• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm unsure if I should start Aquaria or Fez later today, I want to play the shorter game first and initially don't plan on using guides for either. The average in HLTB says Aquaria is the longer game, requiring more than twice as many hours than Fez for main and main+extras, but I heard Fez has some hairsplitting puzzles that may take a long time to solve and a lot of wandering.

Yup, I found Fez simultaneously super frustrating and boring. There was just too much backtracking, and the map is terrible at guiding you anywhere. I got to a point where I had to solve some hard ass puzzles, and was mostly just getting frustrated trying to find my way around, so I quit. Music is great though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Soo someone convince me not to spend 100$ on dota 2 international keys in hopes of finding one of the 3 rare couriers in there ; ; (Extremely low drop chance).

Do you want to be known as the guy who bought $100 worth of DOTA keys, but struggled with a $1 to $5 Humble Bundle purchase?

Acccent

Fez is really really obtuse. I had to put it on the shelf because it was starting to stress me out.

I think Aquaria while having a bit more content is probably more of a relaxing experience.

It really depends on what kind of game/experience you like. I enjoy so much playing Fez and wandering in its world, I actually often miss it and launch the game or listen to the OST even though I know both by heart.

Tenrius

Some random guy added me on Steam and ask to help him with Doom 3: BFG Edition. It was pretty awkward:

techsupports9kyj.png

The only thing I posted in that ATI fix thread is "Dude, you just redeemed my evening. Thank you so much!". How in the world did this insightful comment lead him into believing I was the one person able to help him? Or was he just messaging everyone in that thread?

Vargavinter

Yup, I found Fez simultaneously super frustrating and boring. There was just too much backtracking, and the map is terrible at guiding you anywhere. I got to a point where I had to solve some hard ass puzzles, and was mostly just getting frustrated trying to find my way around, so I quit. Music is great though.
Its a shame, Fez is one of the best games i played. I found the puzzles to be brilliant and fun. About the map, i had troubles at first as well but a friend to me pointed out that you could navigate from zone to zone looking in the horizont since you can see the where the doors lead to.

Dolor

I have not even played any of the other Total War games yet.

wut?

Total War games are one of the premier strategy franchises around (certainly rivals Civilization in my opinion).

Not recommending you buy Rome 2 sight unseen, but if you like strategy games at all (real time or turn based), you should definitely pick up Shogun 2 or the original Rome on a sale some time. You will get many more hours of potential enjoyment and replayability out of them than just about any standard AAA shooter.

Grief.exe

Sorry if this has been posted already. Interesting retrospective from two tribes to launching toki tori 2 near the summer sale.

It led to a clash between offering a discount for early adopters and being able to be a Daily Deal. “The thing is, Valve needs the daily deal to be a really good deal. They haven’t said this in so many words, but my take is that it has to have the highest discount on your title yet in order to be considered. And we knew we had a shot of being featured on the opening day.

“If we would have launched on the 2nd, our launch discount would have to be lower than the one offered during the Summer Sale just nine days later,” continues van Ginkel. “Basically this would mean our early adopters, the ones who stuck with us during our protracted development period, would be screwed over.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Coll..._2_Steam_Summer_Sale_Launch_Retrospective.php

Nymphae

Banned
Its a shame, Fez is one of the best games i played. I found the puzzles to be brilliant and fun. About the map, i had troubles at first as well but a friend to me pointed out that you could navigate from zone to zone looking in the horizont since you can see the where the doors lead to.

The puzzles were well done & I can absolutely see why people like the game, I guess I just don't enjoy this type of game as much as I thought I would.

I'm not sure I fully understand your point about the map. I haven't played it in a while and I forget exactly how it operates, but are you saying it's possible to actually track what doors go where from the map screen? I remember just looking at the map, seeing that there was an exit I hadn't found in the area I was currently in, and then scratching my head looking for the right door to lead to the section of the map I want to get to.

Acccent

I'm not sure I fully understand your point about the map. I haven't played it in a while and I forget exactly how it operates, but are you saying it's possible to actually track what doors go where from the map screen? I remember just looking at the map, seeing that there was an exit I hadn't found in the area I was currently in, and then scratching my head looking for the right door to lead to the section of the map I want to get to.

When you're on an island, all the doors that you see (ie on the walls facing the camera) lead to the island that you can see on the horizon. It doesn't make sense but it makes it easier to navigate the world.

Grief.exe

GMG has the Aliens Colon Marines + season pass for $10, and it's $8 with coupon code GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/my/en/pc/games/shooter/aliens-colonial-marines-and-season-pass/

I remember Jase and Stallion saying there was only one piece of single-player DLC and the rest were multiplayer.

The multiplayer is apparently dead.

Save your money for guac, papers, and spelunky.

That's just a repost of this, which was posted here around the time it went up.

Oh well. Interesting read.

fantomena

wut?

Total War games are one of the premier strategy franchises around (certainly rivals Civilization in my opinion).

Not recommending you buy Rome 2 sight unseen, but if you like strategy games at all (real time or turn based), you should definitely pick up Shogun 2 or the original Rome on a sale some time. You will get many more hours of potential enjoyment and replayability out of them than just about any standard AAA shooter.

I have them all, but not played them. :p

Steamnesia™

wilflare

I don't think a Microsoft-published game has ever appeared in a Humble Bundle, so I think we can count out Dust for the time being.

Wonder what do developers think about their games being in Humble...
(1) $$$$$$$
(2) Stahp devaluing my IPs
(3) Yay! Everyone is getting and playing my game
(4) Charity!

I just feel like it's going to devolve into Assassins Creed style tedium.

We'll see. I just generally don't have much faith in Ubisoft.

Completely understand and wouldn't be suprised if Ubi screws it. I'm hoping with a new IP, they make things a bit more unique.

Now on Watch Dogs 7 though.....

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How long are the wait times? I love helping people but if it gets to the point where I have to wait 10+ minutes it all but kills my enthusiasm

Not bad at all. I'm a little over the suggested level range for the most likely summon range for the dragon thing in the sewers, but I have been summoned 3 times in the last half hour (including boss fight time).

Just surf Gaf while you wait and if it does take too long, try a different time of day. I suspect Euro players are summoning me at the moment because they are more likely to be gaming after work right now.

Wonder what do developers think about their games being in Humble...
(1) $$$$$$$
(2) Stahp devaluing my IPs
(3) Yay! Everyone is getting and playing my game
(4) Charity!

To be fair, out of the only two publishers to have put their games into Humble Bundle, one was on the brink of death, and the other is rather low-profile. The publisher we're talking about here is Microsoft.

Not to mention that there aren't any Microsoft games, at least on Steam, that have Mac or Linux versions, or even DRM-free versions, which are basically prerequisites for numbered major Humble Bundles.

Maybe if there's a Humble Microsoft Bundle, but I highly doubt that would happen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, the Anno 1404: Venice and Anno 1404: Gold Edition subs have seen a handful of updates over the past few weeks. If you bring the game back to Steam, Ubi, I'll forgive you for the whole Rayman Forever thing.

wilflare

To be fair, out of the only two publishers to have put their games into Humble Bundle, one was on the brink of death, and the other is rather low-profile. The publisher we're talking about here is Microsoft.

Not to mention that there aren't any Microsoft games, at least on Steam, that have Mac or Linux versions, or even DRM-free versions, which are basically prerequisites for numbered major Humble Bundles.

Maybe if there's a Humble Microsoft Bundle, but I highly doubt that would happen.

Sorry! Haha I wasn't referring to Microsoft but I do wonder how developers feel in general about their games. Titles like Bastion/Hotline Miami do hold their own weight but have also been featured in Humble Bundles

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Changed the prices to dollars for those wondering. Manhunt isn't available on GMG AU so somebody will have to fill me in on that one.

Vargavinter

The puzzles were well done & I can absolutely see why people like the game, I guess I just don't enjoy this type of game as much as I thought I would.

Ah, well some doors you just have to learn where they go to, but if you dont know where the door to lets say the lighthouse is then just check what you see in the distance. If you see the siluett of the lighthouse then you know that the right door is on this side of the house. Hope i make any sense. ._.

Dolor

Hmm, the Anno 1404: Venice and Anno 1404: Gold Edition subs have seen a handful of updates over the past few weeks. If you bring the game back to Steam, Ubi, I'll forgive you for the whole Rayman Forever thing.

I will buy these games on Steam too, Ubisoft. Promise.

derExperte

I still go in there for the unique pick ups or the classic games.

I always end up cringing or face palming.

I tried just now and couldn't even get past the seemingly endless OP. On the other hand in here we have people buying Aliens:CM, so I'm not sure what thread is worse right now...

The_Monk

Just saw this post! This is good news, let's hope for the best fellow GAFfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom