• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xe4

Banned
It's mentioned somewhere that KIC is a few hundred million years old, which doesn't strike me as particularly old. But more importantly the way we determine the age of stars may not be 100% certain. We need a physicist to clarify this part.

Edit: this is the relevant part:
It's really, really difficult to determine the age of a star. It's only really possible if they're really old or really young (in this case), due to the cycle a star goes through, and even then we're talking only accurate to within a few million years.

Other than that, we can tell the range of ages a star could be, as red dwarfs last longer and blue giants much shorter, we can our a minimum and maximum on its age.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's really, really difficult to determine the age of a star. It's only really possible if they're really old or really young (in this case), due to the cycle a star goes through, and even then we're talking only accurate to within a few million years.

Other than that, we can tell the range of ages a star could be, as red dwarfs last longer and blue giants much shorter, we can our a minimum and maximum on its age.
How is it done?
Do we look at the star's emission spectrum to determine its composition and according to the distribution of light and heavier elements/isotopes determine the age?
What are the possible sources of error when trying to determine a star's age?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wait didn't they say tabbys star had been dimming for over 100 years already? How does that explain that?

Assuming the 100 year data is accurate (the older measurements could very well be quite noisy) and that it's being interpreted correctly (it's not always a simple matter to calibrate different measurements from different instruments made during very different times, especially when the older ones were probably less accurate and not documented as well) a decrease in brightness over 100 years could still potentially be due to a (slower/further away) transit of debris.

I think that's what is meant when the idea of inner and outer disks is brought up, i.e. that they would have different rates of rotation. At the very least (if I understand correctly) that would account for the various dimmings observed that have different periods as well as different changes in flux.

I kind of assumed it would be something like this, but for some reason the simple accretion disk had not entered my mind.

This thread is therefore a really good example of being "blinded by narrative" or wanting something (confirmation bias) so that you forget about stuff you actually know about.

Koren

Assuming the 100 year data is accurate (the older measurements could very well be quite noisy) and that it's being interpreted correctly (it's not always a simple matter to calibrate different measurements from different instruments made during very different times, especially when the older ones were probably less accurate and not documented as well) a decrease in brightness over 100 years could still potentially be due to a (slower/further away) transit of debris.
Can't a "long"-time dimming be simply a consequence of Earth slowly coming closer to the planeary plane of this system (or something moving inbetween)? You don't even need any rotation effect.

I'd say only irregular/periodical variations may be interesting...

fallout

How is it done?
Do we look at the star's emission spectrum to determine its composition and according to the distribution of light and heavier elements/isotopes determine the age?
What are the possible sources of error when trying to determine a star's age?
It's surprisingly difficult. Using spectral analysis and brightness measurements, we can learn about a star's luminosity, temperature and composition. We can also take this data and plot it on an HR diagram. This can tell us lots of information about the star and how it fits into the galactic population of stars, but not its age.

That said, it is possible to tell the age of stars by looking at ones in a cluster. Rather than try to summarize, there's a good article on how it works here:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-scientists-determi/

In recent years, we've also used the Kepler telescope to judge the age of individual stars by looking at how fast they spin:

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2011-15

ced

First round of GAIA data is out, puts it at 1276 ly away, with an error margin of 200 ly, so it's close to the original distance, or closer.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So it's getting closer?

latest

sphinx

the piano man
First round of GAIA data is out, puts it at 1276 ly away, with an error margin of 200 ly, so it's close to the original distance, or closer.

this does not change the fact that we already know the reason for the light pattern. right?

SkyOdin

this does not change the fact that we already know the reason for the light pattern. right?
To be clear, we don't know the reason for the light pattern yet. There is a theory, but it is too early to be certain. We are still at the stage that saying the answer would be premature.

Keep hope alive!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alien-megastructure-star-mystery/

Simon and Montet looked at Kepler’s observations and noticed that beyond the shifts in brightness, the star “faded slowly and steadily” over a four-year period. The main questions rest in why the star seems to fade in and out – do huge clusters of comets orbit around the star, for instance? Or is it a flickering sign of an extraterrestrial civilization?

“This star was already completely unique because of its sporadic dimming episodes. But now we see that it has other features that are just as strange, both slowly dimming for almost three years and then suddenly getting fainter much more rapidly,” Simon said.

“This is an oddball, a real oddball,” physicist and CBS News science contributor Michio Kaku told CBS News last year. “Kepler for years has been giving us a catalog of over 1,000 extra-solar planets and this is the first oddball out of hundreds of thousands of stars scanned. This is the first one that does not fit the usual scenario.”

"We've deployed a fantastic new SETI instrument that connects to that telescope, that can look at many gigahertz of bandwidth simultaneously and many, many billions of different radio channels all at the same time so we can explore the radio spectrum very, very quickly," Siemion added.

The observations will take place for 8 hours per night for three nights over the next two months, with the first observations set to take place Wednesday (Oct. 26), project team members said.

http://www.space.com/34505-alien-megastructure-star-seti-search.html

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not to self promote my own thread but I thought people interseted in what is going on with this star should know we should be able to hopefully get a much better look and clearer view of whats going on now that the James Webb telescope has been finished after 2 decades.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308815#post223215179

It won't launch until two years of testing are done, so not till 2018 but I'm hopeful that if we don't figure out what's going on with this star before then, that we could use the telescope to focus on this star and see what the hell is actually going on.

Not to self promote my own thread but I thought people interseted in what is going on with this star should know we should be able to hopefully get a much better look and clearer view of whats going on now that the James Webb telescope has been finished after 2 decades.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308815#post223215179

It won't launch until two years of testing are done, so not till 2018 but I'm hopeful that if we don't figure out what's going on with this star before then, that we could use the telescope to focus on this star and see what the hell is actually going on.

OMG thank you, man!

This is incredible news.

Welp. Dream over guys.

The researchers have been studying how the star's large and small dips in brightness relate to each other, and when they applied a number of mathematical models to the data, they came up with patterns that also appear in what's known as avalanche statistics.

Avalanche statistics have turned up in all kinds of natural phenomena, including solar flares, gamma-ray bursts, and neural activity in the brain, and while the maths is pretty complicated, in basic terms, it reveals patterns where small dips in the data occurring between the larger dips ultimately equate to even larger dips.

Avalanche statistics appear to be associated with things going through certain phase transitions - most commonly between solid, liquid, and gaseous states of matter, and in rare cases, plasma.

Phase transitions are thought to be associated with solar activity such as solar flares and solar storms, so it could be that KIC 8462852's internal materials are transitioning, and the result is erratic outbursts that block its light.

More at the link:
http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...eirdness-that-is-the-alien-megastructure-star

There are no "super" civilizations out there

If we want to look for aliens, we should think about how we'd find ourselves in this huge universe

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well this just confirms species don't become galaxy spanning super civilizations like we expect but instead leave behind their physical forms and transcend to a new reality of being.

While we're all dealing with the disappointment of a Dyson sphere-less universe (so far), let's also try and be amazed that we solved a baffling astronomical mystery 1,500 light years away with about a year's worth of serious attention.

Stasis

Dyson Alpha/Beta.

Has anyone posted this yet? I'm surely not the first. Too lazy to search/check on mobile atm.

Edit: nm! Two posts up, kinda.

While we're all dealing with the disappointment of a Dyson sphere-less universe (so far), let's also try and be amazed that we solved a baffling astronomical mystery 1,500 light years away with about a year's worth of serious attention.

I doubt it was some earth shattering mystery. That's just shitty journalism trying to stir up the pot with alien talk.

This was always the likely outcome, and it was probably never that big of a deal. That's not to say it's not amazing that scientists have the technology and smarts

Ovid

Thanks for the update but the article didn't mention anything about conclusive evidence with regards to Tabby's Star. It appears that scientists are providing yet another hypothesis (this time using mathematical modeling) that so far seems to fit with what we're observing. A conclusive solution has not been provided.

The dream lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom