• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7ExYiMl.jpg

For some reason this made me laugh a lot.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Happy Friday, folks!

I know this isn't as extravagant as some of the giveaways around here, but I hope people will get a little enjoyment out of it.

it's not about how big the giveaway is, but rather the intent. You want someone to get enjoyment, that makes it a good giveaway. Well, except those who can't unsee Bomberman.

Knurek

Are emulators and roms illegal? I have no idea, so I ask here before I do anything.

Emulators are completely legal.
Roms, as in a personal backup of a game you own, are completely legal.
Roms. as in stuff you share on the internet, are completely illegal.

MRORANGE

Are emulators and roms illegal? I have no idea, so I ask here before I do anything.

yes/no,

notice: before posting, check TOS on Gaf:

D. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.

KenOD

Roms, as in a personal backup of a game you own, are completely legal.

I've heard mixed thoughts on that. Nintendo for example doesn't believe so. http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

MRORANGE

Overall Gaf's position is that if you own the game legally (cartridge/disc) and the console, it's okay to have a 'backup' copy.

I'm guessing that's how the Dolphin/PCXS2 threads are allowed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does ModBot play nicely with multiple keys for the one game? I recall Stump suggested it but he wasn't sure if it'd work correctly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You just have to name them each differently, like game #1, game #2, etc.

Oh, I understand that; I'm talking about providing multiple keys for the one offering (namely game + DLC).

E.g. Hacker Evolution + DLC: 1111-2222-3333-4444 5555-6666-7777-8888 etc.

For those who have played Risk of Rain, is it as chaotic and hard to follow as the video makes me think it is? I really want to play it, but after I watched the video I felt like I couldn't follow what was going on. I imagine it's easier once you're actually playing. I'm probably still going to get it anyway, just wondering about that part.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
For those who have played Risk of Rain, is it as chaotic and hard to follow as the video makes me think it is? I really want to play it, but after I watched the video I felt like I couldn't follow what was going on. I imagine it's easier once you're actually playing. I'm probably still going to get it anyway, just wondering about that part.

There is a demo on the game's site.

Download the demo and give it a go. The controls can be confusing but you'll quickly find what works.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Oh, I understand that; I'm talking about providing multiple keys for the one offering (namely game + DLC).

E.g. Hacker Evolution + DLC: 1111-2222-3333-4444 5555-6666-7777-8888 etc.

You have it correct. That's how I did it. Just put them all on one line with a space between each key.

Nakayumi

Thank you Xelios for Hard Reset!

Now here's a little giveaway of my own.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-A5A891B7D6C45E34 - Taken by gimel
F.E.A.R. -- MB-1A8B240F1FC09B87 - Taken by gabbo. 7 entrants total.
Brutal Legend -- MB-43671F6E7C290E94 - Taken by BHK3. 4 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-0855A8BDF856EE54 - Taken by ModBot - Taken by Regginator
FTL -- MB-FF190C3B7FAA2933 - Taken by Gamerloid. 2 entrants total.
Limbo -- MB-0850489322AAACBC - Taken by stryke

t1385177273z1.png

KenOD

Playing FTL again. Thought it would be a nice easy (since I picked Easy mode) stroll to relax. Got all the way to the final encounter and not a single store.

Caerith

In a year that has been full of forgettable, boring games I think AC4 might just take the crown at the last leg of the race. For a game that supposedly redeemed the series it's really no better than 3 and has every problem the series has had since 2. There is almost no point in doing any of the incredible amount of things that are on the map, at least none that I've been able to find yet. I'm honestly struggling to stay awake while playing this. I'm finding that I pause every 10-20 minutes just to go on my PC so I can wake myself up.

Don't be so hard on it it, it's just an AAA game.

And besides, of course AC4 is going to be boring. I mean, first of all, it has historically accurate sailing, which means plotting courses and sailing with the wind, with careful and precise tacking being the only way to move against it (and even that is arduous)-- it's not like some fast-paced arcadey thing where you can put a ship into reverse. And it has historically accurate trade and economy, requiring you to spend months at a time tanning the hides of monkeys you kill to make new belts. Plus there's the careful attention to the human economy, where the people are realistically simulated and not just an endless swarm of people who say "grazi" after you kill a bunch of soldiers harassing them (without any repercussions for killing hundreds upon hundreds of soldiers).

Maybe you were expecting some fast and loose fun that throws all realism and pretext to the wind and lets you shrug off cannonballs by tightening your abs at the right moment, but this is Assassin's Creed.

It's not a lot chaotic and you get used to it, unless something like this happen:

1EB73786A37FFFC0CC53724F2421DF4F8C0A244E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom