• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth Inc: A clone in the dark (PSV/PS3) |OT|

Skyzard

Banned
Picked this up yesterday and loving it. I've only played through the first three areas (not bothering to S rank anything just now), but it's already pretty tough!

I assume you need to complete each area with each costume to unlock the next costume for use in that area?

Don't forget you get the current DLC for free if you buy within the first two weeks.

Oh nice I didn't know that, thanks! Might do it then if it works in the UK...so it shows up as free after you buy the game?

Why do this lazy shit then SCEE, putting up the dlc to buy now for another few quid is a turn off, just set it for 2 weeks.

With the PSASBR DLC it took me ages to figure out which costumes I had already with the pre-order set since they went out of their way to mix them up =/

--to clarify, I bought it and it auto-downloaded the dlc, all good and really enjoying the game so far, up to world 3 atm.

FDC1

It's only free if you buy the game. It the DLC was directly appearing free on the store, anyone could take it.

Skyzard

Banned
I guess if they don't want to have a separate listing that only shows for people who bought the game in the first 2 weeks and then a delayed listing...it's more effort.

Tradeoff for not giving everyone (who notices) the dlc for free within the first 2 weeks (like PSASBR did) is that people might get the wrong idea - especially since neither listing mentions it.

I got too many games anyway, I would bite at the US price from impulse probably but as it is, I can resist I think, got enough for now but will nab it eventually.

wouwie

I'm currently in world 5 and i'm loving this game. It's a very nice mix of platform and puzzle gaming. It's not easy but it's rarely frustrating (good and fast checkpoint and restart options). The new mechanics introduced in each world keep it interesting. And the boss battle levels are great too.

Well done, Curve. I'll certainly be looking out for your next game.

ReaperXL7

I'm currently in world 5 and i'm loving this game. It's a very nice mix of platform and puzzle gaming. It's not easy but it's rarely frustrating (good and fast checkpoint and restart options). The new mechanics introduced in each world keep it interesting. And the boss battle levels are great too.

Next game "should" be the Lone Survivor Directors cut, its a 2D survival horror game with lots of inspiration from Silent Hill.

http://community.eu.playstation.com...o-see-Starbound-on-PS3-PS4-Vita/td-p/19422648

Supposed to release next month according to Curve. Considering the job they did with Stealth Bastard im excited for it.

This game really should get props for it's style of stealth bosses. I know it's mostly based on mechanics and an all-seeing eye, rather than characterization, but that's how you cap off a world and bring all your new skills and understanding to fruition with actual stealth and lateral thinking, nonetheless. It's a wise and well-executed design concept.

I am loving this game so far. I am up to world 7 with a trail of S-ranks behind me. I have 100% of the first 4 worlds and only some helices to pick up (and their respective bonus worlds to S-rank) in world 5 and 6.

The controls are very tight and the levels all seem very well designed. There are a few sections where I would have liked the initial starting positions to be different in order to facilitate speed runs (I don't want to have to stand and wait) and a few of the bosses move in random ways which ruins the ability to get the fast times (resulting in an immediate restart), but these are such minor issues in an otherwise fantastic game. The various mechanics are usually thoughtfully implemented and they make each new set of levels a fresh experience.

It is unfortunate though that the game doesn't seem to be selling too well. I think I am generally pretty good at games and I have been pretty fixated on getting the speed run times in each level (puzzle stealth games just bring out the OCD in me for some reason) - but I really don't know if I should be hitting the top of the leaderboard so often. I hope that this sells well, Curve has done a fantastic job in delivering challenging, fun gameplay and a tonne of content. They are definitely a developer I will be paying attention to in the future.

So this is pretty damn great. I'm splitting my time between this and Zeno Clash 2, but I keep feeling the itch to play this and that's the sign of a great game in my opinion.

Pretty annoyed myself that I didn't buy the Vita version though, feels like it would be infinitely better on the Vita than PS3. Ah well, live and learn. I'll probably end up double dipping if the upcoming Summer sale is a bust.

MercuryLS

Banned
So this is pretty damn great. I'm splitting my time between this and Zeno Clash 2, but I keep feeling the itch to play this and that's the sign of a great game in my opinion.

Pretty annoyed myself that I didn't buy the Vita version though, feels like it would be infinitely better on the Vita than PS3. Ah well, live and learn. I'll probably end up double dipping if the upcoming Summer sale is a bust.

Isn't this cross buy? If you bought it for PS3 you should be able to download the vita version for free.

wouwie

Isn't it cross buy? At least it is in Europe. I bought it for Vita and could also download the PS3 version. I preferred playing this game on Vita in this case.

Yeah, it's cross buy. Go into your download history and download the Vita version. There's cloud syncing on the main menu (square button) to easily transfer your save between platforms.

Isn't this cross buy? If you bought it for PS3 you should be able to download the vita version for free.

Isn't it cross buy? At least it is in Europe. I bought it for Vita and could also download the PS3 version. I preferred playing this game on Vita in this case.

Yeah, it's cross buy. Go into your download history and download the Vita version. There's cloud syncing on the main menu (square button) to easily transfer your save between platforms.

Hell yeah! Thanks for the heads up, will download it via the download list when I get home. I really need to start checking my download list more often.

DBT85

Got all the Helix on world 1 except for the one in the S level which I cannot yet do.

Only just realised that you need no gadgets to get the S on each level.

Really like the teleport mechanic from what little I've used of it.

How are guys enjoying the platforming, does it feel tight or quite loose?

After doing speed runs on the first 4 worlds, I'd say once you solve a level's puzzles, executing it quickly for a good rank or time makes for pitch perfect platforming. Super tight.

Edgeward

Are trophies separate for each version?

And man, sector 4's boss was pissing me off. The way he behaves can really fuck over your speed run, especially if he instant kills you while dropping even when green

Skyzard

Banned
After doing speed runs on the first 4 worlds, I'd say once you solve a level's puzzles, executing it quickly for a good rank or time makes for pitch perfect platforming. Super tight.

Ok thanks, going to grab it then, not too bad a file size at around 400 apparently.

edit - dlc downloaded fine on vita (2-3mb)- game is only 187mb! nice

both ps3 versions were added on my download list fine as well.

Okay, just played it for about 30 seconds, very good, thanks! Back to the game. Awesome game, plays great, unique features for me with the light in a 2d platformer, excellent music.

Anyone remember when you unlock new units? It's taunting me each stage, I'm at 2-4 atm. - ah nice, in the posts below.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Enjoying it, although I can tell I'm going to suck at getting S ranks for the longer, more complicated stages.

The game needs an option to restart from the end-of-stage stats page. There's no need to kick you out to the stage selection when you're trying to improve your rank.

I unlocked the second suit (
camouflage
) after beating the first boss but noticed it wasn't available to use, so I went back to the first area and I could select it there. Same now for the second and third areas.

I assume the same is for each subsequent costume, but I haven't actually gone back and used it yet so I'm not sure.

I'm not real sure how that works. Replaying stages with any suit seems to unlock the next one, at least for that stage. I couldn't quite figure out a consistent pattern for where suits get unlocked.

The game needs an option to restart from the end-of-stage stats page. There's no need to kick you out to the stage selection when you're trying to improve your rank.

Agreed. That, plus a friend leaderboard filter and a total game time for people who've completed every stage in the normal game (and a separate one for the DLC of course).

Skyzard

Banned
I'm really surprised there isn't a friend leaderboard honestly.

Yep :S I thought none of my friends had done anything when I was toggling through...Also the restart at the end is needed too. Otherwise, excellent. Bit weird that they'd miss those two obvious things with how good the game is though.

Also, a level editor! f yes! we can share ?

Up to world 3 (I Think). Kinda find the art style or graphics if you like to be very dull. Not sure if the environments change somewhat later or if it all is set in test chambers but I hope it improves.

Feels more like a puzzle game then a stealth game.

I put it in my puzzle games bubble. I like the mechanics mostly though, I know what you mean about the environment so far. I'll be picking up all the DLC for this if it's reasonably priced though. Wish it had more of a platforming focus too but it's good still.

Really love the bosses.

Up to world 3 (I Think). Kinda find the art style or graphics if you like to be very dull. Not sure if the environments change somewhat later or if it all is set in test chambers but I hope it improves.

I think if the game had just the slightest bit more personality and some more stand-out music (not that it's bad or unfitting, but pales to something like Hotline Miami, or even some stylistic chiptune OST's, and the snap-rap club beat feel is probably an acquired taste), to go with how perfectly executed everything else is, it would be a more popular game with potential for elite status.

Since the stealth is the puzzle it is essentially all puzzle/platforming, but it works, so no love lost on me. Feels like Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus on Super Mario steroids. I say that because even those two Oddworld games had similar play on sneaking, shadows, and reflexes... just with more complex actions and at a much slower pace.

I know when I described it as "Mark of the Portal" (not implying that it's derivative of either or a 1 to 1 comparison) to some friends, I might have inadvertently put them off on what they were hoping was more of a pure stealth game. I think what makes it feel less pure stealth is that there's no way to dispatch/assassinate enemies (outside of occasionally being able to crush a sentry with something).

wouwie

I think if the game had just the slightest bit more personality and some more stand-out music (not that it's bad or unfitting, but pales to something like Hotline Miami, or even some stylistic chiptune OST's, and the snap-rap club beat feel is probably an acquired taste), to go with how perfectly executed everything else is, it would be a more popular game with potential for elite status.

I agree. It's not a bad looking game at all but it's all a bit dark and without much personality. When i watched some trailers before the game was released (and before i played it myself), it didn't really catch my attention due to that reason. Luckily, i gave it a go anyway and ended up loving it.

I finished the story mode (the 8 levels / world) and the dlc and i thought it was a fantastic game. Gameplay was spot on, varied, fun, challenging and well thought out. I was hooked from start to finish. The DLC is really nice too. It introduces a new mechanic that offers some fun puzzles. I rarely like boss fights in games but in this case they were all great fun.

It's a bit oddly structured though. I assume you get an extra 2 levels in each world when you collect everything and go undetected in each level (the S thing)? The game also introduces power-ups but only after you finish the main game which makes me wonder why they are there?

Has anyone managed to finish
dlc 2-3 upwards and onwards? At the start of that level, there is some sort of high jump you need to take but i just can't reach it.

In short: a very good game that comes highly recommended for puzzle and platform gamers.

Edgeward

It's a bit oddly structured though. I assume you get an extra 2 levels in each world when you collect everything and go undetected in each level (the S thing)? The game also introduces power-ups but only after you finish the main game which makes me wonder why they are there?

Yes the 2nd to last level is unlocked by S ranking all previous levels. And the last level is unlocked by getting the helix in every previous level including the unlocked S ranked level

ReaperXL7

Yep :S I thought none of my friends had done anything when I was toggling through...Also the restart at the end is needed too. Otherwise, excellent. Bit weird that they'd miss those two obvious things with how good the game is though.

Also, a level editor! f yes! we can share ?

I put it in my puzzle games bubble. I like the mechanics mostly though, I know what you mean about the environment so far. I'll be picking up all the DLC for this if it's reasonably priced though. Wish it had more of a platforming focus too but it's good still.

Really love the bosses.

They are patching in the ability to share your levels for free at some point. No date has been givin yet though. Hopefully soonish.

Skyzard

Banned
They are patching in the ability to share your levels for free at some point. No date has been givin yet though. Hopefully soonish.

Awesome to hear, I was trying to create a nice platforming heavy level. Not too bad once you figure the basics of moving and duplicating things. Never really bothered with Sound Shapes even though it looks set up perfectly for it but will give a go with this.

Question about suit unlocks - do any of them give you the ability to momentarily jump higher or run faster? Spoiler the reply perhaps. Thanks.

Number45

I can't for the life of me work out how to activate the second switch on 4-5 and not die. Do I need to time it so that I can crouch back and get out of the way in time? It doesn't seem like there's enough time for that.

VanWinkle

Awesome to hear, I was trying to create a nice platforming heavy level. Not too bad once you figure the basics of moving and duplicating things. Never really bothered with Sound Shapes even though it looks set up perfectly for it but will give a go with this.

Question about suit unlocks - do any of them give you the ability to momentarily jump higher or run faster? Spoiler the reply perhaps. Thanks.

I'm hoping to see some user created levels that focus on platforming more than stealth, maybe not even having any stealth at all. Wonder if that's doable.

wouwie

Since there is no help in the game, i was wondering how you get S on a level? Is it about finishing a level in a certain time?

rjc571

Banned
Since there is no help in the game, i was wondering how you get S on a level? Is it about finishing a level in a certain time?

You have to clear the level within a certain time while only getting spotted a certain number of times. It tells you what the S rank goals are when you clear the level. (At least on the PC version.)

Number45

Yeah, the same on the Vita. You get your time, with target time beneath it followed by the same stats for deaths and lastly for how many times you've been spotted.

Number45

On the seventh area at the moment. At this point I think I'll just be happy if I make it through the normal levels. D:

Yeah, the ending was a nice little scene. Finally had some time to finish the last few levels... edit: got all the helices and s ranked everything in the main game today. Now onto the Teleporter Chambers DLC.

I'm not one to trophy whore or complain, since I played this game for fun, but man this game deserved a platinum for 100% completion... game is no joke.

sakipon

I'm playing this on Vita (via EU PS+). Seems there's some kind of a (rare?) bug with level 8-6 Clone Survivor, because the first few times I managed to direct my clone friend to the portal, absolutely nothing came out. After that I watched a YouTube walkthrough and confirmed I'm doing the level correctly. Later on I got it to work. The bug might be related to using the other portals while you rescue the clone, or something.

It's an okay game, but once I finish the story, it'll be gone from my Vita. I enjoy the puzzle part a whole lot more than the platforming. Though I have to admit this game has got some really great puzzles.

I enjoyed this game a lot, only got to about chapter 3 and then got stuck on a level which I could not for the life of me see the way to get past. It's probably face-smackingly obvious, but I just could not see it. I did get a bit pissed off with it though seeing as I paid £8 for it and then about six weeks later it joined PS+ as a freebie. I would have waited had I known, and it's made me a little bit bitter as a result.

Withnail

I enjoyed this game a lot, only got to about chapter 3 and then got stuck on a level which I could not for the life of me see the way to get past. It's probably face-smackingly obvious, but I just could not see it. I did get a bit pissed off with it though seeing as I paid £8 for it and then about six weeks later it joined PS+ as a freebie. I would have waited had I known, and it's made me a little bit bitter as a result.

Us early adopters did get the DLC, but I agree it was a little shady to put the game straight into the IGC. I really enjoyed playing it though and don't begrudge paying £8 for the experience.

The clue was that EU got the free DLC and NA didn't, obviously because it had already been lined up for the EU PS+. I'm going to watch out for that in the future.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Loving this game thus far. The S trails are addictive.

I had a moment of frustration when I incidently synched with the cloud only to discover that all my offline progress was overwritten by the cloud save file... which means I had to redo a bunch of levels for the S-rank.

But oh well... honestly I don't mind, even though I was close to S-ranking all worlds.

ReaperXL7

Loving this game thus far. The S trails are addictive.

I had a moment of frustration when I incidently synched with the cloud only to discover that all my offline progress was overwritten by the cloud save file... which means I had to redo a bunch of levels for the S-rank.

But oh well... honestly I don't mind, even though I was close to S-ranking all worlds.

Yeah, its one of my favorite games to come out of the Sony/Indie tsunami so far. The platforming is nice and tight, control is good, and most of the puzzles remain fun even when abit frustrating, the music is also pretty damn good. If your a fan of portal I recommend the DLC.

Fabrik

Banned
Up to World 4. This is a good game. The puzzle design is quite clever. Seeing the size of this thread, the game probably isn't setting PSN on fire.
The gameplay is really tight but if the game had a better protagonist, more varied environments, a little story and ditched the small levels structure to make it into a more coherent world similar to Mark Of The Ninja, it would have made much more buzz.

FranXico

Got it through PS+. And thankfully too, otherwise, I would have never noticed it.

Very engaging puzzle game when you get far enough. I like it a lot.

I complained about it in the Vita thread, but since this got bumped, I might as well here too...

I checked the leaderboards yesterday and every top 8 time on every level is 9:31 now. Looks like people glitched the shit out the game, and invalidated all the legitimate leaderboard competition.

Shame... I was looking forward to seeing if any of my times still held up from months ago. I abused my thumbs setting #1 on a lot of levels and at least top 8 on almost everything. Only thing I didn't get to was the Teleporter Chambers DLC.

Devs let it happen by leaving whatever the exploit is open, but man... people gotta ruin stuff. What's even the point?

wouwie

Up to World 4. This is a good game. The puzzle design is quite clever. Seeing the size of this thread, the game probably isn't setting PSN on fire.
The gameplay is really tight but if the game had a better protagonist, more varied environments, a little story and ditched the small levels structure to make it into a more coherent world similar to Mark Of The Ninja, it would have made much more buzz.

I agree. A more distinct visual approach would probably have meant more attention from gamers. Prior to playing, the game had little attraction to me but after playing, i think it will rank quite high in my GOTY list since it contained really decent and solid gameplay.

oggob

Looks like more DLC is on the way, PS+ autodownload a patch overnight for the Vita version (I assume the PS3 version would be the same)

Patch Notes v1.01
+ Leaderboard and ranking fixes
+ Fix for unnecessarily frequent system messages
+ Fix for level editor crash
+ Design fixes
+ The Lost Clones DLC trophies
+ The Lost Clones DLC compatibility fixes

100% the game and first DLC pack, can't wait for these new levels, going by the trophies it would seem similar to the first DLC pack, another 16 levels.

Wow, leaderboard fix. Bidds wasn't kidding when he said they'd fix it. Nice.

I wonder if it will totally wipe all times, or just anything that's 9:31... I hope for the latter.

wouwie

Looks like more DLC is on the way, PS+ autodownload a patch overnight for the Vita version (I assume the PS3 version would be the same.

Great news about the new DLC. The first DLC (which i got for free) was great so i'm picking this up.

Stealth Inc was such a nice game. It will end up top 5 in my GOTY list.

wouwie

Finished the 16 main levels from the newest DLC and i had a lot of fun with it.

All in all, i had a fantastic time playing Stealth Inc. It offers a great combination of (satisfying) puzzle gameplay and platform action.

Top Bottom