• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I shit you not, within 3 minutes of starting the game Raynor says to Kerrigan "Don't you give up on us Sarah. 'Cuz I never gave up on you," as the door dramatically closes.

Funny. I remember Raynor saying near the end of Brood War, after Kerrigan betrayed her "allies", and i quote : "I'm the man who's gonna kill you someday."

Or something like that.

duckroll

I did that, but all it did was optimize my game files. How do I make it download the HOTS content?

It probably already did. That's what I mentioned earlier about how confusing this could be for people used to regular game expansions. SC2 seems to be coded like a MMO, so it's just constantly updated to support all the latest content, and the only thing which defines that you are allowed to play the extra content is the license on your account.

Danj

If you went through a 6,2gb patch, you can start playing HOTS.
If you did not, you cant click PLAY button, but have to continue patching.

So start again and see if you can click on play. If you can, you are ready.

Wait until its done optimizing -- although, it's possible if you've played SCII a lot recently that you already have the data and don't need to do anything except the optimization.

PLAY seems to be clickable, I tried clicking it and it looked like the game was loading (though as I'm logged in via LogMeIn I can't see the game screen, all that happens is the cursor changes and the window goes black). So I guess that means I'm OK then? I guess I'll see when I get home.

Lime

SC2 is not really much cheesier than SC1, which is basically a WH40k Black Library novel made into a game. Cheese that's dark and broody and filled with blood and betrayal is harder to notice. It's also, to me and I suspect a lot of the general gaming demographic, more entertaining than cheese that's filled with noble heroes, misunderstood villains and the ultimate triumph of good over evil just in time for the end credits.

I don't know, I thought the moral ambuiguity of the character actions and political backstabbing in SC1/BW made it that much more interesting than the Drunkard looking for Damsel-in-Distress MacGuffin we got in SC2. Maybe the smaller budget and less amount of cutscenes in SC1 veiled the cheesy writing, but I would definitely say that SC1's character and plot were much better thanks to their complexity than SC2's Saturday morning cartoon simplicity.

There's also the issue of changing up the theme and entire tone of the series from SC1->SC2.

Boy I sure don't give a shit about Starcraft lore or the story in these games. Blizzard is hamming it up as hard as possible right out of the gate.

I shit you not, within 3 minutes of starting the game Raynor says to Kerrigan "Don't you give up on us Sarah. 'Cuz I never gave up on you," as the door dramatically closes. 6:5 odds that at some point Raynor says, with zero irony, something about becoming a monster as a result of fighting one

:lol

goddamn multiplayer 1v1 is so fun right now. there aren't a million assholes stealing korean builds and people are actually doing something in the first 5 minutes. and as a terran player, i have a bunch of new early game raiding options that make it even more fun to play the race.

K I'm going Terran.

Also, I'm excited we got a GAF clan. I'll toss my info for invite when I get home.

BearPawB

Banned
Seeing as how most people who play Blizzard games don't touch other games in the genre, it's understandable that you would be completely and utterly wrong.

I play a lot of these types of games. I can't name another major character in any of them outside of the obvious command and conquer characters. Who are also poorly written

duckroll

SC2 is not really much cheesier than SC1, which is basically a WH40k Black Library novel made into a game. Cheese that's dark and broody and filled with blood and betrayal is harder to notice. It's also, to me and I suspect a lot of the general gaming demographic, more entertaining than cheese that's filled with noble heroes, misunderstood villains and the ultimate triumph of good over evil just in time for the end credits.

I don't think the cheese is the main issue here, it's the way the cheese is handled, and what it says about the target audience. Machete is a fucking cheesy movie. So is Twilight. But there are clear reasons why they're not enjoyed by the same audience. If the sequel to Machete turned into something like Twilight, it would be panned for it by the people who enjoyed the original, even if technically if we're talking about "cheesiness" in general, both are pretty cheesy shows.

goddamn multiplayer 1v1 is so fun right now. there aren't a million assholes stealing korean builds and people are actually doing something in the first 5 minutes. and as a terran player, i have a bunch of new early game raiding options that make it even more fun to play the race.

I'm going to be destroyed. Maybe I should wait a little while to do placement matches.

Miker

I play a lot of these types of games. I can't name another major character in any of them outside of the obvious command and conquer characters. Who are also poorly written

I think Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising especially had likeable archetypes, if not necessarily interesting characters. It was the good kind of over-the-top.

Zzoram

Boy I sure don't give a shit about Starcraft lore or the story in these games. Blizzard is hamming it up as hard as possible right out of the gate.

I shit you not, within 3 minutes of starting the game Raynor says to Kerrigan "Don't you give up on us Sarah. 'Cuz I never gave up on you," as the door dramatically closes. 6:5 odds that at some point Raynor says, with zero irony, something about becoming a monster as a result of fighting one

The worst part about that is that they were never a couple. They flirted a bit in Starcraft 1, that's all. Now apparently they're long lost lovers.

7Th

The next few days are going to be the best possible time to do your placements. There will never be more beginners playing SC2.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was thinking the stronger players will jump into MP and the weaker players will spend sometime in SP but with the sudden surge in population, that probably won't impact the skill level as much as just having a lot more new players playing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The worst part about that is that they were never a couple. They flirted a bit in Starcraft 1, that's all. Now apparently they're long lost lovers.

Flashpoint elaborates their relationship a bit. They had a date and some sexytimes. Admittedly the book was authored after WoL though.

antitrop

Seriously regretting choosing free shipping.
I'm right there with you, bro. I did the same thing for Wings of Liberty and Diablo III as I did for Heart of the Swarm.
CE day 1 free shipping from Amazon. The wait is unbearable, but Blizz makes such nice CE's that the 1/2 day wait over buying digitally is worth it.

I'll be playing in a few hours, I just woke up and I'm still having a cup of coffee, I'm in no hurry.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck it

Let's get this show on the road!

Zzoram

So getting all the objectives and achievements on the first mission on brutal is taking me more tries than I expected lolol

It always says 1/3 factories destroyed even when I destroy all 3 before the Eradicator.

WHYYYYY

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
guys

stop bashing metzen

ok?

antitrop

guys

stop bashing metzen

ok?

4RFLpNE.jpg

Volodja

Went Collector's Edition hunting and found the last one available at the store.
Yay.
Installing right now.
Looking forward to never actually playing it!

Aaron

I'm so out of practice in this game I'm doing the training. The initial slow speed is killing me, but I'm starting to remember stuff it hasn't even told me yet.

Mrbob

See, I definitely remember the WoL campaign being really fun, and really cool to play. Something about HotS's campaign isn't impressing me in the same way yet, and after Diablo 3, I'm starting to question whether I imagined WoL's campaign quality. >_<

I think one thing which annoys me about the HotS missions so far is that I feel they basically tell you exactly how to play them, with voice overs and highlights on the screen and so on, and as long as you follow exactly what is said, you basically can't lose. It feels like autogaming and I hate that. It also feels like I'm just interacting with a storybook, rather than playing a game with actual options. Most of the time I don't see any variation in terms of strategy.

Played about 7 missions so far. I'm actually looking forward to replaying some of the previous missions for missed achievements because they sound more challenging than the actual mission objections (including the bonus objectives which I always get). I'm not even looking for a hard game here, since I'm not that good with RTS games anyway, I just don't want to feel like I'm following exact instructions all the time.

I recently replayed WoL before HoTS and while I enjoyed the missions, there is a lot of hand holding and guiding going on. It's near impossible to lose a mission unless you stop paying attention to certain mission ending objectives.

I'm playing the campaign too. Missions are awesome but everything is too cheesy and cliche.

Sounds like WoL. :p

Lime

guys

stop bashing metzen

ok?

Sorry, Yoshi, it's just so hard when he's so bad at writing and is somehow the vice-president of one of the biggest game developers *and* has the luxury of writing for the only AAA PC RTS game left. Much more competent and talented people could do a much better job if given the same chance.

wow-the-mag-3-metzenpwu8q.jpg

That quote basically tells me that he uses the same idea and premise in Blizzard's 3 major IPs.

duckroll

Here's an example of a problem I have with the mission design so far in HotS. I will be using the final Kaldin mission (the third one I think) as an example here, so if you haven't played it, don't highlight the spoilers. This is the mission set on the Protoss ship.

On paper, this should be an extremely fun and unique mission since you are controlling a unit which can infest other units and in the beginning your objectives are presented as "evade the Protoss" and "gain biomass". Near the start of the mission, there appears to be a sort of "tutorial" about what you can do as a tiny brood unit. You can hide by infesting a lifeform sample, and you can hide in air vents.

But... after this, instead of letting the player go through a number of similar challenges on their own armed with this information, the mechanic is dropped completely. Instead you evolve into a Brood Mother, and then the rest of the game is basically moving around with an invincible brood of units you can respawn endlessly. It feels really disappointing because the only unique thing about the mission was in the heavily scripted tutorial-stuff at the start, and beyond that it turns into a click-to-win scenario.

Why not design the mission around sneaking around as a tiny unit and avoiding more Protoss units until you can get further into the ship and then evolve? Why not present the player with more scenarios where we can figure out solutions ourselves? Any point in the mission where something different needs to be done, the game just tells you exactly what it is and highlights the location for you. Where's the fun in that?

FACE

Banned
Sorry, Yoshi, it's just so hard when he's so bad at writing and is somehow the vice-president of one of the biggest game developers *and* has the luxury of writing for the only AAA PC RTS game left. Much more competent and talented people could do a much better job if given the same chance.

That quote basically tells me that he uses the same idea and premise in Blizzard's 3 major IPs.

Company of Heroes 2 still exists.

Yoshichan

holy dialogue batman

i'm getting goosebumps

Jinaar

Dawn of War II Retribution had great writing in my opinion. Imperial Guard one especially :)

WoL was absolute shit writing. And the audacity to use the name "General 'Horace' Warfield", F me up three ways from Sunday, does this guy have no shame.

Regardless, the game play was a ton of fun and right now playing more WoL just to get better and a few more achievements. Single player story is really poor. And yet I play Blizzard games for the story. I feel dumb.

Dawn of War II Retribution had great writing in my opinion. Imperial Guard one especially :)

WoL was absolute shit writing. And the audacity to use the name "General 'Horace' Warfield", F me up three ways from Sunday, does this guy have no shame.

Regardless, the game play was a ton of fun and right now playing more WoL just to get better and a few more achievements. Single player story is really poor. And yet I play Blizzard games for the story. I feel dumb.

Warcraft 3 was the last good story a blizzard game had (it is my favorite game story ever). Though some WoW plot lines were alright as well.

cdyhybrid

I only got to the ice moon with the flash freezes before I had to go to bed. The writing is so cheesy but I can deal with it :p Enjoying it so far but now I'm stuck at work :(

J2d

Love the mothership core, faced an early pool and even if I can handle it with a zealot and pulling probes I still usually lose too much mining time but not anymore, fuck your cheese!

Xamdou

Really enjoying it thus far, just finished my first planet (the ice one) and the missions are varied enough to make it interesting. I actually like the viewpoint of Kerrigan and the Zerg mission designs a whole lot more than WOL, She's out for vengeance and we are all there to experience it. Kerrigan reminds me of Daenerys Targaryan, she is taking back what is hers with fire and blood ;)!

Top Bottom