• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I'd still probably put it in my top 5 anime romances. As with many things, until I came here I didn't really know there was negativity towards it.

I stopped at ep.19. I need to finish at some point, but..
Did they actually "do it"
in ep.19? Lol.

Very ambiguous..

/XX/

I'd still probably put it in my top 5 anime romances. As with many things, until I came here I didn't really know there was negativity towards it.
As far as I can remember there has always been a certain negativity towards it (and I'd venture to say that it came mainly from purists accustomed to the original work), which stems from some instances of experimental approach made by GAiNAX "new blood" at the time (upfront for the revolution were Hiroyuki Imaishi & Shōji Saeki, as Hideaki Anno himself mentioned) and the unfinished nature of the adaptation itself due to the turbulence generated by creative differences between the author of the graphical novel and the animation studio, that kind-of forced Mr. Anno out and made Hiroki Sato suddenly take managerial duties and a general overseer role for the project.

Gotta say the KareKano manga started dragging heavily at some point. Despite loving the anime and considering the manga's writing to be quite good overall I still lost my enthusiasm to continue reading eventually.

blurr

As far as I can remember there has always been a certain negativity towards it (and I'd venture to say that it came mainly from purists accustomed to the original work), which stems from some instances of experimental approach made by GAiNAX "new blood" at the time (upfront for the revolution were Hiroyuki Imaishi & Shōji Saeki, as Hideaki Anno himself mentioned) and the unfinished nature of the adaptation itself due to the turbulence generated by creative differences between the author of the graphical novel and the animation studio, that kind-of forced Mr. Anno out and made Hiroki Sato suddenly take managerial duties and a general overseer role for the project.

Everyday, I learn more and more about how the final arc of Shirobako was scarily realistic.

petran79

Banned
LWA Finalle.
Producers mentioned that LWA would be mainly about Akko's story,so side characters were not supposed to take much screentime. But I didnt expect for Lotte and Sucie to be completely ignored in the second half. 26 episodes were plenty for all characters to shine.
Even series with half the episodes get better side characters.

Gotta say the KareKano manga started dragging heavily at some point. Despite loving the anime and considering the manga's writing to be quite good overall I still lost my enthusiasm to continue reading eventually.

Kare Kano anime humor relied also heavily on manga panels. English localisation was a mess regarding this.

I remember liking Fruits Basket anime and manga much more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It still has western popularity though right? We seem to cling on to series longer than Japan who comes across as far happier to dump stuff for the next big thing.

But we're happy just to pirate stream everything so doubt we can add to the disc sales.

Most of Japanese interested in AoT probably also read the manga by now, which combined with the 4 years wait is simply a massive damper on disc sales. As BGBW says the popularity probably held up much better in the west and I imagine the anime will overall still be profitable just fine in the long run with merchandise and what have you. I'll expect to get a complete adaptation, given that we're likely going to get a 2-cour Season 3 and then only 1-2 more seasons should be left to adapt the rest of the manga, should Isayama indeed finish the manga within the next 2 years.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait, Anno dropped out because of the Pokemon incident? On that note I thought the Pokemon incident was much more recent because I don't remember dimming being that prevalent over a decade ago.

Clov

Pretty bummed out today. I was planning on going to a showing of In This Corner of the World, but it sold out before I could get tickets. They said there was a chance of getting rush tickets a half hour before the movie started, but my wife woke up feeling sick and I don't want to see it without her. It's a pretty long trip for me to make too. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to get a chance to see it. :/

Attack on Titan doesn't need to worry about losing popularity. It continually sells at below One Piece's level, closer or further away depending on how many volumes One Piece released that year in a firm second place almost permanently now that Naruto is done. That puts it above MHA, Soma, Haikyuu, Seven Deadly Sins etc

Just T

Natsume Yuujinchou Roku: 9

Nice episode, that first mask appearing on the teacher was surprising.

Also, saw how apparently Owarimonogatari 2nd season won't air until August as a 2 day special, that's unexpected.

javac

Picked up these two Blu-rays (got Anthem for £12!)
gKE847t.jpg
OI3LYRb.jpg

/XX/

Wait, Anno dropped out because of the Pokemon incident? On that note I thought the Pokemon incident was much more recent because I don't remember dimming being that prevalent over a decade ago.
That incident was a partial motivation for a general reassessment within TV Tokyo regarding planning of shows they were producing at the time (including the move of certain programming blocks to time-slots with less exposure, signifying the 'late-night animated show' trend in Japan), but in necessary combination with the stringent requirements following episode 20 of NGE after the complains received from Japanese PTAs. These requirements, I think, were the main cause of Mr. Anno's distrust for the interference coming from the TV station in this particular case.

And early on after the 'Pokémon Shock' happened, a mere disclaimer in front of the programme in question to be aired was deemed enough... remember the "ATTENTION" title card on His and Her Circumstances immediately before the opening? Well, that's it.

Maybe Crunchyroll will still get the NTR show.

But yeah, people best be preparing themselves for Shokugeki no Soma 3 to be announced as Anime Strike exclusive in the Fall. :p

Cornbread78

Grimoire of Zero - END
OK, pretty anti-climatic ending, but you know what, it was still pretty damn entertaining and that short epilogue was cute as hell. I wonder if they push that ship further in the LN, but it was damn cute to watch here regardless..

Clov

Picked up these two Blu-rays (got Anthem for £12!)

That Tatami Galaxy set looks gorgeous. Really makes me tempted to invest in a region-free BD player.

Though, with Discotek picking up Kaiba, maybe they'll attempt to pursue this one in the future? Here's hoping.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Going to start my own streaming service.

My USP is that I'll pick only good shows for it.

Now to write some letters to Japan.

javac

Got my tickets ready, tomorrow is going to be a good day.

Hope you like it. I thought it was OK when I first watched albeit a bit too Okada dorama for me.
I was worried about that being the case but I'm often too presumptuous of these types of things so I thought especially at the price that I should just give it a shot, I'm sure at the very least I'll get something out if it, the art certainly looks nice!

That Tatami Galaxy set looks gorgeous. Really makes me tempted to invest in a region-free BD player.

Though, with Discotek picking up Kaiba, maybe they'll attempt to pursue this one in the future? Here's hoping.
It is a pretty nice set, the upgrade from my DVD set is welcomed too because it had a serious case of PAL speed-up, as if the subtitles aren't already hard to read! It is strange how some shows have yet to be released in the US on BD, but at the same time Discotek makes me super jealous. Speaking of BD releases, Australia is getting Tokyo Godfathers on Blu-ray which I am SUPER excited about, Millennium Actress next please!

javac

Was thinking of seeing that film.

I've actually been to Kure, the place the film is set.

That's really cool! Looks like a really beautiful place, must have been amazing to visit. What's stopping you from watching it, you should go!

Theonik

Got my tickets ready, tomorrow is going to be a good day.

I was worried about that being the case but I'm often too presumptuous of these types of things so I thought especially at the price that I should just give it a shot, I'm sure at the very least I'll get something out if it, the art certainly looks nice!
Oh shit I forgot that was on. Now to look for a screen in London!

Also well let's put it this way. I paid like £6 to watch it in the cinema. You paid £12 for a nice disk edition!

Cornbread78

Fukumenkei Noise - END
Dammit, I should have know my man wouldn't win this one. "The first half of the episode with all the performances was awesome stuff, but that ending.... aarrgghh. IT was full out shoujo without the romance, which is unfortunate...

Overall, I really liked the show despite I didn't like how they did the ending. The music was unique and awesome, but it just shows my soft-spot for music type anime. But again, it's empowerment for her in her life, so I guess it all works out...

Syv

Neo Member
Wait, who are you?

Just some Junior reading this thread.

ANN is reporting it too.

isn't this like four arcs? A hitagi one, two ougi ones and a Hachikuji one? How does that work unless these are very short arcs, which only the crab one seems like it could be?

It's three arcs. Hachikuji, Hitagi and Ougi all have one arc. The third volume of Owari has the exact same pagecount as volume one of Owari (the first three arcs of the first Owari season, which was seven episodes if you count the first as two).

Jarmel

Banned
That incident was a partial motivation for a general reassessment within TV Tokyo regarding planning of shows they were producing at the time (including the move of certain programming blocks to time-slots with less exposure, signifying the 'late-night animated show' trend in Japan), but in necessary combination with the stringent requirements following episode 20 of NGE after the complains received from Japanese PTAs. These requirements, I think, were the main cause of Mr. Anno's distrust for the interference coming from the TV station in this particular case.

And early on after the 'Pokémon Shock' happened, a mere disclaimer in front of the programme in question to be aired was deemed enough... remember the "ATTENTION" title card on His and Her Circumstances immediately before the opening? Well, that's it.
So what caused Anno to leave Gainax then as I thought this show was the breaking point for him? Also I'm surprised there aren't more articles detailing exactly what happened considering how big of a deal this was.

So when they switch to the dimming approach?

So what caused Anno to leave Gainax then as I thought this show was the breaking point for him? Also I'm surprised there aren't more articles detailing exactly what happened considering how big of a deal this was.

His and Her Circumstances certainly didn't cause Anno to leave Gainax, considering he was active at the studio as late as 2005 on the OP/EDs for Sugar Sugar Rune.

Cornbread78

Sukasuka END
Even when you know it's coming......

I mean, yeah, we knew it was going to happen from the start, but did it? Still doesn't make it any less shocking... Yeah, it was good. What really happened though? WTF at these damn "read the LN" endings.. That was shameless... Just WTF. How can I be sad and pissed at the same time when they do $hit like this? I'm kinda fired up,

Can Lephrachan's have kids too? Yes, right? So,
Ren and Ctholly
? They marked them as
dead, but not Willem? Willem is obviously still alive and showed up at his old buddies door at the end, right?
Dammit, I want more now to answer some of these questions! Anyone know where they are with the adaptation of the source material? Is there more that can be adapted now, or is this a current ongoing series....

Either way, I really enjoyed the show, but these types of ending tend to piss me off.... Fu(k anime for this $hit....

Damn it all...

How I feel right now...

cERYrVU.gif

Jarmel

Banned
His and Her Circumstances certainly didn't cause Anno to leave Gainax, considering he was active at the studio as late as 2005 on the OP/EDs for Sugar Sugar Rune.
Well my understanding was that the show was the splitting point between Old and New Gainax (not current nu-Gainax) resulting in a lot of the old guard eventually leaving to found Khara. To be fair, doing an OP doesn't mean that they're necessarily still attached to the studio. Anno did the 2199 OP after all as a favor to Izubuchi.

phaze

For some reason I thought they were calling Zoku-Owari as just Owari 2 but now that I'm actually looking at it I was all wrong and we're not getting the conclusion for years still ...

Well my understanding was that the show was the splitting point between Old and New Gainax (not current nu-Gainax) resulting in a lot of the old guard eventually leaving to found Khara. To be fair, doing an OP doesn't mean that they're necessarily still attached to the studio. Anno did the 2199 OP after all as a favor to Izubuchi.

Sure, but the Sugar Sugar Rune OP/EDs were already outsourced to Gainax from Pierrot, who did the animation production for the show as a whole. Plus the previous year Anno had storyboarded and animated for Gunbuster as well as directing and animating for Re:Cutie Honey which was a spinoff from his own Cutie Honey live action film which was produced by Gainax. I think it's safe to say that, whatever the reason, Anno didn't leave Gainax to form Khara until around 2005/6.

Edit: Speaking of Gainax, Princess Maker 3 is now on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom