• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Mush

Luckily I have a local video rental store that has Moves available. Was so so close to giving into the hype and picking up a Starter kit over the weekend, all because of the great impressions in the Move thread (I needed a PS eye anyway for GT5 head-tracking). Going out now to rent a Move/PS Eye/Sports Champions.

dronde

Neo Member
Mush said:
Luckily I have a local video rental store that has Moves available. Was so so close to giving into the hype and picking up a Starter kit over the weekend, all because of the great impressions in the Move thread (I needed a PS eye anyway for GT5 head-tracking). Going out now to rent a Move/PS Eye/Sports Champions.

come back and tell us your impressions.

Afrikan

dronde said:
my friends going at it. http://youtu.be/7SLRFn4DHyI?hd=1

they love it, my sister loves it, the wife loves it and my co-worker loves it. So far so good.

great video man, they were really into it....especially guy on the right who was in full stance :lol .....I'm laughing, but yeah, in this game you need to be in a stance, or you won't be able to recover on the variety of returns.

do they game alot?

I plan to bring my PSEYE and 2 move controllers to my cousin's in a couple of days....hopefully I can record something....they are not gamers, but I think they'll pick up on it quickly.

dronde

Neo Member
Afrikan said:
great video man, they were really into it....especially guy on the right who was in full stance :lol .....I'm laughing, but yeah, in this game you need to be in a stance, or you won't be able to recover on the variety of returns.

do they game alot?

I plan to bring my PSEYE and 2 move controllers to my cousin's in a couple of days....hopefully I can record something....they are not gamers, but I think they'll pick up on it quickly.

Not really The one on the right games a lot (none of them play Table tennis before)

FoxHimself said:
Been playing this for a few hours now, and I can't wait to see Nintendo's response to this. I love this motion battle shit they've started.

I doubt they care. This is basically what was expected, if you follow Blue Ocean Strategy. It's kind of like, "Well, took you four years to get here, but okay." Nintendo has been reaping the rewards of delivering a value innovation that brought a very affordable new experience to the masses much earlier than their competitors could, basically making them irrelevant.

If they are going to continue on that same path, they won't get into an arms race over motion control. Instead they'll look at ways to deliver something that can't be easily replicated by the competition again.

Going through Silver Cup in Table Tennis and it's just awesome. I did play some more Gladiator but I think it's my least favorite. I'll sit there and swing low while the opponents shield is high and it just doesn't connect to anything. Sadly the 5 year old couldn't really do anything in SC ... but I'm sure something else will come out more for them ... might try Start The Party if I can find it used since he has so many things to play with anyway and it would be taking away from my gamin' time :lol

I'm loving Table Tennis though, it just feels so precise, about 90% of my fuck ups I think "yep, that was me" ... the other 10% I'm just not sure what happened, it'll just go out of bounds.

I know it's new game fever and all, but I wasn't even remotely this into Wii Sports when I first got that ... the precision just adds so much to the game it makes me feel like I'm actually getting better at the games.

beast786

flyinpiranha said:
Going through Silver Cup in Table Tennis and it's just awesome. I did play some more Gladiator but I think it's my least favorite. I'll sit there and swing low while the opponents shield is high and it just doesn't connect to anything. Sadly the 5 year old couldn't really do anything in SC ... but I'm sure something else will come out more for them ... might try Start The Party if I can find it used since he has so many things to play with anyway and it would be taking away from my gamin' time :lol

I'm loving Table Tennis though, it just feels so precise, about 90% of my fuck ups I think "yep, that was me" ... the other 10% I'm just not sure what happened, it'll just go out of bounds.

I know it's new game fever and all, but I wasn't even remotely this into Wii Sports when I first got that ... the precision just adds so much to the game it makes me feel like I'm actually getting better at the games.

I had the same issue as you did with Gladiator. Until i realize you have to press the T button. If you dont he will still swing but wont register/ make any contact. Also, you can only press One T button at a time, either the shield or the sword.

beast786 said:
I had the same issue as you did with Gladiator. Until i realize you have to press the T button. If you dont he will still swing but wont register/ make any contact. Also, you can only press One T button at a time, either the shield or the sword.

Ah, so you hold down T when you swing to make a stronger swing? And just flailing around without holding T is just that ... flailing?

I'll have to give it another shot. I honestly thought it was just me because playing Table Tennis just proves this tech is up to speed. I honestly can't believe I'm moving the paddle around like I would a real paddle!

reminder said:
In the character selection you can press O to change the outfits.

Ah, sweet, I'll have to check this out.

beast786

flyinpiranha said:
Ah, so you hold down T when you swing to make a stronger swing? And just flailing around without holding T is just that ... flailing?

I'll have to give it another shot. I honestly thought it was just me because playing Table Tennis just proves this tech is up to speed. I honestly can't believe I'm moving the paddle around like I would a real paddle!

Exactly, if you dont press the T button it wont register as a HIT. Without pressing the T you will see the sword moving but it wont register. Also keep in mind. That you can only press 1 T at a time. Either the sword or the shield.

check out this dude playing with 2 moves Gladiator Duel on a 106 inch projector the only light source is his moves and his projector. The beauty of this video is to see the 1:1 action(watch this guy flipped his weapon down at the 1min 2sec mark) and how well this guy can play. I don't know if he's on bronze level or not but it really shows off how good this game is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZP92RBBKQ

Same video but its the battle for who can get their super strike first(4min 56sec) and the cpu goes HAM(hard at the moment), and he up's the ante.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZP92RBBKQ#t=4m56s

flipping the move doward the weapon and watch it being done on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZP92RBBKQ#t=1m01s

Vandiger

I can't believe some people are already on Championship level of ping pong. I'm freaking stuck on the 3rd opponent of silver level. Have to hone up my ping pong skills, free play with 5 sets at 21 should do it.

Brinbe

Glad to see the positive impressions in here. Really gonna pick up Move soon, think it has such good potential.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gluv65 said:
check out this dude playing with 2 moves Gladiator Duel on a 106 inch projector the only light source is his moves and his projector. The beauty of this video is to see the 1:1 action and how well this guy can play. I don't know if he's on bronze level or not but it really shows off how good this game is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZP92RBBKQ
Wow, that is a fantastic video.

Also I feel like a moron for not knowing the T button/sword thing. :lol

Mofo

Posted a goofy video of the kids waggling with Sports Champions this afternoon...

Video here

The boy really digs it, but the Wii has made them both a bit jumpy when it comes to motion games.

First table tennis game down on the Bronze difficulty. I'm sold.

The depth of the whole Move setup is something that just keeps surprising me. Very fun
I was actually moving around and everything.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
MikeE21286 said:
Just opened up my copy. Very impressed with the table tennis game after only playing the tutorial thus far.

Then I think you'll be even more impressed when you go up the higher difficulties and the assists are removed. Soooo goood.

chubigans said:
Wow, that is a fantastic video.

Dude, join the club! I'm going to have to tell the kid to hold down T now too, maybe he'll have better luck with it!

Mofo said:
Posted a goofy video of the kids waggling with Sports Champions this afternoon...

Video here

The boy really digs it, but the Wii has made them both a bit jumpy when it comes to motion games.

Ha! Same issue with the 5 year old. He has a Wii at his fathers house and he was shaking that shit around like crazy ... it's hard to unteach what the Wii has taught it seems.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Mofo said:

Video here

thats cute... The wii really has ruin the way kids expect motion controls to work.

scitek

JWong said:
Just beat bronze cup in Gladiator.

My arm is so sore.
Just wanted to say to anyone not used to playing these types of games, be careful how much you do. I played so much tennis when Wii Sports first came out that I had tendonitis in my elbow for about a year. Every time I picked up something heavy at work it hurt like a bastard.

Disc golf is FANTASTIC.

Table Tennis is #1, but this isn't so far off from being #2. Takes me back to playing it back at Stanford a good 15 years ago.

I still haven't touched Bocce yet at all or volleyball for more than 10 minutes.

Mr.Green

bobbytkc said:
Then I think you'll be even more impressed when you go up the higher difficulties and the assists are removed. Soooo goood.
I'm near the end of the silver cup and I didn't even noticed assists were turned off. :lol

TT is indeed very impressive.

teiresias

chubigans said:

I don't think the T button thing is right at all. I've constantly been able to make hits with the sword and haven't held down the T-button on the sword Move ever. The manual also says nothing about holding the T-button to do anything with your sword.

There's a Quick Tip screen on Gladiators that says "On you Shield Move hold T and shield tracks your movement" or something like that (and it's in the manual too) - which I've always found odd considering my shield tracks my Shield Move's movement without me holding T and blocks blows fine without me holding T. The only time I've had to hold the T-button is to do a shield smash.

Redbeard

Banned
The great thing about this game is that it's not just a party title, either.

I've been playing by myself, going through the challenges, I've just now gotten to the gold level in Table Tennis and I've probably played for over 10 hours.

If I were to master every sport, it would probably take me over 100 hours easily. It has a shitload of content for a title that has only 6 events, but it's insanely deep and that's the the critical element.

Toki767

The T button controlling the shield is really only for when you want to shield bash or if you're playing the game with just one move controller. Pressing the T button switches to your shield instead of your sword. Doesn't do anything for the sword if you're playing with 2 controllers though.

Belfast

flyinpiranha said:

Where Gladiator was concerned, I've found myself "not connecting" with the opponent, either, until I figured out what I was doing wrong. The best thing to do is remember that this game also recognizes depth, and so often I was sort of "swinging behind my shield."

In real swordplay, swinging means removing your cover, which in Gladiator Duel translates to you lunging forward as you strike. You won't always connect if you're just swinging from your defensive stance, you have to lower your guard some, and lean forward, throwing your chest and shoulder into a swipe as you move your arm in an arc.

I haven't had any problems since realizing this. :)

Dante

sonycowboy said:
Disc golf is FANTASTIC.

Table Tennis is #1, but this isn't so far off from being #2. Takes me back to playing it back at Stanford a good 15 years ago.

I still haven't touched Bocce yet at all or volleyball for more than 10 minutes.

Disc Golf is the closest thing to a videogame drug I've ever come across, So DAMN ADDICTING.

boiled goose

good with gravy
For those who have Wii sports resort and this game:

Besides less drift and the constant need to recalibrate, are there any great advantages of Move over motion+. You can directly compare the games like archery, table tennis, disc golf, gladiator to sword duel, bocce to bowling.

If it is much better, it s a great step forward for motion gaming.

Afrikan

Dante said:
Disc Golf is the closest thing to a videogame drug I've ever come across, So DAMN ADDICTING.

don't forget, if you want...you can use custom soundtrack while you play.... although I do like hearing the environment.....I put on some relaxing music sometimes.

as far as Gladiator Duel, I'm about to download this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1yayvmy3w4

fehzes.jpg

amtentori said:
For those who have Wii sports resort and this game:

Besides less drift and the constant need to recalibrate, are there any great advantages of Move over motion+. You can directly compare the games like archery, table tennis, disc golf, gladiator to sword duel, bocce to bowling.

If it is much better, it s a great step forward for motion gaming.

Move can handle depth perception unlike Motion+.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Table Tennis!

If you like Table Tennis, you know, the real sports, then you like this game. It's basiczlly the same, but coming out from your TV.

It is incredible to get the illusion to play ping pong (we call it like that in french).

Sony has a winner with Move and with this game, there is nothing that comes close to it in terms of precision, control depth. The learning curve is Big.

Can't wait to try it with friends!

cgcg

You don't need to hit the T button in order for your weapon to register hits. The problem is I think some of you are holding down the T button for your shield and that's when the hits don't register.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but hiding your Move controller let's you charge your special move meter. Just put in behind your back. :D Another neat thing is you can actually break the objects outside of the ring if you knock your opponent into them. Watching those columns crumple was awesome :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmm... Maybe I can try platinuming this game. So far I've only got 14% of the trophies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Marty Chinn said:
Move can handle depth perception unlike Motion+.

please dont reply if you dont know what you are talking about. i dont want to correct people. i want to get an assessment of something i am unfortunately not able to test myself. .

The wiimote only can handle depth perception if pointed at the screen using IR camera.

the move does recalibration better since the camera on the Eye can always recalibrate and track without the need to point the mote towards the screen.

jax (old)

Banned
amtentori said:
please dont reply if you dont know what you are talking about. i dont want to correct people. i want to get an assessment of something i am unfortunately not able to test myself. .

The wiimote only can handle depth perception if pointed at the screen using IR camera.

With motion+ you can "calculate" depth by using the gyroscopes on motion+ to detect linear motion and therefore track motion on any axis, including depth. (like i said before, the issues is recalibration and drift) but it can do it alright.

the move does recalibration better since the camera on the Eye can always recalibrate and track without the need to point the mote towards the screen.

wtf are you talking about?

Redbeard

Banned
amtentori said:

With motion+ you can "calculate" depth by using the gyroscopes on motion+ to detect linear motion and therefore track motion on any axis, including depth. (like i said before, the issues is recalibration and drift) but it can do it alright.

He was talking about 3D tracking. It's something that the Playstation Move is able to do easily thanks to the camera and glowing sphere. It tracks how far the user moves to the left, right, and towards the screen and away from the screen.

Wii mote is only really able to do orientation and pointing accurately, but not three dimensional positioning.

I purchased a Wii for motion controls on launch day, and the difference between this and the Wii is night and day. Motion plus helps, but it's still nowhere near the experience I'm getting with Sports Champions.

The 3D tracking is critical for games like table tennis and it really does bring motion control to a whole new level.

amtentori said:

What? What I said is 100% correct. Motion+ doesn't do any type of depth perception. Only the IR sensor and like you said it is only if you're pointing it at the screen. However, the Move can handled depth perception at any angle which makes it by far more accurate and something that the Wii really can't handle.

You need not try anything but the demo of Tumble to see this.

Edit- Maybe 3D tracking is probably a better term. In more technical terms, the Move can handle Z space position and Motion+ can't in any way. Only The WiiMote IR can if you're pointing at the screen which limits how you can use it to handle Z depth.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Redbeard said:
He was talking about 3D tracking. It's something that the Playstation Move is able to do easily thanks to the camera and glowing sphere. It tracks how far the user moves to the left, right, and towards the screen and away from the screen.

Wii mote is only really able to do orientation and pointing accurately, but not three dimensional positioning.

I purchased a Wii for motion controls on launch day, and the difference between this and the Wii is night and day. Motion plus helps, but it's still nowhere near the experience I'm getting with Sports Champions.

The 3D tracking is critical for games like table tennis and it really does bring motion control to a whole new level.

Wii on launch day =/= motion plus. have you played table tennis or frisbee on wii sports resort?

Marty Chinn said:
What? What I said is 100% correct. Motion+ doesn't do any type of depth perception. Only the IR sensor and like you said it is only if you're pointing it at the screen. However, the Move can handled depth perception at any angle which makes it by far more accurate and something that the Wii really can't handle.

You need not try anything but the demo of Tumble to see this.

Edit- Maybe 3D tracking is probably a better term. In more technical terms, the Move can handle Z space position and Motion+ can't in any way. Only The WiiMote IR can if you're pointing at the screen which limits how you can use it to handle Z depth.

it doesnt do depth perception in itself, but it can calculate depth. Have you played frisbee games on wii sport resort? if I wind my arm back (without tilting or pointing at the screen) the frisbee on the game tracks that motion. THAT IS TRACKING MOTION IN THE Z AXIS. again, it is not being tracked with a camera, but it is doing 3D motion. if the wiimote was able to recalibrate without having to get pointed at the screen (which is done automatically on wiisports resort whenever the wiimote sees the sensor) there would be no drift, like there shouldnt be using the move because it is always recalibrating using the camera.

so again, to people WHO HAVE PLAYED BOTH GAMES, are there any obvious accuracy benefits to move over M+. The issues with motion plus comes from drift, which is definitely an issue when say playing a long rally in table tennis because you wont be able to recalibrate for a while.

I'm asking how big the difference in motion tracking is when M+ is calibrated properly. My guess is that it should definitely be better, because of the continuous tracking with the camera. Im am wondering if this translates to the games in an obvious way.

Stampy

Stike said:
So, Gold Cup means = Zero assistance, and Champion = Zero assistance with better AI?

That is how it goes. (Only the set is now 15 points.) What is special about Champion difficulty in TT is that opponents are now specialized, they have noticeable personalities (some are more focused on defending, some attack brutally, while others spin the ball constantly, some mix all the abilities, etc.) When you play them, you get truly destroyed if you don’t find their weakness.

Animator said:
/\/\ Makes no difference.
No idea but I am scared of playing champion cup :lol

For anybody who tried the champion cup, do you still get the ball landing indicator that shows where the ball will land on the table?

Yes, you still get this assist. It would be almost impossible to play without it against such hard AI. BTW, when you finish Gold, Championship will be even more fun.

babyghost853 said:
Fuck Kenji, why did no one tell me about ACE 8000 :(

After beating Kenji, he is not that big of a problem, although his character is rather distracting.

darkwing

you really need to be in the proper stance in TT for the higher difficulty else you won't be able to return some of those wicked balls

Top Bottom