• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II NA 1v1 Bronze Tournament

Thanks for casting these matches, Zealous. This really is exactly the kind of thing that every starcraft noob wants in order to get better: precise and thoughtful dissection of what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
iamblades said:
Holy fuck that's a lot of production facilities.

Not really....

If anything they should have gotten more by expanding earlier.

Raxus

As a toss once you get your first expansion or two you should start teching for a counter attack on top of getting a forge for upgrading your bread and butter units.

Zealous, really like your commentary. I hope you keep it up. :D

Edit: My only constructive thing is to try and stay away from spoilers a little bit more - build some tension up in the match. Keep us on edge!

eznark

Banned
Thanks zealous! Heading out of town for the weekend so I can't watch til later, looking forward to getting your feedback.

ZealousD

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Edit: My only constructive thing is to try and stay away from spoilers a little bit more - build some tension up in the match. Keep us on edge!

In most cases I'd agree, but I'm trying to do constructive analysis for these games. So I watch the match a couple times just so I can be sure I know where the mistakes are so I don't miss them later. Imagine if I had missed the gas harass in game 1!

ZealousD said:
In most cases I'd agree, but I'm trying to do constructive analysis for these games. So I watch the match a couple times just so I can be sure I know where the mistakes are so I don't miss them later. Imagine if I had missed the gas harass in game 1!

Sorry about elongating the PvT we posted last night, must suck having to watch it multiple times, really dragged on at the end

EDIT: just rewatched it, and all i can say is lol at how laughably bad that second half was on my part...

eznark

Banned
:lol

Thanks zealous. Just watched your commentary. My reasoning behind some of the dumber things I did:

1. I placed that second supply depot over there to expand my vision in case he tried some crafty pylon push. Obviously it did not expand it enough!

2. I have no idea why it took me so long to wall of completely. I generally go full wall. Strange.

3. I didn't want to pick up my one command center and move it down because I was afraid of losing it. It looks so safe tucked back there.

4. I do not know why I wasn't mining. It wasn't a conscious decision to do so. Just a blunder. Like letting all those guys sit there doing nothing.

5. That first banshee "harass" was total accident. I must have set my relay point there by mistake.

That was pretty ugly. The cool thing about it is I feel like I have already improved a bit from that game just a few days ago, and this certainly helped.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Nice videos so far. I'm a low-level silver player and wanted to get in on this tourney, but now I see that it is good I didn't. It's clear that Silver is a step above Bronze after watching these casts.

That might sound a little assy but it isn't intended to be. Blizz's system seems to be doing its job, and the tiers are already pretty well delineated/separated. I'm sure Gold players would cringe in the same manner watching one of my replays.

A lot of the stuff I saw in these first two games - no expansions, overproducing production buildings then leaving them empty, queuing up 4+ expensive units, stockpiling minerals, no detector units... all of those would lead to strings of losses in Silver but are more likely to go unpunished in Bronze.

I think the unit queue is a nice gauge of player skill. As a silver-level player I don't have the APM to just hotkey over to my nexus of gateways over and over to keep production going, so I usually "cheat it" a little by queuing up 2 stalkers or zealots, 3 probes, etc. For me, 2 is a good number... it's a number I can keep up with. So I can totally see why someone a little slower would need to queue up 4 in order to keep up.

ZealousD

Sorry for this late update. Forgot to take care of it yesterday and a hangover delayed me working on this today.

Anyway, we got two matches this round.

autobzooty vs Eznark
darkiguana vs zerokku

The two winners will go on to the finals.

Deadline will be Friday the 13th (dun dun dun!) at Noon EST.

ZealousD

darkiguana said:
Are you going to do commentary on the other games?

Yeah I had some things going on these past couple of nights. Just recorded the CBH vs Autobzooty match, but honestly it'll be the least interesting of the three I've done.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some tips:
Never stop making workers (But don't make 5 at once!)
Use your important / tech units as soon as you get them (banshee, medivac, etc)
If you ever have over 1,000 of a resource BLITZ to spend it. Ideally unit producing structures (add on say 3 gateways or 3 barracks + a factory). Base defenses are also ok (turrets and cannons, but don't go making 10 of them in 1 spot)
Learn a standard opening build order (9 pylon, 13 gate : 10 depot, 12 rax, 13 gas, 15 OC)

Cute game. :D

ZealousD said:
Yeah I had some things going on these past couple of nights. Just recorded the CBH vs Autobzooty match, but honestly it'll be the least interesting of the three I've done.

i'm here for learnin', not entertainment! this is STARCRAFT, dammit!

GDJustin

Is there going to be a Silver tourney after this? I wanna play against GAF members :(

GDJustin said:
Is there going to be a Silver tourney after this? I wanna play against GAF members :(

i think there's a bunch of silvers who want to do a tournament on here. you should organize one! i'll watch the replays if nothing else.

ZealousD

Sorry, but there's gonna be a delay on me uploading Game 3. I had compressed and uploaded the video to YouTube only to realize that I didn't mix the audio right, and that the sound effects of the game often blared over my voice so that you couldn't hear me.

I saved all the editing, so all I need to do is recompress and reupload, but this'll take a bit of time. I'll probably have it up by tomorrow morning.

Anyway guys, don't forget about your Round 2 matches! Be sure to check in and get those matches done by Friday.

GDJustin

I can't organize a Silver tourney. I mean I could organize one but I can't commentate the replays because I'm silver myself.

Enjoying the replays, Zealous! Your voice is a bit louder in the video, that's an improvement. Tiny point of criticism: maybe less stops/rewinds. It kind of interrupts the flow, and usually there are uneventful parts of the game where you can just discuss the things you want to mention.

ZealousD

perryfarrell said:
Enjoying the replays, Zealous! Your voice is a bit louder in the video, that's an improvement. Tiny point of criticism: maybe less stops/rewinds. It kind of interrupts the flow, and usually there are uneventful parts of the game where you can just discuss the things you want to mention.

I do the stops so I can do the more in-depth analysis without missing any vital parts of the game. And those rewinds, well, that's just because I missed a vital part of the game and wanted to do analysis of it. I'm not doing these replays so much for entertainment so much as I'm doing it to give tips to these players.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
darkiguana said:
Zerroku got me. I should have seen those damn Void Rays coming. Here is the replay:

http://www.mediafire.com/?k9s44kosl44tcfx

I was betting on the fact you wouldn't (and was hoping you werent doing the same which is why I had the stalkers at my entrance). That and when you attacked my expansions, It was the perfect time to sweep in with my void rays.

Still forgot to pay absolutely any attention to my economy while on the offense. Good god I always do that :lol

eznark

Banned
oh shoot, totally forgot about it (madden haze all day long). Any chance you can play tomorrow (before 2 or after 11 or so)? If not, I'll play tonight whenever you want. I've totally neglected starcraft this week so it won't be a long match :lol

eznark said:
oh shoot, totally forgot about it (madden haze all day long). Any chance you can play tomorrow (before 2 or after 11 or so)? If not, I'll play tonight whenever you want. I've totally neglected starcraft this week so it won't be a long match :lol

that's okay, i was hoping for tomorrow anyways. we'll do it then!

practice up!

edit: what time zone, btw?

eznark

Banned
can you play in the next couple hours?

I'm EST. I can play until 2 or after 11 roughly, depending on when we get back from dinner.

eznark said:
can you play in the next couple hours?

I'm EST. I can play until 2 or after 11 roughly, depending on when we get back from dinner.

Whoops, looks like I missed you :lol

If you mean 11 PM, then that'll work out great for me. I'm on the west coast, so yeah.

eznark

Banned
perfect, I'll try to get home as close to 11 as I can. After something like 9 straight losses I finally won one this morning, so you're in some serious trouble!

eznark said:
perfect, I'll try to get home as close to 11 as I can. After something like 9 straight losses I finally won one this morning, so you're in some serious trouble!

We'll see about that! ;)

eznark

Banned
good game autobzooty. Had me on my heels from the jump and I acquitted myself embarrassingly. Scrap map was a trap!!

GG eznark, that was fun!

http://www.mediafire.com/?t9kve9ovaq30lgo
^replay

eznark said:
good game autobzooty. Had me on my heels from the jump and I acquitted myself embarrassingly. Scrap map was a trap!!

yeah, as soon as i realized that scrap station was my weakness, I practiced it a whole bunch. starport rush is both good on that map, and my best bet against a terran player, so it really worked out. i probably would have lost if you had remembered scanner sweep! :lol

eznark

Banned
I think it was far from the point where that would have won it for me, but it would have let me relax a bit. I had played that map earlier today and had success with ground mech bashing in the front while he tried to focus on air. I was hoping to do the same but got totally distracted and all of a sudden I had two starports and zero tanks let alone Thors.

eznark said:
I think it was far from the point where that would have won it for me, but it would have let me relax a bit. I had played that map earlier today and had success with ground mech bashing in the front while he tried to focus on air. I was hoping to do the same but got totally distracted and all of a sudden I had two starports and zero tanks let alone Thors.

you had the right idea, my front door was pretty vulnerable except for a bunker, but a siege tank would have easily taken care of that. and i think you had enough marines to deal with the banshees, and the vikings weren't doing that much because of the marauders on the ground and the fact that you didn't have many air units.

Eznark, I'm in the middle of watching your replay and when you get harassed by a cloaked unit, you can use the Scanner Sweep from your Orbital Command to get sight of them. Ravens (which you ended up doing too) and Missile Turrets (which you had, just not full coverage of your worker line) will also give you detection.

eznark

Banned
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Eznark, I'm in the middle of watching your replay and when you get harassed by a cloaked unit, you can use the Scanner Sweep from your Orbital Command to get sight of them. Ravens (which you ended up doing too) and Missile Turrets (which you had, just not full coverage of your worker line) will also give you detection.
Ya, as soon as the match ended auto and I chatted a bit. I slapped myself in the forehead when he told me about scanner sweep because I knew it it just slipped my mind.

Sonufabitch!

Top Bottom