• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Regarding Death Billiards: duckroll, I'm curious, given your point of view,
what did you think of the bartender's reaction to the young man's rant at the end, what with the hug and all? Since you seem to feel that the man was a "loser to the end", did you see it as pity, or sympathy, or something else?

It was an interesting scene. I'm not really sure if the bartender can really feel anything. It's implied everyone who runs that place are simply dolls created to imitate humans to keep the gig up. If that's the case, then it would suggest that he was simply mimicking empathy, something he has probably seen many times before. He comforts him after he has clearly admitted defeat, while agreeing with the statement that he is not human so he doesn't really have an opinion with regards to his rant. Basically "if you really feel this way, well, there's nothing we can do about it, but so be it".

Articalys

By the way, after reading the Muramasa Vita new translation thread and watching a dialogue video someone posted, my now-honed seiyuu-detecting ears were able to correctly identify that Momohime is in fact voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, which of course I never noticed when I first played it a couple years ago. It's so obvious to me now, it's scary.

Makes me wonder what else I've been missing from other JP voice tracks over the years.

edit: damn, this game had quite the voice cast. Sawashiro, Jouji Nakata, Ayako Kawasumi, Show Hayami...

duckroll

... but I actually kinda like the character designs in Aku no Hana and just how "ugly" they are.
emot-blush.gif

So is Spring the season of loving "ugly" character design?! :eek:

LordCanti

Karneval 01:

Ehhhh. I feel like there is a story hidden underneath the bishie exterior but I'm not sure it's going to be good on any level.

Anime is still not saved and I've watched most of the new seasons shows (first episodes anyway). I'm getting worried that anime may not be saved this season.

So, I have a quick question. I apologize if it is not in the correct thread!

Today, I watched the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, as a co-worker said it was amazing. I thought that the concept was really cool, and that the main character is rather annoying. So, is this a good anime to watch?

Also, I saw that there are movies in higher definition that sum up the show itself, called Evangelion 1.11 and what not. My co-worker owns the DVD set, and he tells me that it is a much better source.

So... to sum it up:
Should I watch this show?
If so, what format should I watch?

Thank you!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Today, I watched the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, as a co-worker said it was amazing. I thought that the concept was really cool, and that the main character is rather annoying. So, is this a good anime to watch?

Also, I saw that there are movies in higher definition that sum up the show itself, called Evangelion 1.11 and what not. My co-worker owns the DVD set, and he tells me that it is a much better source.

So... to sum it up:

Thank you!
In this order:

Episodes 1 through 20
Director's Cut of episodes 21 through 24
Episodes 25 & 26
The End of Evangelion
Rebuild 1.1 and 2.22

Only check Death and Rebirth if you like watching kids play cello.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer

Here we go folks, grab your popcorn and watch me meltdown.

QUANTUM BRAINWAVES AND SHARED CONSCIOUSNESS. I know I should be used to this kind of explanation, but it's still actually retarded. As in my mental progress steps backward every time I hear it. 00 Quanta looks stupid as hell. Is Dynamis literally the only good looking Gundam in this entire show? It baffles me, as the mook suits, particularly in S1 when we weren't BS Super Robot Innovadater GN RAINBOW mode, were fine. Whycome the Gundams gotta look like crap in this series?

Oh well, it's still better than the godawful mecha designs in Gundam AGE.

Who is this golden dragon douchebag and why do I care? Terrible CG spaceships. What happened to Setsuna's voice? He doesn't sound the same at all. Oh it was a movie. Ooooookay.

UGH SAJI AND LOUISE. OF COURSE. And of course Princess Marina Ismail doing jack all, like always. How did Azadistan get to be a country again? I didn't understand that from the end of the show. And oh look that guy is a strawman evil businessman. Yay. Look at them sexy space suits. Form fitting and functional! Oh man the look on that assassin's face. A lecture from PMI! is definitely torture that should be against the Geneva convention.

Can somebody please explain to me HOW Aeolia Schenberg predicted that humans would grow glowy eyes and psychic powers? It's not just hard to believe, it's unbelievable. Patrick Koulisour has some womanly hips. Oh and the Federation is totally okay with living human computer terminals. No one raised an ethical question about this? Of course not, since nobody thinks like a human in 00. OH HEY LOOK IT'S SEPHIROTH.

And his name is Descartes Shaman. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN. At least I have Patrick. "What can I say? Reading reports ain't my thing!" QUANTUMBRAINWAVESQUANTUMBRAINWAVESQUANTUMBRAINWAVES. Don't worry Patrick, nobody at home understood that either. "Do you believe that blah blah was because Aeolia Schenberg?" "Well, he can predict glowy eyed freaky humans and an alien invasion in the future, so I don't see why we don't attribute this to him, too."

Innovatorinnovadeinnovatorinnovadeinnovatorinnovadeinnovatorinnovadeinnovatorinnovade.

"SO THAT'S THE POWER OF A [INSERT POWER UP SETSUNA WILL USE TO AVOID DOING ANYTHING HIMSELF HERE]!!" Light purple hair and ambiguous frame? Definitely an Innovator. Or Innovade. It's not like the writers are sure anymore, either.

AND NOW BEHOLD AS CARS DRIVE THEMSELVES AND EXPLODE IN WAYS! CREEEEEPY! AND IT IS MAKING LOUISE uh, uncomfortable. SO HERE LOOK AT SCHOOL GIRLS EXPLODE

OH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK CAN'T RIBBONS STAY DEAD? UGH. OH WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS NINA ALIVE AND WHY IS SHE ON PONYTAIL SCIENTIST AND HOW DOES HE KNOW HERE WHAT EVEN THE HELL. Now all we need is for them to resurrect Lockon or replace him with an identical Lockon who was still suckier than he was. They'd never do that to us though, would they?

Let's jump to conclusions and suppose the fragments moved on their own! It's ridiculous and therefore completely true. OH I AM NINA AND NOW TOTALLY A SCIENTIST BECAUSE I SAID SUBSTANTIATE. How did Nina become a scientist? The same way Louise became an ace pilot? HOW IS NINA STILL ALIVE?

It's hilarious that the only Gundam not set in an alternate universe is also the least believable. Oh and now Alleluia and Soma are hiking across Europe in their post graduation honeymoon phase. Oh please Louise' ridiculous problems are not PTSD. PTSD doesn't make you an ace fighter pilot.

LOL SAJI JUST TOOK OUT RIBBONS WITH A CHAIR. LOLOLOLOLOLOL Comedy of the year. The constant alien whirring noise is beginning to hurt my ears. This means I can expect to hear it for the remainder of the film nonstop on high volume. QUANTUM BRAINWAVE SWARM.

Gundam Dynamis? Oh no way did they just bring back OG Lockon from the dead? No, jeez, Setsuna AIM FOR THE HEAD HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN ZOMBIES? Way to tell us what we already know, Nina. Oh, so Aeolia's plan is still costing people lives? Lovely.

That's 40 minutes in and I need some sleep. Got a lot to do tomorrow.

Noirulus

So... to sum it up:

Thank you!

The main character is flawed and can be irritating, but he's not a bad character. Evangelion is an excellent series and definitely worth your time. I'd suggest the typical viewing routine of

TV Series -> End of Evangelion (Movie) -> Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 (Optional, but they're decent movies.)

Danj

I shall check out this Majestic Prince thing using the amazing shiny modern technology that is my new mobile phone, on my journey back home from my parents' house.

The main character is flawed and can be irritating, but he's not a bad character. Evangelion is an excellent series and definitely worth your time. I'd suggest the typical viewing routine of

TV Series -> End of Evangelion (Movie) -> Rebirth 1.11 and 2.22 (Optional, but they're decent movies.)

I mean, I understand his feeling of "oh shit a giant robot now i need to pilot it wat".
But, come on. Giant robot.
Come on.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
5 minutes into Crime Edge... what the hell is this shit?

*edit*

Is this some fucking hair fetish massage sakuga?

Theonik

Death Billiards
Well this was pretty. Not nearly as tight as Little Witch Academia but it's a different kind of short. That isn't to say it was bad though, it was very good at conveying a lot of information effectively in a very short runtime, albeit it didn't have the same feeling of everything having some sort of purpose LWA had. The controversial part in this will probably be the ending which admittedly was not particularly conclusive albeit intentionally so and perhaps it doesn't even matter. Though I am a bit confused
the old guy went in the elevator with the demon, was that trying to tell us he went to hell, but if that was the case wouldn't she know who went where? Is that a red herring? The questions she asks in the end seem to obviously represent the queries the viewer would have at the point while the bar man which in that scene I would guess would represent the creators dismisses the question, so perhaps one shouldn't assume she should or shouldn't have known.
The direction and animation for this were top notch too. It's pretty crazy looking at this and Little Witch Academia after and prior respectively to looking at Ryo.

Noirulus

I haven't watched anime for a couple months now but recently caught Moyashimon S1 ep. 1 - 6. Excellent show so far but the story feels a tad directionless. I'm guessing that's probably due to the inherent nature of the show or I just haven't watched enough.

Should I quell my expectations for even a slight amount of romance? :(( There's like three girls in the cast now and Sawaki still hasn't shown any interest towards da wimmenz.

Oh yeah, I was having a meal while watching the first episode and ohmygawddd was that a badbadbad idea. The Kiviak thing was revolting and instantly killed my appetite.

Defuser

Jojo Bizarre's Adventure ep 26

Fantastic ending for a fantastic series although it's plague with animation problems. Bring it on Stardust Crusaders! Ora Ora Ora!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom