• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze moves to next-gen

Elios83

Link

Can't wait to see what Magnus Högdahl (the main programmer behind the mighty Chronicles of Riddick) can achieve on a next generation engine. PlayStation 3 seems will be supported by them as well...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yes, Magnus Högdahl (aka Mr H) is a great programmer. I'd put him almost on par with Carmack when it comes to 3D engines. I still remember how he achieved a software Z-Buffer back in the 486 days in the Cristal Dream 2 demo, great stuff.

snapty00

Banned
It'll be interesting to see what they can do with Xbox 2 and PlayStation 3. It's probably good that they're jumping on-board now so that they can have finished projects by the end of 2006 (if not before then).

WordofGod

Banned
snapty00 said:
It'll be interesting to see what they can do with Xbox 2 and PlayStation 3. It's probably good that they're jumping on-board now so that they can have finished projects by the end of 2006 (if not before then).

I fixed it for you:

It'll be interesting to see what they can do with Xbox 2, Revolution, and PlayStation 3. It's probably good that they're jumping on-board now so that they can have finished projects by the end of 2006 (if not before then).

snapty00

Banned
WordofGod said:
I fixed it for you:

It'll be interesting to see what they can do with Xbox 2, Revolution, and PlayStation 3. It's probably good that they're jumping on-board now so that they can have finished projects by the end of 2006 (if not before then).
???

What does Revolution have to do with this at all?

snapty00

Banned
WordofGod said:
It is a next gen system that is all.
Uh, try reading the article: "Confirmation that Starbreeze are beginning work on the next-generation of consoles came today, with the announcement that the Swedish based developer is posting positions for two engine programmers to transfer their Starbreeze engine over to Xbox2 and PlayStation3."

WordofGod

Banned
snapty00 said:
Uh, try reading the article: "Confirmation that Starbreeze are beginning work on the next-generation of consoles came today, with the announcement that the Swedish based developer is posting positions for two engine programmers to transfer their Starbreeze engine over to Xbox2 and PlayStation3."

My bad. At this rate Nintendo Revolution will not get any 3rd party games again.

WordofGod said:
My bad. At this rate Nintendo Revolution will not get any 3rd party games again.

I'm not sure Nintendo really cares. And the rate at which third parties are disolving/being swallowed up, there's gonna be a time when there's only a couple publishers per platform for all systems:(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Shompola said:
yah considering it ran good on my friends 386 with Tseng graphics cardcard.
Tseng ET4000 was the king these days. I remember all these weird ModeX resolution these guys used that would or would not work. I also remember how one demo (by tran/renaissance) used such a weird mode it instantly killed my monitor.

Chrono

Banned
If developers are moving projects to nex-gen, then shouldn't we have an idea of the specs for next-gen consoles? I’m sure those developers know and if they do then some leaks must happen.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Blimblim said:
There will be no enclave 2, ever. At least not from Starbreeze.

iirc, Starbreeze was able to re-obtain the rights to enclave.

not 100% sure but that's what i remember

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
All I know is I owned a 486dx/33 and:

- Crystal Dream ran lovely, of course
- Second Reality ran perfectly
- Every other demo up to 1994 ran just fine
- Crystal Dream II ran like crap and came with a snippy text file where Triton talked about how they only make demos for the latest computers.

Funk dat!

I guess Mr. H has reconciled his ways, though, because Riddick is fab!

anylinks to these demos or an archive site?

I swear we should start a pc era timeline chronicling the engines/demos/mods and coding breakthrus of the last 20 years

snapty00

Banned
My 486 25 MHz machine didn't really have a video card. It had 512 KB of video RAM, which allowed 256 colors on-screen at 640x480, but I couldn't even really use that because I lost the proper video driver to my card, so I was stuck with 16 colors at 640x480 or 800x600. At least in Windows. In DOS programs, I could often use the "full potential" of my integrated video.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ZombieSupaStar said:
anylinks to these demos or an archive site?

I swear we should start a pc era timeline chronicling the engines/demos/mods and coding breakthrus of the last 20 years
Crystal Dream 2 :
http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/triton/cd2-trn.zip
The over great second reality :
File 1 : http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/future_crew/demos/2ndreal1.zip&fileinfo
File 2 : http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/future_crew/demos/2ndreal2.zip&fileinfo

Brofist

WordofGod said:

that's pretty much a no brainer. I wouldn't even expect the 1 or 2 exclusives such as RE next gen either, unless the Capcom execs haven't kicked their crack habit yet.

Top Bottom