• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zomg, a halloween steam sale. Quick, does anyone have any thoughts about Scratches, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, or those Sherlock Holmes games? Are any of them any good?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, so many sales. New thread?

Amnesia for $4, Bloodlines for $5, Penumbra for $5, STALKER complete for $8.75

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
kamspy said:
No Costume Quest?

Que?

Yeah, they've done some absolutely bizarre things with the game.

So it's a game about Halloween, right? Let's launch it just weeks before Halloween. It's a year late, so let's make sure we charge full price for it.

Ledsen

Looking for a US GAF:er to gift me Back to the Future, Fear Collection, and Rock of Ages. Also giving away a free copy of ARES (from the indie bundle) to the first person who asks (I already own it) :)

morningbus

Thankfully there isn't anything I really want that's on sale.

Except maybe Railworks.

And Rock of Ages.

And Dead Space 2 (which, by itself, is still 50% off)

God damn it.

Konami and Capcom continue to bring the fun, though:

Silent Hill: 13.59
Devil May Cry 3: 9.99
Devil May Cry 4: 9.99

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BioHazard said:
I love these guys

OBPM9.png

lol cyl is going as candy corn!!!! wicked costume dude!

Blizzard

Banned
I don't care much about zombies and I don't like scary games, so I probably won't buy much anything, but I'm going to pick up those Sherlock Holmes and Nancy Drew games if I don't already own them.

morningbus

But seriously: someone who has Railworks, can you like, stream some of the Zombie DLC?

This could honestly get me to buy it.

Joe Molotov

theinfinityissue said:
zomg, a halloween steam sale. Quick, does anyone have any thoughts about Scratches, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, or those Sherlock Holmes games? Are any of them any good?

Scratches is fucking awesome, Dark Fall is meh, the Sherlock Holmes games are okay. Also, Dracula Origins was pretty good, but there are a few puzzles that will make you tear your hair out.

Dat Penumbra.
Dat Amnesia.
Dat Vampires: The Masquerade.
Dat Chtulhu Saves the World.

Dat... Trains vs Zombies?

I have a fuckton of games to play right now, so I'll probably just pick Penumbra as I've been waiting the Collector's Edition for a long time, but those tempt me a lot (And KF, but I'm pretty confident it'll be a daily during the Winter sale).

Cool deals, but the lack of Costume Quest hurts. Also, where's the TF2 Halloween event, Valve?

MRORANGE

Borderlands 75% off
Overlord Complete Pack 75% off
Killing Floor Bundle 66% off
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition 75% off
Zombie Bowl-o-Rama 66% off
Zombie Shooter 75% off
Atom Zombie Smasher 66% off
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime 50% off
Scratches - Director's Cut 66% 0ff
Devil May Cry® 3 Special Edition 50% off
SAW 66% off
Railworks 3: TS2012 + Trains vs Zombies 50% off
RIP - Trilogy™ 75% off
Trapped Dead 50% off
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle 75% off
Dungeons - The Dark Lord 50% off
Left 4 Dead 66% off
Dead Island 50% off
Terraria 50% off
Zombie Driver 75% off
Penumbra Collector Pack 75% off
Space Pirates and Zombies 25% off
Dark Fall: Lost Souls 75% off
Cthulhu Saves the World 33% off
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper 75% off
Silent Hill Homecoming 66% off
DUNGEONS - Steam Special Edition 66% off
Zombie Pirates 75% off
Rock of Ages 25% off
Zombie Shooter 2 75% off
Resident Evil™ 5 50% off
BioShock® 2 75% off
BioShock 75% off
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 80% off
Bunch of Heroes 25% off
Dracula Origin 75% off
Left 4 Dead 2 66% off
Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition 50% off
Dead Space Pack 66% off
Haunted House™ 75% off
F.E.A.R. 3 40% off
Dead Horde 33% off
Painkiller Complete Pack 75% off
Railworks 3: TS2012 - Trains vs Zombies DLC
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 75% off
Nation Red 66% off
Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned 75% off
Ghost Master® 75% off
Woody Two-Legs: Attack of the Zombie Pirates 75% off

GABE HAVE MERCY D:

morningbus

Detox said:
So how much is resi 5 in the US and is there a chance of a bigger sale during Christmas?

It's 9.99 and knowing Capcom, no, it probably won't go cheaper.

Blizzard

Banned
Tambini said:
I have £20 pounds to spend on this sale..

what do GAF? I'm looking at vampire and the bioshock games
The vampire masquerade game is supposed to be good. Bioshock 1 is supposed to be good. Bioshock 2 may or may not be good.

You need to tell us what kind of games you like, though, since otherwise people are just going to tell you that XYZ game is awesome when you may or may not enjoy it.

Tambini

Blizzard said:
The vampire masquerade game is supposed to be good. Bioshock 1 is supposed to be good. Bioshock 2 may or may not be good.

You need to tell us what kind of games you like, though, since otherwise people are just going to tell you that XYZ game is awesome when you may or may not enjoy it.

Is Killing Floor a good game?

froliq

Tambini said:
I have £20 pounds to spend on this sale..

what do GAF? I'm looking at vampire and the bioshock games
Get these:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Cthulhu Saves the World
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle
Terraria

and all that isn't even 20 pounds yet. You can also switch some out for the big titles like L4D/Dead Space/Bioshock

morningbus

3chopl0x said:
Dude wat.. Did you even read what he said?

He replied because he was the only one that responded to him. It was an additional question, not a comment on what was written.

As for Killing Floor: great with friends, may suck you in for weeks or months, but you'll eventually lose interest. It's worth it at that price, I'd say.

krzy123

Joe Molotov said:
Scratches is fucking awesome, Dark Fall is meh, the Sherlock Holmes games are okay. Also, Dracula Origins was pretty good, but there are a few puzzles that will make you tear your hair out.

Cool, thanks, I'll probably get Scratches, SH: Awakened, and the Drac game. I can deal w/ obtuse puzzles, playing The Longest Journey, at the moment.

Blizzard

Banned
morningbus said:
He replied because he was the only one that responded to him. It was an additional question, not a comment on what was written.

As for Killing Floor: great with friends, may suck you in for weeks or months, but you'll eventually lose interest. It's worth it at that price, I'd say.
Zambini, this is probably true of the Left 4 Dead games as well. They're both probably fun if you can find friends/neogaf people to co-op with and you like killing zombies, but they can get old after you play them (possibly after you play them for a long time).

If you like horror/suspense/adventure games as well as just normal zombie-killing games, then some of the suggestions from previous posts are good. STALKER and Bioshock are good FPS games that don't involve plain old zombies. Amnesia and Penumbra games also don't involve zombies, they're more...survival horror I guess?

Just to reiterate an un-recommendation since, as predicted, it went on sale for Halloween -- Silent Hill: Homecoming is a terrible port of a sub-standard game, don't be fooled by the low price.

morningbus

jim-jam bongs said:
Just to reiterate an un-recommendation since, as predicted, it went on sale for Halloween -- Silent Hill: Homecoming is a terrible port of a sub-standard game, don't be fooled by the low price.

$13.59 for a game from 2008 is not a low price, no matter what their B.S. "66%" off says!

Tambini

Thankyou guys, I decided to buy Bioshock, Stalker games, Vampire, Terriara and Killing Floor, putting me a pound over my budget, but who cares :)

Sorry if I should of mentioned I already own the L4D games and Amnesia.

Blizzard

Banned
Tambini said:
Thankyou guys, I decided to buy Bioshock, Stalker games, Vampire, Terriara and Killing Floor, putting me a pound over my budget, but who cares :)

Sorry if I should of mentioned I already own the L4D games and Amnesia.
Your choices sound good and should give you quite a bit of variety (well, nearly all FPS games, but they're different STYLES of FPS games :p).

Just a heads up, I think there is some sort of fan mod/fix/patch that makes Vampire the Masquerade better. I haven't tried it myself; can someone confirm this is it and new people should use it? http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

*edit* Oh, and there are STALKER fan patches too if you're so inclined. I seem to recall that STALKER *some year* complete is the usual one for Shadow of Chernobyl.

froliq

Blizzard said:
Your choices sound good and should give you quite a bit of variety (well, nearly all FPS games, but they're different STYLES of FPS games :p).

Just a heads up, I think there is some sort of fan mod/fix/patch that makes Vampire the Masquerade better. I haven't tried it myself; can someone confirm this is it and new people should use it? http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php
yes you definately need the unofficial patch for it

morningbus said:
$13.59 for a game from 2008 is not a low price, no matter what their B.S. "66%" off says!

Oh and also this, what the hell?

SteelAttack said:
Is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle recommended (SoC/CoP) or would I be better off with just Shadow of Chernobyl?

You may as well pick up both, COP didn't really resonate with me the way that SOC did, but as always ymmv.

Aaron

SteelAttack said:
Is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle recommended (SoC/CoP) or would I be better off with just Shadow of Chernobyl?
Both are great. Blue Sky is the game in the series not worth getting.

I'm going to ask in this thread too, what is a better buy, option 1 is FEAR and Penumbra Black Plague and option 2 is the Fear Collection. Budget is $7 so I feel like these are the best buys for that amount.

coopolon

I'd recommend everyone stay as far away as possible from Bioshock 2 on PC. It's a really terrible port. I'm actually partial to the game itself (another one I beat on 360 awhile ago and then repurchased for cheap on PC), the but the controls are pretty awful.

I'm not normally all that sensitive to mouse issues (i.e. I can't tell any difference when turning on and off vsync) but the mouse in that game is atrocious, even after turning off everything you can. And there is no native support for gamepad.

This does not bode well for XCOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom