• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ace of the Diamond 75

It's difficult to take this as some sort of triumph when the MC still can't pitch inside. I don't think I'm going to watch the 2nd season, I need a break from this.

Mature

Shirobako - 24 (End)
Pretty perfect ending to a pretty perfect show. I can't think of a recent series that succeeded so well on its scenario and script alone. If this is the end of Shirobako I'm content, but if there's a second season with Mizushima and Yokote, I'm all for it. I'm sure there's enough industry anecdotes to go around.

Death Parade - 12 (End)
Hey! This show ended up better than I would have guessed. Though maybe they should have opted to conclude the show on Memento Mori which was the major highlight of the series. Again, would be content with this ending, but there's more that could be done with this setting. Seems a lot less likely than Shirobako looking at sales alone.

Now I must weather Magic Kaito.

cj_iwakura

Mononoke 07 - Faceless Monster, End

Very ambiguous ending, but I'm assuming
she killed herself and became a Mononoke, rather than actually kill anyone?

Jex

So is that actually good? This is like the first time I've heard positive things about it.

Toward the Terra is an extremely cheap and occasionally ugly show which is why it gets a bad wrap.

However, on a fundamental storytelling level it's one of my favourite space operas of all time and you can see how the original story must have been very influential on the sci-fi genre.

Every time I see a sci-fi series with two protagonists who operate on different sides of the same conflict (a la Aldnoah/Zero) I'm reminded of how much better that same concept was explored in Toward the Terra.

The same applies for shows that wish to explore a setting where humanity is being regulated by some kind of computer systems (a la Pyscho Pass) and any story that heavily involves the rise of some kind of 'new humanity' normally in the form of physics (numerous shows, Gunda, for example.

I also appreciate how firmly they stuck with retro designs:

terra-el6ys3.jpg

Of course, I'm pretty sure people only remember the show now because it's full of "space bishies".

Pooya

will watch Digitmon Tri and rest of UBW just because, looking like another mediocre season. Maybe that Bones show too if it's decent enough. It's been a while since the last stand out universal acclaim(TM) anime :(

Shirobako Exodus! OVA

It's ok. I don't know what I expected though. Although I do like how they set up plot threads that actually come to fruition in Shirobako.

More excited to see the Aeriel Girls one.

Jex

So, because hosannainexcelsis is an extremely trustworthy source I finally sat down to watch:

[Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49] - 1

Despite hosannainexcelsis's recommendations I was extremely reluctant to check this title out based on it's premise e.g. a show about a troupe of guys trying to become a successful idol group. I've checked out a fair number of (admittedly all female) idol shows previously and they all tend to have pretty bad characterisation and a clear focus on characters just being "cute".

Shounen Hollywood immediately struck me as being different than those titles with a couple of scenes based on the strength of the writing. I know hosannainexcelsis has already written at length about this but this actually seems to be a story about guys trying to become idols in the real world, as opposed to a story about people who are basically already idols (e.g. paper-thin characters with one or two defining traits) 'becoming idols'. There's clearly going to have to be actual transformation and growth before any of these guys approach the status of being actual idols and there's a real focus on the particular minutia of the kind of theatrical work they take part in which suggests the author is knowledgeable about the topic in reality. It feels extremely grounded in a way that suggests this may play out more like a drama than I thought.

Visually, the show looked far better than I expected. There was a clear craft and vision to the cinematography and the character animation was actually pretty good. It felt like a fairly serious production which is now what I would have expected at all.

So, overall, I was extremely impressed with the first episode. Unfortunately, I'm already in the middle of a number of shows which I really need to finish before committing to a fairly lengthy series but I will be returning to it in the future.

Chaika OVA

Well, that was pretty much better then everything in S2.

Still maintain the entire main plot of the show should've just been about Red and White arguing in broken English because that was the best part. Tone of this is a lot better then a lot of S2 as well, show was better when it wasn't super serious and was more about traveling around.

Aldnoah.zero 12

What an absolutely shitastic ending.

So Slaine lives to suffer another day.. If the princess really wanted to "save" him, wouldn't it have been better to put him out of his misery on the spot, rather than have him spend the rest of his days in prison and thinking about all that he's lost. So many death flags and yet they decided to trot out this fucking droll and "safe" ending

I want the hours of my life I fucking wasted only to have this garbage ending back.

Sabagebu! OVA 1-2

...Huh maybe I actually don't need to watch any more of this show. 1st one wasn't very good, but the second was alright.

Maybe Blu-Ray bundle OVAs kind of suck?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blue Drop Episodes 1-4:

I wanted to like this, it looks fairly good and the soundtrack is outstanding but in spite of fusing two very dissimilar genres, it feels less whole then the sum of its parts and I am left rather cold because I don't care about anybody here. Time to move onto other series.

Sölf

New season of Gintama, I don't need anything else.

Even though, some other things also look pretty good. NINJA SLAYER!!!

WonderzL

Banned
Utena episode 8:

Really? I hate those filler Nanami episodes. Ugh. So out of place. I mean, it's probably supposed to be funny, but it's just not.

CBQRIYXVIAAdJV_.jpg:small

Rose of Versailles episodes 6~9:

So powerful. What a soulful series, man...

CBQFrUWUYAAjkqZ.jpg:small

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Rolling Girls 12
Dat animation.
What could've been a decent ending turn into "where's the animation at?" ending.
While i enjoy the story and that pastel background, i feel like this show is not meant to be 12 episodes, like there's a quite a few content missing. Ah well, it's over, and i think i need to watch the fixed version on BD.
I think the show really is great when they have nonsense action or flashy stuff, like that ep.8 concert, that one is a blast despite quality issue with the audience.

Giolon

Cross Ange 25 END

Wow, that both was and wasn't the ending I was expecting or hoping for. It was pretty satisfying though. There was so much material that it probably should've been handled over two episodes, but eh what can you do?

Ange & co
ending up in the dragon world was pretty cool and not what I expected as a resolution. I expected some sort of new earth to be formed bringing the two together. And when Ange said "I don't give a fuck what happens to the other world!" I cheered inside.

Cross Ange has been such an unconventional show in so many ways and this ending...almost an anti-climax even though there was a completely typical climax...I'm ok with that. Even though it had a rough start, and I mean really rough - those first 4-5 episodes are really brutal to sit through, I'm glad I stuck with it until the end.

BTW I hope you all noticed Hilda giving TuskXAnge the thumbs down XD Somebody get a GIF of it!

I need the textless version of the entire ED.

Koufuku Graffiti END

You know at the beginning I certainly wasn't expecting this show to be as good or as touching as it ended up being. This was going to be the cooking show that kept me going until Soma next season. But I've got to hand it to SHAFT this is one of the best SoL shows I've seen in a long time. This last episode was amazingly touching with Ryou graduation ceremony and the discussion and memories brought up about her grandmother who has had such an impact on her life. Also the grandma's pose changing at every shot of her picture was a great touch and the scene of Ryou's grandmother letting go of her hand and walking away got my eyes a little misty.

This has been a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good SoL or even a good anime in general to watch.

Cross Ange 25.

QTqrS2N.gif

(Giolon was faster, I wrote too much text!)

Well, the end was predictable and derivative. It was a good end, with almost everyone surviving and the traitor team coming back to the good team. Embryo explains the origin of th place, he goes pretty rapey rapey with Ange, but Ange is defiant singing, and just in time the white knight in shining armor come to the rescue of the damsel in distress... I mean... Ange, then he defeats the evil one with a mighty Japanese katana in a manly 1vs1 fight. LOL.
After killing the big boss, Cafe Ange, and the end.

In general terms I'm surprised only Jill died in the last three episodes (red shirts don't count). I thought the end could have been more dramatic and Salia, Chris, Rosalie or even Hilda and Tusk could die.

From the entire series, I'm still puzzled with the movement they did with Sala. When she appeared, they did a scene where they showed how she and Ange were connected in past lives/other worlds and all that, as it was an important, eternal connection. From a storytelling point, you don't do that if the character isn't going to be super important for the series, at least the viewer will understand that, and in the end it was just another secondary character. It was almost a red herring.
I wonder if the writing changed in the middle of the series from what they planned at first or something.

The problem in the second part of the series was Tusk, as the series is the best when it's outrageous, unpredictable and a bit stupid, while Tusk seems the average main character of an average mecha series (except when he is falling in Ange's crotch, I suppose). He isn't fabulous enough or bitchy enough, he seems taken from Gundam instead of Cross Ange or Code Geass. He is also a one dimensional character (I will protect Ange!), and just the safe choice romance wise.

The only Cross Ange-worthy / lolwut moment of the end was the sister going post apocalyptic warrior. Loool.

edit: Now that I think of, it's funny how Ange goes "I will found a new nation!!" and then she just makes Cafe Ange.

Overall Code Geass is still the best mecha-trainwerk-entertainmet series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oniisama e Episode 1:

Well then, I had heard things about this series and it seems at least a bit of it is true. Indeed, this is a sight to behold as I am gazing at the Australopithecus of the tribe of the lilies and I am very interested to see how this plays forth. I am already enjoying the aesthetical values on display and the character designs are refreshing in their human approximation. I shall watch more later with eagerness.

TUSR

Banned
Oniisama e Episode 1:

Well then, I had heard things about this series and it seems at least a bit of it is true. Indeed, this is a sight to behold as I am gazing at the Australopithecus of the tribe of the lilies and I am very interested to see how this plays forth. I am already enjoying the aesthetical values on display and the character designs are refreshing in their human approximation.

Praise Onii-sama. It only gets better more gary stu.

cHinzo

Ace of the Diamond 75

It's difficult to take this as some sort of triumph when the MC still can't pitch inside. I don't think I'm going to watch the 2nd season, I need a break from this.
It's way more enjoyable to watch the whole season without waiting for an episode every week, because the anime sometimes moves at a snail's pace. -_- Just wait until the season is over and watch it in one sitting. That's what I did with season 1 after an episode or 20-30.

Pooya

cross ange END

Ange still doesn't give a shit about rest of the ex-mana people, that was sogood.

Nothing will fill the void of our weekly entertainment now ;_;

Vito

Banned
You guys read for more FSN UBW?

Anyways, new pinups! https://yande.re/user/show/188377 I'm not sure how much lewd is allowed so I'll err on the side of caution and let you guys look em up. Or if it doesn't work, I just dumped them on tumblr and you can get someimage links there for pasting here and take the risk: http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/ (I feel dirty like I'm promoting myself, ew).

Girls in business suits are hot as hell though. Threw in Shirobako as well, good shows. Oh well, can't not post Erina-sama (NSFWish one: https://yande.re/post/show/315977/shokugeki_no_soma)

Cross Ange ended, best bad show in a while (NSFW on, really lewd, mmm yuri: https://yande.re/post/show/315971)

Triage X and not-Kyoani out of interest for the new season:

Oregairu is a bit too lewd with the cleavage to post.... probably: https://yande.re/post/show/315969

Sword Art Online II 01

"Kirito, the Japanese government needs you and your badass MLG skills to go stopa video game serial killer"

There is nothing about this premise that sounds resonable when spoken out loud.

It's way more enjoyable to watch the whole season without waiting for an episode every week, because the anime sometimes moves at a snail's pace. -_- Just wait until the season is over and watch it in one sitting. That's what I did with season 1 after an episode or 20-30.

And this show in particularly is paced slowly. This is probably what I'll do. I'm just weary of watching this at a drip since Fall 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom