• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Started Phantom Brave this weekend: PB > Disgaea

Prospero

I have to say that, as much as I liked Disgaea, Phantom Brave is turning out to be the better game, if only because the battle system isn't susceptible to exploits that become obvious within the first five minutes of play. "But you were supposed to exploit Disgaea!" you're saying. Well, whatever, but all I know is that Phantom Brave's mechanics are rigorously designed, with the same feeling of freedom in crafting strategies that Disgaea offers. And Protection rules over that mechanic in Disgaea with the combos and the pyramids and all that jazz. (The only thing I don't like about Phantom Brave so far is that the graphics aren't really adequate in some instances to display the info you need--since corpses stay on the playfield, and units can stand on top of other units as well as corpses, and there are statistical readouts that usually cover about 1/3 of the screen, the board can be hard to read at times once battle gets heated. It's easy to attack an ally or a corpse if you're not careful.)

A newbie question: is the REMOVE statistic fixed for all phantoms, or does it marginally increase in some cases as characters level up? (Part of me actually hopes that it's fixed, because that's one thing that contributes to the game's difficulty and its balance--building a tank character that can clear a board singlehandedly isn't an option when that character can only stay on the board for five turns.)

MoxManiac

Just so you know, there is a huge exploit (probably bigger than any exploit in Disgaea, IMO) in PB for gaining experience. I like it though, removes the tedium of getting characters up to speed. I won't go into it here unless you want me to.

Remove is fixed, but you can increase it slightly by fusing a solider and his Energy Saver ability to another character, but the mana cost is astronomical.

If you do any leveling in the dungeons, you'll find the main story battles a bit easy.

Prospero

MoxManiac said:
Just so you know, there is a huge exploit (probably bigger than any exploit in Disgaea, IMO) in PB for gaining experience. I like it though, removes the tedium of getting characters up to speed. I won't go into it here unless you want me to.

No, don't tell me--I'll try to figure it out myself.

If you do any leveling in the dungeons, you'll find the main story battles a bit easy.

I was sort of noticing that already (since in Disgaea, I went through each story battle two or three times in order to get leveled up for the next one, and I haven't needed to do that here.

Top Bottom