• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Hints at New TGS offering (gamecube)

neptunes

Square Enix Hints at New TGS offering
Is Akitoshi Kawazu making a new GameCube game?

September 07, 2004 - Square Enix's Akitoshi Kawazu, the producer of the Saga series and GameCube's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, seems to have a new project that's set for unveiling soon.

n an interview with Japanese website Gpara.com, Kawazu is asked to give some insight into his latest projects. Kawazu replies, "I can't go into too much depth, but we're preparing for the Tokyo Game Show. Please look forward to it." It seems that Square Enix will be using the show to debut a new title from Kawazu's group.

more HERE

Soul4ger

neptunes said:
Akitoshi Kawazu was the producer of crystal chronicles. :(

...And Unlimited SaGa? I fail to see your point? Are you saying he's a bad producer, because he did Crystal Chronicles, or are you insinuating that we fail to draw the conclusion, and that's why it's definitely a GC game?

Kawasu!

The man responsible for Final Fantasy II, Crystal Chronicles, SaGa Frontier and Unlimited SaGa, Final Fantasy: Unlimited ... his continued employment is a mystery to us all.

Hope you GameCube owners like raising useless fruit!

Razoric

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Kawasu!

The man responsible for Final Fantasy II, Crystal Chronicles, SaGa Frontier and Unlimited SaGa, Final Fantasy: Unlimited ... his continued employment is a mystery to us all.

Amen.

Soul4ger

JackFrost2012 said:
Kawasu!

I hope you enjoy being a useless fruit!

I'm kidding, really. You're a rather nice person, or you are in my dreams at least. I didn't like raising fruit in Legend of Mana... This post is going nowhere.

Is he a core member of the Game Developers Company? (Squeenix spin off company that developed FFCC?)

IGN have been hinting that Squeenix would have something else for GC for quite a while... like, 6 months ago or something. That'd be a nice surprise anyway.

akascream said:
I want FF:CC on DS!!

I believe that's already confirmed. It'll work really well on it too....

What'd be great was if this was true, and the BrownieBrown/Mana-game rumblings were true too. I'd inch closer to loving my purple lunchbox as much as my SNES and be super hyped for both of those along with Zelda and RE4..

I'd guess this is just Crystal Chronicles DS, which was announced but not shown to the public yet.

Regardless, if it is another GC title, in fact, I'd be pretty stoked on that. CC has a pretty good engine and if you made a Mana game with it, that'd be pretty awesome.

Crystal Chronicles will work 900 kazillion times better on DS. It was a pretty good GC game even if 4 swords whooped it's ass and the connectivity requirement was somewhat an unnecessary albeit cool way to play the game.

Yeah... the hardware requirements are a bitch. I'm loving Four Swords in two player at the moment, but it's going to be so much easier with DS. I think the lack of recent push by Nintendo for connectivity, and the introduction of DS indicates Nintendo probably knew the hardware requirement was an unreasonable hindrance... not that I was unimpressed with FFCC's performance sales wise, but it was unlikely to ever get mainstream popularity that way. Plus by adding touch screen, wifi and a microphone it really opens up even more new play experiences. The common gamer might question the logic in buying two or more consoles to play new games even if they are from his favourite companies... especially given that his friends mightn't be willing to do the same. With DS this won't be the case. I'm rambling... point is: DS >>>>>>> Connectivity.

Yeah, that's what I like so much about the DS: It's like connectivity but it works way easier for everyone involved because you already have two screens and the wireless support right out of the box.

I need to play some more 4 Swords and finally beat it but Pikmin 2 and ToS have just chewed all my gaming time as of late.

firex

Actually, I think he's revealing that he's been the project leader for FF12 all along, and he plans on integrating the pointless grind of FFXI and the frustrating, bizarrely tuned encounters of the Saga series into the main FF series.

Pellham

Banned

There was nothing wrong with Final Fantasy II, and SaGa Frontier was one of the most popular PS games ever (selling over a million copies). It's popular in Japan, but not in the US? Big deal?

Besides, as pointed out by tennin and others in the past, Kawazu was only an executive producer on Unlimited SaGa and Crystal Chronicles. His earlier games like Romancing SaGa II were utterly brilliant.

And what was exactly wrong with FF:CC? I like it much better than that awful movie I was fooled into buying for my PS2 with the Final Fantasy name attached to it and a X at the end.

Hopefully it's FF:CC2 or something along those lines. :)

I never said that, because it isn't true. Kawazu was producer and director on Unlimited Saga, although it's true that he's been a bit less hands on since Saga Frontier 2. I do dig his work, though. It's mostly the lack of documentation that put people off U. Saga. I saw several reviews where people complained about frequent "random battles", apparently oblivious to the fact that battles in the game aren't random and can be avoided with forethought.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
And what was exactly wrong with FF:CC? I like it much better than that awful movie I was fooled into buying for my PS2 with the Final Fantasy name attached to it and a X at the end.

Hopefully it's FF:CC2 or something along those lines. :)

the only good thing about ffcc is the graphics.

FFX is much better Imo. I put 128 Hours in that game.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Pellham said:
There was nothing wrong with Final Fantasy II,

uh yes there is.... the leveling system is broken. any game where I have to attack myself to level up is broken.... broken....b.....r....o...k....e.....n

Alex

FF:CC is fucking great. One of the best co-op games ever. It and Four Swords will keep my GC in active rotation for a lonngggg time.

That said, SaGa sucks, and FF2 is horribly broken. The leveling system and near useless mage jobs make me cry.

Dead

well not really...yet
JackFrost2012 said:
Kawasu!

Another quality post!

Pellham said:
There was nothing wrong with Final Fantasy II, and SaGa Frontier was one of the most popular PS games ever (selling over a million copies). It's popular in Japan, but not in the US? Big deal?

I thought that in 2004 I could leave this part off, but:

Final Fantasy II Japanese, not Final Fantasy II U.S.

And there was OH so much wrong with FFIIj.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Doom_Bringer said:
Egads. What is it with all these people that log over 40 hours into ANY Final Fantasy game??? It is pure insanity.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pellham said:
Forget popular and unpopular. SaGa Frontier is SHIT.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Doom_Bringer said:
the only good thing about ffcc is the graphics.

What in the hell could you possibly have done for 128 hours in FFX? I put in just a little over half that amount of time, and I think the only things I failed to accomplish were getting Lulu's and Kimahri's ultimate weapons. What the hell were you doing for so long?

AniHawk

MetatronM said:
What in the hell could you possibly have done for 128 hours in FFX? I put in just a little over half that amount of time, and I think the only things I failed to accomplish were getting Lulu's and Kimahri's ultimate weapons. What the hell were you doing for so long?

People like a friend of mine like to go back and replay the game in its entirety.

The most I've logged in an RPG (or any game for that matter) was Pokemon Red: 150 hours for all 151 Pokemon. This was achieved in part by the x3 speed thing in Pokemon Stadium, but a friend who borrowed my game with about 100 Pokemon on it and 60 hours worth dropped it and erased the game's fucking memory.

jiggle

MetatronM said:

I spent around 130 hours also, completing all the sidequests.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I didn't like Unlimited Saga. FFCC was pretty but stupid and with the gameplay depth of a three weeks old puppy with down syndrome. Smack enemy, evade, charge, smack, rinse and repeat. Yay for Square and truly-next-gen titles.

Drek

radioheadrule83 said:
Is he a core member of the Game Developers Company? (Squeenix spin off company that developed FFCC?)

IGN have been hinting that Squeenix would have something else for GC for quite a while... like, 6 months ago or something. That'd be a nice surprise anyway.
Yeah, he actually technically owns a big chunk of GDC, hence the speculation that it'd be a GC game.

Hopefully they put into effect some quality control on Kawasu this time. He makes very good looking, artistic games but too often forgets the gameplay.

Top Bottom