• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

duckroll

Campaign question: is there any carry-over from your choices in the first campaign? I can't really see how those would impact the HotS storyline, but someone mentioned it earlier.

I think there might be but I can't confirm for sure.
There's an early cutscene in HotS where Jim and Nova have a conversation, and in my game it acknowledged that I helped her in WoL.

Keikaku

Campaign question: is there any carry-over from your choices in the first campaign? I can't really see how those would impact the HotS storyline, but someone mentioned it earlier.
There has been one point so far (I'm 11 missions in) where it mattered though to what degree, I couldn't say. It's the same point that you mentioned.

Honestly, it's probably so minor that it doesn't matter as I get the feeling they did the same thing as in WoL where whatever choice the player makes is cast in the best possible light to drive the plot forward.

Morokh

Just installed WoL on my new computer, and ... one would think that with B.net there would be some kind of cloud save or something , but NO seems I'll have to copy my save file over manually .... (seriously .....)

Does anyone know what files do matter to copy my save ?

I was able to walk into my local GameStop this morning and pick up their only unreserved copy of the HotS LE. Stoked, will look good next to my WoL LE on the book shelf. I'll go back and finish the WoL campaign once I wrap up Tomb Raider, then move on to HotS.

I hadn't booted up SC2 sincerest may and was surprised at the additions made to game as read through the patch notes last night. Arcade sounds awesome. Maybe I'll finally try MP as well.

Just installed WoL on my new computer, and ... one would think that with B.net there would be some kind of cloud save or something , but NO seems I'll have to copy my save file over manually .... (seriously .....)

Does anyone know what files do matter to copy my save ?

Huh, I remember B.net saving a checkpoint file everytime you completed a WoL campaign mission. I was able to switch between my Mac & PC this way in 2010. Maybe I'm mistaken?

cdyhybrid

Anyone else find it really weird that the Zerg talk to you in English like a regular person would? I get that it would be hard to tell a story with Kerrigan being the only speaking character (unless they brought in cerebrates or the Overmind again) but it just seems weird to me :p

Morokh

Huh, I remember B.net saving a checkpoint file everytime you completed a WoL campaign mission. I was able to switch between my Mac & PC this way in 2010. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Achievements are gone too, and seems copying the entire save folder from my old computer won't do it ...

love that xD .....

Mrbob

I wonder if there is any possible swerve left where the Queen of Blades goes back to the mass killer that she is ( Haven't started HoTS yet ).

Redemption story, whatever, it's alright I guess. But I don't know why it is needed in this series. I guess Draft summed it up nicely.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anyone else find it really weird that the Zerg talk to you in English like a regular person would? I get that it would be hard to tell a story with Kerrigan being the only speaking character (unless they brought in cerebrates or the Overmind again) but it just seems weird to me :p

Not any weirder then however the fuck human/protoss communication works.

Tacitus_

I wonder if there is any possible swerve left where the Queen of Blades goes back to the mass killer that she is ( Haven't started HoTS yet ).

Redemption story, whatever, it's alright I guess. But I don't know why it is needed in this series. I guess Draft summed it up nicely.

Well,
yes, but only as much as any human with so much rage bottled up inside them, she's not the same as she was before getting zapped with the artifact

aren't the protoss basically 'speaking' into their minds?

Yup. Some humans can understand it naturally, mainly psionics and important characters. The Project Blackstone website had a bit where one of the scientists complained about hearing a protoss cry out after being vivisected while the other scientist tells him that protoss can't yell.

ZealousD

aren't the protoss basically 'speaking' into their minds?

Something like that? The universe isn't consistent with how humans are supposed to understand the psychic "speech" of the Protoss. Also there's the whole fact that they have their own language, even though a psychic link wouldn't need one. Or how about how Jim knows how the words "en taro" and how something like that doesn't get translated. All sorts of weirdness.

ZealousD

Most Zerg units, if not all, in SC1 didn't speak English. It was just animal/bug noises.

Except for the cool Overmind or whatever.

The cerebrates spoke too. I mean it's not like we're dealing with talking hydras are we?

calder

Like in any movie/tv show or what have you, it's not that the queens are speaking English but that, since you are watching through Kerrigan, you understand Zerg and hear it as English or whatever human language your game is set to.

cdyhybrid

Like in any movie/tv show or what have you, it's not that the queens are speaking English but that, since you are watching through Kerrigan, you understand Zerg and hear it as English or whatever human language your game is set to.

I get that, it just throws me off a little.

ZealousD

Somebody please tell me we don't have talking hydras.

After thinking for a second I wouldn't put it past Metzen.

Bizazedo

This isn't a thread for spoilers, but some of the "inconsistency" of Kerrigan from Brood War to this concerning Mengsk can simply be explained that she's not the Queen of Blades anymore.

No idea if she reverts, just addressing that one point.

Raynor is more..broken..in his change, but due to how long it's been and all the new people playing, regressing and then repeating the Brood War arc for him over all three games wouldn't be surprising,

It's kind of like how at the end of WoL, people were like KERRIGAN WAS RESCUED? WTF.

If they meant for her to stay like that, they wouldn't have done it at the end of game one.

(Again, speculation, but come on, it's not how you write love stories, they don't get back together at the end of book one).

cdyhybrid

Somebody please tell me we don't have talking hydras.

After thinking for a second I wouldn't put it past Metzen.

I'm only like 30 minutes in, but the only units that have talked to me so far are Queens and the things you interact with in between missions to upgrade units, etc.

Which are all reasonable units to have be intelligent enough to speak to you.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Kaldir or Char first?

Is kaldir the jungle planet everyone was complaining about? Should I get that over and done with first because of it?

I'll ask one more time now that the game has been out a good few hours, how does the campaign compare to SoL? II's campaign is my favorite in any RTS and given it's the main reason why I play Starcraft I'm hoping the one in Heart of the Swarm compares favorably. Talking in terms of mission design and variety of course, story elements excluded.

Tacitus_

I'll ask one more time now that the game has been out a good few hours, how does the campaign compare to SoL? II's campaign is my favorite in any RTS and given it's the main reason why I play Starcraft I'm hoping the one in Heart of the Swarm compares favorably. Talking in terms of mission design and variety of course, story elements excluded.

I loved it. Great variety and nice design. If you can look past the derpy story elements of the jungle planet, even it has great missions.

Keikaku

I personally find it better. I think the missions in the Terran campaign reflect the philosophy of the race to the extreme-maximum defense. To me the Zerg campaigns feel "Zergy"-more emphasis on mobility and damage. The missions themselves definitely feel better paced to me and the design has been good so far.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Story-wise aside from random prophetic appearances from Zeratul, what the hell have the bulk Protoss been doing while Raynor's Rebellion and Kerrigan's reunification of the swarm have been going on? In fact I don't even know who the people in charge of the main fleet are since the end of the Brood Wars. I haven't played HotS campaign yet but if it's anything like WoL it just has random, backwater Protoss appearances of little importance.

If I had to venture a guess I would say they were already fighting a war with the Dark Ones off screen. smh Metzen

zychi

Banned
My authenticator won't let me log into my battle.net account. So frustrating. The code keeps telling me its wrong.

All I want to do is play some HotS :(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
My authenticator won't let me log into my battle.net account. So frustrating. The code keeps telling me its wrong.

All I want to do is play some HotS :(
Mobile authenticator? If so, same thing happened to me recently. You'll have to get it removed and (if you so choose) re-attached. Unless you're a cunt and have lax security the only two reasons anyone has to hack you are called World of Warcraft and Diablo III. Starcraft accounts don't have a market for resale AFAIK.

Wunder

Did my placements - went 3-2 and placed into Silver. :[ Players were really varied in terms of skill level. 3 games I won I absolutely dominated (mostly) but the 2 games I lost I got my ass handed to me. Really need practice on the new maps, they are fucking huge. I also need some fucking build orders for HOTS.

zychi

Banned
Mobile authenticator? If so, same thing happened to me recently. You'll have to get it removed and (if you so choose) re-attached. Unless you're a cunt and have lax security the only two reasons anyone has to hack you are called World of Warcraft and Diablo III. Starcraft accounts don't have a market for resale AFAIK.

I play both of those ontop of SC. So I want the authenticator on there. I guess I'll just remove it for now and then just re-add it later.

Zzoram

I play both of those ontop of SC. So I want the authenticator on there. I guess I'll just remove it for now and then just re-add it later.

Ya always right down the remove code after linking an authenticator in case it ever gets out of sync.

duckroll

Story-wise aside from random prophetic appearances from Zeratul, what the hell have the bulk Protoss been doing while Raynor's Rebellion and Kerrigan's reunification of the swarm have been going on? In fact I don't even know who the people in charge of the main fleet are since the end of the Brood Wars. I haven't played HotS campaign yet but if it's anything like WoL it just has random, backwater Protoss appearances of little importance.

If I had to venture a guess I would say they were already fighting a war with the Dark Ones off screen. smh Metzen

They probably aren't doing anything of any importance, just being boring dudes until Zeratul decides to take charge in the final expansion, and then you get to meet all sorts of new Protoss characters who will represent various feuding aspects of the Protoss, all unwilling to work together to believe in the "real threat", but Zeratul will KICK THEIR ASSES and make them see the truth, and then everyone will make a final push together to "take the fight to them" against the dark one at the end, Mass Effect 3 style.

:lol

Jinaar

Can we archive this and return to it during the 2nd expansion? Accurate prediction is accurate.

They probably aren't doing anything of any importance, just being boring dudes until Zeratul decides to take charge in the final expansion, and then you get to meet all sorts of new Protoss characters who will represent various feuding aspects of the Protoss, all unwilling to work together to believe in the "real threat", but Zeratul will KICK THEIR ASSES and make them see the truth, and then everyone will make a final push together to "take the fight to them" against the dark one at the end, Mass Effect 3 style.

:lol

duckroll

Another thing I noticed about HotS which I don't think was in WoL.... what's with the "Streaming Data XX/YY MB" thing which pops up on loading screens in the bottom right corner? Is this some new always-online DRM they patched into SC2? My game is fully downloaded, so it's not like I should be lacking any data assets...

Top Bottom