• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god whatever you do don't leave this thread, reading down the first page list sounds like an ambulance.

I only need like 1 game this season, FTL.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spotflux does not seem to work unfortunately.

I really hate this. Actually, I usually don't even have the time to play during the us exclusive release window, but the possibility to try a game out and be in on the initial discussions was nice. Before I was convinced that Valve was on the side of the user, providing the geographical restrictions as lip service to the retail chains with no serious technical enforcement of the rules. This makes me question my assumptions. I doubt that "play early through vpn scene" is large enough to be of interest for the retail chaines. Why would they insist on increased security? Seems to be no monetary gain in it for them. My guess would that some programmer at Valve is really proud of himself for making the service "more secure" and "preventing abuse" and so on, totally ignoring the badwill this will cause among european hardcore customers.

Yeah, I can't say I'm happy about this development. I tried the latest version of Spotflux and not only was it unsuccessful with Steam but it also caused Win7's network icon to report no internet access despite the fact I could browse websites and such just fine. I had marginally better luck with an older version, with Steam's updates/news pop-up window telling me that Steam Wallet codes are now available at Best Buy or whatever (and Win7 didn't falsely report a network issue), but the Steam Store was still the Australian variant.

Edit: I'm assuming the recent backend work to see through VPN usage was done to combat those who self-gift between accounts in order to bypass local pricing, but it's still a big blow to those of us who used a VPN simply to play a game before its artificially belated release date (e.g. Australia tends to get games a few days later than the US) or activate region-locked keys (e.g. Amazon's Inversion keys).

I can't wait until retail completely loses its grip on PC gaming.

Having Hitman Absolution in my library, fully downloaded, and not being able to play it is bullshit.

Someone I know is playing the pirated game on his PS3 as I'm writing this post. It's the PS3 version but still!

Daily Deal is I am Alive $8.99 USD

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214250/

d00d3n

Edit: I'm assuming the recent backend work to see through VPN usage was done to combat those who self-gift between accounts in order to bypass local pricing, but it's still a big blow to those of us who used a VPN simply to play a game before its artificially belated release date (e.g. Australia tends to get games a few days later than the US) or activate region-locked keys (e.g. Amazon's Inversion keys).

Yeah, I agree, that seems like a likely reason.

I guess that there is still the possibility that someone is able to bypass this. Any theories on how Valve is doing it? Locking in users in country specific stores based on currency used in past purchases? Or are they able to detect that a vpn is being used in some way? Recognition of known ips from vpn providers? (seems unlikely considering how broadly this has hit) Detecting some other technical detail of vpn usage?

Boris

Neo Member
Damn, why'd I have to miss that THQ deal? Just got back to PC gaming after a decade and would have loved to grab Stalker and the rest at that price. :(

Miker

Damn, why'd I have to miss that THQ deal? Just got back to PC gaming after a decade and would have loved to grab Stalker and the rest at that price. :(

Go to CAG, check out the Steam trading thread in the master trade lists forum, and you'll find tons of people selling the games for $2-3 each.

Well, the Hookups steam group is telling me that the Autumn sale will be from 21 to 27 Nov.

Grain of salt and all that but it sounds reasonable.

HoosTrax

All of a sudden, I'm getting random invites from Russian Dota 2 players. I hate trade spam...

I don't think I even have anything that interesting other than the dragonclaw Pudge hook.

derExperte

Any recommendation for that game?

In this case it's especially hard to give a recommendation to someone whose tastes I don't know. I liked it and thought that the atmosphere, depressing setting and interesting (while not very well executed) gameplay ideas like the fights made up for a lot of janky stuff but there's a lot to hate and get frustrated by.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Sonic Adventure 2 is up on Steam.

Alternatively, you could listen to City Escape on Youtube and save yourself from that terrible game.

All of a sudden, I'm getting random invites from Russian Dota 2 players. I hate trade spam...

I don't think I even have anything that interesting other than the dragonclaw Pudge hook.

That's actually one of the more valuable items.

If you aren't interested in trading, set your backpack to private via the profile options.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight's gonna be a long night. I've got to beat 1.6 million points in Hitman Sniper Challenge, and finish the last 2 or 3 missions of Blood Money as stealthily as I can, before Absolution's release. And at the same time, try to convince myself not to buy anything at the autumn sale.

derExperte

Hey guys, does 8 GB of ram make a big difference for gaming compared to 4 GB?

What should I expect?

Do you play BF3? That's one game that really needs 8GB and while others will work okay with less the overall gaming experience (load times eg) is much better with more RAM.

Nabs

I may be late on this, but this is weird. This was found in the registry: THQ Humble Bundle Core. Right now it has Red Faction: Armageddon, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes (OF+ToV), and Darksiders.

Sober

I may be late on this, but this is weird. This was found in the registry: THQ Humble Bundle Core. Right now it has Red Faction: Armageddon, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes (OF+ToV), and Darksiders.
Sounds like THQ is being super trolled.

Can't wait to see it and then everyone buying all those games and pushing the slider to 0 cents for THQ or something. So I doubt that'll ever happen.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Doesn't beat Amazon's THQ thing

nexen

YES. SPEC OPS is finally mine for a stupid price.

Damn, this holiday is going to be brutal I guess.
Already spent like $20 and the sales really haven't even started.

Getting money any way they can (what does a HIB get, like $2m?, does that amount even matter?), or being nice and getting their games on everyone's Steam account before they're removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom