• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spooky but plausible anecdotes/experiences you've read on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry113

Banned
I'm addicted to reading people's stories on /r/nosleep and /r/unresolved mysteries. What are some that you've read and remember from time to time? Or do you have one yourself that you'd like to share?

Here's one that I just came across. Probably shouldn't have read this just before I'm about to have a mini road trip. Link to the post: http://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedM...he_most_mysterious_thing_you_ever_was/crq28lx

Here's the absolutely most terrifying experience I've ever had with a stranger. This could have definitely ended in a very horrible way:

I lived in New Mexico for several years before moving to the Midwest. My friend, Amy, and I (both females) would spend many days exploring the remote corners of New Mexico, discovering abandoned ghost towns and enjoying the quiet, desolate beauty of the desert.

One afternoon in March 2010, we were traveling from Ruidoso to Albuquerque. Always up for exploring, we took a back road rather than traveling the more direct highway.

One leg of our journey had us on NM55. It’s a remote, teeny, tiny two lane highway. We loved those types of roads- up until that day.
This part of New Mexico is flat and desolate desert. You can see for miles. And there is virtually nothing except dirt and rock between towns- and towns can be miles apart.

So we were on NM55 going north. After a few minutes, we saw a white pickup truck up ahead of us going the same direction. Suddenly, he stopped his truck sideways in the middle of the highway- blocking both lanes. We were about a mile away from him and as we got closer, we began to get uneasy. We could see no reason for him to do this. We were the only other vehicle out there and we began wondering if we should turn around rather than come up to him and have to stop.
We were about a half a mile away from him, when he pulled over to the opposite side of the highway- but his truck was still pointed the direction we were going. We tried to relax a little. Surely, this guy was a rancher or something. Maybe he was checking something on his land.

As we passed him, we noticed a few things: 1) There was only one person in the truck- a middle aged guy who never took his eyes off us and 2) He was talking into a walkie-talkie.

A few seconds after we passed him, he pulled back onto the highway and started following us. But, he never got too close. He would get to within a few car lengths and then drop back a little and then speed back up again to within a few car lengths. We were getting nervous. We realized how alone we really were. We had seen no other traffic on that road and we hadn't told anyone about our 'great idea' to take this detour. We checked our cell phones and neither one had signal- typical for remote New Mexico, but scary given our present situation.

Amy was driving, and speeding up, while I frantically checked the map, hoping to find a road that would have more traffic. There was no other road. We had to travel this one to get to the next town (Mountainair). Turning around to go back the other way didn’t seem like a good option.
After a few minutes, we saw another pickup truck coming towards us. He was going very, very slowly- maybe 20 MPH- if that. This pickup was old and beat-up whereas the one behind us was newer.

Amy had us up to 75mph (which wasn't typical for us on these 55mph highways) and we blew by the old pick-up. As we passed it, we saw that it was another middle aged guy- and he was talking into a walkie-talkie.

After the white pick-up passed him, he pulled a U-turn and pulled in behind it.

As we watched all this, we could see the white pick-up truck guy talking into his walkie-talkie.

No doubt these two knew each other. We were being deliberately followed. And for the first- and only time- in my life, I felt hunted.
They stayed right behind us. We watched for obstacles in the road. We truly thought 'old, beat-up pickup guy' had set up a trap in the road and our vehicle would be disabled somehow. We talked about driving into the fields (we were in an SUV). But this was obviously 'their territory' and we were afraid of what would happen if we went off road and got cornered. So, we stayed on the highway.

By now white pick-up truck guy was right on top of us. We could see him talking into the walkie-talkie and he stayed right on our bumper. And old, beat-up pick-up truck guy was right on top of him. The three of us sped down the highway.

The white pick-up inched closer. His maneuvering and edging closer made it apparent that he was trying to bump us. I watched helplessly as he got to within inches of our back bumper. Amy floored it. We were passing 80mph and edging up to 90mph. The road was flat and deserted, but any little thing going wrong would have been catastrophic. We absolutely were not going to slow down or stop if we could help it.

The white pick-up pulled into the opposite lane and started to gain speed. The only thing we could think of was that he wanted to pass us and get in front of us. If he got in front of us and his buddy was behind us, then we’d be boxed in and trapped.

We looked frantically at the rocky desert on both sides of us. Our only option was to off-road it. Should we risk it? Could we speed through the desert and make it to safety in one piece?

As we topped a small incline, we saw a sign that said ‘Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument’ and it pointed towards a road on the left. And right at that moment, a blue pick-up truck pulled out of that road and onto the highway in front of us. As we came up on the blue pick-up, we saw the plates said 'US Park Service'. We looked at each other and then looked behind us- both pickup trucks did U-turns and went the other way. We followed the blue pick-up to Mountainair and then made our way to Albuquerque.

I don't know exactly what those guys’ intentions were, but they weren’t good. There is something seriously wrong out there. I notified the State police and they said they would keep an eye on things.

This area is very near Belen, NM which is where Tara Calico was abducted. It’s also about 100 miles from Elephant Butte, NM which is where David Parker Ray had his little secret torture laboratory. We didn’t put all that together until later. Even though David Parker Ray had died by the time this happened to us, we do believe that there are others out there like him.

And whoever abducted Tara has never been caught.

Or maybe we came into meth lab territory. But since this happened on an actual highway- rather than a back country road- I tend to discount the meth lab theory. Whatever is going on out there, it’s not good.

And here's the stretch of desolate highway in new mexico on google maps she provided of the incident: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33....a9fa1083dc!2m2!1d-106.241127!2d34.5203411!3e0

Heel

B6sNDiVIMAIFgBk.png

A few years back, I was browsing one of the "scary story" threads on this very forum, and someone typed something up about someone who worked at a place that contained a very intricate array of large vents or tunnels. Something like that. My vague memories aren't going to be of much assistance here, so my apologies. From what I recall, these tunnels were fairly intricate and labyrinthine. You could get lost inside if you weren't very careful. I'm not sure what scenario or setting would require something like this, but I'm probably forgetting a key detail (or it's completely made up).

So, I think there were employees who were servicing these tunnels or had to venture inside them from time to time. I think a new person went inside to fix something, or check something, and he couldn't find his way back. As he made his way through the inner recesses of these shafts, he eventually stumbled across a dead body. Seized with dread, panic, and all the other horrible feelings this would elicit, he shuffled backward and tried to get out of there as fast as humanly possible.

Again, my memories are hazy, so I tried to fill in the gaps. Does anyone remember this story? If so, can you provide a link? Having typed it out, it sounds dubious, but I thought I might as well share it. It really disturbed me when I first read it; I made the mistake of doing so late at night and right before bed.

Haint

Well, I've experienced this, and others allegedly have, but it's not like, a big thing. But other people have claimed to have been called by the number 666 too. Just 666. I swear on everything that matters it really happened, and when I answered, it was just faint static. I'm taking that shit to my grave
(And maybe beyond? Oh, fuck me)
, think whatever you want, man.

Not sure if you're joking, but caller ID's are easily spoofed, they can make the name and number appear as whatever they want.

honestly missing people's is fascinating . sure some people go missing and don't want to be found, but I'm sure there's a lot of crazy shit out there when it comes to abductions. Abductions are crazy because you can only guess why people get snatched up from off the street .

Disgraced

A few years back, I was browsing one of the "scary story" threads on this very forum, and someone typed something up about someone who worked at a place that contained a very intricate array of large vents or tunnels. Something like that. My vague memories aren't going to be of much assistance here, so my apologies. From what I recall, these tunnels were fairly intricate and labyrinthine. You could get lost inside if you weren't very careful. I'm not sure what scenario or setting would require something like this, but I'm probably forgetting a key detail (or it's completely made up).

So, I think there were employees who were servicing these tunnels or had to venture inside them from time to time. I think a new person went inside to fix something, or check something, and he couldn't find his way back. As he made his way through the inner recesses of these shafts, he eventually stumbled across a dead body. Seized with dread, panic, and all the other horrible feelings this would elicit, he shuffled backward and tried to get out of there as fast as humanly possible.

Again, my memories are hazy, so I tried to fill in the gaps. Does anyone remember this story? If so, can you provide a link? Having typed it out, it sounds dubious, but I thought I might as well share it. It really disturbed me when I first read it; I made the mistake of doing so late at night and right before bed.
SCP-087?
Not sure if you're joking, but caller ID's are easily spoofed, they can make the name and number appear as whatever they want.
Not joking! This was years ago, back in the Nokia era. Maybe I'm an uninformed simpleton, if I am, please inform me, break the paranormania. But I've looked into this before, and haven't come up with a concrete explanation.

[Edit:] I mean, the first spoofing sites were just popping up back then, and maybe I was on the randomly accumulated list of some ancient Internet troll trying to give random unsuspecting innocents the heebie jeebies, but naw, man, I ain't buyin' it.

kingwingin

One time I was driving down my back lane on a cold winter night and out of nowhere a ghostly apparition floats towards the car and through the windshield. I was legit spooked and so was my girlfriend at the time. We knew we saw a ghost!

Actually Turns out it was gas coming out a manhole. But was fun being spooked for the night.

Rembrandt

Banned
honestly missing people's is fascinating . sure some people go missing and don't want to be found, but I'm sure there's a lot of crazy shit out there when it comes to abductions. Abductions are crazy because you can only guess why people get snatched up from off the street .

yeah, it's fascinating and terrifying. one that always haunts me is Tara Calico just because of the photograph.

Unidentified_kidnapping_victims_1989.jpg

just randomly left in a parking lot in Florida though she was kidnapped in New Mexcio. So weird and unsettling.

but OT: /r/letsnotmeet is great for this

jerry113

Banned

It's the missing persons cases that leave behind a trail of clues that fascinate me. Here's one from a few years ago. A woman hitchhiker leaves an audio cellphone recording of her talking to the unidentified male driver whilst in the car, before shes vanishes without a trace. You can listen to the audio here (police released it hoping someone will recognize the voice):

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/3...turbing-voice-recording-of-missing-woman-man/

edit: nevermind, that's an old news story. Her remains were found eventually.

jerry113

Banned
yeah, it's fascinating and terrifying. one that always haunts me is Tara Calico just because of the photograph.

I read somewhere on reddit.com/r/unresolvedmysteries that a new alleged photo of tara calico popped up last month somewhere on 4chan along with coordinates to somewhere north of quebec. Could be a bunch of poppycock, though.

Rembrandt

Banned
I read somewhere on reddit.com/r/unresolvedmysteries that a new alleged photo of tara calico popped up last month somewhere on 4chan along with coordinates to somewhere north of quebec. Could be a bunch of poppycock, though.

That would be absolutely nuts. I'm sure somebody on 4chan will look into it. Seems like everybody in this thread goes to the same subreddits, lol.

SCP-087?Not joking! This was years ago, back in the Nokia era. Maybe I'm an uninformed simpleton, if I am, please inform me, break the paranormania. But I've looked into this before, and haven't come up with a concrete explanation.

[Edit:] I mean, the first spoofing sites were just popping up back then, and maybe I was on the randomly accumulated list of some ancient Internet troll trying to give random unsuspecting innocents the heebie jeebies, but naw, man, I ain't buyin' it.

Yup it's much more likely that a devil figure constructed by the imagination of humanity called you under the widespread number of 666 and not the actual translated number of 616.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well I wasn't gunna sleep anyways. Time to lock the doors.

Never heard of Tara Calico. That's messed up. This story in the OP might be my worst fear. Fuck driving on desolate roads. Any time it feels like such an obviously bad idea (driving down a desert highway/walking down the hallways of a home with no power/taking a shortcut down and alley way in the dead of night). I just nope the fuck out and find a different way or just stay put.

Fuck that noise.

Agreed, when it was on Netflix, I used to binge watch Disappeared. Some were obvious cases of foul play, but others, just.. baffling. I'm always reminded of this exchange from American Psycho:

Det. Kimball: It's just strange. One day someone's walking around, going to work, alive, and then--
Patrick: Nothing.
Det. Kimball: People just disappear.
Patrick: The earth just opens up... and swallows them.
Det. Kimball: Eerie. Really eerie.

Anyway, on topic, there was a story here in one of the scary story threads that really unnerved me for some reason. I'll see if I can find it.

Agreed, when it was on Netflix, I used to binge watch Disappeared. Some were obvious cases of foul play, but others, just.. baffling.

I was so addicted to that show. I binge watched that and Deadly Women. Deadly Women has some incredibly disturbing/gory episodes. I hate that they removed ID shows from Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom