• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Looks at Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3....Bethesda is thriving and better than ever.

Looks at Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, most of Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Origins, and Star Wars The Old Republic....Bioware seems alive and well to me.

I agree with Bethesda but Bioware... Dragon age 2, ME3... yeah...

hlhbk

Up until the ending ME3 was pretty great. It's a lot better with the extended ending and the final DLC. I just pretend like DA2 never happened. :) DA inquisition looks great though.

Up until the ending ME3 was pretty great. It's a lot better with the extended ending and the final DLC. I just pretend like DA2 never happened. :) DA inquisition looks great though.
Bioware is pretty good on the technical front, but good god, they need to get their creative staff sorted out, because they can make great characters and individual level plots, but they shit the bed when it comes to overarching plots.

Getting rid of their "ancient evil awakens" boner would be a good start.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Thanks for The Showdown Effect Arthea! On a side note I finished Angelica Weaver the other day, which I was also lucky enough to win from you. Not a bad little puzzler! Hopefully I enjoy this one too :)

Arthea

Thanks for The Showdown Effect Arthea! On a side note I finished Angelica Weaver the other day, which I was also lucky enough to win from you. Not a bad little puzzler! Hopefully I enjoy this one too :)

You are welcome!
Good to know at least some of us play games.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
What was the thread number when the summer sale was on, 4? Amazing to think that for 3 full threads we've basically never left the front page.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My question is: Why do you want to be hired by Valve? To improve the client, sure. But what is your goals in improving the client?

If I was Gabe, I'd ask you this. You can't show lowest prices for obvious reasons. So that leaves the friend management and all the other stuff. But your future goals in revamping the client would be...?

I think the first order of business would be to clean up the various bugs and things with their existing code (some of which Enhanced Steam does) like fixing various "image not available" on banners and things on wishlists, fixing bad links, fixing 404 errors, etc.

The ultimate goal would be for me to be on the team that creates the next iteration of the Steam website. This way, I can help design how the website will work from the very beginning of the process. There are quite a few things now that even Enhanced Steam can't do - they're limitations of how the original site was created several years ago. I'd like to be on the team that does this and help shape things to come to create a completely better user experience.

Arthea

I think the first order of business would be to clean up the various bugs and things with their existing code (some of which Enhanced Steam does) like fixing various "image not available" on banners and things on wishlists, fixing bad links, fixing 404 errors, etc.

The ultimate goal would be for me to be on the team that creates the next iteration of the Steam website. This way, I can help design how the website will work from the very beginning of the process. There are quite a few things now that even Enhanced Steam can't do - they're limitations of how the original site was created several years ago. I'd like to be on the team that does this and help shape things to come to create a completely better user experience.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever had any real contact with Valve? Are they interested in your work? If you don't mind me asking.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I feel like, if I don't have the wiki open right next to me, I'm not going to get through Wrath of the lamb.

I can't get a good run to save myself. lol. Made it to mom once and she was fucking blue or some shit. -_-

Whomever decided to make that hopping spider creature a boss for the beginning is a dick. lol

nexen

Wait, I vaguely recall something about COD games actually having a separate listing for MAC in steam. As in you wouldn't get the Windows version as well. Is this true? Otherwise I'd totally bite on at least COD2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The first order of business would be getting Gunman Chronicles on Steam. ;)

Wait, I vaguely recall something about COD games actually having a separate listing for MAC in steam. As in you wouldn't get the Windows version as well. Is this true? Otherwise I'd totally bite on at least COD2.

It's only true of Black Ops as the Mac version is self-published by Aspyr.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever had any real contact with Valve? Are they interested in your work? If you don't mind me asking.

I've had quite a bit of contact with several different Valve people online. About 9 months ago, I contacted Gabe Newell who forwarded my message to the head of Steam development and told him to answer any questions I had about the code. He even made some changes to Steam (at my request) and offered to meet with me at Valve HQ.

When I visited Valve in May, I only had like... maybe 40,000 downloads. They were impressed but wanted to know when I thought I'd hit 50,000 or 100,000. I jokingly told them it would be when the Summer Sale started. Sure enough, 2 days before the sale started I hit my 100,000th download.

Anyway, while I was there I asked "What's the best way to be considered for a job at Valve?" And the answer I got was "Take something we've done, and make it better." So, I was on the right track.

After the Summer Sale I started shopping my resume (which included a full page of my work with Enhanced Steam) to several different people at Valve. I only got one response which was "Our team isn't interested at this time..."

So, refusing to give up on my dreams, I continue coding new Enhanced Steam features, working my shitty job where I'm losing benefits and pay soon, and dreaming of a day when Valve calls me home.

hlhbk

I've had quite a bit of contact with several different Valve people online. About 9 months ago, I contacted Gabe Newell who forwarded my message to the head of Steam development and told him to answer any questions I had about the code. He even made some changes to Steam (at my request) and offered to meet with me at Valve HQ.

When I visited Valve in May, I only had like... maybe 40,000 downloads. They were impressed but wanted to know when I thought I'd hit 50,000 or 100,000. I jokingly told them it would be when the Summer Sale started. Sure enough, 2 days before the sale started I hit my 100,000th download.

Anyway, while I was there I asked "What's the best way to be considered for a job at Valve?" And the answer I got was "Take something we've done, and make it better." So, I was on the right track.

After the Summer Sale I started shopping my resume (which included a full page of my work with Enhanced Steam) to several different people at Valve. I only got one response which was "Our team isn't interested at this time..."

So, refusing to give up on my dreams, I continue coding new Enhanced Steam features, working my shitty job where I'm losing benefits and pay soon, and dreaming of a day when Valve calls me home.

In the words of Deion Sanders: "PAY THAT MAN!"

Arthea

I imagine that a job at Valve is very desired by many.
Nevertheless good luck to you!
Especially as we'll have representative of Valve in steam thread if you succeed ;)
may be we already have, only I'm ignorant, who knows

AsylumX

Especially as we'll have representative of Valve in steam thread if you succeed ;)

Representative / Spy

nexen

I guarantee you that there are already Valve employees who watch this thread. Can't you feel them ... lurking?

Joe Molotov

I don't even...
What's the point of Early Access for a big major who also owns one of the main competitors??
If they want to cash in before time, they should pull an Early Access program on uPlay. :D

I don't see any reason to complain about more games getting on Steam.

Caerith

Looks at Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3....Bethesda is thriving and better than ever.

Looks at Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, most of Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Origins, and Star Wars The Old Republic....Bioware seems alive and well to me.
They're both thriving, sure, but "better than ever" is pretty subjective for either company. A lot of people are unhappy with post-Morrowind Bethesda, and a lot of people are unhappy with modern Bioware. But let's not get into that can of worms in this thread.

Chronoja

I don't even...
What's the point of Early Access for a big major who also owns one of the main competitors??
If they want to cash in before time, they should pull an Early Access program on uPlay. :D

It simply allows them to instantly negate any bad publicity from a shaky launch. What's that? the game's riddled with bugs to the point of unplayability, well be quiet it's still in early access "unfinished" state.

/cynicalmodeoff

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I guess these are US only? I tried with no luck "We apologize that we are not able to authorize payment for your order now"

Newegg is such a pain in the ass that you can't have a Billing Address and a Delivery Address that are different.

So, basically, you can't ever buy things for other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom