• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Matchew

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm going to play as a Sith Assassin. Double blade lightsaber sounds nice.... Just started to download the game, this is going to take awhile.

Also I just want to quest in peace, should I go to a PvP or PvE server?

It actually boggles my brain that people post stuff like this. Go do the Goblin starter zone and tell me about how WoW lacks quest variety. SWTOR has variety in a vague sense of motivation behind why you're doing the quests, a tissue thin veneer to hide your real motivation: leveling and gearing your character. In WoW, you put on rocket boots and fly over a field of zombies and burn them to death, blow up a thousand foot tall tree with a giant bomb, explore tombs in Uldum with Indiana Jones, stealth around Redridge with John Rambo butchering orcs.

As long as we are conceding MMOs to be in the arena of single player storytelling, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a claim: WoW's open world phasing is the single greatest achievement in MMO development history. It makes the MMO experience almost immersive, aside from the fact that its a bit janky sometimes. It can have negative effects on group play, but group play in SWTOR is practically nonexistent, so that's OK. Phasing allows you to feel like the things that you are doing actually matter. It allows you to participate in events in places where it would otherwise be impossible for events to occur. Compared to walking through big green doorways, it is essentially completely seamless.

WoW has variety in what you actually see and do in your questing experience, not in the pre- and post-quest rundown. Yeah, it still has its fair share of kill X of Y quests, but the monotony is nicely broken up by quests where you actually do interesting things. On extremely rare occasions the writing of the story hits high notes in SWTOR, typically at the culmination of each act for your character, so 3 times across a hundred hours of playtime. The majority of it is pointless contextualization for mundane tasks that takes itself way too seriously.

WoW has a lot of quests whose writing actually makes me laugh out loud because its a running joke within itself. The Harrison Jones and Belloc Brightblade rivalry that persists throughout all of Uldum is a good example of this. When Jones blows himself up while hiding inside of a treasure chest, a wonderful little call back to that delightfully retarded scene in KotCS. When the Dragonmaw Warchief kicks the Horde emissary into a fire and yells "THIS IS DRAGONMAW!", when I kill a warlock for a quest titled "Throw it on the Ground" and break his soulstone while yelling "I'M NOT A PART OF THIS SYSTEM", I laugh and enjoy myself.

It contextualizes itself in a way that makes it a fun parody of pop culture rather than trying (and failing) to make me care about the mundane trivialities of a poorly fleshed out digital world. It has a sense of humor instead of the asinine faux-darkness that permeates most of the cheesy Sith questlines throughout SWTOR. I could go on and on about its shortcomings as a game and not an interactive story, but the fact of the matter is that SWTORs quests have no gameplay variety at all ever. Maybe only ~20% of WoW's quests offer something unique and different, but its still a fuck of a lot more than 0% of SWTORs.

The indiana jones shit ruined what would have otherwise been a decent zone in uldum

Heysoos

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm going to play as a Sith Assassin. Double blade lightsaber sounds nice.... Just started to download the guy, this is going to take awhile.

PVE

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm going to play as a Sith Assassin. Double blade lightsaber sounds nice.... Just started to download the guy, this is going to take awhile.

PVE, but you generally don't have to worry as there is almost no world pvp on most servers.

gatti-man

Supposedly a very hard class to play, getting a buff next patch tho.

My graphics card decided to blow up on me so I havent been on for like 3 days, need 2 more valor levels on Azura to hit 65 so hopefully i'll get my laptop running tomorrow and hammer them out.

I wouldn't say they are hard to play. Only time I would say that is if i was a clicker.

Tess3ract

Banned
COOL BRO. ME TOO.
But do you have this many?

ibxdDxmgG9CAVt.jpg

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
From the classes I've played (assassin, operative, marauder), the marauder is definitely the most difficult of the three; just because the rotation is slightly more complex and you always need to be using your defensive CDs/mezz/obfuscate constantly. Coming from WoW though, SWTOR classes feel a lot smoother in general, nothing is really "hard" to play for an experienced MMO player that can keybind. But the game-to-game skill pillars come in: positioning, game sense, reaction time, etc...

Annihilation marauders are very strong right now, but honestly, annihilation is getting nerfed next patch--no doubt about it. All 3 specs get the quality of life buffs (a little bit extra ravage--annihilation rarely relies on this and when it does, just the first two hits which will now give about 300ish more damage, interrupt/mezz 0 rage--a fix at best, obfuscate off the GCD is nice). Annihilation loses 80% predation and 100% force camo which are two very key talents. I use 100% force camo ALL the time, it's what allows me to come out of most fights while doing uber damage.

Carnage is a worthless spec on live that is getting a little bit of love (still think it's not going to be that great), and rage is a gimmick spec that is easily counterable by coordinated players, but absolutely destroys pugs or bad groups. So if anything, 1.2 just spreads out marauders among the 3 specs, which I believe is much better for the game; tired of seeing 100% annihilation marauders (the strong spec on live). So Post-1.2, Annihilation becomes the damage and only damage spec (counterable by dispels), Carnage becomes the utility spec (80% predation and roots) with the occasional burst, and rage becomes the guard/pubstomper spec. A good balance, no?

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm not selling them though, I'm giving them away.

OK, I'd love one, I considered buying one on ebay, but since they're only $10-$15 now I figured they would probably drop in price soon enough anyways once people get home from PAX, but if you're giving em away I'd love one!

Moaradin

How the hell do you get taun taun codes? From Pax East? Are those the same one that drop in-game in 1.2?

Pretty cool nonetheless. Now the next step is tauntaun mounts.

hlhbk

So I am playing through the training prologue for the jedi and it is my first character. I have been playing about 10 hours. Does the story really start to pickup once you get out of the training?

So I am playing through the training prologue for the jedi and it is my first character. I have been playing about 10 hours. Does the story really start to pickup once you get out of the training?

10 hours and your still on Tython? Should only take 2-4 hours to go through the first planet.

Consular story seems to stay pretty boring for some time. The Jedi Knight stuff gets better and better. Both start off boring compared to the other stories. Too much blah blah force blah blah you've heard this a million times in Star Wars stuff before. Once you get to the actual main plots they pick up and you start dealing with other characters instead of just listening to annoying Jedi masters.

Tess3ract

Banned
OK, I'd love one, I considered buying one on ebay, but since they're only $10-$15 now I figured they would probably drop in price soon enough anyways once people get home from PAX, but if you're giving em away I'd love one!
Well I'm giving them out to Starfleet Dental people first, because I told the dev I would, but if no one claims them soon then I'll just have to give up and give them here.

Anyways,

I talked to the class/combat dev personally about making the other classes have a range like sages for aoe heals, which would remove most of the complaints.

He's like, I want every class to be different, instead of all the same (which is fine, I understand that) but then he mentioned that sometimes different fights should benefit from bringing certain healers instead (Which I don't agree with). I mentioned that doesn't really work when you bring the same raid group every time, you're not going to bench someone just because you want to work on a nightmare mode boss and someone else is better suited, it should be if you have enough skill you should be able to tackle it with your normal setup.

Basically he was like, he'd rather nerf sages than fix or make the other classes more interesting, which wasn't what I wanted to hear at all. I suggested say like making the trooper's basic heal bounce to another player to help alleviate most of the aoe issues, and he goes off saying that "well that's the draw, sages are stationary for heals, and troopers and scoundrels are more mobile, you bring those for fights where you need more mobility" but I pointed out that sages don't really have to worry a lot about that, especially if you bring two, which when I played it's what we did.

He was kind of abrasive and I felt like he was talking down to me though, which I didn't really appreciate even though I was being extremely nice and civil.

Well I'm giving them out to Starfleet Dental people first, because I told the dev I would, but if no one claims them soon then I'll just have to give up and give them here.

Anyways,

I talked to the class/combat dev personally about making the other classes have a range like sages for aoe heals, which would remove most of the complaints.

He's like, I want every class to be different, instead of all the same (which is fine, I understand that) but then he mentioned that sometimes different fights should benefit from bringing certain healers instead (Which I don't agree with). I mentioned that doesn't really work when you bring the same raid group every time, you're not going to bench someone just because you want to work on a nightmare mode boss and someone else is better suited, it should be if you have enough skill you should be able to tackle it with your normal setup.

Basically he was like, he'd rather nerf sages than fix or make the other classes more interesting, which wasn't what I wanted to hear at all. I suggested say like making the trooper's basic heal bounce to another player to help alleviate most of the aoe issues, and he goes off saying that "well that's the draw, sages are stationary for heals, and troopers and scoundrels are more mobile, you bring those for fights where you need more mobility" but I pointed out that sages don't really have to worry a lot about that, especially if you bring two, which when I played it's what we did.

He was kind of abrasive and I felt like he was talking down to me though, which I didn't really appreciate even though I was being extremely nice and civil.

The whole bringing the same groups to raids will be alleviated once dual specs are in and players can switch builds depending on the fight they are going to be on. Making each class different is ideal really instead of trying to bring them into some form of parity, which is impossible since no one can ever agree to it unless everything is mirrored amongst all classes 100%, and it's something no MMO has really achieved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they come off as pissy acting though, always seemed that way in most of these types of events. You got to realize while you are being all nice, hes probably been spending hours having people coming up to him telling him the same stuff or differing opinions of how they want to see things done. Plus having to deal with it every day with folks on the forum arguing over the same things. They are not PR people, they almost surely don't even want to be there but are forced to.

But sages and such did need the nerfs anyways :p . They were best healers to take not only in PVE, but they just were OP in healing in PVP also. Rather not see the other healers brought up to be as crazy powerful as Sages and such were. Ops are going to be much improved now but the jury is still out on Trooper/mercs which have issues with how their aoe heal works, and the whole heat/ammo management problems we are going through.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Sentinel/Mar question:

As a Watchman spec Sentinel, what enhancement should I be focusing on? Crit+Surge or Power+Surge. Can't find a good answer online.
Crit to 25% and surge up to 70% and then Power with some Accuracy. If you took the skill that heals you on burn criticals, you'll really want the criticals. If you didn't take the skill that heals you on burn criticals... go back and take that skill.

arimanius

I get that feeling every time I read/listen to a QA or read a dev quote on their forums. Kinda like a father telling their kids that they know best and just accept it because it's for our own good.

I get that feeling every time I read/listen to a QA or read a dev quote on their forums. Kinda like a father telling their kids that they know best and just accept it because it's for our own good.

I don't see how they can win in such a situation, as any time they have a view on anything or give reasons for disagreeing with other opinions, people take it as if they are on some high horse being mean. People read into things as being mean or abrasive when it's simply a post detailing their own view on something. The other alternative is what?

It might be hard to get that from a post but I meant his tone of voice.

I can see that making more sense though I think it goes with what I was saying before. We've already heard that same response you got in person posted and talked of in other places.... how many times must they have gone and said this to folks? I have no doubt they would be pissed of repeating themselves. Wonder if he even really listened to much of what you said and was just on automatic response mode repeating the same thing we've heard several times already.

Kem0sabe

The whole bringing the same groups to raids will be alleviated once dual specs are in and players can switch builds depending on the fight they are going to be on. Making each class different is ideal really instead of trying to bring them into some form of parity, which is impossible since no one can ever agree to it unless everything is mirrored amongst all classes 100%, and it's something no MMO has really achieved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they come off as pissy acting though, always seemed that way in most of these types of events. You got to realize while you are being all nice, hes probably been spending hours having people coming up to him telling him the same stuff or differing opinions of how they want to see things done. Plus having to deal with it every day with folks on the forum arguing over the same things. They are not PR people, they almost surely don't even want to be there but are forced to.

But sages and such did need the nerfs anyways :p . They were best healers to take not only in PVE, but they just were OP in healing in PVP also. Rather not see the other healers brought up to be as crazy powerful as Sages and such were. Ops are going to be much improved now but the jury is still out on Trooper/mercs which have issues with how their aoe heal works, and the whole heat/ammo management problems we are going through.

I don´t get the logic of nerfing sages/sorcerers instead of buffing the other healer classes.

I played a sorcerer and the healing was spectacular, from what i seen and read of the smugler for example, the same flashpoints were a chaotic mess of procs and managing different resources just to be able to get by (barely).

Now everyone gets to have a bad time while playing.

Milly79

I think the Tauntaun at PAX is exclusive to PAX, meaning the one in game will be different (I hope, anyway).

My redemption page says this:

KCQK2.png

Is 1.2 adding pets? Or just the tauntaun? I'd really love to go around and just farm mobs for hours on end to make big bucks on the GTN.

gatti-man

Anyways,

If you give me one I will agree with whatever you say from now on.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I don´t get the logic of nerfing sages/sorcerers instead of buffing the other healer classes.
They have some sort of benchmark "performance" figure for every role and they have determined that the other classes are on target whereas the sage/sorceror is "over-performing". If they raised every other class to match the new benchmark, then they said they'd be bound to re-balance the end game and thereby make the game harder on everyone.

Personally, I think that's a ludicrous assertion, but that's their logic.

Draxal

I think the Tauntaun at PAX is exclusive to PAX, meaning the one in game will be different (I hope, anyway).

My redemption page says this:

KCQK2.png

Is 1.2 adding pets? Or just the tauntaun? I'd really love to go around and just farm mobs for hours on end to make big bucks on the GTN.

Not exclusive to PAX, but it will be exclusive to big gaming conventions. Another tauntaun will be available in the exclusive area (forgot which one though either just the ce / or ce/de).

There were already minipets in game.

I played a sorcerer and the healing was spectacular, from what i seen and read of the smugler for example, the same flashpoints were a chaotic mess of procs and managing different resources just to be able to get by (barely).

Now everyone gets to have a bad time while playing.

Ops/Scoundrels are getting buffed in 1.2 in their healing. Sages/Sorcs nerfs were expected. What didn't make much sense was the nerfing of trooper/merc healing (though they did slightly buff the aoe heal and are now getting a battle rez).

It's also hard to say how things will work out purely by looking at the classes in 1.2 patch notes because folks have to remember that stat allocation of end game gear was a mess and in 1.2 everyone will be getting more appropirate stat allocations which is going to have an affect in things and in some cases likely offset some of the nerfs.

Sec0nd

Doesn't this game have free week trial or something? Love to try this game out and I'm not going to buy it before I have tried it out.

arimanius

I don't see how they can win in such a situation, as any time they have a view on anything or give reasons for disagreeing with other opinions, people take it as if they are on some high horse being mean. People read into things as being mean or abrasive when it's simply a post detailing their own view on something. The other alternative is what?

You're right that they are in a tough spot. However some of the things they say just don't make any sense if you play the game. Another issue is they always use their internal metric as a reasoning behind a change. That's fine but if we don't know what the metric is it doesn't help us figure out why certain changes are happening. If players are seeing one thing in game and they are seeing something else then there's a disconnect that needs to be addressed.

Certain people will complain no matter what, but I think better communication with more hard data behind certain things would go along way IMO. Right now we just get a lot of PR speak using a hidden metric which does nothing but agitate people.

Edit* Sounds like I'm whining, but I really do like the game. I usually don't care enough to complain but I really would like to see this game grow and become a great game. I just think they have horrible communication and customer service so far. Otherwise I love the game for the most part and hopefully they will start adding features and content at a much faster pace after 1.2.

bjb

Banned

Anyways,

Which developer are you talking about specifically?

Because if it was Georg Zoeller - then that guy IS a prick.

Heysoos

So I'm really tired of running Voss. Currently a level 46 Sentinel. Has anyone relied on Ilum to gain the last one or two levels? I'm trying to find a good metric for how much I have to do before I can quit grinding around in Corellia and Voss and just finish off my leveling on Ilum. These last 2 planets are just annoying.

gatti-man

So I'm really tired of running Voss. Currently a level 46 Sentinel. Has anyone relied on Ilum to gain the last one or two levels? I'm trying to find a good metric for how much I have to do before I can quit grinding around in Corellia and Voss and just finish off my leveling on Ilum. These last 2 planets are just annoying.

pvp and do space missions if your bored or just chill in a rest zone and take two days off.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

EDIT: NM, I misread your post. Ignore.

Effect

As long as we are conceding MMOs to be in the arena of single player storytelling, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a claim: WoW's open world phasing is the single greatest achievement in MMO development history. It makes the MMO experience almost immersive, aside from the fact that its a bit janky sometimes. It can have negative effects on group play, but group play in SWTOR is practically nonexistent, so that's OK. Phasing allows you to feel like the things that you are doing actually matter. It allows you to participate in events in places where it would otherwise be impossible for events to occur. Compared to walking through big green doorways, it is essentially completely seamless.

Indeed it is. If there was ever anything that would be the main draw to get me back into WoW it would be that. That alone allowed me to stick with WoW for several months once I got that expansion and was able to take advantage of it. When you have a game that is heavily story focused a system like that is needed. More MMOs need to us it. I don't even care if they have to license the tech from Blizzard. Or just instance everything outside of population hubs. World changes need to happen on some level. The only time this isn't needed is if you are just having a focus on grinding and story is just something in the background that can largely be ignored.

I think I'm going to be giving TOR one more month. Up to level 39 on my Jedi Sage and 19 on my Commando. Fun but getting bored. The need to have to do missions outside of the class missions are starting to take their toll on me. They simply aren't that interesting anymore. They are all kill task or collection missions but a decent or at least interesting story can make that tolerable but that's stop being the case around Tatooine. PvP is really hit or miss depending on which character I play and there aren't enough space battles to level that way. I really do miss Jump to Lightspeed in Star Wars Galaxies the more I do these space battles in ToR. Such a poor replacement. I do want to at least finish the Jedi Sage story. I just started chapter 3 so here's hoping I can finish it before the end of the month. Going have to force myself through some of this side missions though.

Indeed it is. If there was ever anything that would be the main draw to get me back into WoW it would be that. That alone allowed me to stick with WoW for several months once I got that expansion and was able to take advantage of it. When you have a game that is heavily story focused a system like that is needed. More MMOs need to us it. I don't even care if they have to license the tech from Blizzard. Or just instance everything outside of population hubs. World changes need to happen on some level. The only time this isn't needed is if you are just having a focus on grinding and story is just something in the background that can largely be ignored.

I think I'm going to be giving TOR one more month. Up to level 39 on my Jedi Sage and 19 on my Commando. Fun but getting bored. The need to have to do missions outside of the class missions are starting to take their toll on me. They simply aren't that interesting anymore. They are all kill task or collection missions but a decent or at least interesting story can make that tolerable but that's stop being the case around Tatooine. PvP is really hit or miss depending on which character I play and there aren't enough space battles to level that way. I really do miss Jump to Lightspeed in Star Wars Galaxies the more I do these space battles in ToR. Such a poor replacement. I do want to at least finish the Jedi Sage story. I just started chapter 3 so here's hoping I can finish it before the end of the month. Going have to force myself through some of this side missions though.

Are you doing group content? Heroics, Flashpoints? They really give alot of good xp and help skip through side questing while generally more fun than solo play.

Effect

Are you doing group content? Heroics, Flashpoints? They really give alot of good xp and help skip through side questing while generally more fun than solo play.

I've done handful of heroics and at least one flashpoint between my characters. Heroics have been a bad experience in general. Others just rushing through them when I'm in one for the first time. The last one I did was just like that and things were being rushed through so fast I didn't even manage to complete as some just dropped as soon as they got credit for what was needed while I was respawning from being killed. The Flashpoint only went well because it was the first one and it was just another person and myself. We could only move through it so fast. Now this just could be lower level issues but they kinda soured me on doing that type of content.

aett

I have the same problem with Flashpoints. I've only done a handful of them, so I would ideally like to experience the stories on my first time through, but everyone (especially my guild) just wants to spacebar through. I've been in groups where people have been kicked because they didn't rush through the dialogue.

I can't entirely blame them; I don't want to sit through it every time, but once would be nice.

Top Bottom