• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stanley Parable (Half Life 2 mod) |OT| Philosophy 101 in Source

Zomba13

Ok, my earlier problems were just glitches. Restarted and the doors actually opened.

I really liked this. Loved the narrator. I think I got all the endings.

I hope Valve hires this guy and bundles a revision of it in the Blue Balls Box (Orange Box 2, etc). This deserves to be played, and this guy deserves to get paid.

Whoever scripted all the audio is very good. Timing was so good and very funny.

Got a few endings, can't be bothered to play again. I think I got the funny ones.

Acosta

That was fucking amazing.

The, "I'm going to activate the generator and take control" ending was incredible.

From the Author's Comments (obvious spoilers):

-Almost everyone on their first playthrough takes the left door. Of those players who take
the left door, almost everyone on their first playthrough actually chooses to engage the generator.
For some reason right at that moment a rebellious gene kicks in.

Nailed that one, for me at least. I did
refuse to enter the code, opening it after a while by just mashing buttons over and over until it let you past
and
push a chair, pretty much the only thing you can interact with up to that point, down the hallway and into the big lab area

I think I've done everything in the game that there is to do, unless there was something pretty obscure. My only debate is if
there's something for not moving at all at the very start. I tried just looking around on my first play for a while, then on another play not touching anything, but I did click to skip the cinema...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Meh waste of time, but I do appreciate the effort on the creator's part. The narration was spot-on both in timing and effectiveness. I'm gonna have my friend play through it just to see what ending he gets first-time through.

If you guys are interested in another cool artsy HL2 mod you should check out Mistake of Pythagoras. Unlike Stanley's Parable, it carries no real message, but does contain much symbolism and is really fun to play through.

Kulock said:
From the Author's Comments (obvious spoilers):

Now that's scary. This game is all about questioning if you really are in control of your own actions and as it turns out, most people make the exact same choices as me.

hamchan

-Almost everyone on their first playthrough takes the left door. Of those players who take
the left door, almost everyone on their first playthrough actually chooses to engage the generator.
For some reason right at that moment a rebellious gene kicks in.

Interesting, I
took the right door instantly when he told me to take the left. I guess I'm a rebel at heart :3

Anilusion

hamchan said:
Interesting, I
took the right door instantly when he told me to take the left. I guess I'm a rebel at heart :3

Same,
I did everything opposite to what he said all the time and I got to some huge "test room" with dev textures, after a while I got teleported to the first map of Half-Life 2. I Ran along the usual path and after the part where Barney helps you escape and you jump out the window (There are no NPCs here, but you know where I mean), you couldn't get any further. I noticed there was a black texture in a corner and walked over there. Turns out it's actually a hole in the world, and I fall down to something completely black. The narrator gets surprised and tells me that was not supposed to happen. I look around and I see a small lightsource far away. I decice to run over there, and as I do the narrators voice gets lower and lower. When I reach the lightsource, I get teleported back to the beginning of the game. But this time it's silent. No narrator around. I run around, trying to take some other path, but after a while the screen turns black, and the narrator is back. I can't remember what he said, but this "game" is pretty cool.

Sibylus

Banned
hamchan said:
Interesting, I
I did the same,
ignored every command to begin with and didn't stop :p

masterkajo

I am really curious and am downloading the mod right now. But I have one short question beforehand: Under category it reads: Horror. Does that mean there are a lot of scares or even ugly monsters (or something in that direction) jumping at you when you least expact it? Just want to know beforehand because I might leave on the light then... (serious question).

Ah... writing this gives me a flashback back at portal when I played it and did not know what to expect. I remember the first room where you could go outside the white neat environement into the dark and ugly side rooms and somehow even though I knew something wasn't right in here, I didn't want to go outside it. Totally scarded of monsters and shit. Was a totally strange feeling.

Evershade

Wow, loved the ending when you go down the stairs. Whole game felt like watching a bizarre indie movie narrated by Stephen Fry.

Are there any others mods/games with this kind of branching narrative based on quick impulsive decisions?

masterkajo

Botolf said:
The category is a red herring, presumably to conceal what the mod is like.
Ah ok, thanks. I am just now installing HL2 and it started at 73% (even though I have never installed it on this PC before). This is normal though, I guess since a lot of the files are also used by other source games, right? But I was still asked to download the SDK Base 2007 when I wanted to start TSP so I guess not all necessary files where there.

clav

6/6

Was worth my time.

Thanks for posting this.

To save people some time, one of the endings does not include falling to kill your character.

The M.O.B

Played this last week, first path I took was
I went right at the two doors, but then I went back on the path when he told me to, but then instead of going up the stairs I went down them and get stuck in that infinite loop.

StuBurns

Banned
I think I did the worst first choice.

The
bomb
one, because although the endings play into one another, that's the only one that provides any logic for them to all exist within the same construct, so it's that one you are probably meant to get last.

Emitan

Only have 3 endings so far. Loved it.

Why can't I see my feet when I look down? Why do all the doors close behind me automatically? Why is there a voice in my head?!

StuBurns

Banned
Billychu said:
Only have 3 endings so far. Loved it.

Why can't I see my feet when I look down? Why do all the doors close behind me automatically? Why is there a voice in my head?!
The doors thing was great. The game was already giving me a strong Prisoner vibe, and that happens in that.

Emitan

My favorite part is from the "rebellious" path where you do everything wrong:
He keeps saying to go through the red door and keeps teleporting you back when you take the blue door until he tricks you by moving the blue door behind you, but eventually sighs and gives up and complains this part of the mod isn't even finished

Also, from the generator room:
Also his comments about you trying to escape because a timer means you need to do something instead of simply being a countdown to your death and added more time for the hell of it

clav

Billychu said:
My favorite part is from the "rebellious" path where you do everything wrong:
He keeps saying to go through the red door and keeps teleporting you back when you take the blue door until he tricks you by moving the blue door behind you, but eventually sighs and gives up and complains this part of the mod isn't even finished

Also, from the generator room:
Also his comments about you trying to escape because a timer means you need to do something instead of simply being a countdown to your death and added more time for the hell of it
Easily these two paths made this mod worthwhile.

clav

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED

Can someone explain to me about
the ending with the lady replacing the male narrator? Your character gets a vision if he were to escape the pod before the inevitable? Why is it a female voice?

claviertekky said:
Can someone explain to me about
the ending with the lady replacing the male narrator? Your character gets a vision if he were to escape the pod before the inevitable? Why is it a female voice?
My take is that the male "narrator" both serves as the voice of the boss of whatever 1985-esque corporation it is supposed to be, and as a voice of the game designer himself. The narrator in the story both sort of exists in the world that Stanley lives, and is sort of outside it. The only real thing keeping the male narrator involed inside the world is his attachment to Stanely and his fate. The female voice is more of a narrator (though still biased) of both parties, and I assume it is female in order to differenciate itself with the male voice. This ending for me is about how game designers design rulesets that, no matter your input, don't really want the player to defy their rules and punishes them if they don't follow. The best solution for game designers that don't want the best for their players? Quit their game! The vision both serves as one final kick in the pants that the player has no control over his fate anymore, and the only way out of the system is just to quit the whole thing (the best part being those Exit signs that gave me that last glimmer of hope). This and the "engadge the generator" endings are my favorite.

yarden24

I enjoyed this game, first ending I got was the
kill yourself one, and since it was the first one I didnt quite get what was going on.
had fun with it anyway, got all the endings afterwards.

Datwheezy said:
Such a great Mod. Hope a company picks him up.
That would be odd.

Anyway I thought it was neat, though the real star of the show was the voice work. Made me want a Half-Life narrated by Stephen Fry.
Shiggy said:
How do I install this on Windows? Desura won't allow me to download this...
Put it into Steam -> steamapps -> SourceMods, reboot steam and it's good to go.

Shiggy

Danne-Danger said:
That would be odd.

Anyway I thought it was neat, though the real star of the show was the voice work. Made me want a Half-Life narrated by Stephen Fry.

Thanks, now that I've downloaded it somewhere else that's also what the readme told me ;)
Any idea why Desura won't send me a confirmation mail though?

Shiggy

Danne-Danger said:
That would be odd.

They want me to Source SDK first, isn't it enough that I have Half-Life 2 installed?

Top Bottom