• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

tumblr_mprr0pHvXS1qe8quqo1_250.gif

DON-DRAPER-PUKES.gif

gabbo

Does anyone in this thread like getting Steam Achievements?

For some reason I hate Playstation Trophies (used to love them), but now I'm finding Steam achievements fun to go for. Maybe it's because I can feel good even when I don't 100% a game, whereas on the PS3, if I didn't get the platinum trophy, I didn't feel like I was done. Weird.

I liked them back when they unlocked codes/special content, like in the days up to and including the N64 (DKMode/Akimbo in 007GE64 for example), but as a way to determine some kind of gamer rank, no. I disregard them almost entirely.

gabbo

I find it extremely hard to believe that someone over the age of 20 has only played games on a PC ever.

I'm asking because I never played them on the consoles, and my primary gaming system since i was about 10 has been a pc. That would be how I never came into contact with them

nexen

I never liked the side-scrolling Castlevanias. I'm really interested in this one though.

I tried to play the NES ones on an emulator recently and couldn't get into them at all. The PSX one seemed ok.

nexen

Castlevania 3 holds up really well.

I'll give it another try but having no nostalgia for the series really makes it a chore to visit the earlier games.

edit: I'm mostly interested in the new ones because I think MercurySteam is an underrated dev. They did a lot of things right in Jericho.

Downloading the Castlevania demo now, I might pick it up but I recall the start of the game being really slow and going on forever. It's the only bit I remember though.

That and
Eu Sunt Dracul!

The_Monk

Great Coffee & Cookies, Steam-GAF amazing-kind-polite-friendly-Community and some good old Defense Grid gameplay. Yep, today is relaxing day. Feel good.

Also, fellow GAFfer Stump is it possible to see how many GAFfers entered in the Bioshock raffle? Just curious to see the ration between people who post here every now and then VS people who entered in the contest. Thanks in advance.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The annoying thing is that there are collectibles (vehicle parts, weapon parts and cash stashes), water towers, fuel pumps, etc. scattered throughout non-settlement locations, but as far as I can tell the game offers no hints as to their whereabouts, so I'm not going to bother chasing them down (Edit: You obviously have the proximity indicator for the aforementioned collectibles, but you need to be in the vicinity for it to be of any use). Also, I've read that the world file the game reads from is missing the final water tower that actually adds to the completion percentage, but it can be added via a mod.
Thanks for posting about that final tower, if I ever got to that point and wasn't aware it was missing I'd be sort of pissed haha. Good thing it can be added through modding.

Didn't know there were collectibles in non-settlement areas either, kind of shitty since you only have the proximity radar.

nexen

Great Coffee & Cookies, Steam-GAF amazing-kind-polite-friendly-Community and some good old Defense Grid gameplay. Yep, today is relaxing day. Feel good.

Also, fellow GAFfer Stump is it possible to see how many GAFfers entered in the Bioshock raffle? Just curious to see the ration between people who post here every now and then VS people who entered in the contest. Thanks in advance.

He's dumped lists before during the steam sale.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I can put my feet wherever I want, I'm a bloody Pirate! :D
Or, well, not officially. Yet. But i'm getting there!

In other news; Free Mutant Blobs with Guacamelee? Awesome!
Makes a brilliant deal even better, two great games for a lot less money then it's worth.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

For some reason I hate Playstation Trophies (used to love them), but now I'm finding Steam achievements fun to go for. Maybe it's because I can feel good even when I don't 100% a game, whereas on the PS3, if I didn't get the platinum trophy, I didn't feel like I was done. Weird.
I do. As long as I'm having fun and it's a game I enjoy, I'll do everything. I usually want to keep playing anyway, so anything is an "excuse" to continue messing around. :p

Not on PC, but I remember in KH1 on the PS2 I kept going and going after I beat it, synthesizing everything, maxing out Sora's stats, etc, just for the sake of it. There were no achievements but I kept doing random crap because I liked it so much. Same for TWEWY more recently, both on DS and iOS. If there's a pop-up and a some arbitrary mark to strive towards, then all the better. I know it's looked down upon by some players and is seen as "artificially lengthening the game" but I just enjoy this sort of stuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC,

Could you possibly explain your obsession interest in Ms. Saoirse?

Is she your waifu?

It manifested suddenly when I was channel surfing one afternoon a little over two years ago now and happened upon this interview. Having no idea who she was at the time, I looked her up afterwards and had my mind blown when I discovered that she was the girl from The Lovely Bones... and City of Ember... and Atonement.

Kifimbo

Another update. Still a lot of work to do. Thanks to everyone for spotting errors and adding informations.

Games of July 2013

07/29/2013 - CastleStorm - Tower Defense - Zen Studios/Zen Studios - $9.99
07/29/2013 - Skulls of the Shogun - Turn-based strategy - 17-BIT/17-BIT - $14.99
07/30/2013 - Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - RPG - UIG Entertainment/Crafty Studios - $19.99
07/30/2013 - Cannon Brawl - Action/Strategy - Turtle Sandbox/Turtle Sandbox - $9.99 (2-Pack for $14.99)

07/31/2013 - Rise of the Triad - FPS - Apogee/Interceptor Entertainment - $14.99
07/31/2013 - Cloudberry Kingdom - Platformer - Ubisoft/Pwnee Studios - $9.99
07/31/2013 - Narco Terror - Twin-Stick shooter - Deep Silver/Rubicon Organization - $9.99 (2-Pack for 14.99$)

Games of August 2013

08/01/2013 - Take On Mars - Simulation - Bohemia Interactive/Bohemia Interactive - $XX.XX
08/06/2013 - Divinity: Dragon Commander - SRPG - Larian Studios/Larian Studios - $39.99 (4-Pack for $119.99)
08/06/2013 - Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians - Music/Action/Adventure - Threaks - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/08/2013 - Spelunky - Platformer - Microsoft/Mossmouth - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg
DGaGzkv.jpg

08/08/2013 - Guacamelee! Gold Edition - Platformer - Drinkbox/Drinkbox - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/13/2013 - DuckTales Remastered - Platformer - Capcom/WayForward - $14.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/13/2013 - Europa Universalis IV - Strategy - Paradox Interactive/Paradox Development Studio - $39.99
08/15/2013 - Worms Clan Wars - Strategy - Team17/Team17 - $24.99
08/15/2013 - Space Hulk - Strategy - Full Control Studios/Full Control Studios - $29.99
08/16/2013 - PAYDAY 2 - FPS - 505 Games /Overkill Software - $29.99 (4-Pack for $89.99$)
08/18/2013 - Disney Infinity - Platformer/Sandbox - Disney/Avalanche Software - $XX.XX
08/20/2013 - Divekick - Fighting - Iron Galaxy Studios/Iron Galaxy Studios - $9.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/20/2013 - The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Squad-based TPS - 2K Games/2K Marin - $44.99
08/20/2013 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - Action/Stealth - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Toronto - $59.99
08/20/2013 - Saints Row IV - Open World Action - Deep Silver/Volition - $49.99 -
08/22/2013 - Neverwinter: Fury of the Feywild - F2P MMORPG - Perfect World/Cryptic Studios - $19.99
08/22/2013 - Skullgirls - Fighting - Marvelous/Lab Zero Games - $14.99 -
uO5LKg2.jpg

08/27/2013 - Lost Planet 3 - TPS - Capcom/Spark Unlimited - $49.99
08/27/2013 - Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn - MMORPG - Square Enix/Square Enix - $29.99
08/27/2013 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition - Action/Adventure - Konami/MercurySteam - $XX.XX
08/28/2013 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - Activision/Red Fly Studios - $14.99
08/30/2013 - Rayman Legends - Platformer - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montpellier - $XX.XX -
uO5LKg2.jpg

Games of September 2013

09/03/2013 - Total War: Rome II - Strategy - SEGA/Creative Assembly - $59.95
09/04/2013 - Outlast - Survival horror - Red Barrels/Red Barrels - $19.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/10/2013 - Young Justice: Legacy - Action/RPG - Warner Bros./Little Orbit - $XX.XX
09/17/2013 - MechWarrior Online - Mech Action - Infinite Game Publishing/Piranha Games - F2P
09/24/2013 - Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - Platformer/Puzzle - Warner Bros./5th Cell - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

09/24/2013 - Rambo: The Video Game - FPS - Reef Entertainment/Teyon - $XX.XX
09/24/2013 - FIFA 14 - Sports - Electronic Arts/EA Canada - $39.99
09/27/2013 - Alien Rage - FPS - City Interactive/City Interactive - $XX.XX
09/27/2013 - Deadfall Adventures - FPS - Nordic Games/Farm 51 - $XX.XX
09/27/2013 - Rise of Venice - Simulation - Kalypso/Gaming Minds - $XX.XX

Games of October 2013

10/01/2013 - NBA 2K14 - Sports - 2K Games/Visual Concepts - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

10/03/2013 - F1 2013 - Racing - Codemasters/Codemasters - $XX.XX
10/22/2013 - Rocksmith 2014 - Music - Ubisoft/Ubisoft San Francisco - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

10/24/2013 - Raven's Cry - RPG - TopWare Interactive/Octane Games - $XX.XX
10/25/2013 - Batman: Arkham Origins - Action/Adventure - Warner Bros./Warner Bros. Games Montreal - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures - Platformer - Namco Bandai/Namco Bandai - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Battlefield 4 - FPS - Electronic Arts/Digital Illusions CE (DICE) - $XX.XX
10/29/2013 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Open World Action - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal - $XX.XX

Games of November 2013

11/05/2013 - Call of Duty: Ghosts - FPS - Activision/Infinity Ward - $59.99
11/19/2013 - Need for Speed Rivals - Racing - Electronic Arts/Ghost Games - $49.99
11/19/2013 - Watch_Dogs - Open World Action - Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal - $XX.XX

Games of 2013

2013 - Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst - Fighting - Namco Bandai/CyberConnect2 - $XX.XX
2013 - South Park: The Stick of Truth - RPG - Ubisoft/Obsidian Entertainment - $XX.XX
2013 - Contagion - FPS- Monochrome Games/Monochrome Games - $XX.XX
2013 - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Platformer - SEGA/SEGA Studios Australia - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Electronic Super Joy - Platformer - Michael Todd Games/Michael Todd Games $4.99
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ - Action - Namco Bandai Games/Namco Bandai Games - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Pac-Man Museum - Action- Namco Bandai Games/Namco Bandai Games - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Wasteland 2 - RPG - inXile Entertainment/inXile Entertainment - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Gone Home - Adventure - The Fullbright Company/The Fullbright Company - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - The Banner Saga - SRPG- Stoic Games/Stoic Games - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Chaos Chronicles - RPG - bitComposer Games/Coreplay - $XX.XX ***POSSIBLY CANCELLED***
2013 - Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - Platformer- Asteroid Base/Asteroid Base - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

2013 - Tetrobot and Co. - Puzzle - Swing Swing Submarine/Swing Swing Submarine - $XX.XX
2013 - Divinity: Original Sin - RPG- Larian Studios/Larian Studios - $XX.XX
DGaGzkv.jpg

2013 - Carmageddon: Reincarnation - Vehicular combat - Stainless Games - $XX.XX
DGaGzkv.jpg

2013 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep - MMORPG - Warner Bros./Turbine - $XX.XX
2013 - Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - Sports - Konami/Konami - $XX.XX
2013 - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Action/Adventure - Warner Bros./TT Games - $XX.XX
2013 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - Survival horror - Frictional Games/thechineseroom - $XX.XX
2013 - Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! - Action/Adventure - D3Publisher/WayForward - $XX.XX
2013 - WildStar - MMORPG- NCsoft- Carbine Studios - $XX.XX
2013 - The Wolf Among Us - Adventure - Telltale Games/Telltale Games - $XX.XX
2013 - The Sims 3: Into the Future - Simulation - Electronic Arts/The Sims Studio - $XX.XX
2013 - Mech Mice - Strategy - Hyper Hippo Productions/Hyper Hippo Productions - $XX.XX
2013 - Blackguards - Turn-based RPG - Daedalic/Daedalic - $XX.XX
2013 - How to Survive - Survival/Action - 505 Games/EKO Studios - $XX.XX
2013 - The Novelist - Puzzle - Orthogonal Games/Orthogonal Games - $14.99
2013 - Memoria - Adventure - Deep Silver/Daedalic - $XX.XX
2013 - Mistborn: Birthright - Action/RPG - Little Orbit/Little Orbit - $XX.XX
2013 - LEGO Legends of Chima Online - MMORPG- Warner Bros/Warner Bros. Games Montreal - F2P
2013 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Action - Konami/PlatinumGames - $XX.XX
2013 - Goodbye Deponia - Adventure - Daedalic/Daedalic - $XX.XX
2013 - Bound by Flame - Action/RPG - Focus Home/Spiders - $XX.XX
2013 - Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty - Platformer- Oddworld Inhabitants/Just Add Water - $XX.XX
2013 - Wolfenstein: The New Order - FPS- Bethesda/Machinegames - $XX.XX
2013 - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments - Adventure - Focus Home/Frogwares - $XX.XX
2013 - Octodad: Dadliest Catch - Adventure - Young Horses/Young Horses - $XX.XX
2013 - State of Decay - Survival horror- Microsoft/Undead Labs - $XX.XX
2013 - Nuclear Union - RPG- 1C Company/Best Way - $XX.XX
2013 - Takedown: Red Sabre - Tactical FPS - 505 Games/Serellan - $XX.XX
2013 - Another Castle - Platformer- Uncade/Uncade - $XX.XX

Games of Q1 2014

Q1 2014 - Broken Age Part 1 - Adventure - Double Fine/Double Fine - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

Q1 2014 - Murdered: Soul Suspect - Action/Adventure - Square Enix/Airtight - $XX.XX
Q1 2014 - Dark Souls II - RPG - Namco Bandai/FROM Software - Dark Souls - $XX.XX
Q1 2014 - The Crew - Racing - Ubisoft/Ivory Tower - $XX.XX

Games of Q2 2014

Q2 2014 - Project Eternity - RPG - Obsidian Entertainment/Obsidian Entertainment - $XX.XX
uO5LKg2.jpg

Games of Q4 2014

Q4 2014 - Dreamfall Chapters - Adventure - Red Thread Games/Red Thread Games - $XX.XX
Q4 2014 - Massive Chalice - Tactical RPG - Double Fine/Double Fine - $XX.XX

Games of 2014

2014 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - RPG- CD Projekt RED/CD Projekt RED - $XX.XX

Dawg

It manifested suddenly when I was channel surfing one afternoon a little over two years ago now and happened upon this interview. Having no idea who she was at the time, I looked her up afterwards and had my mind blown when I discovered that she was the girl from The Lovely Bones... and City of Ember... and Atonement.

I had the same with Diane Kruger after seeing the Troy: Director's Cut

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's the last Castlevania you played?
I never played Symphony of the Night, nor any of the DS ones. Please don't kill me :(

EDIT: nor the GBA ones. Basically, I only played the first few stages of C1 and 3, 2 minutes of C2 and some stages of Super Castlevania IV (which was great), all on the Wii VC.

It is being obscure for the sake of it, because it's something that you can't find in games today and some people really love it - maybe you're just not among them, that's entirely possible. In the same way that some people like open-world over authored corridors and vice-versa, maybe you just prefer a bit of guidance, when the aim of this game is specifically to provide none at all. But: there is no luck at all, it is pure observation and deduction and assimilation, and the way the game presents more mysteries as you unravel previous ones can be truly engrossing and it shows that it's not just a case of "random game with hidden rules", it's an experience carefully crafted around the concept of discovery. The author knows that when you find out about X, you'll stumble on Y and it will blow your mind.
I like your description of the game, even if I didn't enjoy what little I played of it. I'll give it another chance, and hopefully it'll click with me then.

Grief.exe

by people who don't know any better

PoR + DoS forever

I actually made a thread last year to ask what the best portable Castlevanias were.

The consensus was Aria of Sorrow and Order of Eclesia was the best, and Dawn of Sorrow being great as well.

Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Despair were skippable.

Don't remember the consensus on Circle of the Moon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I love them. I usually skim the 100% breakdowns from the X360 achievement/PS3 trophy guides (the benefits of mutliplatform games) to decide if I want to go for all the achievements too.

I was planning on 100%ing Bioshock Infinite until the most recent DLC ruined that desire.

DukeBobby

GAF confession:

I've never played a Final Fantasy game before, except for about an hour of XIII.

I've played Castlevania and Metroid games before, so I'm not a bad person.

Acccent

Do you have a concussion or something?
Portrait? Ew, no. Hell no.

Ecclesia is where it's at.
Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Despair were skippable.

My thoughts on this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=71409386&highlight=#post71409386

Everything post Aria (including it) beats SOTN. Symphony of the Night is an amazing game but it is CONSTANTLY hailed as the best Castlevania when it's clearly been surpassed for a long time now (OoT syndrome much?)

I'd like to talk about Portrait of Ruin. What a masterpiece. It's such a shame that people fail to see how brilliant it is. Okay, it had a bad story and bad character art and overall the atmosphere is kinda lacking when compared to the rest of the franchise; I don't mean to claim that it's perfect in every way, it has many flaws.
But gameplay-wise, it is the absolute best. It is incredibly smooth, the weapons all have a perfect feel and are super varied, and having the two characters allows a kind of flow that's not been matched by any other Metroidvania that I know of. It is simultaneously rigid and precise on one hand, and super dynamic on the other, like playing two instances of Dark Souls at the same time if you see what I mean. I think the devs tried to replicate this with OoE's dual-wielding, but obviously it wasn't as successful, even though the resulting system is kinda interesting. The gameplay, the level and monster design, the mechanics of Portrait of Ruin stand head and shoulders above that of any other Castlevania.

It's such a shame that, yeah, the characters are dense and the story blows.

There's some interesting discussion in the replies.

Dawg

GAF confession:

I've never played a Final Fantasy game before, except for about an hour of XIII.

I've only played that gamecube version where you could play with 4 players or so. That one and XIII, which I didn't like that much.

Played both Kingdom Hearts on PS2 though.

XShagrath

Last time I'll post this, promise.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock Infinite -- MB-8E5A485575B98128 - Taken by PriitV

I won't be available to edit all my old posts until a little later today, as I'm going to pick up a new boardgame soon and am gonna play that.

So I'm at 17 hours in on Rage. Almost done with the campaign, finished the scorchers, and had a few hours of multiplayer.

So worth it. Not getting the hate it gets. I heard the ending sucked, but I'm not about to hate a game for that alone.

Cth

GAF confession:

I played the gameboy classic one and got halfway through FF7 (PC).

I think I started the first hour or two of FF-XIII.

My wife was more into them.

Never played the Kingdom Hearts series either.

/am I excommunicated yet? :D

I like getting achievements on Steam, but I feel like Valve doesn't care about them much and there is so much more they could be doing in Steam with them (in terms of community and profiles, etc.). The Achievement Showcase is a good new addition though.

chronomac

I've only played a few hours of Final Fantasy III, V and X. I've thought about going back and giving them all a shot but never really had the motivation.

HoosTrax

There's some interesting discussion in the replies.
My main complaints re: OoE and PoR is that they felt more like Disney-franchise games with Metroidvania gameplay than they did a proper Castlevania game. That "atmosphere" and character art thing you alluded to.

SoTN, on the other hand, was much too easy of a game, although that was partly the fault of the player if they went out of their way to level grind or farm Crissaegrim.

Personally, I think the one that doesn't get enough love was Circle of the Moon. Which is probably understandable since it stars a random no-name, forgettable character. But I loved the dark, gothic art style.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

117 unique entries, but it doesn't try to apply any of the per-raffle rules (like the no lurkers rule) until it draws for a winner, so not sure how many are valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom