• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft 2 going free to play (WOL campaign, ALL multiplayer)

DogDude

Huge news

Hello and welcome to the Koprulu Sector!

We recognize that you might have found your way here after hearing the news that StarCraft II is going free-to-play very soon—on November 14, to be exact. Curious what that actually means? We know “free-to-play” can mean a lot of things for different games, but we’re here to assure you that when we say that we’re making StarCraft II free-to-play, we really mean it.

Starting November 14, you’ll have free access to the original Wings of Liberty single-player campaign and every Co-op Commander, and will be able to unlock access to StarCraft II’s competitive multiplayer content for free. Here is a specific rundown of everything that will be available to you for free:

The original Wings of Liberty campaign. Experience the original epic campaign that kicked off the StarCraft II saga! If you picked up Wings of Liberty previously but haven’t come back to StarCraft II in a while, we’ve got good news for you too—if you already own Wings of Liberty, you’ll receive the second installment in StarCraft II’s campaign, the zerg-focused Heart of the Swarm, for free. Make sure to log in between November 8 and December 8 to claim it.
You will be able to access the ranked multiplayer ladder to compete with other players to become the best of the best, complete with all of the multiplayer units from Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm, and Legacy of the Void. All you have to do to unlock it permanently is earn 10 First Wins of the Day in Unranked or Versus A.I. play—our way to preserve the quality and integrity of the ranked experience.
Current and upcoming Co-op Commanders are available to play for free up to level five, and the level restriction for weekly mutations has been removed. You’ll be able to tackle these extra challenging missions with your friends right away. The Co-op Commanders Raynor, Kerrigan, and Artanis will remain completely free, meaning that you can keep leveling them to your heart’s content.

In other words, you can now play all of StarCraft II’s multiplayer, every Co-op Commander, and the entire first campaign in the single-player story, for free.

If you play through Wings of Liberty and want to see how the rest of the epic single-player saga unfolds, all the other single-player campaigns—Heart of the Swarm, Legacy of the Void, and Nova Covert Ops will be available to purchase individually for $14.99 or as a bundle for $39.99. We will also continue to offer premium upgrades like announcer packs, special skins, and new Co-op Commanders to enhance your StarCraft II experience in a number of different ways. As with the existing line-up of Co-op Commanders, however, you will be able to play upcoming new Co-op Commanders who are released for free until they reach level 5. You can also purchase any of the campaigns or a seasonal War Chest to gain immediate access to ranked play if you desire.

For those of you who have already purchased any of the three campaigns as of October 31, we’ll soon be sending you a small thank-you in the form of an exclusive Ghost skin as well as three new portraits.

LakeEarth

This is really cool of them. The WoL campaign was actually a ton of fun, despite it's simplistic and overall shitty story. The mission where you constantly have to move your base because a wave of fire was approaching was clever.

And just to point it out from the big wall of text, if you have Wings of Liberty, you can get Heart of the Swarm for free instead. Neat.

Werd

Great! I have been playing it on and off since shortly after launch, it was still very playable online population but will be nice to have more people online when I pick it up again.

Its had various kind of sort of free to play mechanics for years but losing the limitations should help. Especially WoL campaign.

Will likely increase smurfs/cheating, but eh.. worth it at this point.

Wow, I've always wanted to try Starcraft, but could never justify buying it when I know none of my friends are even remotely interested in the genre.

Pretty hyped

Niice definately getting this to play like 3 vs 3 online MP because I would just get ripped apart in 1 vs 1

When is it going to be free?

SRTtoZ

Wow cool. I own all of them but if someone hasn't they should give it a try. You won't find the best storytelling or writing in general but overall they are super entertaining with tremendous presentation and polish.

Luq

That was the only reasonable thing they could do to boost game's popularity. Good choice, I expect heavy influx of unit skins (I know, they are already there) and lootbox system.

Harlock

A few years late, but hope that give the game a bump.

Starcraft 2 still the king of e-sport to watch. Being 1v1, with military units, makes a better experience from the spectator view.

I shake my head everytime they try put League of Legends or Dota2 on ESPN. Is impossible to people who dont play the game understand anything. While a SC2, with good casting, is more appropriate.

Cool, I bought Wings of Liberty at launch, so I'm looking forward to trying the Heart of the Swarm freebie.

Alas, I might want to invest in a cooling mat. I play it on a 2015 Retina MacBook (Core-M, fanless) and while performance is fine, StarCraft II tends to make it run pretty hot.

ZeroX03

Banned
Everyone should try it. That's a pretty huge offering. Should lead to a big influx of players, hopefully they curb ​harassment.

It's OK as an RTS game but failed as part of the franchise (especially the multiplayer).

What do you even mean? I think it's ridiculous to say the multiplayer failed the franchise. It did amazingly well. Just because it isn't broodwar levels of brutal, doesn't make it a failure. Until someone else puts out an RTS in this day an age that can do half as much as SC2 has done in terms of MP/esports I don't think you can say it was a failure.

SC2 is an exceptional RTS pretty much every regard. Especially the WoL campaign.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
A few years late, but hope that give the game a bump.

Starcraft 2 still the king of e-sport to watch. Being 1v1, with military units, makes a better experience from the spectator view.

I shake my head everytime they try put League of Legends or Dota2 on ESPN. Is impossible to people who dont play the game understand anything. While a SC2, with good casting, is more appropriate.

I think most games require at least some knowledge of the game to fully appreciate what's going on in competitive play. I remember watching marine king counter banelings with... MARINES. You wouldn't know just how insane that is unless you've had relevant experience. Anyhow, I haven't played sc2 in a good long while. Maybe I'll get back to it for a little bit.

Jezan

Never played Starcraft in my life. I loved Warcraft 2 and 3. Will this be fun for me?
The first StarCraft was (is?) also free, I think it was back in April when they announced it, so maybe you can try it. There was also a remaster if you can't stand the old graphics.

Lucumo

What do you even mean? I think it's ridiculous to say the multiplayer failed the franchise. It did amazingly well. Just because it isn't broodwar levels of brutal, doesn't make it a failure. Until someone else puts out an RTS in this day an age that can do half as much as SC2 has done in terms of MP/esports I don't think you can say it was a failure.

SC2 is an exceptional RTS pretty much every regard. Especially the WoL campaign.
It did. It's not good at all and did as well as it did because of Brood War. Blizzard sued Kespa in South Korea to tear Brood War down and have Starcraft 2 succeed. They did well, considering sponsors stopped investing into the scene. When SC2 hit, the teams had to switch to the new game (because of sponsors) and most didn't like it. But considering they got their salary from those teams, they couldn't just stop. They dropped out one after another over time when they had the chance (back to BW or completely out) but that was all. The international scene fared a bit better but also not good. It was going well for a while (since there was nothing to fall back on...since they pretty much disbanded all the BW scenes and most WC3 scenes) but interest obviously died, especially when Blizzard stopped pumping (and thus artificially keeping alive) huge amounts of money into the scene (they did so in South Korea as well).

Also, it's not hard to be the best modern RTS around when you have absolutely no competitors (ignoring more tactical RTS games here).

Nasigil

Neo Member
The best RTS campaign out there despite the really cliche and cheesy writing. Who plays SC2 for story anyway.

And as long as you don't go on ladder to play competitive multiplayer, the gameplay mechanics are really fun in the campaign.

Highly recommend everyone to give it a try.

As somebody who already owns the trilogy, being able to demo to all of the co-op commanders yet I haven't purchased is going to be pretty sweet.

And I'll add to the chorus that the campaign is a lot of fun, though it's hard to downplay just how bad the writing is. The mission design tends to be top notch, and that's ultimately what matters here, but few game stories have managed to make people so deservedly angry.

tr00per

This is very interesting. I will be having a LAN party in a few weeks. Would I be able to install this on the computers and play LAN games?

llien

Great stuff, unless Blizzard decides to sell stuff which has impact on ladder multiplayer (which they are quite unlikely to do)

I still enjoy occasional SC2 multiplayer games.
And regularly watch pro-s play (sc2casts.done by Artosis and/or tasteless)

KLoWn

Easily the best RTS campaign around imo.

If you haven't tried SC2 you really should check it out.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Even if you aren't into it for hardcore MP, the campaigns are good fun with different challenges that make them replayable.

Top Bottom