• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

ULTROS! said:
xf20yx.jpg

Playstation 3
EyeToy for the Playstation 3
Playstation Move
The op really should change this to its real name which is Playstation Eye.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Megadragon15 said:
The op really should change this to its real name which is Playstation Eye.

Fixed. Thanks!

tanod

when is my burrito
Bigger living room required but one of my favorite things to do in table tennis after I score a point is walk up close to the camera and wave my paddle close to my opponent's face. It's really unfortunate that you can't actually smack the table or the other player with your paddle. If that was the case, it'd be my instant game of the year.

I played a bunch yesterday and I literally have to take the day off today. Right arm hurts like a son of a bitch.

Toki767

Was playing this for like 4 hours with friends last night. So fun. Two of my friends tried to play the gladiator dueling like who would on the Wii just moving rapidly and they just wore themselves out without anyone even winning. :lol

reminder

TheMissingLink said:
Oh man, I love bocce ball!

Sounds silly, but I may get a Playstation Move and this game JUST FOR IT.

No, it doesn't. I bought Move and Sports Champions basically only for Disc Golf :D

Stike

ULTROS! said:
Hmm... I don't think so (haven't fully explored the game yet). I know you can take a photo after winning the cup.
People should be aware not to publish those winning pics on Facebook if they played the game in undies :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Earl Cazone said:
They need to release the different diciplines on psn, so i can only buy table tennis
Thats an awesome idea. Introduce extra sports in the future as full PSN games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, pretty sure this game will get some DLC (cover states it).

I hope they release Squash and Badminton.

Stampy

Mad_Ban said:
Tennis would be awesome, but the play area would be a problem with 1:1. :lol

I guess tennis with Move will work in a similar manner as volleyball. (the player moves around the terrain regardless of your standing position, whereas your input with move reflects on the type of shot you perform (backhand, forehand, spin, lob, etc.); I guess only thing that will matter is if you get closer to the TV, then the player will move to the net. But regarding left to right movement, I am presuming that it will be completely controlled by AI.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Toki767 said:
Was playing this for like 4 hours with friends last night. So fun. Two of my friends tried to play the gladiator dueling like who would on the Wii just moving rapidly and they just wore themselves out without anyone even winning. :lol

:lol

Angst

I liked the demo for SC (table tennis - yay!) so I will pick this up tomorrow after work.

Nice job on the OT, Ultros. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Table Tennis and Bocce Ball are beyond anything ever released in terms of motion accuracy.

This is a killer app. You simply need this game .

Corto

Mad_Ban said:
As I said in the other Move thread:

I hate Kenji (sp?) in table tennis with a fiery passion.

He ALWAYS does a really short serve that I miss 9 times out of 10 (usually dont make contact or I hit it into the net).

I wish they put the AI as right handers, just to see how different the play would be.

Pro tip. If you got a wooden floor in your gaming room play barefooted. I will move around more quickly and reach almost every ball that the AI throws at me if I play that way.

And also, in the first day I made really strong and brisk movements (90ish km/h) to get flaming balls but due to the lack of feedback from the impact with the ball I overstretched my shoulder tendons. Had to rest for 2 days, and then I decided to make more deliberate movements not so brisk and tried to hit the ball early just after it bounced on the table and that improved considerably my game... and my sored arm! ;)

ULTROS! said:
Yeah, pretty sure this game will get some DLC (cover states it).

I hope they release Squash and Badminton.

Oh. My. God. YES! And kudos for the great OP Ultros. ;)

jiggles

Banned
My favourite thing is when you lean forward for a shot in TT, and, forgetting the thing is still tracking where you are, stay leaning forward, begin your backswing for the next shot, and end up smacking the ball backwards with the back of your paddle, because it was actually behind you.

How many goddamn times until I learn? :lol

Stampy

Corto said:
I decided to make more deliberate movements not so brisk and tried to hit the ball early just after it bounced on the table and that improved considerably my game... and my sored arm! ;)

Hmm, the ball really shouldn't be hit too early. As far as I have experimented, if I hit the ball earlier than needed, then the ball usually goes of the table, because most of the time opponent is sending curved or flaming shots, and you really don't have time to angle your racket and anticipate where the ball will bounce. I am just wondering how far are you in the tournament with this strategy (silver, gold, champion)?

Corto

Stampy said:
Hmm, the ball really shouldn't be hit too early. As far as I have experimented, if I hit the ball earlier than needed, then the ball usually goes of the table, because most of the time opponent is sending curved or flaming shots, and you really don't have time to angle your racket and anticipate where the ball will bounce. I am just wondering how far are you in the tournament with this strategy (silver, gold, champion)?

Silver still. I'm trying to 3 star every stage first.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just read there will be DLC for this game. New sports would be awesome, but they could only release new characters or costumes...

Remember to stretch your arm muscles (your triceps, in particular) prior to playing. I didn't stretch at all the first day so I've been in fairly moderate pain since.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Archery question: I'm playing with two Move controllers, which is great. But it only calibrates the controller for your arrow hand, not the one holding the bow, and I'm finding that I have to raise the bow controller unreasonably high to reflect what should happen on screen.

Anyone else have that or have a remedy for that?

Reknoc

I didn't realise this had Bowls, hope they get some Cricket DLC aswell.

Definitly getting this when I get Move.

Redbeard

Banned
Move really is phenomenal technology. Every day I move up the ranks in Sports Champions I'm improving my game, the depth is simply amazing.

I liken Sports Champions to 'Party games for adults'. When I purchased my Wii I was dismayed at the lack of precision and how it was mostly a gesture based gimmick. I was excited for motion technology, but let down by the reality of the Wii's limitations.

Move is great for the casual or the hardcore. It's a very fun, incredibly demanding game if you put the time into it.

Unfortunately it was brushed off as simply a Wii Sports clone, and I don't think the reviewers put in enough time to properly review it and become acclimated with how much better the game gets as you improve your own skill. Not that it got bad reviews, mind you, but honestly this is easily the best of the genre by a wide margin.

I don't think many of the reviewers were truly appreciate enough of what Sports Champions is managing to accomplish. It's a very well designed game.

goomba said:
Waggle died with Wii Motion plus.

Unfortunately not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqi2eaY_gZ0

DryvBy

Sucks we don't get the real woman on the cover. In America, we'd say that was false advertising anyway so I guess it makes sense.

On topic, my Sports game is here, waiting.... I even haev the Nav controller... but no Move controllers. THANK YOU, Newegg!

Corto

mik said:
Archery question: I'm playing with two Move controllers, which is great. But it only calibrates the controller for your arrow hand, not the one holding the bow, and I'm finding that I have to raise the bow controller unreasonably high to reflect what should happen on screen.

Anyone else have that or have a remedy for that?

Camera on top of the TV or shooting from the hip. Hopefully one of these should do the trick...

Agent X

I got Sports Champions with my starter bundle the other day. It's a great game, and a fitting pack-in for the bundle as well.

I now realize that I have to have a on day/off day with Gladiator Duel or I will suffer.

Now they need to add a leg work out game as DLC and we're set!

Say no to waggle! :lol

teiresias

2vdohtu.jpg

I swear, I'm going to need to learn to play left-handed if I keep playing it as much, my right arm is going to be worn out!

Jeels

Toki767 said:
Two of my friends tried to play the gladiator dueling like who would on the Wii just moving rapidly and they just wore themselves out without anyone even winning. :lol

281savd.gif

Picking it up alongside two moves after I get this week's paycheck. =)

Mad_Ban

krypt0nian said:
I now realize that I have to have a on day/off day with Gladiator Duel or I will suffer.

Now they need to add a leg work out game as DLC and we're set!

Say no to waggle! :lol
guywithmovesattachedtohisfeet.jpg

I can't find the pic for the life of me :(

AniHawk

Redbeard said:
Unfortunately it was brushed off as simply a Wii Sports clone, and I don't think the reviewers put in enough time to properly review it and become acclimated with how much better the game gets as you improve your own skill. Not that it got bad reviews, mind you, but honestly this is easily the best of the genre by a wide margin.

I don't think many of the reviewers were truly appreciate enough of what Sports Champions is managing to accomplish. It's a very well designed game.

Yeah, I don't see many reviewers in general paying attention to motion control games. Part of it is due to the games not really fitting with their audience, and part of it is due to 66% of the motion control devices out there are peripherals.

I think Sony does have the right idea though, and I think they're more serious about it than Microsoft is in certain ways. Or at least, they understand it better than Microsoft.

expy

Banned
Going to pick up the bundle tomorrow. Will need an additional PS EYE (for use with another PC for webcam).

JWong

Banned
Corto said:
Bad character modeling, lifeless and really low res.
jk great pic man!
I took a picture as I was licking my blade after winning Gladiator.

I did not keep it as I was wearing sleep wear.

Reknoc

JWong said:

I don't think I'd want to play Move when I'm in my "sleep wear", neighbours probably wouldn't much appreciate it either.

Corto

JWong said:

I think we need to make a poll to know how many of us play this game on our underwear. :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom