• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
not surprising they will also likely license
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭
Re:Creators (which we already know will be on anime strike)

and that would be it, nothing else would be an aniplex show this season that I see.

amusingly they also are making
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
but that is already licensed to viz media :p

You left off granblue.

Clov

I mean demichan they were also producers on but the rights went to funimation. They don't care to pick up every show they are producers of anyways.

Demi-chan's international rights are actually held by Kodansha. Aniplex may be on the production committee, but that doesn't always give them streaming and home video rights for overseas. A simple way to check this for many titles is to look at who the publisher on Crunchyroll is. For Boruto in particular, the publisher is TV Tokyo.

You're right that Aniplex doesn't pick up every show of theirs though; with Black Butler season 3 and the OVA, they licensed that to Funimation instead of releasing it themselves. They're even letting RightStuf release the BD version of Sound of the Sky. These used to be much more common, but these days they're more of an exception. It's unfortunate, since they have many series I'd like to see released that they clearly have no intention to.

zulux21

You left off granblue.

granblue was last season and already licensed by aniplex o.o;

though i suppose the majority of the episodes are actually releasing this season, but still :p

Demi-chan's international rights are actually held by Kodansha. Aniplex may be on the production committee, but that doesn't always give them streaming and home video rights for overseas. A simple way to check this for many titles is to look at who the publisher on Crunchyroll is. For Boruto in particular, the publisher is TV Tokyo.

You're right that Aniplex doesn't pick up every show of theirs though; with Black Butler season 3 and the OVA, they licensed that to Funimation instead of releasing it themselves. They're even letting RightStuf release the BD version of Sound of the Sky. These used to be much more common, but these days they're more of an exception. It's unfortunate, since they have many series I'd like to see released that they clearly have no intention to.

Fair enough, my point was never that they had all the rights to those shows, I am far to lazy to make sure of that, but those shows were the only shows that were even possible for aniplex to license since they don't license anything they didn't work on.

Konosuba S2 8

4K1eka5.jpg

I'm pretty sure that ending an episode on a Dezaki postcard automatically makes your anime classy.

phaze

Ai-Mai-Mi 1-13
Ehhhh. This only rarely hit the spot. More so in the second half so I'll take it as it in as a concept still in process of being polished and hope for improvement in the next installments.

Wait, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan season 2 are coming out on the same day? Within a few hours of each other?

Fucking RIP Crunchyroll and Funimation websites.

zulux21

Wait, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan season 2 are coming out on the same day? Within a few hours of each other?

Fucking RIP Crunchyroll and Funimation websites.

Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai will also likely join in on april 15th :3

but yeah, more seriously you also have db super on sat as well.

why the laugh?
it's a legit worry given that sentai has the rights to no game no life already, so it wouldn't be surprising if they picked up clockwork planet. Also wouldn't be surprising if crunchy or funimation got it either though.

or do you find it odd that I am excited for a new series from the creator of my 2014 AOTY no game no life :p?

I just think it is inevitable. I think Funi and CR are going all in on the big titles that are already a show in to be popular.

I'm pretty sure that poster actually works for Sentai so, uh, take that as confirmation that Clockwork Planet will be Anime Strike exclusive.

I can neither confirm or deny such things nor do I know about this in-particular.

I just said lol because it seems like it will be a likely case since CR and Funi have been very slow to announce things this season.

I can neither confirm or deny such things nor do I know about this in-particular.

I just said lol because it seems like it will be a likely case since CR and Funi have been very slow to announce things this season.

Crunchyroll usually announces new simulcasts the day before or day of their first airing these days, and they usually try to license everything (e.g., they just announced the relatively obscure Chinese co-production Silver Guardian). But I'm sure Amazon can outbid them for international streaming rights for anything they want.

zulux21

I just think it is inevitable. I think Funi and CR are going all in on the big titles that are already a show in to be popular.

while I imagine a good amount of their funds will indeed be going to attack on titan and MHA it's still quite likely they will pick up a bunch of other series.

though I suppose they also might back off a bit this season, especially if they decide to do something like start to dubcast one piece. (note: there is no real confirmation for a dubcast of one piece, just old comments and the weirdness surrounding it's removal from toonami and misplaced hopes :p)

Crunchyroll usually announces new simulcasts the day before or day of their first airing these days, and they usually try to license everything (e.g., they just announced the relatively obscure Chinese co-production Silver Guardian). But I'm sure Amazon can outbid them for international streaming rights for anything they want.

Yeah that is true. I tend to forget that CR waits so long, and now because they are FUNI is due to that partnership.

I imagine that would be correct, as Amazon is well.... Amazon.

while I imagine a good amount of their funds will indeed be going to attack on titan and MHA it's still quite likely they will pick up a bunch of other series.

though I suppose they also might back off a bit this season, especially if they decide to do something like start to dubcast one piece. (note: there is no real confirmation for a dubcast of one piece, just old comments and the weirdness surrounding it's removal from toonami and misplaced hopes :p)

A dubcast for One Piece would be insanely ambitious haha

zulux21

A dubcast for One Piece would be insanely ambitious haha

it would be, they actually brought it up at the same time they brought up a fairy tail dubcast.

fairy tail did actually get one for its final 13 episodes. though they might have known that when they did that one.

one piece is just starting a new arc though (I think) and with it being pulled from toonami (due to toei) it would be a good time to start a dubcast if they can.

it would also mean that the series eventually wouldn't be like 7 years behind in english.

I mean it likely won't happen, but you never know.

especially since we still aren't sure if super is going to start getting a dubcast as well as it was weirdly included in their dubcast announcements a few weeks ago. (I haven't seen them confirm or deny if it was a mistake)

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/847935703401066497

Looks like Funi got Sakura Quest

it would be, they actually brought it up at the same time they brought up a fairy tail dubcast.

fairy tail did actually get one for its final 13 episodes. though they might have known that when they did that one.

one piece is just starting a new arc though (I think) and with it being pulled from toonami (due to toei) it would be a good time to start a dubcast if they can.

it would also mean that the series eventually wouldn't be like 7 years behind in english.

I mean it likely won't happen, but you never know.

especially since we still aren't sure if super is going to start getting a dubcast as well as it was weirdly included in their dubcast announcements a few weeks ago. (I haven't seen them confirm or deny if it was a mistake)

Yeah that would be interesting and cool for One Piece fans. I have never watched it as the episode number is too daunting. I don't even wanna try. I'll just take people's word for it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece is currently being dubbed by Funimation at a rate of 100ish episodes a year, though it might be a bit less this year. That's two years worth of episodes. They just got to the timeskip so they can catch up at this rate in about four or five more years.

zulux21

lame... now I am gonna have to watch 3 episodes of it :/

One Piece is currently being dubbed by Funimation at a rate of 100ish episodes a year, though it might be a bit less this year. That's two years worth of episodes. They just got to the timeskip so they can catch up at this rate in about four or five more years.
this year is supposed to have less as it typically does between seasons, but also could allow them to shift to dubcasts while only doing 50 or so of older episodes at the same time.

it would be nice to catch up in general though as the show with its current pacing is much easier to watch in english while I am doing other things.

zulux21

Why 3 in particular? I kind of think Funimation getting any show is like the best outcome.

if they have it, it means it will get dubbed.

I decided last month that I would watch every single dubbed series on funimation, only allowing myself to drop the series after 3 episodes.

I only have a few As left, and I started working on my queue right now thus why I watched maria the virgin witch and bahamut.

Ahhhhhhh
-----------------------------------
https://www.funimation.com/simuldubs/

This site pretty much confirms AoT and MHA air time.

10h30 AM ET for AoT and 5h30 AM ET for MHA.

that is also just the simuldubs page.
which again leads to super being included, and one piece is also on there.
which would fit my theory for one piece but I still think it's a mistake lol.

if they have it, it means it will get dubbed.

I decided last month that I would watch every single dubbed series on funimation, only allowing myself to drop the series after 3 episodes.

I only have a few As left, and I started working on my queue right now thus why I watched maria the virgin witch and bahamut.
Yea I remembered that objective of yours a few minutes after posting lol.
In terms of streaming or home video? In terms of home video, they leave a bit to be desired at times.
Both.

As a Canadian their release are both great and affordable. They have nice limited edition.

For streaming, the simuldub service is probably my favorite service in the anime industry. Having a day 1 dub of MHA of all shows is absolutely fantastic.

Also 95% of funimation shows pick-up are sure of getting a dub.

Clov

As a Canadian their release are both great and affordable. They have nice limited edition.

For streaming, the simuldub service is probably my favorite service in the anime industry. Having a day 1 dub of MHA of all shows is absolutely fantastic.

Also Canadian, and I have to disagree somewhat. While there are some great Funimation discs, they tend to be a bit hit and miss. While I wouldn't put them on the same level as Media Blasters or Sentai, their picture quality at times can be somewhat poor. They've also had problems with limited edition sets in the past (see the whole Code Geass R2 debacle, or some of the issues that cropped up with the Escaflowne Kickstarter).

It's true that they're more affordable compared to better quality discs like Aniplex's. Those can be a hassle to get in Canada, since you're limited to either RightStuf or the C&L Club based in BC. However, Discotek sells their releases on Amazon.ca, and they've always been very reasonably priced with much better quality discs than what Funimation usually puts out. It's true that they focus on older anime, but they also have been grabbing a handful of more recent titles (some on their own, some through Crunchyroll prior to their deal with Funimation). You can also find titles released by RightStuf on Amazon.ca, including the Gundam anime they release with Sunrise. The prices on RightStuf's discs can fluctuate, but generally I've been able to get good deals on them.

I can't comment too much on Funimation's streaming. I haven't been a fan of its picture quality in the past. I don't pay much attention to the dub scene, though I can understand dub fans really liking their service.

zulux21

Yea I remembered that objective of yours a few minutes after posting lol.

bikini warriors already made me realize I made a horrible mistake.

but alas I think there less than 100 shows for me to watch in total given how many I have already seen.

with any luck by the end of this year I can make it to 1000 completed or dropped combined (which is only 100 more shows)

note: I do have a number of shows from the last few anime seasons to update to completed eventually still lol. I am bad at keeping Mal updated I do it every 4-5 months usually.

Quasar

In terms of streaming or home video? In terms of home video, they leave a bit to be desired at times.

I'm pretty much wary of any funimation release given their translation history. Of course Crunchyroll seems to be having similar issues lately too.

Clov

I'm pretty much wary of any funimation release given their translation history. Of course Crunchyroll seems to be having similar issues lately too.

Yeah, they both have had some really questionable translation choices at times. Not a big fan of Dragon Maid, but I was pretty annoyed at the changes I heard they made to the first episode in the dub.

Also Canadian, and I have to disagree somewhat. While there are some great Funimation discs, they tend to be a bit hit and miss. While I wouldn't put them on the same level as Media Blasters or Sentai, their picture quality at times can be somewhat poor. They've also had problems with limited edition sets in the past (see the whole Code Geass R2 debacle, or some of the issues that cropped up with the Escaflowne Kickstarter).

It's true that they're more affordable compared to better quality discs like Aniplex's. Those can be a hassle to get in Canada, since you're limited to either RightStuf or the C&L Club based in BC. However, Discotek sells their releases on Amazon.ca, and they've always been very reasonably priced with much better quality discs than what Funimation usually puts out. It's true that they focus on older anime, but they also have been grabbing a handful of more recent titles (some on their own, some through Crunchyroll prior to their deal with Funimation). You can also find titles released by RightStuf on Amazon.ca, including the Gundam anime they release with Sunrise. The prices on RightStuf's discs can fluctuate, but generally I've been able to get good deals on them.

I can't comment too much on Funimation's streaming. I haven't been a fan of its picture quality in the past. I don't pay much attention to the dub scene, though I can understand dub fans really liking their service.
Discotek and Right stuff/Nozomi releases are also my usual go too. Love what Discotek releases. I bought CLAMP school detective from them not that long ago.

I only really ignore Sentai(with a few exceptions) and Aniplex.

Also about Code geass and Escaflowne; there were interesting info on those 2 problems in an ANN interview recently. Something about both of these projects being handled by some other team then the usual one.

Double post my bad! :p

Edit: There I found it! it's with both Justin Rojas & Jennifer Fu from Funimation.

Clov

Discotek and Right stuff/Nozomi releases are also my usual go too. Love what Discotek releases. I bought CLAMP school detective from them not that long ago.

I only really ignore Sentai(with a few exceptions) and Aniplex.

Also about Code geass and Escaflowne; their were interesting info on those 2 problems in an ANN interview recently. Something about both of these projects being handled by some other team then the usual one.

Double post my bad! :p

Edit: There I found it!

Oh, interesting! I thought it was unusual, since those were pretty amateurish mistakes they were making. Hopefully they've learned their lesson after this and stick with their usual team for fulfillment/mastering.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if the Crunchyroll deal stretched Funimation's dubbing capabilities to the max when the deal came together even though half of those dubs were outsourced.

Clov

I wonder if the Crunchyroll deal stretched Funimation's dubbing capabilities to the max when the deal came together even though half of those dubs were outsourced.

Considering the amount of titles Crunchyroll was grabbing, it wouldn't surprise me.

Probably. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if for now on Funimation limits themselves to only Simuldubbing what looks to be the more "popular" of the anime they have license for and save the rest til they get ready to do Home Video releases for them.

bikini warriors already made me realize I made a horrible mistake.

but alas I think there less than 100 shows for me to watch in total given how many I have already seen.

with any luck by the end of this year I can make it to 1000 completed or dropped combined (which is only 100 more shows)

note: I do have a number of shows from the last few anime seasons to update to completed eventually still lol. I am bad at keeping Mal updated I do it every 4-5 months usually.

What's your username on MAL btw? I try to add more people I actually talk with on other sites.

Clov

Sentai has licensed a Chuunibyou summary film, the Beyond the Boundary film, and Tamako Love Story.

I'm actually a little surprised, since they pretty much had no announcements at the cons last year.

Sentai has licensed a Chuunibyou summary film, the Beyond the Boundary film, and Tamako Love Story.

I'm actually a little surprised, since they pretty much had no announcements at the cons last year.

A Silent Voice is next, huh? Seems Sentai has closely aligned themselves with KyoAni.

I don't care who does it, someone bring us Hyouka on Blu-ray!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom