• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stanley Parable (Half Life 2 mod) |OT| Philosophy 101 in Source

68y14.jpg

Stanley Parable is a first person adventure game that the creator describes as "an exploration of choice, freedom, storytelling and reality, all examined through the lens of what it means to play a video game". The key word here is choice, but giving any examples would spoil the whole game.

As the creator says in the description, its best if you don't know anything going into Stanley Parable. Its a very unique experience and knowing anything about it will certainly spoil it. Its not a long game (You can complete all the endings in about half an hour) but its certainly worth playing.

Note that you need either Half Life 2 or the Source SDK Base 2007 to play it, as it uses the same assets.

The mod is available for download here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable

Here is a trailer, which doesn't give a whole lot away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIppRUoe70E

RockPaperShotgun.com said:
It’s brilliant. Exquisite, even. I can’t spoil it by talking about it, but there’s a trailer below, if you want to take a look. But you shouldn’t look. You should play it.

Give it a try, and make sure to mark all spoilers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Played it all. And wow, that was awesome.

The
real ending
was beautiful.

StuBurns

Banned
It was awesome.

I haven't done everything, apparently I've seen
five of the six endings
. But I loved it, and I might make a Source mod thread because now I really want to check out if there is more stuff of this quality out there.

The M.O.B

StuBurns said:
It was awesome.

five of the six endings
. But I loved it, and I might make a Source mod thread because now I really want to check out if there is more stuff of this quality out there.

We have one, here.

It has TONS of recommendations and links to the best mods, Botoft keeps it very updated.

StuBurns

Banned
The M.O.B said:
We have one, here.

It has TONS of recommendations and links to the best mods, Botoft keeps it very updated.
Even better, thank you.

And I've did that last thing now. Very impressive piece of work, it must be pretty awesome to have made something like that. I hope the guy has been picked up where ever he had his eye on.

EDIT: That thread has two this guy specifically mentioned as inspirations for this mod, very cool.

The M.O.B

Why would you do that? said:
Will this work if you only have the free Team Fortress 2? IIRC it should have Source 2007.

(I have the whole Orange Box, but I'm just curious.)

Go into your tool menu and if you have Source SDK Base 2007 installed then your good to go.

The SDK is free for everybody so just install it if you haven't already.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Actually just got done with it. It was kinda interesting.
The ending I got was kind of offputting. It was interesting in that it happened and made me go "oh whoa, thats pretty neat" but then the narrator who I already wasn't really liking continued to drive home the conclusion I reached 10 seconds prior with a ridiculously awful monologue. I found myself thinking "yeah, it is pretty cool. but you just completely ruined any effect it had by pointing it out."

I only played it that once and don't really intend to go back and look for all the other endings. I don't really want to see the seams, or whatever. The path I chose was the path I chose. Is that the correct way to play this?

StuBurns

Banned
The endings play off each other. It's not like Heavy Rain where you are meant to just live with the path you picked.

StuBurns said:
It was awesome.

five of the six endings

There is a Source mod thread, and I posted this in it a few days ago :(

yeah, Stanley Parable is great. I almost made a thread about it but I'm glad someone else did.

rabhw

This mod creeped me out more than it probably should have.

I think it was because the hallway textures reminded me of The Shining.

Got all of the endings, I only realized afterwards that you can quicksave. Would have saved me a lot of time, ah well :)

Luigi87

Okay, that was a really impressive piece.

I really don't know what to say that wouldn't be spoiling anything, but this is definitely something that should be experienced.

Computer said:
It sounds pretentious.

I can understand how it may come off as that (I myself was thinking the same thing), but it does make a good point for what it is saying.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
fwiw, I dialed my phone number into the wall panel and half expected my cellphone to ring.

Inkwell

Banned
Good to see this (and the HL2 mod thread) get some more recognition.

Also, I hope the guy that did the narration gets some more work. I thought he did a fantastic job.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Simple yet very effective, and devoid of the usual art game wank in favour of poking fun and genuine humour. I've only got three endings so far, but I'll try and get them all. A great idea.

Just got all endings.

I thought it was ok. Didn't really raise any major philosophical questions, except the typical
"do we really have the ability to make choices?"

Still a nice, fun, humorous little adventure.

Aon

Lionel Mandrake said:
This sounds interesting. I've never actually installed a mod that wasn't available on steam. Is it simple to do?

Yeah, you just extract the folder to programfiles/steam/steamapps/sourcemods and then restart steam. The game appears in your library as if you'd just purchased the latest AAA gore fest!

A note to everyone playing, that Author's Commentary thing in the mod's .rar is also not pretentious! Mostly the dude talking about how the game was developed and stuff he noticed playtesting. Interesting as anything :D

Really enjoyed it. I can see this turned to an actual game. Felt more like a glimpse of an actual game. Got like 4-5 endings and they were all good.

Def worth a try since you can beat the game in about 1 to 2 minutes.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Can I play mods in OS X? (Having installed HL2, of course...)

Roofy

haha I now understand why everyone on my steam friends list started playing this game I've never heard of. Installing now

Salsa

well, i had a rather weird experience with this game so far.

at first i did everything opposite to what the narrator told me, then i arrived at the first map of HL2 when you get off the train. After walking forward and through all the game's path, i came to this point where there was no way to continue. I noticed a small black chunk of "missing" map, so i crouched and went through there. The moment i fell the narration stopped, a weird screeching noise was heard and steam closed itself. The game menues became fucked as i could not save/load or even exit the game. I noticed a white light in front of me and started working towards it, once i did i was in the first section of the game again, but with no narration. After a while i started taking the other path until the game suddenly turned into a black screen with nothing going on.

uhhhhhh second playthrough here i come?

im liking it

Is it a philosophical question regarding who will actually install this Desura crap?

I, for one, shall not.

Edit: You don't need to install it. Just click on the 'downloads' section.

Edit 2: Is it truly an edit if no one was around to see it?

vid

I started to make this thread yesterday, but couldn't decide what I wanted to say. In the end, I guess I'll just say this:

While I enjoyed The Stanley Parable and had fun messing with the choices and getting the different endings (
first ending I got was the one where you get crushed to death
), I couldn't stop thinking about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_Qc3fv1fM#t=33s

Man, I love that movie.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SalsaShark said:
well, i had a rather weird experience with this game so far.

at first i did everything opposite to what the narrator told me, then i arrived at the first map of HL2 when you get off the train. After walking forward and through all the game's path, i came to this point where there was no way to continue. I noticed a small black chunk of "missing" map, so i crouched and went through there. The moment i fell the narration stopped, a weird screeching noise was heard and steam closed itself. The game menues became fucked as i could not save/load or even exit the game. I noticed a white light in front of me and started working towards it, once i did i was in the first section of the game again, but with no narration. After a while i started taking the other path until the game suddenly turned into a black screen with nothing going on.

uhhhhhh second playthrough here i come?

im liking it

Sounds like the narration bugged out there, as you still should have heard some. Everything else was normal though.

That part seems buggy, as I had texture bugs.

Salsa

EatChildren said:
Sounds like the narration bugged out there, as you still should have heard some. Everything else was normal though.

That part seems buggy, as I had texture bugs.

yup, i got some texture bugs as well

the game also has terrible draw distance and LOD for some reason. Textures are shit when im 10 meters away from them, then i take one step and they appear fine, heh.

Then again, none of this affects the point of the game whatsoever.

Max

I am not Max
Because your avatar is Gunther i'll check it out

Never been into these artsy mods, like that one where you look at stars, terrible.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just played through 3 times and got 3 different endings.

Great stuff. Helped that I started the game knowing absolutely nothing about it other than just play it.

Zomba13

Ok. Am I doing this right?
Not to spoil anything but I closed the first door you get and it won't open (I didn't leave the room) then on a reload did what I was told and the door at the end of this room won't open.

Top Bottom