• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
You really want to be responsible for ruining another life? :D
ruining lives is what i do :>

just ask cheesy :>

Considering that a) the issues the game has in Windows 7 and b) The localizations like the french one are completely fucking broken that argument doesn't make much sense.
But you're missing a vital part for your argumentation. Bamco did not care at all what state they released the game in. You make it sound like they didn't add certain features because they might feared that they fuck up the port in the process. But what happened is, that they ultimately fucked up the port regardless.

Did you take a look at the respective thread? There was either zero Q&A done or nobody listened to their feedback anyways.
i'm probably bad at explaining myself but i'm just saying their lack of q&a or whatever is not because they're lazy, but because they're cheap

zkylon

zkylewd
i didn't care much about neither grow home or gunslinger but i think those games are pretty interesting to play for a while at least and for $1 it's a steal

No this totally makes sense and I agree 100%. I encounter this often with my own work on Enhanced Steam - it's a free program, so if it doesn't work for your particular instance then I'm under 0 obligation to fix it. If a particular bug affects a large percentage of users, I try to fix it if possible. I obviously realize that if I were doing official work for Valve then fixes and changes I would propose would need a very high level of QA because if something doesn't work for even a small percentage of users, that's a problem. But that's also the difference between me doing ES in my spare time for free and potentially taking a salaried position at Valve.

The real kicker here is that they felt the need to add a third party DRM solution on top of Steam, and specifically one that borders on "anti-tamper" as if they thought that would prevent fixes like Durante's from happening. That's the part I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around, because implementing said DRM (and, subsequently, doing all the QA involved in it's implementation) couldn't have taken less time than actually fixing the game, right? Right?

Like you said, it all comes down to money and money drives the priorities of the "higher ups" on these sorts of projects. I'm sure some shareholder or board member somewhere is going "Excellent work on implementing that DRM Johnson-san, now we won't have as many lost sales to pirates with this release."

EDIT: And yeah, like others have said - the game is an incompetent mess otherwise ie. Windows 7 bugs and translation issues.
yeah i'm mostly talking about how ppl seem to think this is a 15 minute fix when in reality the situations for a big company vs a hobbyist are very different

doesn't excuse in any way bamco releasing shit ports left and right but i think the context is important

and i didn't know about the drm stuff, that's pretty darned bad lol

I can't see this any other way

1moiqC1.gif

giphy.gif

Another Uplay bundle, another two weeks of a wasted front-page bundle.

At least stick a good Steam bundle in between the two Uplay ones, guys.

Or, alternatively, add Steam keys. I've still gotta go through Uplay (and have it installed) so it's not like they're losing anything.

These Ubi bundles are so common that they should be themed. Have an all Assassin's Creed Bundle, or an all Rayman. Splintercell... Just jumbling together isn't as compelling.

That's actually a really good question
Oh I know you didn't mean it to be answered in any way, but that won't stop me.

You see, I live in some sort of increased probability of bad things happening to hardware bubble, I also tend to encounter any bug in any given software. So my case is kinda special, I'm aware how fragile our technology is much more than your average person, I'm also awaiting everything to go kaboom every moment of my life, I sometimes complain about it, but as it changes nothing I have to take that into account when making decisions like that.
Would I dare to play Trails if it had any harmful DRM? Probably I would, and then I'll have to pay for it dearly expensively and swear never again, you know, the usual.

No, I actually wanted you to answer it if you felt like it. I was just wondering which would win out with you, your desire/love for a franchise or your perceived issues (real or not) with the DRM. Thanks for taking the time.

I hope you know that if I do poke you a bit sometimes, it's mostly supposed to be in good fun. I hope you don't take offense, as I try my best to not be rude to the posters I'm fond of. :)

Still alive, spoke to him a few days ago. I think he had some stuff going on, he's been busy.

He's been active on Steam. I saw him in my feed the other day; I think he just picked up The Witness.

yeah i'm mostly talking about how ppl seem to think this is a 15 minute fix when in reality the situations for a big company vs a hobbyist are very different

doesn't excuse in any way bamco releasing shit ports left and right but i think the context is important

and i didn't know about the drm stuff, that's pretty darned bad lol

You understand, and I like that.
And yeah, the DRM is kind of the worst part, I think... but it doesn't seem to be doing anything super restrictive at this point in the way of TAGES or something like it.

I wonder what possessed Namco to do such a thing? I wonder if it had something to do with the way they did the port or part of some legal agreement or something?

So Darkest Dungeon is sniffing around my wallet.

If it gets you, you'd do well to name someone after me. Ask Rhaknar. ;)

Hektor

ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 1 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xWBm0BY.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Uplay Far Cry 3 -- MB-8FE577E8C08379B9 - Taken by rtcn63. 4 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
t1cxE6r.gif
UPlay Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist -- MB-0A987E4329F5C630 - Taken by freshVeggie. 7 entrants total.
Steam Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-52C25445E01CE9A7 - Taken by Bayonetta. 4 entrants total.

t1454451341z1.png

yuraya

Ubisoft finally had a chance to do a good AssCreed bundle and they blew it. Such a shame.

Also a shitty move not to give steam key for Rayman Origins.

spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for shortsFortallPeople:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-6F96D191D437FF08 - Taken by kagamin. 10 entrants total.

t1454441501z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
This cat girl is making me feel very confused inside. Anyone know a good therapist?
first she's a fox girl

second, order is, you have to enjoy it first, then be confused, then go to therapy

you can't just jump to the therapy step and pretend it's ok dude

that's not how it works

You understand, and I like that.
And yeah, the DRM is kind of the worst part, I think... but it doesn't seem to be doing anything super restrictive at this point in the way of TAGES or something like it.

I wonder what possessed Namco to do such a thing? I wonder if it had something to do with the way they did the port or part of some legal agreement or something?
regardless of what my many detractors may say, i am pretty understanding

i dunno why they went with that, companies make hard to figure out decisions all the time cos they operate on strange knowledge that sometimes is just kind of wrong

Tenrius

Looks like I missed all the confusion! Too bad that couldn't have been worked out in advance.

Anyway, finished realMyst: Masterpiece Edition the other day. And it was great! It was my first experience with Myst anything and I regret not trying it earlier. For some reason, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it that much, but I got totally lost in the atmosphere and the puzzles were not as hard as I expected. Great atmosphere, great approach to storytelling, awesome visual design. Seriously, can't recommend it enough! Playing through Riven now and it's similarly great.

SSPssp

I also didn't get my steam keys at first, but I just refreshed the page, and they showed up.

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SSPssp, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-7AF6CCD97E45A21A - Taken by Megauap

MUnited83

For you.
Ok, I'll repeat one more time, I got no steam keys
not saying it's not a bug, just wanted to warn you guys in case it's not a bug.
I shouldn't have?

edited: what I mean uplay keys are fine

I mean that there's no way it is not a bug, hence people just need to wait a little bit and get them.

dex3108

This Humble UPlay Bundle is another proof that price is not issue in video games :D I mean people don't want to buy amazing game (Rayman Origins is amazing) for 1$ just because it is UPlay key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom