• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Giolon

LOL no ranked warzones in 1.2. Announced a fucking day before release.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/update-ranked-warzones-game-update-1.2

I'd far rather they release without them than delay 1.2 any more. They already should have released the thing a month ago. Besides, it's not like you can't PvP or get the new gear. The game needs an injection of content and bug fixes more than anything else at this point (maybe some server mergers).

It sucks, but it's better than the alternative of delaying everything. You've still got the new Warzone!

Giolon

So not only did they cut the feature entirely for 1.2, the first phase it will come back in will only allow full 8-player group queues.

What a colossal fuck up. Get your shit together, Bioware.

Not being able to assign a number to your WZ performance is a colossal fuck up?

1.2 still has:

UI Editor that people have been bitching about needing for months
Legacy system
New Warzone w/ same faction support
New Flashpoint
New Operation
New PvE and PvP sets
Crafting Overhaul
Balance tweaks for all classes, including Mortar Volley/Death from Above normalization
Major bug fixes to existing content

And it's still a colossal fuckup? Wow...such high standards. Come on man, I know it's disappointing but let's not get crazy here.

UltraMav

I'm not really too upset that they're delaying ranked warzones, I got sick of warzones a long time ago and focus more on PvE now anyways with only doing PvP occasionally. I just find it ridiculous that they decided this today.

My guild may lose a few members over it, seeing as they re-subbed for ranked warzones... which they are all of the sudden not getting.

Wallach

Not being able to assign a number to your WZ performance is a colossal fuck up?

1.2 still has:

UI Editor that people have been bitching about needing for months
Legacy system
New Warzone w/ same faction support
New Flashpoint
New Operation
New PvE and PvP sets
Crafting Overhaul
Balance tweaks for all classes, including Mortar Volley/Death from Above normalization
Major bug fixes to existing content

And it's still a colossal fuckup? Wow...such high standards. Come on man, I know it's disappointing but let's not get crazy here.

It's a colossal fuck up that they cut a major feature hours before the patch went live when it's been on the PTS for a month now. The new PvP sets are made pretty pointless without rated WZs if you have no proper access to rated WZ comms; just with the main hand slot if you are lacking the BM piece you are talking over 10,000 WZ comms to get that slot filled. On top of that their plan is now to roll out an initial phase where you can't queue up with less than 8 players, which excludes who knows how many current PvP groups along with 100% of the solo queue people. PvP in this game has basically been one gaffe after another, so yeah I think they really do need to get their shit together on this front.

Ranked warzone stuff was the least important feature of 1.2 to me, so I'm fine with it. I wasn't going to touch the ranked stuff for a while anyways.

It's a colossal fuck up that they cut a major feature hours before the patch went live when it's been on the PTS for a month now. The new PvP sets are made pretty pointless without rated WZs if you have no proper access to rated WZ comms; just with the main hand slot if you are lacking the BM piece you are talking over 10,000 WZ comms to get that slot filled. On top of that their plan is now to roll out an initial phase where you can't queue up with less than 8 players, which excludes who knows how many current PvP groups along with 100% of the solo queue people. PvP in this game has basically been one gaffe after another, so yeah I think they really do need to get their shit together on this front.

Seeing as they are doing this mainly from player feedback due to their testing events, I think thats great. There was obvious issues with the system and it needs more testing than a few events they ran.

Grymm

Banned
So typically EAWare.

A game developer cutting major features out of a game literally hours before it goes live probably deserves its own thread. That's some bait and switch fraud right there.

They said they hope to start rolling out the ranked warzone stuff before 1.3, so might be only a few weeks before they start it back up.

So typically EAWare.

A game developer cutting major features out of a game literally hours before it goes live probably deserves its own thread. That's some bait and switch fraud right there.

You must be new to MMOs.

They are delaying a part of an update which will be rolled out later. The alternative being releasing something broken to the public tomorrow or delaying the entire content patch for several more weeks?

Moaradin

I think they realized that without cross server queues, ranked BGs are kinda useless. It's hard enough to find matches on some servers. It would have been impossible to get matches with different people if they don't have cross server queues.

aett

Although I'm extremely excited for 1.2, I'm almost more excited about the fact that they said they would do the Australia-region transfers soon after 1.2, and then all other server transfers after that. It'll be so nice to be on a more populated server so I can actually run HMs (and other FPs/heroics for my alts) during my limited playtime. And once we finally get a dungeon finder, that'll be even better.

Also, a non-SWTOR player on another forum gave me a baby Tauntaun (or Taunfawn, as he called it) code from PAX just now. God DAMN am I ready for tomorrow.

Grymm

Banned
You must be new to MMOs.

They are delaying a part of an update which will be rolled out later. The alternative being releasing something broken to the public tomorrow or delaying the entire content patch for several more weeks?

I think you must be the one new to MMOs if you find TOR as a product and EAWares handling of it so far acceptable.

Also, if EAWare really had some sort of policy or standard or cared about unfinished, unpolished, or broken content not being released until it was ready then there would be no EV, half the flashpoints would be gone, Ilum would never have existed, etc. For some companies who have standards they hold their products too yes, they do hold back content that isn't ready. EAWare... not so much. Push it out to make a quick buck, hype it to keep interest, pull it and dangle that carrot some more.

That way people who must be new to MMOs fall for it. Apparently I'm replying to one of those people.

Sent

You must be new to MMOs.

Major bait and switch. You don't cut a feature hours before your largest, most important patch. They knew. If you believe otherwise you're just naive. I like how some of you just take this on the chin like it's par for the course.

Anyone who was into PVP just got a nice slap. It would've been better if they told people 3 weeks ago. You don't do this hours before.

"New to MMOs"? Don't make me laugh.

Draxal

Major bait and switch. You don't cut a feature hours before your largest, most important patch. They knew. If you believe otherwise you're just naive. I like how some of you just take this on the chin like it's par for the course.

Anyone who was into PVP just got a nice slap. It would've been better if they told people 3 weeks ago. You don't do this hours before.

They had to do it.

Last week they noticed they might not get enough people on live in ranked warzoness, so their solution was they might have to drag in people who q'd for unranked pvp into ranked warzones.

That would be more disastrous for pvp then it not going live.

Basically, it would of been early Ilum 1.1 if it went live.

isny

napkin dispenser
They obviously waited until the last minute on purpose. They waited until enough people resubscribed. (But we all know we'll get a damage control post from the devs saying something along the line of "we tried as hard as we could even up until the last minute but had a meeting just before we left the offices for the night and HAD to make the decision to nix it due to quality issues to make sure the rest of the patch goes live and isn't delayed")

gatti-man

I think they realized that without cross server queues, ranked BGs are kinda useless. It's hard enough to find matches on some servers. It would have been impossible to get matches with different people if they don't have cross server queues.

Yeah I knew people would get screwed just not sure who. Turns out its me :( hurry up bioware!

arimanius

Last week they noticed they might not get enough people on live in ranked warzoness, so their solution was they might have to drag in people who q'd for unranked pvp into ranked warzones.

I feel like a broken record talking about BW horrible communication. If they knew last week this might be an issue they shouldn't of waited 5 hours before the patch went live to say something.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Take it on the chin? The patch is huge and there is a lot of cool stuff being added, but this feature wasn't ready. When it's ready they will release it. Make sure it's right, don't release it broken, that would have been worse. Delaying the entire patch would have been worse. I don't get the anger.

Moaradin

People would not have been happy if this released unfinished. I think delaying it is better if it means it will be fully featured once it releases.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The point is: it should have been ready. When they're advertising since December/January: 1.2--"the ranked PvP patch," introduces stat tracking, ranking for PvPers; "we understand PvPers need some sort of rating ladder," etc... I mean come on. Hell, I think they've claimed that this stuff has been in the works since even before the game launched--time and time again Bioware just shows how incompetent they are with handling new content. They either A) rush with bugs B) delay and still have bugs or C) lie for subs. It's almost trolling at this point; the only polished piece of content in the game is Karagga's Palace for christs sake.

They've been hyping up the ranked PvP for so long, we've gotten our teams together, we were all ready to go; and then they drop the A-Bomb a few hours before patch deployment, what a joke.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The point is: it should have been ready. When they're advertising since December/January: 1.2--"the ranked PvP patch," introduces stat tracking, ranking for PvPers; "we understand PvPers need some sort of rating ladder," etc... I mean come on. Hell, I think they've claimed that this stuff has been in the works since even before the game launched--time and time again Bioware just shows how incompetent they are with handling new content. They either A) rush with bugs B) delay and still have bugs or C) lie for subs. It's almost trolling at this point; the only polished piece of content in the game is Karagga's Palace for christs sake.

They've been hyping up the ranked PvP for so long, we've gotten our teams together, we were all ready to go; and then they drop the A-Bomb a few hours before patch deployment, what a joke.

I can understand that it's very disappointing. When 1.2 was pushed back from March to April I was very disappointed, but if you had spent all this time getting your team together and they launched it in a half working state I think you would have been even more disappointed than having to wait a little longer for them to get it right.

Hopefully they get character transfers to PTS working soon so you and your friends can all test the system there.

Lain

I finished the class story with my Agent some time ago and I have to say that it was a disappointment. I mean, people hyped it up to be such a great storyline, but I feel it isn't at all. At the end of it all I could think was "that's it?". I'm just going to be an
undercover agent for the Republic now?
In a way the lamest thing was the speech in my ship. The best parts of the whole story for me where the stuff about Kaliyo's sidequests and the whole thing with Agent X (dude was so damn boss) on Nar (and afterwards). I tried to make a male character that looked like Agent X without success. I'd only play a male character if I could manage to make him look like Agent X.

I haven't finished the storyline for my Inquisitor Sorcerer yet, but in a way I like that one a bit more.

I leveled my BH Mercenary up to 24 and feel that she's a damn ass kicking machine (hope she stays that way after the patch), since I have been able to solo heroic content with ease.

My Sith Warrior Juggernaut instead is still 21 or 22 and I feel it is the weakest class I've played yet. To solo certain Heroic content I have had to use some really ridiculous tricks and even after getting the healer pet I can't do the same stuff I was able to pull off with my Mercenary.

I think you must be the one new to MMOs if you find TOR as a product and EAWares handling of it so far acceptable.

Also, if EAWare really had some sort of policy or standard or cared about unfinished, unpolished, or broken content not being released until it was ready then there would be no EV, half the flashpoints would be gone, Ilum would never have existed, etc. For some companies who have standards they hold their products too yes, they do hold back content that isn't ready. EAWare... not so much. Push it out to make a quick buck, hype it to keep interest, pull it and dangle that carrot some more.

That way people who must be new to MMOs fall for it. Apparently I'm replying to one of those people.

You have issues with "EAWare", good for you.

But this isn't the first time this stuff has happened with updates in a MMO.

I'll take it in the chin, as I said I don't give a fuck about pvp really nor was going to touch ranked play for quite some time. Bait and switch? I really doubt it since this is going to just hurt them in the eyes of the "hardcore" pvp players, they gain nothing by doing this. They hadn't actually done real testing of the ranked system till last week and through the weekend, they had to request people to play ranked play to get actual testing done. People on PTR were complaining about not having enough players for proper testing of the features as well, especially the lvl 50's. They should have tried to get testing done earlier instead of waiting a few days before release. Also didn't help that while they were doing this they had much of the team out to PAX instead of working on the update.

They are just hurting themselves here, pissing off a segment of the playerbase. Shows incompetence on their part at not having something ready that they been hyping up, but people acting like this is some kind of trick on their part is just silly.

I don't believe in any evil intent, I believe it's simply them making dumb decisions. Biggest being the large gap of nothing being added to the game in favor of doing it all in one giant update. They probably could have avoided alot of issues by slowly rolling out this stuff bit by bit instead of trying to jam it into one update, which also then meant they had to take their limited player testing group and have it quickly test so many different things.

Moaradin

I finished the class story with my Agent some time ago and I have to say that it was a disappointment. I mean, people hyped it up to be such a great storyline, but I feel it isn't at all. At the end of it all I could think was "that's it?". I'm just going to be an
undercover agent for the Republic now?
In a way the lamest thing was the speech in my ship. The best parts of the whole story for me where the stuff about Kaliyo's sidequests and the whole thing with Agent X (dude was so damn boss) on Nar (and afterwards). I tried to make a male character that looked like Agent X without success. I'd only play a male character if I could manage to make him look like Agent X.

I haven't finished the storyline for my Inquisitor Sorcerer yet, but in a way I like that one a bit more.

I leveled my BH Mercenary up to 24 and feel that she's a damn ass kicking machine (hope she stays that way after the patch), since I have been able to solo heroic content with ease.

My Sith Warrior Juggernaut instead is still 21 or 22 and I feel it is the weakest class I've played yet. To solo certain Heroic content I have had to use some really ridiculous tricks and even after getting the healer pet I can't do the same stuff I was able to pull off with my Mercenary.

The ending was a bit anti-climactic, but the IA storyline had great writing throughout the story. it actually has lots of potential for story for the future since they haven't wrapped everything up still.
Darth Jadus
is still lurking out there in space.

Wow, my SWTOR play time has dropped dramatically this past month and ranked PVP was what I was ready to jump back in for.

The novelty of Novare will keep me around for a bit, but I'm really not in the mood for the War Hero grind without ranked play.

arimanius

I don't believe in any evil intent, I believe it's simply them making dumb decisions. Biggest being the large gap of nothing being added to the game in favor of doing it all in one giant update. They probably could have avoided alot of issues by slowly rolling out this stuff bit by bit instead of trying to jam it into one update, which also then meant they had to take their limited player testing group and have it quickly test so many different things.

I don't think that's any better. Could actually be worse.

aett

So, I was one of the people who downloaded the early patch yesterday, which borked the game, requiring me to download a huge 11 gig download. Yesterday, Bioware said that after the maintenance, we wouldn't have to download the 11 gig file because the 1.2 patch we accidentally got would be activated or something, but they messed up, and it turns out that we DO have to download 11 gigs of old stuff we already have.

I even got up early this morning to play the game before my wife and toddler woke up so I wouldn't have to wait all day to check out 1.2. At least this gave me a head start on this huge download. :p

I don't think that's any better. Could actually be worse.

Well it's two very different things. I think it's clear they have made lot of silly mistakes and blunders that are just because of incompetence. Also all the miscommunications and corrections they make to one another shows alot of amatuer hour work. They have no doubt lost players due to their giant gap in content release, they can't repeat that again and their handling of 1.2 has shown how short sighted their plans can be. Now they got to be working on getting ranked pvp working when they got the next content update to work on as well? They have lot of players who wont come back for 1.2, but if they keep delaying things and makign these mistakes they will keep losing players.

Thankfully most of the guild I play with does not do hardcore pvp and lot of members who left have returned because of 1.2 . They need to keep the updates and content flowing on a more regular basis and this kind of mistakes can just delay things.

Miletius

If the main complaint was that it was further splitting the population of pvpers then all of this nonsense could have been avoided if they had enough people on each server to properly split the playerbase. I think they will probably wait until server transfers or mergers to introduce ranked pvp. That seems like the easiest solution.

If the main complaint was that it was further splitting the population of pvpers then all of this nonsense could have been avoided if they had enough people on each server to properly split the playerbase. I think they will probably wait until server transfers or mergers to introduce ranked pvp. That seems like the easiest solution.

Probably cross server pvp queues will help with such an issue, which they said is coming and we will see before mergers and server transfers happen it seems.

Miletius

Probably cross server pvp queues will help with such an issue, which they said is coming and we will see before mergers and server transfers happen it seems.

Ah yes, that would also be a logical place to introduce it -- good thinking! So, ranked pvp with cross server quenes. Hopefully it won't be that long to wait.

Draxal

I think pvp was rather shoehorned into this game, the biggest disasters in each patch so far have been pvp related and the people responsible for it are clearly the weakest link on the developmental team, Ilum was a disaster

1.1-Early Ilum nonsense
1.2-Hmmm, let's merge unranked and ranked q's. I'm glad they yanked it out at the last second, however the lack of communication of such was idiotic.

I think pvp was rather shoehorned into this game, the biggest disasters in each patch so far have been pvp related and the people responsible for it are clearly the weakest link on the developmental team, Ilum was a disaster

1.1-Early Ilum nonsense
1.2-Hmmm, let's merge unranked and ranked q's. I'm glad they yanked it out at the last second, however the lack of communication of such was idiotic.

Yea I think their handling of pvp is the worst so far and the most damning. Their pvp team has been a total mess.

Cystm

M9RDB.jpg

KePoW

Banned
Very happy with the patch so far!

-- Background Audio finally... so you can hear game sounds when in a different window/app
-- Got rid of the delay when opening the Character and Inventory screens!! That was annoying as hell.
-- New graphical options definitely help
-- Customizable UI of course, took forever but it works well

HBroward

Supposedly the social V and X items have been removed from the game, too bad if true. I was almost social X, I was looking forward to that.

And the dev posted in the sniper thread again:

I should have separated my thoughts more clearly. Maybe I can clear up some of the confusion.

For those testing their DPS against training dummies, be aware that, depending on your spec and gear, right now there is an issue that will cause training dummies to not be the accurate depiction of DPS that we want them to be. We're working on that.

For those testing their DPS in the new Ops, the simple response is that our tests show higher numbers. We aren't seeing a shortage in Sniper/Gunslinger DPS. To the contrary, we're seeing them hit our targets.

Lastly, in doing these tests, we exposed an issue in how we value weapon damage and defense, the result of which would increase weapon damage globally by a very small amount. When we change our assumptions, we want to apply the result to the live game to keep the many, many varieties of character builds all playing "with the same rules," with an eye on not upsetting balance too much. To put this into words relevant to this thread, Snipers and Gunslingers will see a small increase to weapon damage in a patch some undetermined time after 1.2, which in additional tests, caused them to hit and sometimes exceed our targets by a margin we're perfectly comfortable with.

To those asking about the issue with alacrity causing ticks of channeled attacks to drop, we're looking into it. Thanks very much for bringing that to our attention.

Aside from the sniper stuff, you mean to tell me they weren't aware of the alacrity bug yet? That is such a joke if true.

I think they realized that without cross server queues, ranked BGs are kinda useless.
It took them until the absolute last minute to realize something that anyone could have told them, before they even implemented the feature?

Actually, I don't understand how people are disappointed they cut this. It should have been entirely obvious that any competitive ladder doesn't work without enough people. Same server "ranked" was never going to work, ever.

HBroward

What is that red eye looking symbol above my name? i don't think it was there prior to 1.2.

Basically, with so many people potentially wearing other classes gear with the changes in this patch, they wanted a means to identify advanced classes quickly in pvp. You can disable it if you want.

Edit: Just saw this in the notes:

(Voidstar) The game now ends as soon as the Round 2 attacker's progress exceeds the progress made by the other team in Round 1.

(Voidstar) Players on the defending team are no longer placed on the speeder path if its duration would make them arrive late to the start of the match.

Edit2: A redditor posted the cheapest method to start maxing out your droid.

He likes Cultural Artifacts. Rank 1 Polished Meterorite (200 credits ea) and Rank 2 Dubrillion Lizard Egg (600 Credits ea) Available at your local compaion gift vendor.
Cheapest/fastest way to level him now that the 30 second cooldown is gone, is to buy the Polished Meterorites up to 6000 affection (167 Meterors and 33,400 credits ).

Affection 0000 - 2016 | 21 Meterors | 96 Rep per | 4,200 Credits
Affection 2017 - 4032 | 42 Meterors | 48 Rep per | 8,400 Credits
Affection 4033 - 6008 | 104 Meterors | 19 rep per | 20,800 Credits
Affection 6008 - 8000 | 105 Lizard Eggs | 19 rep per | 63,000 Credits

Hope this formatting looks better than it does typing it.

Top Bottom