• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
Anyone know how I can force fullscreen on a game on my secondary monitor? I prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio for gaming but don't want to make it my primary since the larger resolution screen is better for everything else.

Lizardus

Guys, approximately how long will my HD6850 be good for? I am playing on 1680x1050 monitor with i7 2600 CPU.

She's been real good to me so far.

xJavonta

Banned
Guys, approximately how long will my HD6850 be good for? I am playing on 1680x1050 monitor with i7 2600 CPU.

She's been real good to me so far.

I'd say you're good for a couple more years if you keep the AA down. I think now is a great time to upgrade though, last-gen GPUs are cheaper than ever and this gen really isn't that expensive either. a 7850 will hold you for a long time.

Blizzard

Banned
Got my new ASUS HD 7870. Holy shit, this thing is quiet.

My HD 4850 feels like a airplane turbine in comparison.
I had the same experience going from a HD 4850 to like a HD 5850. I probably paid waaay too much for it, and nVidia's drivers are probably almost always better, but still...it was nice to find a card that seemed to actually be quiet, cool, AND fast. The 4850 was super loud and would go up to 100C or higher if I forgot to turn the fan up manually.

KarmaCow

I traded for XCOM with a guy and it popped up as XCOM World Wide in the activation window. Is there anything different about the worldwide version as opposed to what I assume would be the NA version if I bought in the store?

Also WTF at the 13GB download for XCOM? Is it filled with high quality multi-language voice overs or something?

I had the same experience going from a HD 4850 to like a HD 5850. I probably paid waaay too much for it, and nVidia's drivers are probably almost always better, but still...it was nice to find a card that seemed to actually be quiet, cool, AND fast. The 4850 was super loud and would go up to 100C or higher if I forgot to turn the fan up manually.

Same here, my HD 4850 was loud and hot. I always had to control the fan manually as well, which was a pain in the ass.

Glad those times are over.

def sim

I traded for XCOM with a guy and it popped up as XCOM World Wide in the activation window. Is there anything different about the worldwide version as opposed to what I assume would be the NA version if I bought in the store?

Also WTF at the 13GB download for XCOM? Is it filled with high quality multi-language voice overs or something?

IIRC it's all the (uncompressed?) videos.

MRORANGE

Currently living with a 4850 for over 4 years, can't wait for the day I can throw this card out of the window.

Same here, my HD 4850 was loud and hot. I always had to control the fan manually as well, which was a pain in the ass.

Picked up a passive cooler heat sink (Accelero S1 Rev2 IIRC) for like $30 for my 4850 awhile back when I had it and it solved that issue completely- no fan noise since there wasn't an fans and low temps (65C under load)

Sober

My 6870 is much more reasonable though I have the XFX one with the giant heatsink and fan attached to it, so maybe I'm actually wrong, but I couldn't control the fan on my 4850 for some reason.

I also had a 6600GT, which ran hot like the sun and was wind tunnel loud. Maybe I just like loud videocards OHGODHELPME.

Salsa

that 670 I posted way back got sent to RMA (cause it was a FTW LE instead of a regular FTW, even though I paid for the good model) and they got back to me a couple days ago saying that if I pay a $20 difference I can get either an EVGA 680 or an ASUS DCII 670. the EVGA one is at stock right now so I'd just need to go there, the ASUS is "coming soon"

gonna decide tomorrow. Asus would probably mean quieter and less possbility of coil whine but im fuckin tired of waiting. Been without the card for like a month now

Lizardus

that 670 I posted way back got sent to RMA (cause it was a FTW LE instead of a regular FTW, even though I paid for the good model) and they got back to me a couple days ago saying that if I pay a $20 difference I can get either an EVGA 680 or an ASUS DCII 670. the EVGA one is at stock right now so I'd just need to go there, the ASUS is "coming soon"

gonna decide tomorrow. Asus would probably mean quieter and less possbility of coil whine but im fuckin tired of waiting. Been without the card for like a month now

Get the 680, motherfucker.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I finally went past the point of my lost Darksiders save, on my way to Gerudo Desert the Ashlands. 5hrs in, how much do I have left?

If you've reached the Ashlands after five hours, I'm assuming you're not going out of your way to collect crap, in which case you're about a third of your way through the game.

Edit: Apparently, Lego LoTR is Steamworks; both GMG and GamersGate list a Steam account as a requirement.

Point Lookout was terrible. Just seems like wasted potential, the core idea of the main quest line in the add-on is kind of interesting but
the 200 year old struggle between Desmond and Calvert wasn't really explained, at all.
All of the main characters were pretty poorly written,
Desmond was downright unlikable and had horrible voice acting to boot

PaulLFC

680 would be better surely? It's a fair bit more expensive than a 670 here so it sounds like a good deal.

Then again I'm still running a 460 GTX so yeah
3AQmK.gif

The Pitt seems to be pretty promising although it's devolved to arena combat, which smacks of filler. We'll see how long it goes on for and what's in store after.

deejay

I bought myself a 660Ti Power Edition a few days ago and in my opinion that was just a waste of money. It runs terrible so far. Framedrops all over the place and I even have to lower my settings at times. I had a GTX480 before so I expected a bit more performance out of it, or at least a similar performance. Even that card could run practically anything I threw at it without too many hiccups.
Now I paid more for less. Whut? That just ain't right.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sine Mora looks gorgeous on ultra settings and at 60fps, but what's up with the black bars? Also, no resolution options? :(

The game was intended to run in a cinematic aspect ratio, according to one of the devs. Hence the black bars. Not a big fan of it myself, no plans to remove offiically.

Resolution wise, the game auto scales to your desktop's resolution and refresh rate. However, it has an internal renderer that outputs based on the setting you choose for graphics (Normal would be for 720p res, Ultra for 1080p).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wouldn't say that :/

I'm not sure how that registers on the "collecting everything" scale since it's been a while since I've played the game, but make sure you at least find all the Abyssal Armour pieces (although I suppose its benefits aren't particularly useful if you're ploughing through the game on Normal). In any case, the outfit looks far better than its Darksiders 2 counterpart.

There's no way to sort your Steam library by purchase date, is there?

No, but you can see your subscription history by clicking [account name]'s account -> Account Details (or, if you're logged in within a web browser, click here).

I'm not sure how that registers on the "collecting everything" scale since it's been a while since I've played the game, but make sure you at least find all the Abyssal Armour pieces (although I suppose its benefits aren't particularly useful if you're ploughing through the game on Normal). In any case, the outfit looks far better than its Darksiders 2 counterpart.

I should have picked Hard but I was afraid it'd be just more HP for enemies and the shooting sections would probably be even less fun. Not a huge deal.

I'll make sure to get that armour though.

Miker

I should have picked Hard but I was afraid it'd be just more HP for enemies and the shooting sections would probably be even less fun. Not a huge deal.

I'll make sure to get that armour though.

Completely forgot about those shooting sections. So weird to think that the closest thing we've gotten to Panzer Dragoon came from Darksiders, of all games.

Completely forgot about those shooting sections. So weird to think that the closest thing we've gotten to Panzer Dragoon came from Darksiders, of all games.

Oh god, there's more of that?! I was thinking about the TPS sections where you get a huge ass gun to blast around.

Also Sin & Punishment 2 is as close to PD as the sections in Darksiders but an infinitely better game.

Miker

Oh god, there's more of that?! I was thinking about the TPS sections where you get a huge ass gun to blast around.

Also Sin & Punishment 2 is as close to PD as the sections in Darksiders but an infinitely better game.

I think there's only one griffon/PD section in the game. And I haven't played S&P2 :(

Salsa

My ASUS DCUII has a terrible coil whine. The fans are decent but the whine when playing games is ridiculously loud.

it fucking sucks so bad that there's no way of escaping this with high-end cards.. ASUS even does the whole solid choke thing wich supposedly should make everything vibrate a lot less (thus eliminating coil whine) but it's still very much just luck of the draw

fucking hate it

HoosTrax

it fucking sucks so bad that there's no way of escaping this with high-end cards.. ASUS even does the whole solid choke thing wich supposedly should make everything vibrate a lot less (thus eliminating coil whine) but it's still very much just luck of the draw

fucking hate it
Hmm I only have this issue when I'm Folding on my ASUS GTX570 (the squealing noise is pretty noticeable), but never when I'm gaming.

Nabs

It looks like the Scribblenauts Unlimited pre-order should be going up soon. I almost forgot about that one.

Wok

Build a Bundle 4 soon.
  • Orczz - Desura (Greenlight)
  • Vitrum - Desura (Greenlight)
  • Qasir Al-Wasat: a Night In-Between - Desura (Greenlight)
  • Zombies - Desura (Greenlight)
  • Stellar Impact - Steam
  • Men of War - Steam
  • Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood - Steam
  • Fantasy Wars - Steam
  • Velvet Assassin - Steam

The bundle is live.

And if you need a suggestion for a second game (you have to choose min 2 games and pay min 1.50$ for this bundle), I highly suggest Quasir (an indie game released in August, made in Brazil, and finalist for IndieCade 2012) so that you can enjoy the game and upvote it on Greenlight. It is only on Desura for this bundle, but there is a small hope we would find a Steam key on the Desura Steam-keys page if the game is greenlit. There is a demo for Windows and Mac, and I would have expected this game in a HIB if only there were a Linux build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom