• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Goes Gold!

Hell yeah!

Prepare for battle. LucasArts is excited to announce that the highly anticipated action/shooter, Star Wars Battlefront has officially GONE GOLD on PS2, Xbox and PC and is scheduled to blast its way onto store shelves on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 --- day and date with the Star Wars Trilogy, which marks the first time all three classic films will be available on DVD.
Star Wars Battlefront is an intense open-ended single player and multiplayer action game set in the Star Wars universe that puts fans and gamers in the heat of the action as they re-live all of the epic battles from the classic and prequel eras. In the game, console and PC players can choose intense free-form multiplayer combat or a variety of robust single player modes including “Historical Campaigns” and “Galactic Conquest.”

Star Wars Battlefront is published by LucasArts and developed by Pandemic Studios. For more information, please visit the official product website at: www.starwarsbattlefront.com

star-wars-battlefront-20040823111456315.jpg

star-wars-battlefront-20040823111501362.jpg

star-wars-battlefront-20040823111500300.jpg

BojTrek

Banned
I just posted the question on another board...

Is Star Wars: Battlefront basically HALO?

Do you just run, shoot, die, restart, shoot, hide, die, restart?

Or is it an adventure type of game, ala Resident Evil Online?

I love that it is 3rd. person if you want to play it that way... 1st. person gets me sick...

Sysgen

Someone posted another board about the fact that the game coincides with the relase of the new DVD and that he was skeptical of the games quality. I share his opinion. If the game had a hard deadline it could mean quality control issues aka bugs aka anomalies.

jedimike

Someone posted another board about the fact that the game coincides with the relase of the new DVD and that he was skeptical of the games quality. I share his opinion. If the game had a hard deadline it could mean quality control issues aka bugs aka anomalies.

Or it could mean that the game has been done for a while, but they were waiting for the DVD to get a media push.

I know Battlefront has been playable at several exhibits this year and LucasArts even had a promo a couple months ago where editors when to Skywalker Ranch and played the game.

Is Star Wars: Battlefront basically HALO?

Basicallly... you choose a faction to join and you are part of that team. While on the team you coordinate with teammates to accomplish whatever the mission is (CTF, etc.). You can attack with snowspeeders, X-wings, etc. Die and respawn.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

I havent been following the game too closely, but is it more like Battlefield or like Halo? Does the game have classes, and spawn points to conquer?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
More like Battlefield. Nvidia had it up and running at their booth, it was quite cool even at that stage (granted it was just one Forest level). I don't think this is a case of rushing the title through the door to coincide with the DVD release date, personally.

Ramirez

According to the PSM review,there is only one type of play and its conquer or whatever where you take over the enemies base.There isn't any CTF,etc.

Oh and they gave it an 8,can't wait :D

jedimike

Jagernaut said:
Is this game 1st person (boo) or 3rd person (yay)?

It's both... for Xbox you just click on right thumbstick to change perspectives.

From the previews, it sounds like the single player game is actually pretty damned good... these are some of the things you'll see.

We had the "opportunity" to fight a battle against Lord Vader, and realized, among other things, that it's damn near impossible to kill a Jedi. These AI characters will run around the map deflecting almost every incoming blaster shot (and even such things as rockets) and killing foes with one swing of the lightsaber. This is pretty amusing to watch, and also an effective aid, if it happens to be on your side. We also saw the sabotage bonus at work, which seems like it'll greatly hinder the side it's used against. While sabotage was active, enemy vehicles were already smoking and on the verge of falling apart when they first entered battle, and we were told that these vehicles will come into the fray with their energy at about 10 percent as opposed to having 100-percent energy for a fresh vehicle, which is a harsh penalty indeed for the opposing side.

Other notable things I found...

It is class based

The various classes in the game introduce an easy-to-grasp bit of depth to the proceedings. You'll have five classes to choose from on each side. Although four of the classes will be similar in terms of ability, each faction will have a unique class with special abilities. Figuring out when to use the various classes during battle will present a nice, manageable challenge. As for the breakdown of classes for each side, we offer a quick rundown. The Rebel units will be made up of the soldier, marksman, pilot, wookiee smuggler, and vanguard. The Imperial side will have the stormtrooper, shock trooper, pilot, scout trooper, and dark trooper.

In the Episode I duels, the Republic forces will consist of the clone trooper, jet trooper, clone pilot, clone sharpshooter, and arc trooper. Finally, the Trade Federation units will be made up of the droideka, super battle droid, assault droid, droid pilot, and recon droid. While all but the unique classes are fairly straightforward, there are some race-specific bonuses in certain instances. For example, the fusion cutter-wielding units in the Trade Federation forces can repair all the units of that faction.

Controls are customizable.

So far, all I can find is the multiplayer "conquer" mode. Downloadable content is forthcoming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
played this at game stars live on Wednesday. Lots of fun. Both demo missions were you as the bad guys - one new series, one OT.

OT was fun, as I was a speeder bike trooper looking for C3PO and R2D2, and was going around shooting those stupid trash can droids, then jumping into an ATST and blowing the shit out of everything.

All very authentic star wars, lots of melee combat, all lots of fun.

My surprise of the show, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Only concern is that the one player game had a lot of characters on the game field, and I don't know how many players are supported on Xbox live. I don't know if I'll like mixing up real multiplayer with bots or not. I like the idea that on a multiplayer game, everyone is human and fallible. But then Xbox is seemingly only ever 16 players over broadband (don't really understand why its less than PC games) Lets see if they can pull that off.

Could be a contender for game of the year. Seriously.

jedimike

thx for the impressions MK... the single player sounds great!

Multiplayer on console is 16 human players + AI online, 32 + AI over LAN. I assume though, that you can limit your games to just human players.

After visiting the official site,I see that the box art says this game is for 1-4 players. Hmm,I wonder if cooperative play is in it? Or is the 4 player part just a multi player death match or capture the flag mode? Anyway I've got my copy preordered,this game looks like it may rock hard in September.

hiryu

I can't wait for the computer version, and for those asking the game is basically Battlefield set in the Star Wars universe.

Sysgen

jedimike said:
Or it could mean that the game has been done for a while, but they were waiting for the DVD to get a media push.

I know Battlefront has been playable at several exhibits this year and LucasArts even had a promo a couple months ago where editors when to Skywalker Ranch and played the game.

Basicallly... you choose a faction to join and you are part of that team. While on the team you coordinate with teammates to accomplish whatever the mission is (CTF, etc.). You can attack with snowspeeders, X-wings, etc. Die and respawn.

Good post. Thinking out of the box :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was at gamestars, and I think its worth getting :p

Don't know how deep or complex it will be, or how it will directly compare to specific gameplay elements of battlefield, but it felt fun.

Online is absolutely key though, so I might look at the PC version if it supports more players online.

Top Bottom