• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just link Durante's tag to a post we can keep updated with his accomplishments.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I thought stump said the last time that they reached a limit, it can't be any longer.
They should just give him a tag he wants at this point, any he wants I mean

I think they'll figure something out~

ND4qNn8.png

14 Minutes. 14 Minutes is all I can spare to make it playable.

If he fixed the rendering resolution internally (and didn't do anything to the framerate), it's just as playable as it was before. It's just "prettier" now.

videos are broken though.

give him another hour

Eh, he said 15 minutes. The clock is ticking... ;)

They should hire him to do their PC ports.

To be fair, I don't know how much Durante actually knows about porting game code and working as a game developer, so your statement might not even be something that could occur even if a company would assign a one man team to do a port.

Your suggestion would be better classed as "hire him to do Q&A" but that's not even really accurate, because he has those guidelines and he wouldn't really be looking for bugs, just "does it run at variable fps?", "does it support arbitrary resolutions?", etc.

What would make the most sense, if someone were to legitimately consider hiring Durante for the sort of work he does as a modder would be to give him early access to the GM code so that he could take a look at providing "unofficial" support for the things the PC community wants/expects/feels entitled to. I think if a game launched and alongside it there was a Durante fix available for those who would be angry about the port "quality", the backlash/outcries would be fewer overall.

Though this does nothing for Durante's desire to get companies who make PC ports into the habit of releasing things that comply with the guidelines he thinks they should have.

Yeah I know, but it makes it harder to buy their games, I mean, every other game is much cheaper! The Division is CLP$ 26,500 (US$ 37.20) while something like Fallout 4 is CLP$ 45,899 (US$ 64,44) or Tomb Raider CLP $37,349 (US$ $52.44 with the 10% discount), so if I had to decide between those games I would choose the first one :p

Yeah, I get that. But if at the end of the day you only had a passing interest in The Division and you really wanted Fallout 4 or whatever, you'd be better off just pulling a Rhaknar and buying the game you want to play now at the price it is now and actually playing it. :)

it can be fixed or not, I'm not willing to touch it, unless that DRM is removed. Not only principles, no but it looks harmful to me in more ways than just one.

Would be interesting to see what happened to your stance if XSEED put it in the next Trails title released on PC. What would win, your love of Trails, or your supicion that it "looks harmful in more ways than one"? :lol

I've only been using it as my pointing device while wrapped in a blanket and it's great for that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't like BPM though, that's for sure. When I get around to playing video games a bit more regularly again, that's probably what's going to irk me the most.

I don't like BPM either. I really hope they end up getting rid of that requirement for setting up the Steam controller configuration for a game... and ultimately, I'd love an option to disable the thing completely.

MUnited83

For you.
I thought stump said the last time that they reached a limit, it can't be any longer.
They should just give him a tag he wants at this point, any he wants I mean

He said it was close to the limit, not that it was at the limit yet.
And I'm sure they can do a blame space type tag to get around it

edit: lol, beaten

.... is it real?
I'd think it's a fake or something

it's very very real

Kaleinc

Banned
Again? :p
You're fucking ridiculous, how come you make it look so quick and easy?

It makes me wonder why one man can do it in 14 minutes and yet the team behind the porting couldn't (or didn't bother). Unacceptable and utter shameful.
It may take 14 minutes to surgically remove the appendix but you might have to study 14 years before pulling that off.
ps. namco are filthy casuals.

zkylon

zkylewd
bad image then
hey now

no shame to be interested

come with here to this corner, lemme tell u more about it..

I really want him to work on ports, especially Atelier games and other K-T games...

Its really ridiculous how someone can fix it in 14 minutes.

the big thing here is that durante doesn't have to test much of it and isn't accountable for anything which is kind of a big deal

not to defend bad ports or anything, but i can see how publishers/devs, specially those that are new to a platform would be reluctant to invest much into figuring that shit out if they don't know how good it's gonna sell

but really devs should do it anyways, i'm 100% for devs leaving their fps capped if they don't want to change it cos it's important to how things function, but resolution is really a very basic thing for any 3d game that u just cannot have

MUnited83

For you.
I don't think they did QA for Symphonia's port , like, at all. That's the only I can see the fucked up localizations making through it. Like, it's basic stuff that should have been catched on.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
the big thing here is that durante doesn't have to test much of it and isn't accountable for anything which is kind of a big deal

not to defend bad ports or anything, but i can see how publishers/devs, specially those that are new to a platform would be reluctant to invest much into figuring that shit out if they don't know how good it's gonna sell

but really devs should do it anyways, i'm 100% for devs leaving their fps capped if they don't want to change it cos it's important to how things function, but resolution is really a very basic thing for any 3d game that u just cannot have

Never attribute to incompetence what can be explained by laziness.

I don't think they did QA for Symphonia's port , like, at all. That's the only I can see the fucked up localizations making through it. Like, it's basic stuff that should have been catched on.

They didn't QA at all. If anything, it would've been a 2 minutes job to see the fucked up French accents or the German title screen.
Durante fixed it in 22 minutes for the graphics. If we're talking about a programmer paid 30€ an hour, which is generous, it would've been a 15€ budget to fix that shit. 15€ to repair the terrible reputation the port will get now. How many lost sales for a 15€ saving ? :)

Arthea

Would be interesting to see what happened to your stance if XSEED put it in the next Trails title released on PC. What would win, your love of Trails, or your supicion that it "looks harmful in more ways than one"? :lol

That's actually a really good question
Oh I know you didn't mean it to be answered in any way, but that won't stop me.

You see, I live in some sort of increased probability of bad things happening to hardware bubble, I also tend to encounter any bug in any given software. So my case is kinda special, I'm aware how fragile our technology is much more than your average person, I'm also awaiting everything to go kaboom every moment of my life, I sometimes complain about it, but as it changes nothing I have to take that into account when making decisions like that.
Would I dare to play Trails if it had any harmful DRM? Probably I would, and then I'll have to pay for it dearly expensively and swear never again, you know, the usual.

Dr Dogg

Good gravy what the fuck have Blizzard done to the mouse cursor in D3? I though something had gone wrong with High DPI scaling for a while until I realised 'no this is intentional'. I guess tonight's fun and games are trying to track down legacy .ani/.cur files and remember how you replace them again. Urggghhhhh.

Never attribute to incompetence what can be explained by laziness.

Well that and a helping of ignorance sometimes. Though that does also sometimes extend both ways.

zkylon

zkylewd
lemme put it this way

imagine if durante's hack (which i don't mean in like a derogative way, it's just that it's really kind of that, a hack) for some reason doesn't work on intel videocards he has 100% the right not to care

he can just be like "not my problem" and carry on with his life. i'm sure his personality being as it is he'd make his darnest effort to fix it but nobody payed him any money so he doesn't owe anyone anything

bamco or whoever's the publisher for that game kinda does, cos you're buying a license and you're kind of entitled to a working thing for that. i'm not talking legal stuff cos i don't know much about that, but bamco doesn't want ppl refunding their games or hating on them for their games not working on intel videocards or whatever, so they do the math.

and if it's better for them to not add these features because of the q&a costs involved in adding them vs the bad rep they get for doing a shoddy port they'll go for it

so idk if they're lazy or incompetent or what, the one thing i can be sure of is that money is what drives companies and that's what makes sense for them, even if it doesn't make any fucking sense at all

got an Abe's Oddysee booster pack...could have sold it and got back 15 cents...took the risk and opened it and now I'll make an astonishing 18 cents (as soon as the last card sells)

I'm rich

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the SP content is still locked then? I thought they were sort of doing a Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin upgrade where they were rolling the DLC content into the base game as part of the Enhanced Edition (sorta like GOTY). My mistake.

Yeah. If you just own the base game, then all you're getting is the gameplay update, with access to additional content requiring an upgrade to the Enhanced Edition (or the Season Pass is it's left available, but that doesn't seem to be the intention). I suppose the closest parallel would be Super Street Fighter 4 -> Ultra Street Fighter 4.

Arthea

Hah, no, I'm still around and not retiring or anything. Just would like to pass off a little bit of my procedural responsibilities to young bushy-tailed bright-eyed newmods.

I'd prefer you to stick around, you know how newbies are bullied here, I'm afraid for steamgaf if they'll try to pull that on a new energetic mod.

BTW, what happened to Zeliard?

mp1990

Banned
Yay new thread ! Anyone here plan on buying Danganronpa ?

I might pick it up, even though I've beaten it already on my PSTV (the replay value in this game is pretty low, mind you), and also vastly prefer Danganronpa 2. That said, i really wanna show NISA some support for doing such a great job on localizing these awesome games.

Dr Dogg

Hah, no, I'm still around and not retiring or anything. Just would like to pass off a little bit of my procedural responsibilities to young bushy-tailed bright-eyed newmods.

Hey admin duties are probably way more important. Plus I guess you could have an apprentice right? More in the Sorcerer's kind not the Trump kind of course.

Kiru

got an Abe's Oddysee booster pack...could have sold it and got back 15 cents...took the risk and opened it and now I'll make an astonishing 18 cents (as soon as the last card sells)

I'm rich
Did that with Guardians of Middle-Earth today. Booster would have sold for 18 cents, got a foil worth 51 cents out if it. Ka-Ching!

MUnited83

For you.
lemme put it this way

imagine if durante's hack (which i don't mean in like a derogative way, it's just that it's really kind of that, a hack) for some reason doesn't work on intel videocards he has 100% the right not to care

he can just be like "not my problem" and carry on with his life. i'm sure his personality being as it is he'd make his darnest effort to fix it but nobody payed him any money so he doesn't owe anyone anything

bamco or whoever's the publisher for that game kinda does, cos you're buying a license and you're kind of entitled to a working thing for that. i'm not talking legal stuff cos i don't know much about that, but bamco doesn't want ppl refunding their games or hating on them for their games not working on intel videocards or whatever, so they do the math.

and if it's better for them to not add these features because of the q&a costs involved in adding them vs the bad rep they get for doing a shoddy port they'll go for it

so idk if they're lazy or incompetent or what, the one thing i can be sure of is that money is what drives companies and that's what makes sense for them, even if it doesn't make any fucking sense at all
Considering that a) the issues the game has in Windows 7 and b) The localizations like the french one are completely fucking broken that argument doesn't make much sense.

Hektor

lemme put it this way

But you're missing a vital part for your argumentation. Bamco did not care at all what state they released the game in. You make it sound like they didn't add certain features because they might feared that they fuck up the port in the process. But what happened is, that they ultimately fucked up the port regardless.

Did you take a look at the respective thread? There was either zero Q&A done or nobody listened to their feedback anyways.

dex3108

Hmm Square Enix started adding South Eastern Europe countries in RU region for CD keys on Steam. Rise of the Tomb Raider was first game and now they did it with Hitman too. I saw on one local forum that people were able to buy cheap RotTR keys from Russia and activate them without issues. And i mean really cheap around 12$. This is interesting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
lemme put it this way

No this totally makes sense and I agree 100%. I encounter this often with my own work on Enhanced Steam - it's a free program, so if it doesn't work for your particular instance then I'm under 0 obligation to fix it. If a particular bug affects a large percentage of users, I try to fix it if possible. I obviously realize that if I were doing official work for Valve then fixes and changes I would propose would need a very high level of QA because if something doesn't work for even a small percentage of users, that's a problem. But that's also the difference between me doing ES in my spare time for free and potentially taking a salaried position at Valve.

The real kicker here is that they felt the need to add a third party DRM solution on top of Steam, and specifically one that borders on "anti-tamper" as if they thought that would prevent fixes like Durante's from happening. That's the part I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around, because implementing said DRM (and, subsequently, doing all the QA involved in it's implementation) couldn't have taken less time than actually fixing the game, right? Right?

Like you said, it all comes down to money and money drives the priorities of the "higher ups" on these sorts of projects. I'm sure some shareholder or board member somewhere is going "Excellent work on implementing that DRM Johnson-san, now we won't have as many lost sales to pirates with this release."

EDIT: And yeah, like others have said - the game is an incompetent mess otherwise ie. Windows 7 bugs and translation issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom