• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orcs Must Die! So much fun. My only complaint is that the character's "funny quips" aren't that funny but I am too busy setting traps and shooting orcs in the face to really have them bother me.

So good guys. So good.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If there's a Halloween sale, I hope to see Dead Space 2 hit for $9.99 or lower. I really regret passing on it during the Summer Sale.

It's probably the only game I'll buy.

Echoplx

Looks like the Halloween sale is going ahead

Railworks 3 has a 'Trains vs Zombies' add on listed in the registry.

Unrelated but there's also a MW3 'Try and Die Promo' listed and Batman AC UK pre-purchase is listed.

3chopl0x said:

Unrelated but there's also a MW3 'Try and Die Promo' listed and Batman AC UK pre-purchase is listed.

24dhlio.jpg

SmokyDave

3chopl0x said:

Sounds like I'm about to buy my first piece of Railworks DLC.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Orcs Must Die! So much fun. My only complaint is that the character's "funny quips" aren't that funny but I am too busy setting traps and shooting orcs in the face to really have them bother me.

So good guys. So good.
Yeah, it's a lot cooler than I thought. Though, a lot of these indie games I have picked up have a way of just throwing you right into the next level. A lot of people dig that momentum but I don't really for whatever reason. I guess I like to spend more time getting comfortable with the best way of using stuff I have before adding more. Revenge of the Titans is pretty psycho fast in this regard. I also wish Cogs had a "retry" button upon completing a level (rather than continue then reselect last level) to accommodate my perfectionist impulses. The option to quick restart even on a good finish is something Super Meat Boy got right.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
3chopl0x said:

Wat.

Twinduct

Joe Molotov said:
In a battle of trains and zombies, my money is on the train.

It's all fun and games until the zombies take over the trains! Personally I can't wait for the city cleaning simulator's take on zombies

Echoplx

Having put a few hours into Railworks I honestly have no idea how they are going to add something like that into the game.

Should be interesting.

StuBurns said:
Steam doesn't care about anything, it hosts video games, it's up to those developers to care about OS X.

Shouldn't it promote somehow the plateforme ? As a distributor, maybe it should ease certification or show devs some charts that tell how much money they can make realeasing Mac version or games their games on Steam. Maybe they do it already, I (we ?) have not much clues

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
Mike Myers looks like the singer from Death Cab, use that knowledge how you will.

I'll hand it to Pinky and the Brain; they'll know what to do.

AndyMoogle said:
It's 50% off on xbox.com, so I'm guessing they will do the same for Steam.

Somebody forgot to explain to Capcom the ins and outs of Steam sales.

MRORANGE

UnluckyKate said:
Shouldn't it promote somehow the plateforme ? As a distributor, maybe it should ease certification or show devs some charts that tell how much money they can make realeasing Mac version or games their games on Steam. Maybe they do it already, I (we ?) have not much clues

I'm not sure how much more support you can give to the mac platform, the ball is really in the dev's corner to do stuff.

indie devs have had e a easier time getting on steam than xbla or psn (regional differentiation and requirements slows down the process on consoles.) Valve has already talked to Devs about the benefits of profit margins compared to retail already.

Dice

JaseC said:
As much as I have bashed RE5 for being an abomination to the series. It does still seem like a decent game if judged autonomously, and modders seem to have some fun with it. If it were $5 I'd be tempted to get that over 2 as-of-yet unknown indie game bundles... but it will be $10.

MRORANGE

to be fair Capcom did use to do 75%/66% sales a few years ago, but they must have realised that they were making with a killing with the sales and decided to reduce the savings of sales.

Sanic

I forgot that we're going to be looking at a nearly nonstop barrage of sales from now until the end of the year :D. Bring on the Halloween sale!

Lothars

MRORANGE said:
to be fair Capcom did use to do 75%/66% sales a few years ago, but they must have realised that they were making with a killing with the sales and decided to reduce the savings of sales.
Yeah I remember a couple years ago, it was 7.50, but I haven't seen it back to that price at all.

Dice said:
As much as I have bashed RE5 for being an abomination to the series. It does still seem like a decent game if judged autonomously, and modders seem to have some fun with it. If it were $5 I'd be tempted to get that over 2 as-of-yet unknown indie game bundles... but it will be $10.

I feel that RE5 is a great game, I haven't played the PC version but I've heard it's perfectly fine and I hope it's on sale so I can pick it up.

JaseC

Stallion Free said:
Call of Duty games consistently get two free weekends which very few other games bother with so they get some points back in my book for that.

Yeah, they did well to embrace the Free Weekend concept.

Dice said:

I hold no soft spot for the Resident Evil series and yet still found it to be a bore. There's no denying that it's a looker on the PC, however, and for that I wouldn't mind picking it up at ~$5.

Joe Molotov

JaseC said:

Nothing is worse than Konami and Silent Hill: Homecoming, which is still $40 despite being older than dirt, a shit game, and a bad port. And the best deal it's ever gotten is 50% off (I think during last year's Halloween Sale). If there's another Halloween Sale this year, look for it to get the same kind of "deal".

coopolon

RE5 really isn't worth playing if you're going to play it solo in my opinion. The entire game is designed to make you cooperate with your partner, but when your partner is a dumb AI, it doesn't work at all.

I played it awhile ago on 360 with a friend and got about half way through. I really enjoyed it then. Then started it again earlier this year on PC by myself and found it incredibly annoying having to manage her inventory/try to figure out ways to beat bosses designed to be beaten by two people working together.

Dice

I haave considered that aspect, but I highly doubt they'll drop it any further anyway. Regardless of whatever they do, I'm far more in the mood for Zombie Driver. It has been hella cheap a few times, so it's a good candidate, so long as they don't bundle it with 4 shitty horror-theme games in one of their indie bundles.

coopolon said:
RE5 really isn't worth playing if you're going to play it solo in my opinion. The entire game is designed to make you cooperate with your partner, but when your partner is a dumb AI, it doesn't work at all.

I played it awhile ago on 360 with a friend and got about half way through. I really enjoyed it then. Then started it again earlier this year on PC by myself and found it incredibly annoying having to manage her inventory/try to figure out ways to beat bosses designed to be beaten by two people working together.
I can attest to this as well. Played through RE5 almost in its entirety with a friend, and the scarce moments where I had to play it by my own completely convinced me there was no way I could have been assed to finish it unless I was playing it with another human being.

Then again, I'm not big on RE games.

Derrick01

Banned
coopolon said:

I agree. I just played through the PC version about a month ago and it's an ok game at best solo. Plus you can totally cheat your way through the game and 1 shot every boss with a rocket launcher. You get more than enough money to buy another one each level.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
StuBurns said:
Steam doesn't care about anything, it hosts video games, it's up to those developers to care about OS X.
I do wish Valve had a small group of people who would actively go after smaller and older games, but they have stated as much that they simply don't.

JaseC

Joe Molotov said:
Nothing is worse than Konami and Silent Hill: Homecoming, which is still $40 despite being older than dirt, a shit game, and a bad port. And the best deal it's ever gotten is 50% off (I think during last year's Halloween Sale). If there's another Halloween Sale this year, look for it to get the same kind of "deal".

Haha, I do recall Homecoming being brought up some time last year.

Dice

Stallion Free said:
Resident Evil 5 is sick in co-op. The replayability skyrockets with a good partner.
I feel like it should be said: Most avid RE5 fans I know tend to solo in Merc mode. As kickass of a job they have done in developing the RE universe, very few have the desire to be enthralled by the amazing storyline of an RE game multiple times, lol. Merc mode is cool and has rankings and highscores and rewards.

Firehead

Joe Molotov said:

According to my transaction history on Steam, I bought it for $9.99 during the 2009 Holiday Sale.

StuBurns

Banned
Drkirby said:
I do wish Valve had a small group of people who would actively go after smaller and older games, but they have stated as much that they simply don't.
I do think it's strange even things like DN3D aren't on the store. I've been meaning to buy Planescape Torment for a year or so, if it was on Steam I'd have bought it by now.

So Batman is weeks late and £35.

Not a good move. It's a shame I couldn't grab a copy off that Hard forums guy for £15. I don't want to buy this game at full price since they're fucking the PC userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom