• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splitgate 2 announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Draugoth

Gold Member
Splitgate-2-Ann_07-18-24-1024x576.jpg

Source
1047 Games has announced free-to-play multiplayer first-person shooter Splitgate 2, a sequel to the 2021-released Splitgate. It will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and Epic Games Store in 2025.

“The original Splitgate‘s development was ambitious but scrappy,” said 1047 Games co-founder and CEO Ian Proulx in a press release. “The game was created from a dorm room, and the massive success and community it earned surpassed our wildest dreams. This time around, Splitgate 2 has been designed from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5 to deliver the AAA first-person shooter experience our fans deserve, with the series’ signature action completely overhauled by an all-star team composed of the most talented individuals in the industry. This is a revolutionary step forward for competitive shooters. It’s the perfect entry point for players new to the world of Splitgate and a comprehensive upgrade worthy of our existing community.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Let me be up front:

First game is awesome fun.

This trailer is NOT it. It’s just the same watered down generic shit we get spoon fed weekly now. Wannabe Apex vibe from the trailer.

This ain’t it…

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Interesting. Thats the first semi-AAA fps on UE5 that still targets PS4/XBO.

Assuming those wont get canceled that is. I reckon advanced UE5 features are only for PC/current-gen.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Had a lot of fun with the first one, but you could feel the jank around the edges. Glad they got to rework it. Competitive shooter fans are still the most well fed games out there lol.

nikos

I'll definitely try it.

Had fun with the first game but ultimately stopped playing, I think partially because aim assist was so strong. I also didn't really care for the portal mechanic.

Looks like they're rebranding to the Monday Night Combat/The Finals-style of shooter game show in an crowded arena.

yEH8vC.gif

I'm hoping this game lasts longer. I really liked Splitgate 1 for the Halo/Portal mashup that it was.

Redneckerz

I’m sorry but the way they just completely dropped support the first game turns me off any project they work on completely.
Surely you know why they did that, right?

FbqYdtMWQAAg6wP

Essentially they took the game as far as they could but decided Splitgate needed bigger funds and development - Which is what they have now, going from 20 devs to 170 with people worked on Ubisoft titles, GOW: Ragnarok and Call Of Duty. The first game was done by people who just got off game dev school, and now are working with veterans on the next game - Which seems as solid a reason i have seen one - to fulfill the original design they envisioned.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Surely you know why they did that, right?

FbqYdtMWQAAg6wP

Essentially they took the game as far as they could but decided Splitgate needed bigger funds and development - Which is what they have now, going from 20 devs to 170 with people worked on Ubisoft titles, GOW: Ragnarok and Call Of Duty. The first game was done by people who just got off game dev school, and now are working with veterans on the next game - Which seems as solid a reason i have seen one - to fulfill the original design they envisioned.

Hello Games has 45 employees and has just released yet another huge update for NMS whilst working on their next game:

So that doesn’t wash for me.

Redneckerz

Hello Games has 45 employees and has just released yet another huge update for NMS whilst working on their next game:

So that doesn’t wash for me.

Yep, those are the same games.

I gave you the reason why they did things. To me that seems solid. That you choose to bring in a completely different studio, with a completely different game/angle, that's on you. I don't think your initial comment warrants a complete ignoring by them, seems excessive.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yep, those are the same games.

I gave you the reason why they did things. To me that seems solid. That you choose to bring in a completely different studio, with a completely different game/angle, that's on you. I don't think your initial comment warrants a complete ignoring by them, seems excessive.
Not to me, and other studios doing amazing things with similar resource is relevant.

Zannegan

Splitgate's gameplay always looked intriguing, but I didn't have the hardware at the time to check it out. Then it died. So, a sequel is good news. Pity about the new aesthetic, but, to be completely fair, the original halo-mod look wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire either.

If they were hoping for a look that would help them stand out among the crowd, that ain't it. It might be "Genzfriendly," but I think that's more a marketing department assumption than a fact. The portal-centric gameplay might help it stand out, but if it gets popular enough Fortnite will sweep in with a new mode that just so happens to be identical, and it will be back to square one.

Regardless, the look isn't obnoxious enough to keep me from giving it a try someday... assuming it lasts longer than the first did. They took a huge risk dropping the first to work on the second full time. Here's hoping it works out for them.

Splitgate's gameplay always looked intriguing, but I didn't have the hardware at the time to check it out. Then it died. So, a sequel is good news. Pity about the new aesthetic, but, to be completely fair, the original halo-mod look wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire either.
This is correct, the old game was ugly in it's own way. It was already graphically outdated (including UI) when it released. What truly carried it was it's amazing gameplay, and thankfully it found itself a dedicated community during a time where Halo took a big backstep due to 343i.
If they were hoping for a look that would help them stand out among the crowd, that ain't it. It might be "Genzfriendly," but I think that's more a marketing department assumption than a fact. The portal-centric gameplay might help it stand out, but if it gets popular enough Fortnite will sweep in with a new mode that just so happens to be identical, and it will be back to square one.
And that's why I'm hoping the good gameplay and community will carry it for a second time around.

We have simply moved from 'this game is ugly and I don't like how it looks' to 'this game is ugly and I don't like how it looks, 2024 three letter edition'.

Is this the fastest that a GaaS has been replaced by a sequel? I feel like I was just considering playing this game and now it’s almost over.

I actually really enjoyed the first game. Gunplay was crisp, the portals worked flawlessly and weren't just a gimmick they added a lot of potential for some top tier plays. Just didn't take off and unfortunately here in Australia bots started to take over due to lack of real players. That's when I stopped playing.

anthony2690

I'll never understand why they keep doing these awful cgi trailers to reveal games.

Dragon age veil guard and this really stand out for how awful their reveal trailers were this year.

What the hell is going on with all those crappy hero/character shooters that pop up every 8 seconds?
Haven't watched the trailer because I'm at work but the first game wasn't a hero shooter so hopefully this one isn't. Did they actually say it is a hero shooter or are people just guessing again?

Top Bottom