario Kart 8. Even Xenoblade Chronicles X works well with little hiccups.

Moondrop

Banned
What the hell are you taking about? I never "abandoned" them. Everything is going fine until everything pauses & the game says "Disconnected From Server." I never turned off my console or rage quit, if you wanted to know.
By your own count you left approximately 267 squids to fend for themselves in a 3v4. You seemingly joined game after game, despite your bad internet connection, with no regard for their experience. I feel bad for them.

And I have tried the LAN adapter route, and that didn't improve my connection at all. Splatoon is the only Wii U game (or video game, for that matter) that has been giving me guff since I bought it last year. Out of the 10 matches in SSB4, 9 of them were flawless. I get consistent matches in Mario Kart 8. Even Xenoblade Chronicles X works well with little hiccups.

What is your upload bandwidth?
Splatoon reportedly requires a higher upload speed which can explain that other Wii U online games work fine (“If you find your download is below 1.5Mbps or your upload is below 1Mbps, this indicates the issue is likely related to your Internet service”).

There is obviously something wrong with your connection so yes it is normal you should be blamed for not taking steps trying to troubleshoot it or refrain from playing problematic games where you annoy other players.

Blues1990

By your own count you left approximately 267 squids to fend for themselves in a 3v4. You seemingly joined game after game, despite your bad internet connection, with no regard for their experience. I feel bad for them.

And yet, I don't have any issues with playing any of my other games online, which you completely omitted when quoting me.

What is your upload bandwidth?
Splatoon reportedly requires a higher upload speed which can explain that other Wii U online games work fine (“If you find your download is below 1.5Mbps or your upload is below 1Mbps, this indicates the issue is likely related to your Internet service”).

There is obviously something wrong with your connection so yes it is normal you should be blamed for not taking steps trying to troubleshoot it or refrain from playing problematic games where you annoy other players.

I did a check, and my download speed is 20Mbps and my upload is 2.7Mbps. I got my internet provider to come in and check it, and everything is working fine. So you ask me what's the problem. I just want to play Splatoon, just like the rest of you. :/

ChrisD

When you Bubble your team at the end of the game and turn it around.

My controller is emanating woomy

Edit: Alright I spoke too early on Splatfest being completely fun. Worst teams I've had in a long time by virtue of them being "high skilled Level 50" players. (But not too early on liking how much quicker it will go, at least)

Because no

they're not

Now wishing I did all of it yesterday while these players weren't on. :x

Geg

and once again the only time I have any connection issues is during a splatfest

america needs better and more affordable internet

One of my games last night my team only lost because a laggy dynamo on the other team continued flicking ink after the end of the match lol

Edit: Alright I spoke too early on Splatfest being completely fun. Worst teams I've had in a long time by virtue of them being "high skilled Level 50" players. (But not too early on liking how much quicker it will go, at least)

Because no

they're not

Now wishing I did all of it yesterday while these players weren't on. :x
Yeah I'm amazed some of my teammates from yesterday ever managed to make it to S rank. It lumps together both S and S+ players at 1600 points at the beginning of splatfest, so I guess some of those games could have been unlucky all S vs. all S+

That was pure misery. Absolute misery. It started out good, I had a decent team that knew what they were doing, and then we had a disconnect because "I ain't paying for a lan adapter!".

After that I'm getting paired with the typical turf war scrubs like chargers that think "charger" is a literal term and morons that waste the first minute and ten seconds of each match painting EVERY. GODDAMN. INCH. of the map. This is the stupidest mentality for two reasons: 1, you're essentially forcing your team into a 3v4 scenario already while they're trying to set up some kind of stage presence and 2, now there's no terrain to ink for respawning team mates to build special meter making it even harder to get a foothold again. And let's not forget the superjump jackasses. "Hey! That guy is in enemy territory completely surrounded by ink! I'mma jump!" "Hey! Let's all bunch together in this confined walkway! surely we can take on this one tentatek! What could go wrong!? *Inkzooka'd*"

We got the great weapon distribution on the teams again. Me with an N-Zap or Squelcher along with two aerosprays and a paintbrush vs two snipers, a dynamo, and a luna blaster. That was wonderful... I think I'm going to need to force myself to learn chargers just so we have one on our team. And once I hit 1700 power...that's fucking it. The game comes to a complete stop. You don't get any team members and you don't find any opponents. AND I fought Sandcastle v Sandcastle games like 65% of the time.

I think a lot of the shit with Splatfest might have to do with Turf War being the absolute worst mode in the game. It's a clusterfuck of anarchy with everyone scattered about with no gameplan or objective, which is why it usually results in team mates fighting multiple enemies alone because the rest of your team just fucked off. We need to do the ranked modes or something so we can funnel these ADD kids into looking the same direction.

Mad props and praise to the developers for the extended support and the continuous efforts to improve the game, gear, modes, and Splatfest, but there's only so much you can do to counter human stupidity.

Blues1990

That was pure misery. Absolute misery. It started out good, I had a decent team that knew what they were doing, and then we had a disconnect because "I ain't paying for a lan adapter!".

After that I'm getting paired with the typical turf war scrubs like chargers that think "charger" is a literal term and morons that waste the first minute and ten seconds of each match painting EVERY. GODDAMN. INCH. of the map. This is the stupidest mentality for two reasons: 1, you're essentially forcing your team into a 3v4 scenario already while they're trying to set up some kind of stage presence and 2, now there's no terrain to ink for respawning team mates to build special meter making it even harder to get a foothold again. And let's not forget the superjump jackasses. "Hey! That guy is in enemy territory completely surrounded by ink! I'mma jump!" "Hey! Let's all bunch together in this confined walkway! surely we can take on this one tentatek! What could go wrong!? *Inkzooka'd*"

We got the great weapon distribution on the teams again. Me with an N-Zap or Squelcher along with two aerosprays and a paintbrush vs two snipers, a dynamo, and a luna blaster. That was wonderful... I think I'm going to need to force myself to learn chargers just so we have one on our team. And once I hit 1700 power...that's fucking it. The game comes to a complete stop. You don't get any team members and you don't find any opponents. AND I fought Sandcastle v Sandcastle games like 65% of the time.

I think a lot of the shit with Splatfest might have to do with Turf War being the absolute worst mode in the game. It's a clusterfuck of anarchy with everyone scattered about with no gameplan or objective, which is why it usually results in team mates fighting multiple enemies alone because the rest of your team just fucked off. We need to do the ranked modes or something so we can funnel these ADD kids into looking the same direction.

Mad props and praise to the developers for the extended support and the continuous efforts to improve the game, gear, modes, and Splatfest, but there's only so much you can do to counter human stupidity.

I get where you're coming from, but be thankful that you were able to play a couple of solid matches before it all went to pot.

No matter what I did, the game did not want to cooperate with me with making things work. :/

woopWOOP

I forgot there was a new matching system. I also forgot my friend carried me to A-rank after two nights of co-op, many months ago. Long story short, I'm getting my ass handed to me half the time now.
...Atleast I get more points when I win now though!!

Sorry to all legit A-rank folks getting stuck with me this Splatfest :(

(btw, what does the sparkling squids icon mean at the start of the match? It's also on the 'continue' button... is it supposed to show how many matches the team stuck together or something?)

Blues1990

(btw, what does the sparkling squids icon mean at the start of the match? It's also on the 'continue' button... is it supposed to show how many matches the team stuck together or something?)

I think that's a bonus multiplier that is given to you & your team, depending if you stick with the whole team for several matches.

StAidan

Yeah, I don't believe for a second that the game was giving me S+ (or even S) rank teammates for this splatfest, though I'm pretty sure most of the Sandcastle teams I was up against were in the S+ range.

All of my games on Team Snowman were hallmarked by scrubs using the stereotypical scrub weapons (aerospray, splattershot jr, krak-on roller). I think I got just one charger during the grind. The Sandcastlers, on the other hand, had a charger and a dynamo almost every game, along with an assortment of things like carbons, sloshers, tentateks, or 52s. They were clearly folks who were much more familiar with the game.

A generous estimate of my win rate would be maybe 20%.

Kito

I had maybe 4 wins in 3 hours of play and didn't get to King (I'm S+).

The only reason I kept playing was to test every kind of weapon and try different strats.

In the end, there was absolutely nothing I could do, it was constantly a 1v4 and my team constantly died. Also, the same scrubs kept getting into my lobby, shoutout to Sergio for being the shittest roller in the world. Nice achievement!

I went to plaza in the last game to checkout my teammates: A- (A-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), S, S and me against quad S+.

I'm never playing splatfest again under these new mechanics, I'm so upset, irritated, and stressed. Horrible experience.

I won maybe 15% of the time last night. Some of that was probably on me, but I wasn't playing terribly, either. Took just as long to hit Queen as usual.

I hope the next Splatfest goes more smoothly, because the new system didn't really feel much better. I want to like it though, and when I did win, getting +8 points helped a lot--but I was up against teams with higher power than mine 95% of the time, which doesn't seem right.

Jims

This was the weird Splatfest ever for me. I tried to play vanilla Slosher but just could not get it going for some reason. I don't know if it's the lack of access to the Damage Up shirts or what? Lost something like 7 straight before winning one.

Then switched to Slosher Deco, found a team with players named Nin⋆Luigi (Range Blaster) and fk minh (Dynamo), and proceeded to win something like 15 straight games. Was going to not bother climbing to Sandcastle King but the setup was so good and we were sticking together, so why not. Didn't have a single disconnect either. Lots of weapon variety on both teams. Thank gawd for the layout change on Arowana or this would've been a complete E-liter fest. They were the biggest problem on Museum today.

You can really feel the difference in Splatfest ranks. We tore through the 1400s, but the moment we got in the mid 1500s, we started going 60/40 or 50/50 with them.

Leatherface

So, I made another S+ attempt last night during the Port/Museum Zones rotation. I had a pretty smooth ride up to S 96, then with one win left to go, the game proceeds to throw everything in the book at me -- giving me chargers that can't hit the broad side of the Booyah Base, setting me up against a team of walls, wails, and krakens in Port Mackerel, etc.

So suffice it to say, I ended the night a little salty and S 70.

However, the evening did give me the following match in which I pulled out the most intense overtime win I've had in a long time, with a 20/7 kd ratio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFajQuRd3c

I think it's safe to say you're good with guns, terminator. :p

Also, are you on medication or high because you are a way too chill playing ranked matches. lol

Got to King pretty easily. Won probably 80% of my matches today. Or course I had a real bad losing streak.

Like yesterday on the match I was going to quit on I went on a winning streak and voluntarily stopped unlike how I usually keep going till I lose.

I fought my fellow Snow Men twice so I'm guessing they were more popular?

Honestly this Splatfest definitely felt the most balanced to me in a long time. Most matches were had teams in 40's and 50's not a ton of blowouts like I saw a lot with recent Splatfests.

Really interested to see who won.

I'm just trying to get as many Sea Snails as necessary to upgrade all the gear.

For those that keep losing just keep going back to the lobby and try for a new team until you get some good players. Good luck!

As a low S player I feel like I should have gone down to A+ before the Splatfest started. Never got very far from 1600. I wish they'd use a ranked mode for Splatfests.

StAidan

I think it's safe to say you're good with guns, terminator. :p

Also, are you on medication or high because you are a way too chill playing ranked matches. lol

Good enough to reach S+, I guess :) Compared to the typical Japanese Tentatek, maybe not so much! I still have a lot of work to do.

And yeah, I must just be high on life. I maintain a pretty steady chill in just about everything I do, lol.

woopWOOP

Stealth Jump wasn't changed in the recent update, was it?
Every time I super jump I still have people waiting to shoot me down the moment I land and I swear I still see a little jump icon at my landing location every time.

Or maybe my non-stealth team mates just jump into the same spot as I am. Every. Single. Time.

Can't we have fashion-Splat during fests? Special saver is such a trash ability and it gives tagging a significant buff since you can't use Cold-blooded or Haunt. Just let us use our current gear and it just looks like a Splatfest Tee...

I think I fought you last night, Magnet_Man.

Depends. If I won, totally was me. If I lost, how dare you insinuate that was me!

Regiruler

Can't we have fashion-Splat during fests? Special saver is such a trash ability and it gives tagging a significant buff since you can't use Cold-blooded or Haunt. Just let us use our current gear and it just looks like a Splatfest Tee...

Learn to play around tagging. It's not hard.

Special Saver is a lot better than you make it out to be.

L95

Is there a way for people out of Japan to use kana in their names? (I ask because I wanted to put a squid in my name some time back, but couldn't find any kana in the name menu, but I just played a splatfest match with someone with a Japanese name)

Top Bottom