• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell HD Trilogy |OT| "You bought the wrong collection!"

OP could add some more info to avoid basic questions :D

The games have been available on the PAL PSN for about two months already.

· Whole package £31.99/€39.99/$39.99

Separate games on PAL PSN Store:
· Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell HD (£7.99/€9.99)
· Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow HD (£7.99/€9.99)
· Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory HD (£7.99/€9.99)

· No multiplayer components.
· 3D support and separate trophies for each game.
· First two games are 1080p, Chaos Theory 720p, no new visual effects, just the PC high res textures/models.
· File size 10.25 GB as a whole.
· PS3 Exclusive for the time being.

Splinter Cell: First released in 2002. The story of Splinter Cell begins in Georgia, where a newly recruited Fisher is dispatched in order to gather intelligence about the disappearance of two CIA officers. As the story evolves, Sam discovers that a nuclear weapon has been planted on the US soil. Sam must do everything possible to stop the nuclear bomb from detonating.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow: First released in 2004. The US embassy in East Timor is taken over by an anti-separatist Indonesian Militia named Darah Dan Doa, led by Suhadi Sudano. Sam is sent to gather intelligence, and he discovers a plot that involves a biological bomb attack on the US. Sam has to race against time to save the day.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: First released in 2005. In East Asia, a US battleship is sunk by a North Korean missile, resulting in a war between North Korea and the U.S.. North Korea claims that the missile was launched unintentionally. While out to gather information, Sam discovers about a plot that may start World War III and he must stop to it at any cost.

Mileena

Banned
My mind is still blown that EU gets them separately while US has to buy the whole thing. I would have gotten Chaos Theory but now I'm not supporting their bullshit. Fucking Ubi/Sony.

from a LTTP thread this week, post applies here as well. After platinuming Chaos Theory, I started Pandora Tomorrow. I remembered that CT was a step forward when I played the originals but holy hell what a difference. Do the right thing and play the games IN ORDER :)

StevePharma said:
Just platinumed this from the HD-collection. Sogood.jpg. Even in 2011 this game is still amazing.

Fucking amazing game. One of my favourites of last gen.

This game man.

The music. Box checked for amazing. Still listen to it and even the remix CD that came out this year proves how awesome of a score Tobin created.

Level design. So many options and opportunity objectives to do

The funny. Yes even in WWIII the banter is funny and cheesy while still feeling like a spy thriller.

Props to Clint Hocking and his team for pulling this off. Going back to Pandora Tomorrow after playing this shows how much of an improvement they made to the basic gameplay, level design and animation. At the time this came out it was one of those "this is next-gen" moments for me, just like I had while playing RE4 for the first time, which also gets a lot of praise this week on the board as well.

Timeless classic, this one is. I feel bad for the series because I was SO stoked for Double Agent but it disappointed me so much. Conviction was really good but didn't feel like Splinter Cell but more like Jason Bourne. We probably won't get that back again if they continue the stroyline as it is nowm, but we can still hope.

Also the Bank mission is my favourite Splinter Cell mission of all time.

corkscrewblow said:
My mind is still blown that EU gets them separately while US has to be the whole thing. I would have gotten Chaos Theory but now I'm not supporting their bullshit. Fucking Ubi/Sony.

They might come out later :p i find the pricing quite silly when you can get them separately for 30 euros vs the bundle for 40 euros.

I downloaded the Chaos Theory HD version bout 2 weeks ago and all I have to say is, wow.This game has so much polish on it, everything from the animations, to sound, to even the music is top shelf.I am a massive fan of the series and I really did enjoy conviction but after playing this again I can say that this is the best game in the series and the HD version really holds up well today.I wish they kept this formula instead of going all out action.

So are there any comparison pics?

I would love to get this collection, but if Ubi messed this up, then I'll wait until it hits $15.

Also, please tell me they are patching it for inverted?

Where the hell did all you people come from? I haven't met anyone in real life that plays inverted since like, the Goldeneye 64 days.

Roland Deschain said:
No inverted controls equals no buy. I found this out the hard way in Beyond Good and Evil. Still waiting for a patch :(
yeah i was thinking what the other hd remake game was that made this mistake.
Thanx for reminding.

Wow, i would have loved to buy CT, but no inverted controls means i can't play it.

revolverjgw said:
Where the hell did all you people come from? I haven't met anyone in real life that plays inverted since like, the Goldeneye 64 days.
what? inverted is normal.

SkyMasterson said:
So are there any comparison pics?

scell1.jpg

scell2.jpg

scell3.jpg

SkyMasterson said:
Wow, those look fantastic. So what were people complaining about then? Other than inverted controls.

Thanks for the pics dude!

Take them with a grain of salt, but they are based on the PC version assets so they do looks a lot better than the PS2 originals anyway.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So the title is directed at people who bought this instead of Ico/SotC Collection, right? Because the other way 'round is just crazy talk. No online, recycled PC assets...Ubisoft needs to take a lesson from Sony and Konami and step it up with these collections.

GQman2121

Banned
I was really interested in this collection, but Eurogamers review and breakdown turned me off. Add in the fact that you can't invert the Y-axis (reportedly being patched in) and this is an easy pass for me at the full asking price. Definitely seems like just another cash in for Ubi. Slowdown is just unacceptable for any of these collections.

MattKeil said:
So the title is directed at people who bought this instead of Ico/SotC Collection, right? Because the other way 'round is just crazy talk. No online, recycled PC assets...Ubisoft needs to take a lesson from Sony and Konami and step it up with these collections.

Bravo for not mentioning Capcom there.

How can you have lower frame rate than originals.

UbiSoft and Capcom are just trying to cash in while others are better/properly providing HD Remakes.

Noisepurge said:
OP could add some more info to avoid basic questions :D

The games have been available on the PAL PSN for about two months already.

· Whole package £31.99/€39.99/$39.99

Separate games on PAL PSN Store:
· Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell HD (£7.99/€9.99)
· Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow HD (£7.99/€9.99)
· Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory HD (£7.99/€9.99)

Whole package is £23.99 on PSN (though buying single is still 2 pence cheaper :lol). Quite nice pricing considering it's cheaper than retail RRP.

btw. the disc version is now £17.85 at thehut.
Thinking of buying that, but wanted some GAF statement if those can be considered good ports etc.
edit: does someone know if you have to install the games even with the disc version?

SolidusDave said:
Whole package is £23.99 on PSN (though buying single is still 2 pence cheaper :lol). Quite nice pricing considering it's cheaper than retail RRP.

Okay so they did come down with the bundle price :p

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Sec0nd said:
I would kill for this on my Xbox. I've got a PS3 but I really want to play this on the xbox on which I played all the Splinter Cell games :(

Same here, except I don't have a PS3. Guess I'll be replaying the originals!

Noisepurge said:
Take them with a grain of salt, but they are based on the PC version assets so they do looks a lot better than the PS2 originals anyway.

*doh*

Was thinking they were Xbox comparisons.

Ok, so this gives hope that if Ubi brings these to the 360, they'll just upscale the 360 versions maybe?

Though it would need to be at least a 2 disc game as well.

mclaren777

I only want the first game but apparently I'l have to wait for that to be released on its own.

And can someone please confirm that we can invert the Y-axis?

Wow, are there really NO inverted controls?

Normally, controls wouldn't stop me from getting a game. But come on, I've been played inverted controls since forever. It would be near impossible for me to get used to that non-inverted shit.

Cornbread78

Pics look like great conversions... There are just waaaay too many games coming out right now.

Oh and "Where's the beef" OP? Nothing....

Installing. SC1 and CT are easily top 20 games all-time for me, I haven't played them in many years... these HD collections are giving me good excuses to revisit favorites, love it. The trophies are nice, too.

Would have been nice to have multiplayer, but I wouldn't have touched it anyway beyond getting a quick nostalgia fix, there's just no time with so many games coming out. 6-7 year old online games won't generate an audience big enough to make it worth Ubisoft's effort, especially on PS3.

SkyMasterson said:
Ok, so this gives hope that if Ubi brings these to the 360, they'll just upscale the 360 versions maybe?

Don't really know why publishers hate the 360. None of the HD trilogies are available to it :/

Silent Hill, Metal Gear and Zone of Enders are the first to come.

Yuripaw

Banned
I actually never played the xbox version of CT, I only played the PS2 version, and I know that the PC version (at the time) was the most superior version of the game. From what I understand, this trilogy has the PC versions of the games. I guess my question is how did Chaos Theory run on the original xbox version compared to this new ps3 version? Cuz I can easily get CT for xbox for like $4, but this collection is $40. Would like to know if this is worth getting.

DasTanK

stupid question but I'm kind of confused about the inverted controls. Is non-inverted (normal?) up is up and down is down on the right stick, and inverted is up is down and down is up on the right stick, or is it vice versa?

RedSwirl

Noisepurge said:
Don't really know why publishers hate the 360. None of the HD trilogies are available to it :/

Silent Hill, Metal Gear and Zone of Enders are the first to come.

It's because you can actually fit three last gen games on a single Blu-Ray disc. Those Konami collections will probably be multiple discs on Xbox.

DasTanK said:
stupid question but I'm kind of confused about the inverted controls. Is non-inverted (normal?) up is up and down is down on the right stick, and inverted is up is down and down is up on the right stick, or is it vice versa?
Yup.

By normal definition:

Normal: Push up on stick => look up; Push down on stick to look down.
Invert: Push up on stick => look down...etc.

I've seen a few games where they define it the other way, but those are rare as hell.

stuminus3

AlphaTwo00 said:
Yup.

By normal definition:

Normal: Push up on stick => look up; Push down on stick to look down.
Invert: Push up on stick => look down...etc.

I've seen a few games where they define it the other way, but those are rare as hell.
Ironically, Shadow of the Colossus defines it the other way, for both X and Y axis.

In SC, up is up, down is down

You can tell Ubisoft did the bare minimum on this. It's been years since I played it, but SC1 didn't seem to run any better than the Xbox version, though obviously the higher resolution makes it look a lot better on a HDTV. I hear a couple of instances of fancy lighting are missing, but I never noticed anything. The lighting is 99.99% intact and still very impressive for a game from 2002. Still, with so many framerate drops, a disappointing port.

Pandora Tomorrow looks a lot better, and despite this, seems to run a lot smoother. It seems to handle complex environments and lighting situations better. Less disappointing than SC1... yeah, it probably should and could run at 60, but at this point, who expects that from Ubisoft? All things considered, I'm pleased enough with its performance.

I haven't played Chaos Theory yet. I hope the pattern continues and this game runs the best yet, because I still expect it to look beautiful.

What I can say, another half-assed collection, but it's a collection of three of my favorite games ever. I fucking love having an excuse to play them for the first time in years. And I appreciate the wagonload of silver trophies I'm earning! Whoo!

BTW, if you're planning on getting platinums, rest assured (or not, if you're just a hoarder), these games put up a decent challenge. There's 5 gold trophies per game and they're all quite hardcore. Beyond my patience and skills, anyway. This is the one part of the collection that's well done, challenging but reasonable.

Cudder

I'm pretty much forcing myself to go through the games in order. I've beat them all multiple times, but I really wanted to try the superior version of Chaos Theory.

Yeah the trophies are hard as hell, some of them anyway. I don't know if I'm up to the challenge of getting those golds.

Huh I was under the impression that people were complaining about not being able to play with the "up is up, down is down" controls. I guess I'll check out this collection after all.

How do people play inverted? That's seems so bizarre to me. When I press left on the analog stick, I want it to go left.

nomis

RadioHeadAche said:
How do people play inverted? That's seems so bizarre to me. When I press left on the analog stick, I want it to go left.

How do people write with their left hand, man? It's fucking bizarre, I don't get it.

Well, I would have liked to have played Chaos Theory, but even after three data uninstalls/reinstalls, it keeps hanging up at the loading screen, so I can't play it. Wonderful.

Edit- huh, well the fourth data reinstall was the charm. Fucking irritating though... if this was any game but Chaos Theory, I would have given up.

Top Bottom