• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

sometimes

Neo Member
I just preordered it from Amazon.Uk after watching onthespot http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-th...Topslot;ThisWeek039sShows;OnTheSpotStarhawkGa

Dylan said the right things about SP(for which I care about), hopefully he wasn't full of it....

Unless you have a major reason to get it from amazon, change to HMV or Play to get all the pre-order bonuses, I don't think Amazon are giving them are they?

*UK- Play.com and hmv:
Receive a code for the above bonuses when you pre-order.

HMV

Play

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sadly, I can't pick this up next week, but the week after, the 15th, I'll definitely have to get it. I really enjoyed being part of the beta (for the short time I was able: damn you, adult life!).

So much is coming out this month, it's crazy, but I think I can squeeze Starhawk into my gaming budget for this month. I gotta support Lightbox. Warhawk had me addicted for ages, and was part of the reason why I thought the PS3 had an excellent year one, despite what most people think.

I really can't wait to sink my teeth into Starhawk.

Loudninja

PS blog comments
+ Harvard Bonin on May 3rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm said:

Co-op can be played solo. There is no survival mode but the Mercenary difficulty of co-op is pretty damn hard.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-or-die-full-trophy-list-tips/#comment-713117

+ Harvard Bonin on May 3rd, 2012 at 8:43 am said:

We have made a lot of updates to the mic system in Starhawk since the Beta. No doubt, we’ll continue to do so.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/02/pre-order-starhawk-for-lots-of-free-stuff/#comments

Jas

So much is coming out this month, it's crazy, but I think I can squeeze Starhawk into my gaming budget for this month. I gotta support Lightbox. Warhawk had me addicted for ages, and was part of the reason why I thought the PS3 had an excellent year one, despite what most people think.

I really can't wait to sink my teeth into Starhawk.

Pretty much why I just got back from putting a preorder on it at Gamestop :)

Does anyone know if the Beta is still active? I'd love to give this another shot.
Nope. Been done for a while. I've been wishing it were available to give it more time. Unfortunately, despite my criticisms, I was also dealing with the death of my mother (and her new husband in a car accident on Dec. 18) so I never had THAT much time/will to play many things.

Loudninja

Nope. Been done for a while. I've been wishing it were available to give it more time. Unfortunately, despite my criticisms, I was also dealing with the death of my mother (and her new husband in a car accident on Dec. 18) so I never had THAT much time/will to play many things.
Wow man I am sorry to hear that.

i don't like the sounds of single player after seeing that vid. sounds like a tower defense force style single player :/
Not at all. By definition, sure. Not in practice. Picture missions in other games that have you protect a target while enemies appear. Now imagine being able to drop walls, turrets, and bunkers (among others) to help thwart the baddies. Nothing too strategic, but it'll benefit you if you think about the placements.

Wow man I am sorry to hear that.
It was/is tough to deal with but I'm hanging in there. Life goes on and all that.

Himself

Holy shit, I'm sorry to inadvertently have that brought up. Stay strong, be well.

On the light side, thanks for being super helpful in this thread!

george_us

I have this preordered since the single-player looks pretty neat but holy shit is this game gonna tank. Absolutely no buzz whatsoever for this game.

anddo0

SP will decide my purchase. The campaign length sounds decent. The recent GT videos look alright for opening missions. I need to see a bit more to push me over the edge.

Also, no offline bots sucks. I was really looking forward to that.

Globox_82

Banned
Unless you have a major reason to get it from amazon, change to HMV or Play to get all the pre-order bonuses, I don't think Amazon are giving them are they?

*UK- Play.com and hmv:
Receive a code for the above bonuses when you pre-order.

HMV

Play

thanks. I will save those sites for future purchases. to take a look.
HMV doesn't ship free to Sweden, only UK (from what I can tell).

Play is expensive even with free shipping.

jayb

does anyone know when the media received review copies? I'm just curious when the full reviews will start popping up?

Loudninja

Outside of its fortifications, Starhawk is very much a traditional third-person shooter, but one that nails the essentials. Traditional but punchy and playful weapons mean on-foot sections are a blast, the spaceship controls are tight and responsive, and it's all wonderfully presented, with a cartoon aesthetic and cool Wild West vibe in sound and art design that ties in perfectly with its attractive space frontier angle.
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...s-spiritual-successor-takes-to-the-stars.html

Dylan did mention some changes from the beta:
1.Melee is faster
2.Homing missiles do more damage
3.More layouts

Cheska

Had this pre ordered to get the free upgrade to the LE from Gamestop but I completely forgot this was coming out so soon.

A heads up: My buddy pre-ordered and asked about the freebies. The GS employee said it'll be on the receipt. So no code card in the packaging.

A reminder: Those of you who purchased Twisted Metal, don't forget about the included Sweet Tooth outcast skin.

params7

Banned
Sony/LB really don't know how to market their game. So far there isn't a single, simple action packed trailer released so far. All are either gimmicks (Top 10 ways to kill, Love, etc) or has DJ giving speeches in them.

The one released in E3 last year is the most marketable trailer so far but its all CG. I wish they could release a gameplay trailer in similar style.

BF3's Donya Fortress trailer alone blows the shit out of all SH's trailers.

KDR_11k

The whole spawning by orbital drop and buying vehicles/defenses system sounds like Section 8. That game solved the turret hogging problem by giving each player a much smaller number to spawn so one guy can't hog all the turret slots. Some things (vehicles, AA turrets) have tight team-wide limits so one player is only allowed to buy one of them. And if nubs are hogging all the tank slots on your team it probably won't be long until they get freed up by enemy action so vehicles tend to naturally move into the possession of the best pilots.

Played a bit of Warhawk last night (been a while) and got trounced. Can't wait to have AI opponents to take out my bad game frustrations on in Starhawk =].

tfur

Per ordered last night. I may not have a lot of time to play, but I always put my $ toward studios I enjoy.

The last time that I played, was before the WH tweaks in the the first beta. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised.

So what I got from those videos is that the other environments look really really cool.

Still not convinced on the game though. Still foresee too much of the structure limit being wasted on auto turrets or excess junk at the home base. You have these great expansive maps but everything in the middle doesn't matter, for the majority of public games there will only be 2 bases - your home base and theirs - and everything in between is just empty space you must drive your jeep/bike across.

Loudninja

He said homing missiles will do close to 75% damage instead of 50% like the beta.

He said that is very very close to what Warhawk had.

ironcreed

Banned
I had a great time with Warhawk and really want this, but am afraid I am going to have to be late to the party. Between what I already have on my plate and Dragon's Dogma getting ready to release, I just don't have the time to invest in it right now. Looks like it will have the most unique multiplayer out right now, though. No doubt about it.

It obviously was a problem because they change it.

It may not have been fore you but many others.
No, I'm not saying that the damage was too weak or too strong, what I'm saying is you can't even begin to discuss homing missile damage when virtually every last homing missile doesn't even connect with it's target.

pre-ordered from amazon. i was thinking about doing it at gamestop but when i take a closer look at the bonus pre-order items i just don't care too much about them. i already have warhawk ps1. it'd be nice to have those bonus in-game items but it's not worth $8 to me (difference from amazon to gamestop pricing after tax)

lots of good pre-release work by the developers because their interviews/Q&A stuff is what got me to buy the game

Top Bottom