• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I was just trying Machinarium and I honestly felt the same way. But for me it's mostly just a genre issue. I'm enough of a gamer that I occasionally like to try a game outside of my comfort zone genres so I gave it a whirl in spite of not being a big P&C fan. I like the art and it is very charming, but there is just something about my brain that doesn't like the lateral thinking involved in P&C games and struggles with it. I don't mind straight up puzzles (SpaceChem, Puzzle Dimension, Braid or stuff like that) but with games like Machinarium I never feel like the rules of the world are well defined and I hate having to just rock it with a walkthrough.

exactly this. prior to my machinarium and botanicula knee-jerk reaction my only experience with point and click games were the secret of monkey island special edition and the walking dead.

The genre just doesn't jive with me it seems and as much as I'd like to enjoy every type of game I'm beginning to realize that I guess I'm just not that enlightened. And while the amanita design games are lovely experiences (art and sound) the minimalist story telling doesn't really do it for me either.

with all that said, let me give you my .02 on KoA: It sucks and that's with 22 hours played. Initially you think it's a good game because it has a refreshing action oriented combat system and a few neat ways to build your character but then you realize you care nothing for the story at all and all of the quests were obviously placeholder for the mmo that it was designed to be.

It's basically 3d streets of rage fantasy edition. Without the mindless fun these games provide in coop.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
F.E.A.R. and RAGE and DOOM 3 may have better shotguns than Fallout 3, but they don't have the Rock-It Launcher. Slow motion exploding of the head via high speed tin can? Decapitation of limbs via Strange Meat?

Oh no, nothing will give me more satisfaction than becoming the terror of a wasteland using rubbish.

Wasteland 2 is on Early Access
http://store.steampowered.com/app/240760/

header_292x136.jpg

cicero

Spectromancer + League of Heroes + Truth and Beauty [Online Game Code] - $1.99 (-90%)

Caveat emptor.
3rd-party DRM: Activation code
Renewal on request, 5 machine activation limit

Hey guys,

This is for everyone confused about Spectromancer. Our bundle has all the content, Steam just displays it very weirdly.

I personally bought the title this morning, installed it, and played for a few minutes, both League of Power and Truth&Beauty are active in the game, they just don't show up as DLC in Steam for some reason. The developer's explanation for this is that he included them in the key for Gathering of Power.

Sorry for the confusion, let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Tony

People enjoy Skyrim because of the large open-world that feels interesting. From what I have heard Amalur's world feels empty and lifeless.
That's... Pretty accurate.

Judging Skyrim as a game? Literally every mechanic is quite poor.
I suppose I understand this sentiment. Doesn't hamper my enjoyment, but I can see why others are turned off by it. Skyrim's my GOTF, it's got practically everything I want. With mods that only became more true.

Now TES VI just needs to craft a fucking huge world to get lost in.

Miguel81

So, about Assetto Corsa. Is it worth getting? Also, are they planning to make it a big game with lots of cars and mods, or should I wait for Project Cars?

Uh, all the quest chains are basically exactly the same, aren't they?
You just come back with a different item from the dungeons.

The Thieves Guild had some interesting heists, but nothing on the level of Oblivion, sadly. The Dark Brotherhood was amazeballs in this game, though. As I recall, both had very little dungeon delving.

The College was pretty disappointing, especially the fact that you could complete it even when you barely used magic. It just didn't feel legit.

Beth needs to get back on Morrowind level of guilds coexisting and evaluating you. If you're supposed to be the leader of a guild of Mages, it makes no sense that you only know basic spells.

Miguel81

That's... Pretty accurate.

I suppose I understand this sentiment. Doesn't hamper my enjoyment, but I can see why others are turned off by it. Skyrim's my GOTF, it's got practically everything I want. With mods that only became more true.

Now TES VI just needs to craft a fucking huge world to get lost in.

I just wish they had 3rd person fighting like in the Souls series.

MRORANGE

Daily reminder:

<-- click for info.
t1387476000z0.png

People who have been added to the poll so far (send a pm if you can't see your name.):
RealityExists, JaseC, PriitV, valouris, More_Badass, Baron von Loathsome, zkylon, BennyBlanco, Cheddahz, PetriP-TNT, xenoflux2113, OldAsUrSock, Nzyme32, didamangi, Zia, Tenrius, ArjanN, chronomac, jshackles, Iron Badger, Intheflorsh, SinineSiil, vermadas, Dice, Xavin, Karu, Mengy, Dambrosi, Camel Master, Baron_Calamity, Backlogger, Storm360, Wok, DukeBobby, PandaPedinte, Roboleon, Slyjss, cicero, Nabs, Cth, theMrCravens, mannerbot, NaM, Atraveller, arts&crafts, MMBosstones86, toddhunter, RionaaM, Whools, Rayge, destx, DXLelouch153, sofiabudapest, Robert J. Sullivan, ctw0e, wetflame, Phinor, Jawmuncher, Dolor, kafiend, kurahador, DeadlyVirus, Locust, Chairmanchuck, Tesseract, PhaZZe, Ezra2680, KenOD, MulderWasTaken, Lain, hitoshi, adaen, Blizzard, Boss Doggie, Khronico, Jørdan, Faabulous, Ryne, Widdly Scuds, Glass Rebel, grindamasta, Tellaerin, blackMamba1187, 28 Posts Later, Angel Abaddon, sprinkles, Accent, nexen, denx, Santiako, not psycho, Milamber, GuardsmanGreg, The_Monk, phantomspiker, Eanan, corrosivefrost, thrillho, fantomena,

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
yea I mean you can go as far back as doom 1 or something but you know everybody already loves those

Okay this has annoyed me for long enough. What is your avatar from? I swear its from an anime that was released in the last 2 years, but I can't place it.

We just launched Stick It on Steam, unfortunately the trailer hasn't made it up there (yet), but please take a look at the page :)

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251830/

(40% launch discount for one week)

Wow, after the silence following the amazing promo trailers, I thought this game had died in development hell. Good to see that it lives.

The_Monk

So, about Assetto Corsa. Is it worth getting? Also, are they planning to make it a big game with lots of cars and mods, or should I wait for Project Cars?

Check the Early Access thread in here fellow GAFfer, lot's of great screenshots from gameplay in there. I'll say get it. The game is shaping up and it's looking great. If the price is not a problem for you then there's really nothing else to do besides getting the game. And then, you can also get P. Cars later on. If you get it, make sure to leave some impressions too, I've been dry on my racing needs after finishing both Dirt 2 & 3 for PC last month and I always welcome more good feedback on the game.

The hell, London 2012 has locked the PC keyboard controls to match those of Xbox360 control scheme. This means you need to press A, B, X and Y on keyboard and can't change them. Worst controls ever lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
Okay this has annoyed me for long enough. What is your avatar from? I swear its from an anime that was released in the last 2 years, but I can't place it.

it's kusanagi from the 2008 mamoru oshii film the sky crawlers, looking herself at the mirror and hating herself and life and everything. with some color edits of mine :3

my kind of character

not quite 2 years ago but close

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
it's kusanagi from the mamoru oshii film the sky crawlers, looking herself at the mirror and hating herself and life and everything. with some color edits of mine :3

my kind of character

Aren't you Irish? Just drown the pain with some mid-tier scotch.

Alcoholism isn't the answer. Also, thanks for the answer, not knowing was really aggravating.

No. The game needs to be released in 2013 on Steam.

Well now I have a list comprised of only 4 titles.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.2. Here is the full changelog:

• Added regional price comparison feature which is fully configurable in options
  • Added sale information to wishlist entries
  • Added "ADD UNOWNED DLC TO CART" button on app pages
  • Added "Buy Wishlist" section to wishlist pages
  • Fixed a bug where some inventory market links were not functioning correctly
  • Fixed a bug where some non-marketable inventory items were incorrectly trying to find market prices

As always, if anyone has any questions feel free to let me know.

DocSeuss

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.2. Here is the full changelog:

• Added regional price comparison feature which is fully configurable in options
  • Fixed a bug where some non-marketable inventory items were incorrectly trying to find market prices

You've been informed that you are the best around, and no one's ever going to keep you down, right?

Zeknurn

Steam Client beta update.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1787099106169030299

We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

General

Introducing Steam Family Options, a new way for parents and families to establish access to the Steam features and content they choose.
Fixed crash in game backup code if a user didn't own a mounted depot
Fix estimated download-time staying blank in the Downloads page
Add disk-activity indicator to downloads page, will light up if updates are slowed because Steam is waiting for the local disk to write data
Fixes for Asian text input in the Steam overlay affecting the input state of the game
Simplify application name displayed for Steam executable in Windows firewall and crash dialogs

Big Picture

Most notification toasts should now respond to pressing the guide button or clicking on the notification
Modal dialogs should now close when clicking outside of the dialog
Fix estimated download time remaining string getting cut off
Add control of per-game update settings under "Links and More" in the Library

Thanks a lot! Enhanced Steam is great!

zkylon

zkylewd
Aren't you Irish? Just drown the pain with some mid-tier scotch.

Alcoholism isn't the answer. Also, thanks for the answer, not knowing was really aggravating.

close, but wrong again, I hail from argentina. lots of drunks here, myself included (at my darkest times, just not at the moment) :p

plus I don't really like scotch

also thanks for wondering, I like to make my avatars not-obvious :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom