• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

lol everquest

its pretty tho

ibdlwYS1OoS6oH.gif

Check out the posts, everything they are doing sounds pretty innovative.

So the 4 pm RPS reveal was EQ Next wasnt it.

Yep

Good game, but I thought it would be something better.

Dolor

Jesus H Christ @ Everquest Next.
Super ambitious. Voxelized world? Hot damn, I hope they can deliver.

Me too, but I think they did a good job on Planetside 2 which was ambitious as well, so I am optimistic, and besides, it's apparently free to try.

nexen

Me too, but I think they did a good job on Planetside 2 which was ambitious as well, so I am optimistic, and besides, it's apparently free to try.

They're going to be sending all those voxel changes out to all the clients. So much data.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Alright at first I thought "Meh Everquest" but this info coming out is sounding really hot. Like, this could be pretty good even though I'll probably burn out in beta like most MMOs.

Grief.exe

Alright at first I thought "Meh Everquest" but this info coming out is sounding really hot. Like, this could be pretty good even though I'll probably burn out in beta like most MMOs.

That's the first thing I thought too.

At first I just kind of decided to watch the stream on a whim.

After the stream:

iHZhx4uJQKLMv.gif

IMO, every F2P game needs to be P2W in order to let the devs/publisher survive. Not making a F2P game P2W is suicide.

Very debatable.

Grief.exe

I think Dota 2 is a pretty good counterexample to this.

The problem with using DOTA 2 and TF2 as examples, is Valve also profits on bringing people into the Steam ecosystem.

Their entire business model is to lose money on the front end in order to make money on the back end, this includes their F2P games and Steamworks. Of course, I'm sure DOTA 2 and TF2 would still be profitable even in a vacuum, considering their popularity.

Any game for the past 10 years >>>>>>>> Elder Scrolls Online

Not The Old Republic.

Dolor

The problem with using DOTA 2 and TF2 as examples, is Valve also profits on bringing people into the Steam ecosystem.

I agree that there are possibly other motivations for making them F2P, but my guess would be the shear volume of players makes them a pretty tidy profit.

I would imagine that a P2W model makes more money over a short(er) period, but the playing population dwindles faster as the distance (in competitive terms) between the "haves" and the "have-nots" increases.

Grief.exe

Batman: AC update.

Client Icon just changed, not sure why.

Before/After

i9eOkOklvEe4f.png

Of all F2P games I have liked it is Planetside 2, Blacklight: Retribution and Tribes: Ascend.

Its funny because the latter two could really be construed as P2W.

Especially Tribes, in the beginning. It may be better now.

I know what I played BL:R there were some weapons that you could buy that were leagues more powerful than those available for lower levels.

You could level up, but it would take many, many hours.

Path of Exile isnt P2W, they sell cosmetics things and more storage space nothing that breaks the game.

PoE is probably one of the best examples of F2P done right.

Acccent

Now what I want to know is what they really were talking about when they mentioned that multiclassing stuff. Does it mean you can progress in the game only by exploring, without grinding - maybe there is no levelling at all? (which would be coherent with the emergent AI, since they might not be able to ensure that area X is for beginners and area Y is end-game stuff...) And are the classes only combat-oriented, or can I find a "wise teacher" or "hardened fisherman" class if I explore far enough into a library or an ocean? Because that would be the best.

Batman: AC update.

Client Icon just changed, not sure why.

Before/After

i9eOkOklvEe4f.png

Its funny because the latter two could really be construed as P2W.

Especially Tribes, in the beginning. It may be better now.

I know what I played BL:R there were some weapons that you could buy that were leagues more powerful than those available for lower levels.

You could level up, but it would take many, many hours.

PoE is probably one of the best examples of F2P done right.

I'm seeing the same icon for the Arkham City version, the GOTY has the icon in the right!

Grief.exe

Now what I really want to know is what they really were talking about that multiclassing stuff. Does it mean you can progress in the game without levelling - maybe there is no levelling at all? (which would be coherent with the emergent AI, since they might not be able to ensure that area X is for beginners and area Y is end-game stuff...) And are the classes only combat-oriented, or can I find a "wise teacher" or "hardened fisherman" class if I explore far enough into a library or an ocean? Because that would be the best.

They did not go into that amount of detail.

They just said that there were 9 starting classes, and 40 classes out in the world to find and mix and match.

I'm seeing the same icon for the Arkham City version, the GOTY has the icon in the right!

I just had it opposite then.

Acccent

They did not go into that amount of detail.

They just said that there were 9 starting classes, and 40 classes out in the world to find and mix and match.

I know, that's why I want to know more :) the fact that you unlock classes by "finding" them and the emergent AI have pretty big consequences on the way progression works, so I want to know what their solutions are.

fantomena

I don't think MS will announce a date when they kill GFWL. They are just gonna kill it slowly in secret. There is a reason CapCom, Dark Souls 2, Batman: Arkham Origins and MS themself are jumping over and using Steamworks.

Retne

I don't think MS will announce a date when they kill GWL. They are just gonna kill it slowly in secret. There is a reason CapCom, Dark Souls 2, Batman: Arkham Origins and MS themself are jumping over and using Steamworks.

I hope there's some way to patch it out of previous games if they are straight up slaying the beast. Maybe I could actually play Bioshock 2 all the way through without having my save eaten.

derFeef

Gaf hating on F2P unless it's Guildwars or Warcraft (not yet...) NEWS AT ELEVEN!

(sorry it's pretty hot here... those manners...)

fantomena

I hope there's some way to patch it out of previous games if they are straight up slaying the beast. Maybe I could actually play Bioshock 2 all the way through without having my save eaten.

Bioshock 2 and the Batman: Arkham games are rumored to quit GFWL and go over to Steamworks.

The majority of PC gamers like/love to use Steam and love the benefit they are getting from Steamworks so the best way as a dev or publisher to make sure a game sells good on PC is to make it a Steamworks game or just reedemable on Steam. At least Ubisoft allows their parners to choose UPlay or Steam (CoJ: Gunslinger uses Steam as far as I know).

Grief.exe

(sorry it's pretty hot here... those manners...)

I can't tell if what you are saying is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Bioshock 2 and the Batman: Arkham games are rumored to quit GFWL and go over to Steamworks.

The majority of PC gamers like/love to use Steam and love the benefit they are getting from Steamworks so the best way as a dev or publisher to make sure a game sells good on PC is to make it a Steamworks game or just reedemable on Steam. At least Ubisoft allows their parners to choose UPlay or Steam (CoJ: Gunslinger uses Steam as far as I know).

This is all accurate.

You are right, Ubi allows studios that aren't first party to publish as they wish. And, of course, they choose Steam.

derFeef

Tribes Ascend and Warframe are both the best F2P games I played recently - but yeah if you don't have too much time you are out of the loop fast.

fantomena

You are right, Ubi allows studios that aren't first party to publish as they wish. And, of course, they choose Steam.

Almost ever time I see a shop like GreenManGaming, Gamersgate, GameFly, GetGamesGo or any of the other 100 shops have a sale on a game and the game is not Steam reedamable there is always many people who comments "No Steam no buy". That should send a message to the dev/publisher.

When for example the Norwegian shop Viagame.no had a sale on Future Soldier and it was not Steam reedamable there were comments on the forum Diskusjon.no and Spill.no like "WTF? No Steam, fuck that, not buying."

Grief.exe

should we expect Everquest to be coming to Steam?

Seems like a pretty good possiblity.

We have SOE's last two F2P games, PS2 and EQ2.

Almost ever time I see a shop like GreenManGaming, Gamersgate, GameFly, GetGamesGo or any of the other 100 shops have a sale on a game and the game is not Steam reedamable there is always many people who comments "No Steam no buy". That should send a message to the dev/publisher.

When for example the Norwegian shop Viagame.no had a sale on Future Soldier and it was not Steam reedamable there were comments on the forum Diskusjon.no and Spill.no like "WTF? No Steam, fuck that, not buying."

That is where I'm at right now.

GoG or Steam.

I either want no DRM or Steam. Don't really want to play around with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom