• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staying in shape only gets harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtmax

It's damn hard. How i miss the days when i was 19 living at home. Training my ass off like if i was giong to teh olympics...my testosterone levels bursting like a fourteen year boy watching his first pr0n flick...those were the days.

Now there's so much going on that i have to be content with simply maintaining a decent shape, as opposed to continuing to improve. I'm going into the gym and i feel exhausted after the first warmup set. There's no time to get psyched up anymore, to plan my meals ahead of time or visualize the workout beforehand.

It's frustrating going in and knowing that i'm just there to prevent myself from degrading instead of stimulating new muscle. But such is life. At least i'm still getting in there 3x a week.

Getting older sucks.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I've gotten stronger with old age, coupled with an understanding of discipline and
mind-over-matter, and i feel pretty good whenever i hit the gym.

Im almost 25 and im in the best shape ive ever been. Work helps a lot, its not cardio, but constant use of LIFTING sure helps a ton.

I often wonder about the stuff I cant really see tho. My eating habits are beyond bizzare, and probably contribute to my weight loss as much as my constant activity does.

To be honest, im horribly bored with food. Eating has become a pretty pain in the ass time waster. I dont even eat at wendy's as much.

Admittedly my knees are shot, one can dislocate with the wrong motion, the other is weak enough to eventually tear out of place. My back is really strong however, since i've had to compensate. Dont lift with your back? Whatever, I have to. My eyes are shot and continue to degrade. I hope I learn sword skills like in blind fury. Other than that im doing ok.

gtmax

yeah i'm 27 and i feel 40. I feel like my peak was at 19/20 and that i won't be able to get back to it. I have a lot more muscle maturiy now as opposed to then, but the hardness and vascularity of those days is something that i feel i can't recreate, or haven't yet.

I don't know if it's that i'm making excuses or if it's truly having so many responsibilities now that makes it hard for me to add new muscle. OF course not having a training partner makes it that much harder. I couldn't possibly had hit my peak, size wise, at 19, so i'll have to keep striving to get back on the diet/training routine that'll have me packing on muscle again.

DJ Sl4m

I turn 34 tommorow, and I'm almost in the best shape I've ever been in.
Well at least since just before I stopped working out do to a heatstroke over 4 years ago.

I started back in the GYM about a year and a half ago due to a new years resolution in the OT forum here at G-A. (I believe Alpha made that thread)

Right now I'm 205 lbs @ 5'-10", with approx 4-5% bodyfat.
I'm back lifting heavy, eating right, and training consistantly, my only problem is I'm not as gung ho or super motivated as I used to be.
But I actually like it, at least the laid back approach doesn't make me arrogant or a show off.

Don't be discouraged, I'm back in shape after going through an entire mind/body draining experience that everyone in the medical profesion will tell you nobody ever fully recovers from.
I refused to be told I couldn't do it, and here I am.

You can do almost anything you want to, just keep positive, set your goals high with stages of acomplishment along the way and keep at it, I did it and you can too, esp at my age ;p

Prine

Banned
heh, im like you. Get to the gym, and im already tired.

Might have to do with my diet, as i have lowered my carb intake. But im 21, i should'nt be feeling like this

-=DoAvl=-

I know EXACTLY what you guys mean! I'm 22, and battling the buldge has been so hard! I lack the discipline and motivation to do anything about it (save for bball matches once a week).

I've actually got my alarm on my phone set to 6am every morning so that I can wake up and go jogging, but I always manage to switch it off during my sleep (even though it's pretty hard to switch off alarms on phones!).

Oh well, I miss the days when I wasn't sittin in front of the computer 24/7... :(

Dyne

I'm about 17, and I'm just starting to get crazy about exercise. I'm going for runs now, but I never used to.. because my feet were flat.

I think when I hit 17, my body changed a heck of a lot. Exercise used to exhaust me. Now it feels great.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I has been documented that during the ages between 24 and 30, you mentally change the way you think you should feel after excercising and working out. Your mind attempts to trick you into thinking that you are old in your late 20s and you start to believe that you have no stamina left and start to lack motivation to work out.

Once you reach 31 however, your body and mind change. You mentally realize how much stamina you have and that your body still has as much juice flowing through it as it did in your late teens/early 20s. It is your job to change the way you think and to convince yourself that you still have a long way to go before your body starts breaking down(ages 45-50). The youngsters complaining need to get with the program and suck it up. I'm sure DJ will agree wih me.

doncale

Banned
got

danceaerobics.jpg

and

hrd_acc_powerpad_sideb.jpg

?

:)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I`m nearly 30, and i`m definitely in the best shape i`ve been in.

This week i`ve pushed hard at the gym, and i`m now running a 10km and a 8km run every day, which i`ve never been able to do.

The thing is, now i`m limited by time. I`m not tired at the end of 10km

I guess the trade off with time is this :
Raw speed and reactions vs Stamina

This is hugely apparent when we are playing Japanese University soccer sides.

gtmax

isamu said:
I has been documented that during the ages between 24 and 30, you mentally change the way you think you should feel after excercising and working out. Your mind attempts to trick you into thinking that you are old in your late 20s and you start to believe that you have no stamina left and start to lack motivation to work out.

Once you reach 31 however, your body and mind change. You mentally realize how much stamina you have and that your body still has as much juice flowing through it as it did in your late teens/early 20s. It is your job to change the way you think and to convince yourself that you still have a long way to go before your body starts breaking down(ages 45-50). The youngsters complaining need to get with the program and suck it up. I'm sure DJ will agree wih me.

Damn that must be true because it's exactly what i feel. This is the first post from you that i've enjoyed, and i mean including GT Forums. :)

Thanks for the nugget of info, i'll keep that in mind for my next workout. I also bought some testosterone pre-cursor (androstene) to give me a little kick, even if only psychological, while i'm working out.

Loki

Count of Concision
I'm not sure about weightlifting or anything, but I know that in basketball, the common wisdom espoused by coaches and analysts says that you're just entering your physical peak at 26-27. It likely continues until at least the early-mid 30's, provided that you take steps in ensuring it. Though, as you've noted, that becomes much more difficult as we age due to our added responsibilities and obligations-- unless you're a professional athlete, I suppose. :p

HAOHMARU

Sice high school I'm up to 426lbs from 240...and I'm only 5' 6". I've been on the couch a lot lately...I hope I don't turn out like that lady the other day.

Socreges

Banned
I go to the gym almost every other day and play soccer three times a week (was recently signed!). I haven't been in such good shape since I was ~17. Then again I'm only 21, but I feel awesome.

In order to compensate, however, God has decided to take hair from the top of my head at an ever-increasing rate. The guy just doesn't want me to be happy.

Alucard

Banned
I'm 23 and finally starting to take care of my body. I've been on my workout plan for 3 steady months now and have lost about 23 pounds. Slow and steady. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
gtmax said:
Damn that must be true because it's exactly what i feel. This is the first post from you that i've enjoyed, and i mean including GT Forums. :)

Thanks for the nugget of info, i'll keep that in mind for my next workout. I also bought some testosterone pre-cursor (androstene) to give me a little kick, even if only psychological, while i'm working out.

No problem man :)

DJ Sl4m

isamu said:

Yea I whole heartedly agree with all that, I think the peak of a persons physical output is 26-28 depending on the person.

All you have to do is believe and want something really bad, and you can do it.
Personally I love when someone in 'real life' says I can't accomplish something, that's usually the spark that assures I end up doing it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom