• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dungeon Siege 3 is €4.99 on Gamersgate, €3.99 with the 20% deal for my account.
It redeems on Steam.

Is the game any good?

it's an inoffensive hack and slash with terrible co-op, a forgettable story and some fun combat (if you use a controller). mediocre is probably the word I'd use to describe it but for that price it's worth a look.

Dungeon Siege 3 is €4.99 on Gamersgate, €3.99 with the 20% deal for my account.
It redeems on Steam.

Is the game any good?

If you're not going to play it in co-op, which can save almost every game according to Stallion Freeist theory, I say don't bother. It's a polished game but not nearly as interesting as other Obsidian games.

esai

Primal Fears is out now for $8.99 (the 4-pack is $22.49)

header.jpg

best icon.

It's a 4-player / top-down / co-op game where you kill things with friends. I bet morningbus will like this one.
Reminds me of alien swarm which I've yet to finish. Maybe I'll bite.
Edit : never mind. I spent too much on the sale.

Flunkie

Banned
I really think I'm done picking up games I have that half-ass interest in from now on. I decided to rent Halo 4 and after two levels, I'm bored. I just want to go back to Dragon's Dogma which I've been playing for about a month now. I feel so much more satisfied with a few games I play a lot rather than trying to churning through many.
I wish I could do this. Instead I play about an hour or two of each new release and get bored.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

esai

It's looking like spec ops might be my next game to play after sleeping dogs. But I have several other must play titles.

I really liked the use of star spangled banner on the title screen too. reminds me of the herd track starship trooper:

I'm a starship trooper this is my letter to dad
transferred from Saigon to Baghdad and now I'm dead
an allied soldier with skin boils from Ebola
I'll bring you back a souvenir of what we stole

Caerith

It's looking like spec ops might be my next game to play after sleeping dogs. But I have several other must play titles.
If you're going to get Spec Ops, might as well play it immediately while the conversation is still going.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious, have you played Mass Effect 2? It's much worse than Spec Ops. Each combat area feels completely artificial, like a game show obstacle course. You walk forward until you see a random, extremely conspicuous cover object, at which point you know that as soon as you reach it, it will set off a scripted event where a group of enemies appears.
ME3 is even worse. You notice when a shootout is going to happen, as you said, but you also know that once it ends, you'll probably have to deal with a fucking mech or a banshee/brute. The only redeeming factor was the fun of spamming Charge+Nova as a Vanguard, and even that became old after a couple of hours.

Spec Ops' gameplay is no masterpiece, but it gets much more hate than it deserves.

One thing I'm trying to do to tackle collection of unplayed games is when I see a game on sale I own and have not played is install and start to play that game.

Recently installed and started playing Alpha Protocol for the first time.

Caerith

I really liked the use of star spangled banner on the title screen too. reminds me of the herd track starship trooper:

I'm a starship trooper this is my letter to dad
transferred from Saigon to Baghdad and now I'm dead
an allied soldier with skin boils from Ebola
I'll bring you back a souvenir of what we stole
Oh, I believe that was Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock. The flag was upside down too, wasn't it?

I've finished it, there is no more to play. It's "oh no, we're shooting uhmericans!" then "oh no civilians!" and then "oh no
we ripped off fight club!
".

Yawn.

Drop into the spoiler thread and have a read. You might find it illuminating. Or even better watch this (SPOILERS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBrenhzMZI

I wouldn't normally call someone up on something like this but I feel like this game is kind of important and to be so dismissive is probably stopping some folks who are on the fence from giving it a chance.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
edit: sexy avatar shintoki

I'm a sexy beast!

That is my goal once I finish my backlog (which should be this year hopefully).
I seem to play a lot of crap... just because I have it and want to finish it. But I normally enjoy just playing one or two games for an extended period of time. I'm not worried about the backlog anymore, just want to make sure what I add to it, I actually want to play.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
it's an inoffensive hack and slash with terrible co-op, a forgettable story and some fun combat (if you use a controller). mediocre is probably the word I'd use to describe it but for that price it's worth a look.

What was wrong with the co-op? I played with one friend exclusively for the entire ride (our standard approach to a game we decide to play co-op in) and we had a lot of fun. The game is not a Diablo-type which seems to be the most common misconception about it.

Oh, I believe that was Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock. The flag was upside down too, wasn't it?

yeah it was a nice touch. at first it feels like a pretty lazy way to pay homage to apocalypse now, but as the game progressed and the truth about what had happened in Dubai became apparent I appreciated it a lot more.

What was wrong with the co-op? I played with one friend exclusively for the entire ride (our standard approach to a game we decide to play co-op in) and we had a lot of fun. The game is not a Diablo-type which seems to be the most common misconception about it.

oh it's fun and quite playable, but the way characters are stored with the host is a shock for most people coming from similar games.

how do you guys decide what to play next?

i'm currently in the "i just finished something and want to play every game at the same time" mode...so instead of playing, i just debate what to play next.

Tomodachi

i'm currently in the "i just finished something and want to play every game at the same time" mode...so instead of playing, i just debate what to play next.
I have a look at my backlog on howlongtobeat.com and choose the one I feel like playing the most, also considering its length and the effort and hours of play I'm willing to put into the next game.

I divide the games in two categories - those I really really wanted to play when I bought them, and those I just bought to test with, play around with for a bit or bought because of the sale price. And then I pick something from the first category that's different from what I just played.

Or I go back to Football Manager. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
oh it's fun and quite playable, but the way characters are stored with the host is a shock for most people coming from similar games.

Hence the common misconception bit I guess. I knew what I was getting into and I played it the same way I play every co-op game and it was an infinitely better experience than solo play.

Caerith

yeah it was a nice touch. at first it feels like a pretty lazy way to pay homage to apocalypse now, but as the game progressed and the truth about what had happened in Dubai became apparent I appreciated it a lot more.
I should rewatch that. Spec Ops definitely alludes to it and Heart of Darkness but it's most interesting where they differ. I don't get how it gets so many dismissals as just being an adaptation, which is like saying Ted is a remake of Flash Gordon.

Caerith

If I'm really interested in something, I play it next. Otherwise I pick something from my adventure game category to cut down on the backlog, or finish something I started previously. Depends on my mood, really.

TheExodu5

Banned

I've been in that phase for about 5 years now. I still haven't decided what I want to play.

Caerith

If it was tru art it wouldn't need to be played ASAP, just sayin'.

Tru art is eternally relevant/good.
Eh, eternally? Most art relies on a context shared by the artist and the audience. Look how heavily Shakespeare's works are annotated these days-- who would truly understand them otherwise?

Not that Spec Ops is Hamlet.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I had that same problem last night, until a smart GAFfer suggested that I play Mark of the Ninja if I had it on my Steam account and hadn't played it yet. I did, and I hadn't played it, so that's what I started doing. Good game so far, I plan on playing more of it tonight.

Pretty Cate Archer is back, goodie. I need to play that game, some day.
Reading this made my heart beat fast, thinking there was a new NOLF in the works, or that 1&2 would come to Steam. Please don't do this to me :(

I divide the games in two categories - those I really really wanted to play when I bought them, and those I just bought to test with, play around with for a bit or bought because of the sale price. And then I pick something from the first category that's different from what I just played.

Or I go back to Football Manager. :)

I have a look at my backlog on howlongtobeat.com and choose the one I feel like playing the most, also considering its length and the effort and hours of play I'm willing to put into the next game.

If I'm really interested in something, I play it next. Otherwise I pick something from my adventure game category to cut down on the backlog, or finish something I started previously. Depends on my mood, really.

thanks guys. Dragon Age or New Vegas it is. (with some sort of hi-res texture pack of course)

I've been in that phase for about 5 years now. I still haven't decided what I want to play.

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It really has a forgettable story? Usually that's what Obsidian gets right even in their worst games...

They phoned it in with Dungeon Siege III. Gotta pay the bills, though.

Oh, and unlike everything else they've done up to this point, Christ Avellone wasn't involved.

Doomrider

They phoned it in with Dungeon Siege III. Gotta pay the bills, though.

Oh, and unlike everything else they've done up to this point, Christ Avellone wasn't involved.

Beautiful.

I'm thinking of starting playing DSIII myself, after I'm done with Divinity II or something. The story/dialogue can't be that bad, right? Then again, after playing Divinity, the majority of other games' dialogue will probably seem dull.

Wok

The Cave is up for pre-order on Green Man Gaming for $15 bucks. Steam redeemable:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/br/en/pc/games/adventure/cave/

You can use this code for 20% off, making it $12 bucks:
GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

If you had the $6 bucks credit on GMG from the Sleeping Dogs deal, that makes it $6 bucks!

I'm OK with giving 6 bucks to Double Fine. You should be too!

It is interesting to know. But it is also wrong to consider the game costs $6, it indeed costs $12.

Hence the common misconception bit I guess. I knew what I was getting into and I played it the same way I play every co-op game and it was an infinitely better experience than solo play.

that's true, but I still think that the way it's implemented is silly. even saints row 3 lets you bring your own character into a friend's game and it's not even an rpg in the traditional sense. that said, calling it "terrible" wasn't really fair. limited would be a better word for it.

it's the trinity we need to see more of; the feargus, the sawyer and the holy chris.

nolf ain't never coming back. the best we can hope for is that wb decides to allow gog to update and sell the original games, because as it stands nolf2 is almost unplayable on 64bit systems.

nexen

nolf ain't never coming back. the best we can hope for is that wb decides to allow gog to update and sell the original games, because as it stands nolf2 is almost unplayable on 64bit systems.

Why is NOLF not on GOG already? Is there some copyright issue?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

O.DOGG

I replayed Spec Ops just a couple of days ago, and was actually surprised that the gameplay was better than I remembered it to be. Also the graphics are fantastic, and the whole experience is quite unique - especially the second time around. And yes, the best deal would be to get it from Amazon with a coupon for ~$2.50 right now. Hell, I may get another copy just to gift to someone who would appreciate the game.

oipic

Reading this made my heart beat fast, thinking there was a new NOLF in the works, or that 1&2 would come to Steam. Please don't do this to me :(

The sad fate of NOLF (and the System Shock franchise also, for that matter), is one of the great disappointments in gaming. As much as I'm all for innovation and fresh ideas, I would dearly love modern remakes or re-imaginings of both. Sigh.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna play through The Walking Dead in one sitting. Gonna blaze through it.
This is the right way of playing. I'm ashamed to admit that I cut my single session into 2 chunks, one of 3 hours and the other of 9, because I had to eat supper in the middle of them. Still, I'm glad that I managed to squeeze 12 hours of playtime into 13 straight hours of real time.

The sad fate of NOLF (and the System Shock franchise also, for that matter), is one of the great disappointments in gaming. As much as I'm all for innovation and fresh ideas, I would dearly love modern remakes or re-imaginings of both. Sigh.
I never played any of the System Shock games, so it would be nice to see a DD version of them. And I've read that there was a spin-off game set in the NOLF universe, Contract Jack. Anybody played it?

This is the right way of playing. I'm ashamed to admit that I cut my single session into 2 chunks, one of 3 hours and the other of 9, because I had to eat supper in the middle of them. Still, I'm glad that I managed to squeeze 12 hours of playtime into 13 straight hours of real time.

I never played any of the System Shock games, so it would be nice to see a DD version of them. And I've read that there was a spin-off game set in the NOLF universe, Contract Jack. Anybody played it?

unacceptable excuse

rionaa:

contract j.a.c.k. is painfully bad. they just reused the assets from the second game to make a lame action shooter with a forgettable lead character who doesn't even have the decency to be funny. it's also like 4 hours long which is insulting when you think of how deep and vast the main games are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom