• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

Even if 100% of the Greenlight votes for this game are people who just want to play it for free, and Valve decides the game quality is good enough...you end up with a game on Steam that maybe some people will play, and maybe some people will buy who didn't see it on Greenlight. What is bad about this situation? It doesn't hurt Valve any more than hosting Black Mesa or other free games, does it? In fact it should hurt them LESS if it's a niche game without many downloads, or a smaller game (less bandwidth than Black Mesa).
Given the fact that they're greenlighting 10 games a month (or something, not sure here, maybe it's not even a regular deadline but anyway it's some kind of limit) it could hurt other games, maybe more worthy.

I don't know, I see your point but I too am not too confortable with this "free game for votes" policy, it feels like cheating/bribing. I want more good games on Steam, I don't really care for more games period.

Blizzard

Banned
Given the fact that they're greenlighting 10 games a month (or something, not sure here, maybe it's not even a regular deadline but anyway it's some kind of limit) it could hurt other games, maybe more worthy.

I don't know, I see your point but I too am not too confortable with this "free game for votes" policy, it feels like cheating/bribing. I want more good games on Steam, I don't really care for more games period.
I understand that, and note that I personally do not even really want Postal 2 on Steam. I'm not interested in it. But ultimately the idea of Greenlight is for Valve to gauge interest in, and quality of, games that might have been previously overlooked. I understand that people have a sort of emotional reaction that it feels like cheating, but I do not see major rational arguments for it.

Arguments that I could see being raised against it:

• So many people will want a game for free that some other game will get pushed out (but, Valve doesn't have to limit themselves to 10 games per month, they do whatever they want, plus, who's to say your game is better than their game if there is more interest in their game -- that would mean that it's better for consumers AND Valve to pick the game that's not yours)
  • An iOS-style crash will happen, and no one will buy games if they're not free or under $2, there are so many games. (my response would be that this is already the case to an extent with people waiting for sales, but on the flip side Valve can throttle the number of games being admitted, watch their own sales and numbers, etc. -- Valve has flaws, but they LOVE their data and keep it close to the vest)

Heads up: Get Games' Get Loaded promotion is back.

Pick two of the following for £10/$15/12 Euros:

Binary Domain
Warhammer 40k Space Marine
Civilization V (vanilla)
Stronghold 3 Gold (crap)
Men of Honor Assult Squad GotY
Batman Arkham City GotY.

With the exception of Arkham City (which uses a standard Get Games downloader/installer type affair, and includes GfWL and SecuROM like all other versions), all of these games are provided as Steam codes. Good deal for UK folk who missed out on the GMG Binary Domain deal and want one of the other games in this selection. Myself, I'm leaning towards BD and Space Marine.

Offer ends in 39 and a half hours time, so get a move on.

R1CHO

I am actually quite shocked at how little interest there is in Carrier Command. It was released on Steam today and you wouldn't even know it if you look on Neogaf :-( . But hey who needs Carrier Command when there is Farming 2013.

Love Bohemia, but the game looks like a mix of poor rts + poor vehicle action... not gonna buy it for 40€, not without at least a demo.

Is there a known problem with Steam chat the last week?

Everytime I try to talk with friends it cuts out after a few seconds and one of us won't be able to hear the other anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure Valve have had rules against Mac versions being sold individually. Unless they made an exception with BLOPS we will probably see a lot of Mac ports in the coming months.

That's pretty lame they relaxing those restrictions. I guess if it means doing that or no Mac content, they really didn't have much of a choice, though.

Salsa

There is a key in this post.

HOLY SHIT I activated this and this showed up at my door:

580179667_tp.jpg
580179695_tp.jpg

thanks!!

Heads up: Get Games' Get Loaded promotion is back.

Pick two of the following for £10/$15/12 Euros:

Binary Domain
Warhammer 40k Space Marine
Civilization V (vanilla)
Stronghold 3 Gold (crap)
Men of Honor Assult Squad GotY
Batman Arkham City GotY.

With the exception of Arkham City (which uses a standard Get Games downloader/installer type affair, and includes GfWL and SecuROM like all other versions), all of these games are provided as Steam codes. Good deal for UK folk who missed out on the GMG Binary Domain deal and want one of the other games in this selection. Myself, I'm leaning towards BD and Space Marine.

Offer ends in 39 and a half hours time, so get a move on.

If anyone only wants one game from this promo, I'd be down for splitting one, as I own everything there but Strongold 3 Gold. I know people don't like it, but I still really want to try it out for sub $10.

Also, I really wanted that Dustforce code *sadface*. I love those type of games--I even finished Super Meat Boy--but I can't bring myself to pay full price for it, seeing as it'll likely be $3 or less in the next major Steam event :S.

Toki767

If anyone only wants one game from this promo, I'd be down for splitting one, as I own everything there but Strongold 3 Gold. I know people don't like it, but I still really want to try it out for sub $10.

Also, I really wanted that Dustforce code *sadface*. I love those type of games--I even finished Super Meat Boy--but I can't bring myself to pay full price for it, seeing as it'll likely be $3 or less in the next major Steam event :S.
I'll hook you up with a Dustforce code when I get home. Or someone here at least

You can get Dustforce for 5 or 6 bucks in the current Humble Bundle. It's well worth full price, let alone that, regardless of what price it's going to be later.

Toki767

Alright so who wants a Dustforce key? I don't want to just hide it or lurkers so I'll give it to one of the first 5 people to quote this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom