• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Brothers 60:
That was great.
Fukuda's appearance had me very happy. I'm glad to hear from him again, and see that he's hard at work on building rockets. It's also nice that everything worked out for Team E, and they did very well under pressure.
This was just a very enjoyable episode all around, and most of the regular cast members got the chance to have a good moment. Interested to see where things go from here for the main cast.

One Piece dub...never forget

Pokemon is good though

CMttb.gif

cnet128

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 9

Not sure what to say about this one. It doesn't feel like things progressed very far in this episode, largely because it spent a lot of time in flashbacks, but the atmosphere and the sense of drama are still strong.

I feel kind of sorry for the guy who had to voice Mr Hysterical Shouting. He did a good job of, uh, sounding barely intelligible.

4Kids changes the entire anime. They change the story, names, characters, everything!

With them, you're not watching the english dub of Ojamajo Doremi! You're watching MAGICAL Doremi. Not to be confused. Thanks to 4Kids, they're two separate entities.

Yeeep.

I'm actually scared to think of how they butchered Ojamajo outside the standard change the background music and stuff. I mean as dark as some of the undertones are, it's like... nowhere near as "offensive" as some of their other stuff in their original form.

Good god, I'm not even sure how bad they'd screw up Precure, even though it does have suicidal teenagers (being controlled but still). The Canadian dub was probably the closest one, but it just changed some of the names for characters. AND SOMEHOW TAKOYAKI WAS FUCKING DONUTS!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aku No Hana] 08

I think that, just like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time before, we all got the point of that scene by the time they showed the bridge. Excessive.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 7-9

I forgot to review 7 and 8 before, so whatever.

The action continues to be pretty dang good, while the non-action scenes suffer a lot due to all the outsourcing and time crunch. The direction is still pretty good, and in some ways improved from the original, especially the scene where
Mikasa thinks she's about to die
. The ending of episode 8 also had quite a bit of additional tension. Hopefully the animators don't die before the end of this arc.

I "play" it sometimes, getting my ass kicked into the ground. But I mostly like to watch other people play it.
I have Arcana Heart 3 on Ps3 btw.
I like cancelling like crazy and air dashes ..

Playing since AH1 on ps2.
I do have AH3 on ps3

Brock is fucked if that storm produces any lightning.
He doesn't care since he only have earth pokemon .

Besides pikachu tail will attrack the lightning first..

cajunator

Banned
I like cancelling like crazy and air dashes ..

Playing since AH1 on ps2.
I do have AH3 on ps3

He doesn't care since he only have earth pokemon .

Besides pikachu tail will attrack the lightning first..

Maybe we can play sometime or at least I can watch you play osmeone else
cause matches last about 20 seconds with me and not because Im winning

Yeeep.

I'm actually scared to think of how they butchered Ojamajo outside the standard change the background music and stuff. I mean as dark as some of the undertones are, it's like... nowhere near as "offensive" as some of their other stuff in their original form.

Oh no no no no! We can't possibly let our children see any sort of dark undertones in our programming whatsoever! That would be ever so beastly! Next thing you'll be suggesting that our children should actually learn to READ!

Textedit.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh no no no no! We can't possibly let our children see any sort of dark undertones in our programming whatsoever! That would be ever so beastly! Next thing you'll be suggesting that our children should actually learn to READ!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Textedit.jpg

Probably edited out due to paranoia that someone in the audience would interpret "The Mark" as referring to the Mark of the Beast and raise a stink over it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Back then before I embarked on the path of the righteous, Pokemon made me so depressed as Brock never got to poke any of the Nurse Joys or Officer Jennys he came across.

All he wanted was some love. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Back then before I embarked on the path of the righteous, Pokemon made me so depressed as Brock never got to poke any of the Nurse Joys or Officer Jennys he came across.

All he wanted was some love. :(

In your undoubtedly well-informed opinion, what's the best Pokemon yuri pairing?

I vote for Kamitsure x Fuuro.

[.IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Textedit.jpg[/IMG]

I'm always amused by the amount of extra work 4Kids went through to remove any sort of Japanese culture from Pokemon and hell, even change it to Americainze it.

Cause kids would get all confused if they don't see an American penny instead of a Japanese One Yen coin.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
In your undoubtedly well-informed opinion, what's the best Pokemon yuri pairing?

I vote for Kamitsure x Fuuro.

My experience with Pokemon ended at Gold/Silver. I played White for a bit months ago but I can't even recall 5 of them. So yeah, hate to disappoint you but I don't have pairings for pokemon. For the trainers though? WhiteFemMCxElesa for life.

My experience with Pokemon ended at Gold/Silver. I played White for a bit months ago but I can't even recall 5 of them. So yeah, hate to disappoint you but I don't have pairings for pokemon. For the trainers though? WhiteFemMCxElesa for life.

Why would we be pairing Pokemon together? He's talking about the trainers!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Wait, you thought I was referring to "Pokemon" the creatures instead of "Pokemon" the franchise? :lol

I still buy the games even though I barely played DPPt and didn't even make it to the Elite Four in BW before bailing, so I'm as good as a lapsed fan as well. I just stick to the fanart.

Kamitsure = Elesa :p

This looks a lot like that purported leaked document justifying the design principles of the new Pepsi logo from a few years back.

Dresden

Garden of Words -

The movie is at its best when it's focused on the small things--the details of raindrops speckling off the pavement, puddling in the pots, bouncing off an umbrella. Phone sitting on carpet; the glow of an LED display in a train; the pebbling of rice sitting nestled in a pocket of eggs. It's beautiful stuff.

I think the main problem is that when the characters are asked to do more than just intimate, it falls apart. There's unconvincing, unnecessary drama and the whole thing wraps up with tons of schmaltz. Although I had no problem with the events that happened, more in regards to just how they happened. Convenient displays of thunder and pop-music only serves to accentuate the contrivances necessary to make the drama happen.

That said I think it ended pretty well. And Yukino is super hotttttttttttttttttttttt

Hyakka ryouran samurai bride - 09

So the big reveal of the stone is some stupid flash back that offer no answers ?

So all that kissing build-up just for something that could have occured no matter what they tried ?

Regardless the first part of this episode had a nice sample of kanetsugu ..well i mean "baka-san" that become more awesome by each episode.
Hyakka%20Ryouran%20Samurai%20Bride%20-%2009.jpg

Right ... i believe you.

This anime sure did some plot moving to be able to cram so many characters in such conflicted position in one place.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Attack On Titan] 08

David Production's Jojo took a lot of flack for the "motion comic"ness, but this show is honestly as bad as that.
The Titan on Titan action
remains cool, on the other hand, as if it were handled by a whole different set of people altogether, which is probably what happened. :p
What I find to be the difference between the two is that Attack on Titan is supposed to be some dark and twisted reality. None of this is convincing when the art is a complete shit show and the comical proportions and faces of the Titans instill laughter instead of fear. Jojo is the epitome of dumb action, so occasional bouts of rough visuals were easier to overlook because they did not impose on the tone of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yamato 2199 18
Cpiv3Cvl.jpg

I really like the warp effect they use here. I mean, why not an explosion of water?

OouzWHjl.jpg

Also, the scale of the battle is also fairly wacky. lol

That said, this arc managed to both resolve some long standing questions and plot points while still driving the series forward to its inevitable conclusion.
I thought it was a cop out how the coup was solved so easily - a body double, really? But I'm glad that the whole Yuri-is-a-space-princess-thing turned out to be a bait and switch... and they also answered why the other girl had been acting so strangely the last few episodes.

The two month wait for the next batch of episodes is going to be such a pain. But it's nice to see a show of this kind just work.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 24

UyJbZyS.jpg

This is what I do at parties.

The classic setup of a ball, jewels, a phantom thief, and an officer of the law determined to stop him. As you might expect with this show, it doesn't quite follow the classic path though. There was a good balance of comedy, as the main cast all got their chances to shine. Even more than the comedy, the sweet quasi-romance between Jasper and Opal was perhaps my favorite part of the episode. I do have a thing for love between people on the opposite sides of the law.

oaYnLxV.jpg

These reaction faces, oh yes.

There were a couple bursts of nice animation this episode, especially Blue's break dancing. It was amusing to have that and Ruby's "Hey, baby!" disco intrude into the elegant ball.

Detective Conan 202:
So, as shitty as the first episode of this story was, the conclusion is even worse. Things happen for no real reason. The entire deduction process happens off screen because everything Agasa tells Conan is cut away from, so we have no way to ever figure anything out (but don't worry, because the culprit is blatantly obvious despite there being like 15 suspects). There's an entire subplot introduced in this episode that winds up having nothing to do with anything except resolving a wild goose chase also introduced in this episode.

But that's just the warm up act for our conclusion which involves (somehow)
Conan jumping onto a moving bus with its breaks cut that is going downhill on a mountain. There's then enough time for the person who gave him a ride to drive all the way back into town and tell Kogorou and the police about what is going on, while there's simultaneously enough time for the killer to give a full confession, after Conan gives a long winded explanation of things and even goes into further backstory, all before the characters remember 'oh shit, we're on a bus going down a mountain with no breaks but still aren't dead somehow', and then they magically avoid death through the powers of plot.
Seriously, someone at TMS was assigned to come up with an anime original case for Detective Conan and pitched this story. At some point, someone must have approved. An entire two episodes worth of scripts were written. These episodes were then storyboarded, animated and voiced. Either no one in the process ever stopped to say 'hold on, this story is fucking dog shit', or they did and no one listened to them. Either way, someone should have stopped this train wreck from being produced. What we have here is a lazily plotted story which feels nothing like what Detective Conan generally feels like in terms of the setting and tone (and what was even the point of the war between the two factions in the town? Oh that's right, fucking nothing), rips off copiously from The Moonlight Sonata Murder without getting a single thing that story did right (and seriously, even the villain's motivation and name twist were straight from that episode), and basically is filled with a bunch of dumb characters who are indistinguishible from one another, trapped in an idiotic plot that makes no sense, and going on with terrible side plots that have nothing to do with anything, all as they wait around for our climatic scene which breaks the laws of physics and features just about every dramatic cheat available.

I was pretty vocal about how much I hated Episode 165 for being a steaming pile of shit, but at least that episode was reasonably honest about it being some dumb kiddy crap where nothing of substance happened. I can kind of forgive it that, in retrospect. This two parter is unforgivable. A new low in Detective Conan Anime Original cases has been reached. I'm just glad that I only have another 28 episodes to go until Akai shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom