• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

I haven't watched much SC in the last few months but I'm ready to get back in. I'm also pumped to play the campaign. WoL's campaign was great in spite of the garbage story.

Chris R

My friend from work and I were at a poker night at another coworkers place and we watched him play SC2. He made 2 SCV's, then nothing for a while, then 2 gas, then a few SCV's until supply blocked, then had 3 or 4 SCV's in both gas for a while, then a couple of depots and then made his first barracks. He ended up with maybe 18 SCV's total, and made marines from the one rax and easily killed his opponent. I don't think he used any gas at all.

There are levels of bronze that are almost tough to comprehend.

Where were those bronze players when I was in bronze :<

Pretty much all the advice on the last page seems pretty irrelevant for a TRUE beginner. We're talking about bronze here right? From my experience against bronze players these are people who can barely manage to build from a single barracks. All this advice about macro mechanics and army control and stuff seems completely irrelevant.

Personally i think for anything below gold i wouldn't call any race the easiest necessarily. They are all incredibly easy and it will make no difference which one you will pick. By far the most important thing is just to play around with the races and stick with the one you are comfortable with.

One thing i will definitely say is that warpin isn't necessarily as easy as a lot of people make out. It's the only macro mechanic where you have to be looking at where you're building your units (which throws a lot of people off) and if you have no idea about forward pylons it kinda sucks.

Personally i think zerg is BY FAR the easiest race to play and i have always thought that. For a noobie though i don't think it matters.

At the lowest level what matters is MACRO MACRO MACRO. You don't need micro in Bronze league. Just A move your (supposedly bigger army of) units into the opponents base.

Workers and buildings is what you should worry about. Later on you can work in Hotkeys, Positioning, builds, counter-builds, cheeses (unless you are Zerg and 6 pool) army comp and all that other stuff.

Thats how I left bronze league and am now almost to Platinum league.

Paches

Pretty much all the advice on the last page seems pretty irrelevant for a TRUE beginner. We're talking about bronze here right? From my experience against bronze players these are people who can barely manage to build from a single barracks. All this advice about macro mechanics and army control and stuff seems completely irrelevant.

Personally i think for anything below gold i wouldn't call any race the easiest necessarily. They are all incredibly easy and it will make no difference which one you will pick. By far the most important thing is just to play around with the races and stick with the one you are comfortable with.

One thing i will definitely say is that warpin isn't necessarily as easy as a lot of people make out. It's the only macro mechanic where you have to be looking at where you're building your units (which throws a lot of people off) and if you have no idea about forward pylons it kinda sucks.

Personally i think zerg is BY FAR the easiest race to play and i have always thought that. For a noobie though i don't think it matters.

The only thing you need to know to get out of Bronze is "keep making stuff". It probably doesn't even matter what you are making. Just keep making anything.

Are you guys happy? I bought it!

*pouts over loss of 60 bucks*

I know I'll like it though

The expansion is $40 and the collectors is $80.... How did you end up paying $60?

Unless you bought HOTS and WOL at the same time in which case it will be $60.

Im_Special

So how does this game interact with the first game's install? Does it overwrite the base game and you launch the new expansion game, but still have access to both campaigns or will it be 2 separate clients and I'll need to launch the first one to play the first ones story? I'm not much for multiplayer but would probably get this eventually to play the story, even though I stopped half way through the first ones, so I'll need to play that too then and finish it.

So how does this game interact with the first game's install? Does it overwrite the base game and you launch the new expansion game, but still have access to both campaigns or will it be 2 separate clients and I'll need to launch the first one to play the first ones story? I'm not much for multiplayer but would probably get this eventually to play the story, even though I stopped half way through the first ones, so I'll need to play that too then and finish it.

Well WOL looks pretty much like HOTS now except that there is no leveling, new units in MP and the Single Player is still WOL along with all HOTS achievements and Portraits.

I'm guessing it will overwrite the base game to give you access to all the stuff I listed.

I just hope there isn't another Diablo 3 fiasco where servers are backed up and crap. Error ______ would suck on launch day.

(._.)

Banned
cXskfZO.jpg

THIS is the way it should be. can't believe it took them like 2 years to finally realize and focus in on what's most important for the community.

TheExodu5

Banned
THIS is the way it should be. can't believe it took them like 2 years to finally realize and focus in on what's most important for the community.

It's a button to launch a browser window. It's not even where it should be. DotaTV puts this to shame so badly.

The only thing you need to know to get out of Bronze is "keep making stuff". It probably doesn't even matter what you are making. Just keep making anything.

Disagree completely, bronze should just learn some solid cheeses/allins until they get them down. If you can't execute a short build order near perfectly and get your units to attack on time then your macro is beyond hopeless anyways. Too much grandiose ideas of why people suck at the game when they are really just terrible at the controls. Plus it will win you games and get you to gold/plat fast depending on how long it takes you to get a grasp of the controls.

FluxWaveZ

Disagree completely, bronze should just learn some solid cheeses/allins until they get them down. If you can't execute a short build order near perfectly and get your units to attack on time then your macro is beyond hopeless anyways. Too much grandiose ideas of why people suck at the game when they are really just terrible at the controls. Plus it will win you games and get you to gold/plat fast depending on how long it takes you to get a grasp of the controls.

Not sure I agree with the focus on cheese, but I do agree that what a beginner should truly do is write down a build order and do exactly what it says with no variations. Practice individual build orders for each specific match-up and attempt to nail the timings. I think that would give a beginner an idea of how to macro just by following the build order's instructions. After they get comfortable with certain build orders, they can then try to incorporate others or attempt to modify them for their own tastes once they get comfortable with how it works.

That's what I think, at least. Easier to follow precise instructions than doing my own thing without direction.

Not sure I agree with the focus on cheese, but I do agree that what a beginner should truly do is write down a build order and do exactly what it says with no variations. Practice individual build orders for each specific match-up and attempt to nail the timings. I think that would give a beginner an idea of how to macro just by following the build order's instructions. After they get comfortable with certain build orders, they can then try to incorporate others or attempt to modify them for their own tastes once they get comfortable with how it works.

That's what I think, at least.

A cheese or all-in just focuses on the fundamentals of the right strategy on the right map and in the right match up, a solid and efficient build order, and sufficient unit control. A macro game uses these same fundamentals only over a much longer period of time, with more decision making, and thus demands more from the player.

If you can't easily all in your way to gold or plat then you just aren't solid enough at the basics of the game. Why make it harder on yourself with trying to learn too much at once?

Paches

We are talking about beating people who don't know what a photon cannon is. I don't think you need a precise build order or cheese. Let's be honest.

A cheese or all-in just focuses on the fundamentals of the right strategy on the right map and in the right match up, a solid and efficient build order, and sufficient unit control. A macro game uses these same fundamentals only over a much longer period of time, with more decision making, and thus demands more from the player.

If you can't easily all in your way to gold or plat then you just aren't solid enough at the basics of the game. Why make it harder on yourself with trying to learn too much at once?

All that comes over time from playing the game. You aren't gonna instantly know everything about timings and such. Only experience from losses and wins can teach you.

All this "just keep making stuff to get into silver" schpiel is so false on EU at least. I
played for months and couldn't get out. Its why I quit in the end. I was never learning from better players. Will stick to 2 vs 2 this time. I have more fun with that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm nitpicky >.< Sorry!

loqHslK.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corran, could you link all the WoL-OTs in this OT? When I get bored, sometimes I just love to go through the old stuff :3 I'd link you all of them but I'm on my phone.

profit

Why not?!

Money....
I love SC2 so much, but bills/food/gas are a bit more important.
It's not like I live from paycheck to paycheck, but I really need to feed my savings account to be ready for unexpected costs. And since I'm living together with my girlfriend who' still studying; that goes at a snales pace....

(._.)

Banned
It's a button to launch a browser window. It's not even where it should be. DotaTV puts this to shame so badly.

considering the start screen looked like this...

haqzwAH.jpg

for around two years I'd say a giant splash enticing a tournament which builds community is a tremendous step. all that fancy dota tv crap is cool but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Jezbollah

Re absolute noob scrub tier, Calidor, I consider myself on that same level too, so I am glad to have some company ;) Once global play is active and we get some kind of SC2Gaf clan going or something, I'll gladly have a few games with you to play around with all races and generally have fun learning.

Thanks to all, xmshake, EscapingJail, Draft etc for posting the summaries about the races and how noobs may be able to learn about them. I have been playing as Terran - may look into Zerg and 'Toss too. It's all fun.

profit

Re absolute noob scrub tier, Calidor, I consider myself on that same level too, so I am glad to have some company ;) Once global play is active and we get some kind of SC2Gaf clan going or something, I'll gladly have a few games with you to play around with all races and generally have fun learning.

Thanks to all, xmshake, EscapingJail, Draft etc for posting the summaries about the races and how noobs may be able to learn about them. I have been playing as Terran - may look into Zerg and 'Toss too. It's all fun.

If you ever have any questions about Terran, I'd be happy to help!
I'm far from the best player out there (breaking into diamond), but I've been playing Terran from launch of WoL and I've spend a good amount of time reading up on SC2 in general.

Yoshichan

Profit, you're my own personal MKP :3

Back practicing WoL for HotS (if that makes any sense). Still Gold-League. I guess things haven't changed at all for me leaguewise since the SC2 Beta :D.

Moff

Not practicing at all, I will enjoy the surely great single player campaign and get owned in multiplayer a few times and that will be about it

Top Bottom