• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly collect BDs, so I have them separate from the few DVDs I own. I have TV series, OVAs, and movies all mixed together, along with limited and standard editions. My titles are all organized alphabetically.

This may not be a great way of doing things though, since I ran out of room on my shelf. I'm going to have to get some more space later on.

Comrade!

I don't mean to derail the chat much, but can I ask you guys a question about physical media organization? I'm starting to get enough anime sets that now I'm wondering if there might be a better way to organize them than I am at the moment (mine are separated by publisher ATM, only because I don't like the look of Sentai BD cases next to Aniplex box sets, if that makes any sense). So I was wondering for those of you who have physical media collections: how do you organize your library?

I display cherised series like Naruto in the center of my collection, then series that I loved underneath Naruto (since naruto takes up quite a lot of space), like DRRR, Owari no Serafu, and P3M and Guilty Crown. The rest I display based on if its favorite or not. Ones that arent favorite or are in ugly boxes go in order of BD and DVD due to size issues, I dont usually do ABC order.

No-Rin - Completed: Ended up checking this out since it was a short series that I've had in my queue on Funimation for a while now. Jokes were hit or miss. The cougar teacher was probably the funniest character in the show. The last couple of episodes were pretty rough though because it ended up being entirely devoted to this love-triangle that I had zero investment in. Didn't help that the "triangle" was hilariously lopsided up until these final episodes and the writers had to scramble to try and make a convincing case for how the childhood friend was actually a viable option lol

Worst idol show. Now watch locodol, the best idol show :p

Cornbread78

Baccano. It's the good kind of crazy.

Been on my PTW list forever... I just bumped it up.

You did? I don't remember that.
Oh well. Check out Nanoha then I guess. Would be interesting for someone to check that out with the third movie coming out.
It's not a crazy show, but it's a personal favourite series of mine. S1 is okay, the sequel A's is fuck awesome. Avoid StrikerS.

Oh yeah I did..

UJvrO2C.jpg

I can't find the original Nanoha, only the sequels...

Jex

The contrast between the almost entirely negative reception of Re:Creators in this thread and the generally positive reception of Re:Creators on my Twitter feed is rather curious.

I can't speak for this particular title, but in general, I rarely find Twitter to be more negative than NeoGAF, but the reverse is often true. There's something slightly more enthusiastic about the kind of commentators you get on Twitter vs NeoGAF, probably because they come form very different backgrounds.

phaze

I ALREADY WATCHED CODE GEASS YA DAMN MECHA HEAD, LOL.

I guess it's almost time to watch the next crazy show...

Geass, check
Green Green, check
Cross Ange, check
Penguin Drum, check

Sell me on another one.

Soultaker.

It's Noir + Shinbo going full Shinbo aka proto-but-hypersonic-Shaft+ Shounen ass screaming of attack names/demons/monsters + imoutos of the week + actually interesting plotline/ episodic stuff and story progression till a point.

Beyond that it has proto-Senjougahara, chara designs from the Monogatari guy, fun mindfucks and is just balls to the wall crazy in general.

I can't speak for this particular title, but in general, I rarely find Twitter to be more negative than NeoGAF, but the reverse is often true. There's something slightly more enthusiastic about the kind of commentators you get on Twitter vs NeoGAF, probably because they come form very different backgrounds.

Depends on who you follow though? :p

Is it pretty funny?

If you like reaction faces, sure. It's more comfy slice of life though.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory 1-7
I decided to write up my thoughts so far since this seems like a good intermission point in the story. As mentioned previously I was mainly interested in re-watching this for the animation quality as it had been so long since I had seen it on DVD and I was curious how it held up as well as the transfer itself. However after talking extensively with a friend who is a huge Gundam aficionado, I decided to keep an open mind into the story itself and see whether the plot was better than how I remembered it. He had described it as the Top Gun of anime and I disagreed with that assessment and said that title belonged to Macross Plus. After the first seven episodes, I still feel that my original opinion was correct despite there being a few early-on similarities with Top Gun. Anyways, I wanted to talk about the show before it goes into the second half and things go off the rails.
Well first off I find Kou as a pilot to be both interesting and frustrating at the same time. I do like the notion of him being a scrub as a pilot since it allows him room to grow. However at the same time there is little reason why he should be piloting the Gundam himself. Nina points out that he pushed the Gundam further than most would have in their first use but there's nothing in the initial attack that would lead me to believe that. He was stumbling and was an overall mess in his first time out with it. Now part of that is surely due to nerves and lack of combat experience but again there's nothing indicating that he's an exceptional pilot-in-the-making. Even later in the show he doesn't seem particularly skilled with his use of the Gundam until episode 7 when he splits up the Gundam when it's trapped by the claw of the Gundam armor (that was actually pretty cool). The audience never sees anyone else use the Gundam and so it turns into a case of the show just flat out telling viewers that Kou has potential rather than showing. On top of that, Gato doesn't treat Kou as a serious threat early on and is generally just screwing around with him which makes Kou look even worse initially.
Expanding on this, I'm not sure why Kou and Keith are even test pilots to begin with. They have no combat experience in a military and time period littered with vets due to a war ending just a few years ago. When testing new and experimental hardware, a company or military would want to use top tier people as they're likely to push the guns or vehicles to their limits compared to a rookie. If we look at fiction, Maverick was an ace pilot and had experience before he goes to the Top Gun program. Similarly if we look at real life there would be experienced veterans conducting these tests. In addition to this, there is so little security guarding a nuclear weapon that it's laughable. There's literally only one security checkpoint between the outside and an active nuclear weapon with no safeguards attached. There's also the question of why there are no tracking mechanisms on the stolen Gundam itself but meh I'll let it slide. Piloting keys/passcodes don't seem like an actual thing in the Gundam universe.
Going further, I don't remember if this is intentional or not but the Federation seems fairly casual about there being a rogue nuke in enemy hands. I'm starting to suspect that this whole thing is a conspiracy in that the Federation wants the Zeon remnants to use the nuke as justification for continued military action. This whole scenario makes it seem like the ship is being set up to fail. The Federation sends over a bunch of incompetent pilots who while supposedly are veterans; they get into fights with the rookies they need to teach, one of them constantly flirts and drinks while doing little else, and generally don't act professional in any way possible. In the above screencap, they literally sabotage the ship and nearly wreck their only Core Fighter. I started screaming in my apartment. Not to mention the lack of support ships and supplies needed just seems like the Federation is going to use them as a scapegoat. Now this is where I start to realize how garbage Gundam as a franchise actually is as I'm not sure how much of this is intentional and how much of this is bad writing. I suppose the lack of supplies is an intentional plot point but I also suspect the 'veteran' pilots being trash is just bad writing.
It's interesting how sympathetic the Zeon are portrayed so far. That's always been a thing in that later Gundam shows portrayed the Zeon in a more positive light compared to the Nazi-like Zabi family in the original, hell just look at Thunderbolt. Yes there are 'evil' sides to the Zeon in this show, mainly with Cima, but they come off as more noble and idealistic compared to the bumbling Federation. Gato doesn't try to kill Kou in the second episode until the very end, even after Kou shot down his shuttle. Kelly is depicted as a broken man trying to regain his love of piloting and recapture the glory he had in the OYW. Then there's the diamond mine captain who wants his men to surrender and not die a pointless death. I was going to make this into a bigger complaint in how lopsided the depictions were between the Federation and Delaz Fleet but Cima does balance things out a bit.
e6FBuDj.jpg

Kawamoto is a god at creating older women.
Now going back to Kou and this recent arc, I really dislike Kou in this one. He's way too impassive and I don't feel he has a good reason driving him to be chasing Gato. He's obsessed with piloting the Gundam but the show never establishes why. Is he doing it to keep his promise to Nina? That didn't seem to be that big of a deal to either party. He doesn't have any strong ideals even this late into the show despite Gato directly pointing that out in episode 2. It's almost as if it's expected of him to be piloting a Gundam so he has to do it. What brings this to a head, for me, is that Kou refuses to even train with other mobile suits while the Gundam is waiting around for an upgrade for space combat. He has zero space experience and instead of trying to get himself personally ready for when the Gundam is modified, he just sits around and does calculations instead for the Gundam which doesn't help him squat. So Kou wrecks the Gundam, goes into the usual 'mecha pilot funk', and ends up at Kelly's place. One thing I did like about the Kelly stuff is that it answered one of my general questions, why is Kou a pilot to begin with? Kou always seemed much more interested in the technical side than the actual piloting. I'm not sure the arc gave a clear answer but it does seem like Kou enjoys being a pilot (despite him never actually acting like that when in the actual cockpit).
On the animation side, I'm impressed with a lot of the mechanical drawings. Sunrise was so good at this stuff back in the day and nobody really does stuff like this anymore. It kinda hurts watching it. The hangar and close-up shots just have insane detail in them. I'm not overly impressed with the animation cuts in the battles even though they are animated fairly well. It's just that the camerawork and motion aren't as dynamic as they are nowadays. Part of that is definitely due to the focus on the mecha being closer to real-robot than later Gundam entries but it's still not exactly where I would like it to be. There is though more emphasis on strategy at times which is nice. Maybe it's just that the cuts are too short occasionally. That's not in any way though saying that the fights are poorly animated or anything of that nature, it's just that I remember it being a bit better. I'm also surprisingly liking the music more than I expected. It's pretty 80's and it stands out to a lot of modern scores.
uw8axvR.jpg

Keith and Mora are the only characters worth a damn in this. Glad they hooked up.
Oh boy. I can already tell the romance between Kou and Nina is going to be fun. Nina is the one so desperate for Kou's attention and she later goes and backstabs him for Gato. Oh boy. I could at least understand some of the later shit if it was Kou that was trying to hit on her and she was uninterested but it's the other way around. She's the one who gets pissy when he doesn't ask her on a date. They do at least foreshadow the heel-turn as she apparently knows Kelly who is a close friend of Gato and the show makes it clear that Anaheim has been double-dealing with the Delaz Fleet for a while now. It's hilarious though that episode 7 ends with this touching scene between Nina and Kou when she fucks him over so hard later in the series. Women love that Zeon pipe I guess.

BeyBlade Burst Episode 31 Teachings of a Legend

Valt having a chance to get over his inability to be a captain, constantly missing Wakiyas hints, was nice, especially with the help of Ken.

Orochi battle was amazing, cant wait for him to be paired against one of Valts teammates.

Thanks everyone who replied to my question about your library organization. I think I've got a new setup that should suit me for now based on some of your suggesstions, but it's clear that space is going to become a problem eventually, and I'll have to deal with that sooner or later. Still, progress!

Lastest Eromanga-sensei has a bunch of references in its latest episode. Was highly amused. Only reason I still watch. Because it is so stupidly amusing...

sonicmj1

This is really the only place I see massive negativity towards ReCreators too, not really sure why.

Well, sometimes everyone else is wrong. Or they're just generally more positive.

It's also possible that, at least personally, I'm being a little bit unfair to the show. I didn't go into it because I had that much interest in the premise: I watched it out of some sick sense of obligation to see what Ei Aoki did next after he burned me hard with Aldnoah/Zero. As a result, I don't really care about its obsessive interest in the minutiae of how fictional characters manifest in reality, and I haven't been giving it much benefit of the doubt in other respects.

I am starting to warm to the show as it gives some of the characters more room to breathe. I've highlighted Mamika's growth in my last post, for example. Re:Creators also occasionally shows glimpses of Ei Aoki's skill as a visual storyteller, even if they're limited by an overloaded script and slightly warped priorities. Some of the action is cool. The disruption to the status quo in the previous episode might set the plot moving in a good way, which could address some of my misgivings.

But these days I have a hard time giving myself over to imagining a new kind of reality just because it's cool. The characters need to carry this, but so, so many of the characters in Re:Creators are so lacking in motivation that it's hard to care about their struggles. Sota's the most prominent example (and it hurts my emotional investment in a plot point that seems incredibly thematically important to the show as a whole), but the same thing applies to so many other members of the cast, creation and creator alike. Everyone is dropped into this fight against their will, and very few of them seem to have a clear sense of why they're participating beyond obligation.

It's hard for me to avoid comparing this show to Fate/Zero, which did a great job establishing a cast of characters that didn't just have diverse powers, but also had clear, distinct reasons for fighting and different contrasting worldviews that lent themselves to conflict.

Still, I'm sure there are other posters here who might get more enjoyment out of Re:Creators than I do.

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory 1-7
Well first off I find Kou as a pilot to be both interesting and frustrating at the same time. I do like the notion of him being a scrub as a pilot since it allows him room to grow. However at the same time there is little reason why he should be piloting the Gundam himself. Nina points out that he pushed the Gundam further than most would have in their first use but there's nothing in the initial attack that would lead me to believe that. He was stumbling and was an overall mess in his first time out with it. Now part of that is surely due to nerves and lack of combat experience but again there's nothing indicating that he's an exceptional pilot-in-the-making. Even later in the show he doesn't seem particularly skilled with his use of the Gundam until episode 7 when he splits up the Gundam when it's trapped by the claw of the Gundam armor (that was actually pretty cool). The audience never sees anyone else use the Gundam and so it turns into a case of the show just flat out telling viewers that Kou has potential rather than showing. On top of that, Gato doesn't treat Kou as a serious threat early on and is generally just screwing around with him which makes Kou look even worse initially.

Nice write up of your thoughts, though I figured I'd add a couple counter points as someone who grew up on 0083 as his entry Gundam. When it comes to the first couple episodes I think the idea is that after Kou steals Unit 01 he's left inside it for the immediate pursuit because there's no time to swap pilots if they want to try and catch Gato.

As for afterwards, I think the general idea is that since Kou went toe to toe with Gato, and while not able to win, did make great use of the Gundam. Whether you agree he did or not, what ultimately keeps Kou in the Gundam is Lt. Burning getting full command over who is put in the pilot's seat and who isn't. So... Nepotism? :p

Expanding on this, I'm not sure why Kou and Keith are even test pilots to begin with. They have no combat experience in a military and time period littered with vets due to a war ending just a few years ago. When testing new and experimental hardware, a company or military would want to use top tier people as they're likely to push the guns or vehicles to their limits compared to a rookie.

I think that's a fair point. I think the idea that Gundam goes with is that the war was so costly, there really aren't that many vets left, let alone people who chose to stay in the military. It never personally bugged me, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

In addition to this, there is so little security guarding a nuclear weapon that it's laughable. There's literally only one security checkpoint between the outside and an active nuclear weapon with no safeguards attached. There's also the question of why there are no tracking mechanisms on the stolen Gundam itself but meh I'll let it slide. Piloting keys/passcodes don't seem like an actual thing in the Gundam universe.

This is definitely a weird idea. On the one hand the series wants us to believe that the Federation is absurdly lax by this point in time. Gato himself scoffs at their lack of guards on the base, so I think we're supposed to get the idea that the security for the nukes is also a result of this 'peace time' laxity.

As far as pilot keys go, that bothered me, until I looked up that most fighter jets, supposedly, don't actually have keys or passcodes. I guess that's just a not thing even in real life.

Going further, I don't remember if this is intentional or not but the Federation seems fairly casual about there being a rogue nuke in enemy hands. I'm starting to suspect that this whole thing is a conspiracy in that the Federation wants the Zeon remnants to use the nuke as justification for continued military action. This whole scenario makes it seem like the ship is being set up to fail. The Federation sends over a bunch of incompetent pilots who while supposedly are veterans; they get into fights with the rookies they need to teach, one of them constantly flirts and drinks while doing little else, and generally don't act professional in any way possible. In the above screencap, they literally sabotage the ship and nearly wreck their only Core Fighter. I started screaming in my apartment. Not to mention the lack of support ships and supplies needed just seems like the Federation is going to use them as a scapegoat. Now this is where I start to realize how garbage Gundam as a franchise actually is as I'm not sure how much of this is intentional and how much of this is bad writing. I suppose the lack of supplies is an intentional plot point but I also suspect the 'veteran' pilots being trash is just bad writing.

As far as characterization goes, yeah the Vets are generally big cocky idiots. I think they're meant to be frustrating, but I can definitely see how they'd piss someone off.

As plot points go I'll spoiler in case you want to continue semi-rewatch blind
Yeah the Albion is totally set up to fail. You called it in that it's a big conspiracy that ultimately forms the basis for 0087, Zeta Gundam.

It's interesting how sympathetic the Zeon are portrayed so far. That's always been a thing in that later Gundam shows portrayed the Zeon in a more positive light compared to the Nazi-like Zabi family in the original, hell just look at Thunderbolt. Yes there are 'evil' sides to the Zeon in this show, but they come off as more noble and idealistic compared to the bumbling Federation. Gato doesn't try to kill Kou in the second episode until the very end, even after Kou shot down his shuttle. Kelly is depicted as a broken man trying to regain his love of piloting and recapture the glory he had in the OYW. Then there's the diamond mine captain who wants his men to surrender and not die a pointless death. I was going to make this into a bigger complaint in how lopsided the depictions were between the Federation and Delaz Fleet but Cima does balance things out a bit.

I actually generally prefer post-OG Zeon for that added layer of depth. The Zeon certainly have Nazi aspects, but I've always felt their uprising for independence strayed them just far enough from true Nazism that it feels natural to see a more even portrayal. However while the Zeon are sympathetic here, my personal opinion is that the show ultimately decides that Gato, Delaz, etc are not people to admire, but rather pity for being so stuck and clung onto the past.

Now going back to Kou and this recent arc, I really dislike Kou in this one. He's way too impassive and I don't feel he has a good reason driving him to be chasing Gato. He's obsessed with piloting the Gundam but the show never establishes why. Is he doing it to keep his promise to Nina? That didn't seem to be that big of a deal to either party. He doesn't have any strong ideals even this late into the show despite Gato directly pointing that out in episode 2. It's almost as if it's expected of him to be piloting a Gundam so he has to do it. What brings this to a head, for me, is that Kou refuses to even train with other mobile suits while the Gundam is waiting around for an upgrade for space combat. He has zero space experience and instead of trying to get himself personally ready for when the Gundam is modified, he just sits around and does calculations instead for the Gundam which doesn't help him squat. So Kou wrecks the Gundam, goes into the usual 'mecha pilot funk', and ends up at Kelly's place. One thing I did like about the Kelly stuff is that it answered one of my general questions, why is Kou a pilot to begin with? Kou always seemed much more interested in the technical side than the actual piloting. I'm not sure the arc gave a clear answer but it does seem like Kou enjoys being a pilot (despite him never actually acting like that when in the actual cockpit).

Good points about Kou. The show doesn't do a great job of establishing what drives him. The best we get is a sense that Kou has this deep desire to prove himself after facing Gato and catch up to him and defeat him. The way I personally read it is that Kou wants to be a zealot like Gato, devoted to a cause like he is, unwavering in his devotion. The show kinda hammers my read of it home in the final episodes as the grander plot comes together, but it's missing a few scenes in the opening episodes to really make that entirely true for his character.

Oh boy. I can already tell the romance between Kou and Nina is going to be fun. Nina is the one so desperate for Kou's attention and she later goes and backstabs him for Gato. Oh boy. I could at least understand some of the later shit if it was Kou that was trying to hit on her and she was uninterested but it's the other way around. She's the one who gets pissy when he doesn't ask her on a date. They do at least foreshadow the heel-turn as she apparently knows Kelly who is a close friend of Gato and the show makes it clear that Anaheim has been double-dealing with the Delaz Fleet for a while now. It's hilarious though that episode 7 ends with this touching scene between Nina and Kou when she fucks him over so hard later in the series. Women love that Zeon pipe I guess.

So, I don't think Nina is actually in love with Gato, nor in her mind does she betray him. Nina tries to sit outside the Fedi vs Zeon conflict and in her mind, I think she's still doing exactly that when we get to the big finale. Getting into specifics
Nina only picks up a gun and turns on Kou after he's already shot Gato. She prevents him from killing Gato. I don't think Nina actually still has romantic feelings for Gato, although it's easy to read that. I think her primary driving force is trying to stop two people she cares about, a current lover and former lover, from killing each other. She does try to stop Gato from dropping the colony, and only defends him, as I recall, after the colony has already had its final course set. She even turns the gun on him prior to Kou taking the shot and is caught off guard, giving Gato the last moment he needs to pull the trigger.

I think Nina is a very complicated, in part due to a dynamic shift in writing, character that is often extremely misunderstood. But I look forward to your second write up for the series. I love talking about 0083 but almost no one seems to watch it anymore.

Akaashic Records Episode 9

If were really going to be spending another episode on the beach...then Im not complaining. Kash and crew are so much fun.

Re=L story was intriguing
though is that really the only punishment he gets,
a punch and thats it, while everyone else suffered deadly attacks or even just been killed as sacrifice for this reviving life project?

Please tell me! Galko-chan - Completed: I know a lot of people tend to compare Daily Lives of High School Boys to Nichijou, but this really feels like the "Genderflip Counterpart" with the type of conversations the characters have. While not necessarily laugh out loud funny like those other two series, this was a really chill watch. Galko is straight up one of the most likable characters from last year.

when shipping goes too far (fan holding leaks hostage unless studio makes a male/male relationship real in Voltron)

Gaaaaah.... I don't even like Netflix Voltron that much and god does that hurt to read. I mean, Studio Mir spells out that they're in legal trouble and he doesn't give a shit that he could really do some damage to Voltron's future if DreamWorks really got mad.

ibyea

Banned
when shipping goes too far (fan holding leaks hostage unless studio makes a male/male relationship real in Voltron)

How can people be this obsessed with the relationships of fictional characters? Like this is the mother of all first world problems, that the right people did not get together in the fictional story. D:

Kickz

Space Brothers Ep 52
Nice recap episode for the series, I had forgotten his family basically forced him to pursue his dream of space when he was depressed after losing his job. Already like the new Op and Ed more than the last ones, especially the ending; Try Now, beautiful song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom