• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
doo eet

it's worth it

itd94zT9GqwCx.png

(only missing gra achievements T_T)

edit: add to this another like 140 hours of my sad pirated copy I shamefully got on day 1 :3
Oh man, I had like 200 hours on the base 360 version and never actually beat the main story. I'm hoping to do it on Steam though. It's definitely my game of the generation. However, I never played Fallout 3, so that could change. Maybe.
nah

Dr Dogg

Jørdan;93595009 said:
While the tool's author gives no guarantees - as long as your not connecting to a VAC server with it running or using it to abuse an event like the coal thing then it shouldn't cause any concern. Simply resetting achievements to enjoy earning them again is very unlikely to cause a fuss. I've only used it for idling cards which saves Steam and I hundreds of GBs without any issues.

Yeah I think with a lot of people using it more widely now for cards if there were widespread problems there would be more people crying. Most people who end up complaining they got VAC banned or had their account temporarily locked usually have been up to something against the TOS.

Might give it a whirl when I get me 2014 schedule in order. I seriously reckon if I never bought a game ever again I could get a lifetimes worth of enjoyment out of my current Steam library alone.

Arthea

People enjoy Skyrim because of the large open-world that feels interesting. From what I have heard Amalur's world feels empty and lifeless.

Judging Skyrim as a game? Literally every mechanic is quite poor.

I know that, I have a huge fan of Skyrim in my family (><)
I just can't understand how people can look past all wrongs with this game, what's almost everything.
Actually, Skyrim's world is much emptier, and more lifeless... Amalur's problem lies in poorly balanced combat and boring sidequests also in "path effect", I would really like games these days just let me go directly to closest destination, not to be forced following a winded path that covers half of the world.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh man, I had like 200 hours on the base 360 version and never actually beat the main story. I'm hoping to do it on Steam though. It's definitely my game of the generation. However, I never played Fallout 3, so that could change. Maybe.
nah
mods really help grind out some of the rough stuff like ui and combat and shit

I've played a bunch of extra content mods like quests and cut content and stuff too, playing it on pc is amazing

I beat the main story a couple of times with whole game runs, doing most quests and stuff, then went to try and get every ending and a bunch of wacky combinations to see what'd change.

it's all lots of fun

Sober

Any RO2 owners not getting a discount on Rising Storm on the Steam store? Might be tempted to just buy it off Humble seeing as it's probably cheaper at this point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
oh you can enable that on "casual" mode? that's cool, good on obsidian for doing that

I do disable the permadeath for companions via mods in hardcore mode because it's not really fun since companions can be super random
Sorry I meant settings for hardcore and non-hardcore. You can't pick and choose the features you want.

I've played a bunch of extra content mods like quests and cut content and stuff too, playing it on pc is amazing

I beat the main story a couple of times with whole game runs, doing most quests and stuff, then went to try and get every ending and a bunch of wacky combinations to see what'd change.

it's all lots of fun
I had a couple, the Freeside and Strip restorations. Liked the Freeside one, not so much The Strip. Other than that I have Mission Mojave and the JSawyer one. UI is fine for me as is.

Now if there is something to get rid of the glitchiness in VATS sometimes, that'd be awesome.

I might finish it the first time with the Legion. Could be fun!

Arthea

Apples/oranges. Comparing an Western RPG from Bethesda to an Action RPG like KoA just doesn't track for me.

Nah, they are nicely comparable, I think they even have some identical sidequests, not to mention that start about the same, "running for your life out of certain destinations for reasons". (><)
They have crafting, material acquiring in the same ways, buffs from objects in the world, huge amounts of loot, combat is different, I'll give you that. All in all these are very similar games we are talking about. ;)

cicero

woot! I almost didn't realize it but the latest batch of indie game keys added to old bundles brought me right up to 999. I am going to have to find something appropriate to put me over the top. And yes, I already own Bad Rats.

zkylon

zkylewd
I had a couple, the Freeside and Strip restorations. Liked the Freeside one, not so much The Strip. Other than that I have Mission Mojave and the JSawyer one. UI is fine for me as is.

Now if there is something to get rid of the glitchiness in VATS sometimes, that'd be awesome.
don't press that v key

problem fixed

Arthea

woot! I almost didn't realize it but the latest batch of indie game keys added to old bundles brought me right up to 999. I am going to have to find something appropriate to put me over the top. And yes, I already own Bad Rats.

There is no other way, you know it!
Barbie Thousand Party

Backlogger

People enjoy Skyrim because of the large open-world that feels interesting. From what I have heard Amalur's world feels empty and lifeless.

That's pretty much my feeling on it, although I guess I'm probably more forgiving about the combat mechanics than others.

I haven't played KoA yet, but I do plan on picking it up eventually.

This.

Also, the College quests are WEAK as fuck. Thieves Guild is way, WAY better.

Slyjss

I've been playing Teslagrad and it's a great game, nice metroidvania with really good level design and the animations are gorgeous. At the beginning it's really simple but once it starts introducing new puzzles it gets better and also harder. It requires both ability and thinking (I think it's better to play it with a controller, BTW). And speaking of hard, the bosses are really difficult. But this kind of difficult where you start getting killed in 5 seconds and then you learn their patrons and end up beating it without a scratch. Which is necessary as the death is instant, no second chances. I'm right in the middle (3rd boss out of 5) and really enjoying it.

Derrick01

Banned
This.

Also, the College quests are WEAK as fuck. Thieves Guild is way, WAY better.

They all really suck compared to their Oblivion counterparts. The quests are much simpler in design and less unique from the non guild sidequests in the game. I still remember the most unique dark brotherhood quest in Skyrim was that one where you
can drop the statue on the bride at the wedding
, which is a similar thing you do in like the very first or second real quest in Oblivion's DB.

FloatOn

I just deleted a bunch of games that have been sitting on my hard drive that suck but was considering playing more at a later time. Deleting games feels pretty good.

Also Machinarium and Botanicula are a snoozefest. DELETED.

(They are pretty though.)

Grief.exe

That's pretty much my feeling on it, although I guess I'm probably more forgiving about the combat mechanics than others.

I haven't played KoA yet, but I do plan on picking it up eventually.

I really want to try out KoA, just need that price to drop to a decent level.

Word of advice, apparently people are saying to just focus down the main quest. The side quests are too numerous, boring, and they over level you, taking any fun out of the game.

They all really suck compared to their Oblivion counterparts. The quests are much simpler in design and less unique from the non guild sidequests in the game. I still remember the most unique dark brotherhood quest in Skyrim was that one where you
can drop the statue on the bride at the wedding
, which is a similar thing you do in like the very first or second real quest in Oblivion's DB.

Get Quest
Send to Cave
Repeat ad infinitum

FauX

I got some keys left: Zeno Clash and hacker Duality (no DLC). Let me know via PM if you guys want one of them. First reply wins. Be patient if I don't answer fast, I'm at my job right know.

cicero

I just deleted a bunch of games that have been sitting on my hard drive that suck but was considering playing more at a later time. Deleting games feels pretty good.

Also Machinarium and Botanicula are a snoozefest. DELETED.

(They are pretty though.)

Machinarium: 0.2 hrs
Botanicula: 0.5 hrs

UnRealityExists, pls

You have no soul

I was just trying Machinarium and I honestly felt the same way. But for me it's mostly just a genre issue. I'm enough of a gamer that I occasionally like to try a game outside of my comfort zone genres so I gave it a whirl in spite of not being a big P&C fan. I like the art and it is very charming, but there is just something about my brain that doesn't like the lateral thinking involved in P&C games and struggles with it. I don't mind straight up puzzles (SpaceChem, Puzzle Dimension, Braid or stuff like that) but with games like Machinarium I never feel like the rules of the world are well defined and I hate having to just rock it with a walkthrough.

The_Monk

I live in south america bro, gimme a break

I love fallout and I didn't have the money at the time so I pirated it. I know the series from a pirated cd my cousin gifted me like 15 years ago, and now I have fallout 2 like 4 times, fallout 1 3 times, etc. no regrets

Well... Okay. I'm not going into much detail, so I'm just going to say that I do not agree with this type of mentality. Not judging, just saying that I do not agree... Don't take it personal since I'm just expressing my humble opinion. ;)

Played some Arkham Asylym after playing City on PS3 for 100% completion: my PC can barely hold 30 on low details (2.2 ghz dual core B980/GT630M) but I am still enjoying it.

Knurek

Word of advice, apparently people are saying to just focus down the main quest. The side quests are too numerous, boring, and they over level you, taking any fun out of the game.

Actually do the main quest and all factions questlines. And, uhh, two or three sidequests to get a feel how they actually are. Factions questlines are gold though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well... Okay. I'm not going into much detail, so I'm just going to say that I do not agree with this type of mentality. Not judging, just saying that I do not agree... Don't take it personal since I'm just expressing my humble opinion. ;)
fair enough

Yeeeesssssss, I'm a sucker for good shotguns in video games. That'll be enough for me to pick it up on sale.
that's all that game's worth for really

I mean it looks real pretty and shooting stuff feels jussst right but the game having a big identity crisis in their boredlands/straight shooter/racing game thing just doesn't mesh too well in the end

Breach & Clear is on greenlight now.

I've played the IOS version and it's pretty good. It's a turned-based tactics game, with a focus on kicking down doors and clearing rooms of terrorists. It's clearly taken 'inspiration' from XCOM EU, the cover system used here is essentially identical. What's unique is that both sides' turns play out at the same time. Also JTF2 is playable, which is cool.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202450206

Nah, they are nicely comparable, I think they even have some identical sidequests, not to mention that start about the same, "running for your life out of certain destinations for reasons". (><)
They have crafting, material acquiring in the same ways, buffs from objects in the world, huge amounts of loot, combat is different, I'll give you that. All in all these are very similar games we are talking about. ;)

I disagree, obviously.

The core gameplay has different a different focus in these games. KoA is much more focused on the combat as a core mechanic. In Skyrim, it's a necessity of the game type but not a focus of game design.

Personally, I'd consider KoA a lot closer to something like Darksiders 2, since the combat design/core gameplay is based on a third person camera and is a major design of the game with elements from other genres brought in, such as sidequests, loot, and leveling from traditional RPGs.

Huh? They are pretty similar indeed (they are both western ARPGs to start with!).

While KoA may technically be a Western RPG in the sense that the developers were a Western studio, I do not believe that the design of Skyrim or any of the Bethesda WRPG games is shared by KoA.

That said, I think they're both good games and fun/enjoyable to play if you're into what the core gameplay is all about.

Gonna make my purchases by tomorrow, just got back from a movie and want to hit the sack =P

What are you purchasing?
Also, why are you following me? :p

Tenrius

While KoA may technically be a Western RPG in the sense that the developers were a Western studio, I do not believe that the design of Skyrim or any of the Bethesda WRPG games is shared by KoA.

That said, I think they're both good games and fun/enjoyable to play if you're into what the core gameplay is all about.

Actually, I meant from a design standpoint, not by country of origin.

cicero

it's all lots of fun
I acquired the Ratslayer very early on and became a sneak sniper king. Silently killing groups of Caesar's Legionnaires from afar whilst keeping my neutral standing because they never saw what hit them. Then it was time to strip them down and pack horse all the goods to my local merchant. I never even finished the main storyline. I just silently worked my way around the entire map, leaving New Vegas alone.

I end up playing every open game like Fallout in the playing style I acquired from Thief and Thief 2. It is both a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Ezra2680

I would agree with this. I did most of the side quest stuff, and by half way through the game non of the fights were challenging any more. The world is beautiful though and I definitely would recommend at least giving KoA a shot if it ever goes on sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
I acquired the Ratslayer very early on and because sneak sniper king. Silently killing groups of Caesar's Legionnaires from afar whilst keeping my neutral standing because they never saw what hit them. Then it was time to strip them down and pack horse all the goods to my local merchant. I never even finished the main storyline. I just silently worked my way around the entire map, leaving New Vegas alone.

I end up playing every open game like Fallout in the playing style I acquired from Thief and Thief 2. It is both a blessing and a curse at the same time.

it's the beauty of new vegas, obsidian turned the screws just enough so that the mechanics from fo3 are enjoyable and interesting. not everything works but I had a lot of fun trying different builds, using disguises, working for multiple sides at the same time, going pacifist, being evil, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom