• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkham Asylum was alright, but the exploration wasn't all that interesting on its own and the combat was never much more than boring. I'm still interested in City because of hearing how it makes Asylum feel so watered down by comparison, but I just got that feel from Asylum without touching City.

Turfster

Could you elaborate? I'm wondering if it's worth my time.

I'm definitely not going to play it after AA, but I'd like to know regardless.

It's been a while (I replayed AA when it got GFWL removed, played AC around release), but while they made the combat feel smoother, crossing the city got really annoying because you always had to go around that stupid wall... and you kept getting sent to the other side, of course. Also, it felt like a lot more mooks were carrying guns... and don't get me started on all the timing based Riddler sidestuff.

I should try depressurizer again. It didn't work at all the first time I tried (probably user error) and I never bothered again.

I want to make my categories better as finally after all my games my tried and true backlog, finished, playing, isn't cutting it anymore.

Caerith

It's been a while (I replayed AA when it got GFWL removed, played AC around release), but while they made the combat feel smoother, crossing the city got really annoying because you always had to go around that stupid wall... and you kept getting sent to the other side, of course. Also, it felt like a lot more mooks were carrying guns... and don't get me started on all the timing based Riddler sidestuff.

I played them same as you-- AC around release (with a six month break when GFWL refused to recognize my save file), AA replay when GFWL got removed-- and I agree with you completely, especially about AC's Riddler stuff.

Thorgal

Look, terrible is a heavy term, and it's obviously subjective. I tried my best to like it, and there's some great ideas in the game, but the ultimate execution... Honestly, the base game isn't all that bad. Being the goddamn Batman and going all Predator up on these guys asses is fantastic. But then Rocksteady decides to cap every hour of gameplay off with locking you in an arena with a nearly never-ending stream of bad guys flowing at you, while you've got at least one drupped-up super freak either going Berserker or just throwing stuff at you. The game's combat system isn't perfect, and fights like that just paint a huge spotlight on that fact. Your enemies get tossed on the ground unconscious, and you're unable to finish them off because one of the seven-hundred other goons surrounding you will try kicking you in the face when the 'block'-button doesn't work. Not to mention that, when you die, the villain that had the dubious honor of killing you gets to gloat in your face and you can't even fucking skip it. Don't get me started on that Killer Croc section, that was ten times as long as it should've been.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the first Assassin's Creed. You can only keep pressing the same buttons so much before you start realizing that it's an exercise not in skill, but in frustration. The villains should be the highlight in a Batman game, but in Arkham Asylum, they're the worst part of the package.

Tl;dr: the game is not terrible per se, but the horrible boss battles (and the incredibly annoying segments that occur when you die during one of those boss battles) have completely turned me off of it.

I hope Arkham City is better, because flying across the Gotham skyline with a grapple hook sounds awesome.

The bosses are indeed one of the weaker parts of the game or lazily designed.
Bane
entire fight was basically the same as fighting one of the
titan giants
later in the game and many people where disappointed with the
killer croc section
considering how they built up that encounter .

Altough i must disagree with the combat .
The free combat system is well designed to make you feel like the badass that Batman is and gives you a challenge to get your combo meter up as high as you can without getting hit .

Also you should forget trying to finish enemies on the floor durring fights because as you said, you get rushed by the other enemies .
Instead let them get back up so you can hit them again and keep your combo going.
The enemy variety also mixes things up so you are not constantly mashing Square/X your way to Victory.

Regarding AC the combat remains relatively the same sans minor improvements (counter two enemies at once ,smoke pellets to get away for when you get shot at etc.. ) but i can already say that the bosses in that game are a massive improvement compared to AA.

Caerith

The bosses are indeed one of the weaker parts of the game or lazily designed.
Bane
entire fight was basically the same as fighting one of the
titan giants
later in the game and many people where disappointed with the
killer croc section
considering how they built up that encounter .

The free combat system is well designed to make you feel like the badass that Batman is and gives you a challenge to get your combo meter up as high as you can without getting hit .

Also you should forget trying to finish enemies on the floor durring fights because as you said, you get rushed by the other enemies .
Instead let them get back up so you can hit them again and keep your combo going.
The enemy variety also mixes things up so you are not constantly mashing Square/X your way to Victory.

Regarding AC the combat remains relatively the same sans minor improvements (counter two enemies at once ,smoke pellets to get away for when you get shot at etc.. ) but i can already say that the bosses in that game are a massive improvement compared to AA.
The Freeze fight was amazing.

But fighting a hundred dudes at once, several times over, does get old. At least, until Batman: Arkham Musou comes out.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I still like the comat in Arkham games, viewing it as a rhythm system where I want to make the longest combo or use the most items possible.

I would of course prefer Batman in Godhand, but oh well

Oh thanks, I somehow missed this and I need those robots.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow this game is huge. Or maybe I'm just really slow :p
Nah, it's big. My first (and only, for now) playthrough took me 39 hours. Amazing game, totally blew my head. As someone who played it in 2013, I can't imagine how the players must have felt back in 2000 when it came out. I wish I had tried it back then :/

Whools

I prefer Asylum, but it's tough to compare them. I loved the tone of Asylum, It had a really feeling of urgency what with
The inmates taking over the asylum, even if the stakes were arguably higher in city
. The chaos in city just felt like it was par for the course. City played better, but navigation did become a chore at times, but even with Asylums boss battles it was still immensely fun to play. Both are great games though, I really need to get around to Origins.

This looks very useful. thank you.

Depressurizer is a great tool. I just wouldn't trust the "auto categorize based on steam" setting. :)

Someone understands the brilliance of the Arkham games freeflow combat system. Hooray! I like you. :)

Looks like I'll still give Arkham City a try then, thanks guys. As long as I don't break my controller during this last Joker fight. Discovering the fight with Poison Ivy had two stages nearly gave me a brain aneurysm.

I prefer AC over AA, because the combat is just so much better, flying around the city makes me feel like Batman, also Catwoman. I got AO from my graphics card, will try it out soon.

Caerith

Nah, it's big. My first (and only, for now) playthrough took me 39 hours. Amazing game, totally blew my head. As someone who played it in 2013, I can't imagine how the players must have felt back in 2000 when it came out. I wish I had tried it back then :/
I played Deus Ex back when it came out, and it set unrealistic expectations for the future of gaming.

The multiplayer (patched in after launch, seemed like a good idea at the time) was pretty fun, though.

Makes me wonder why, with all the reboots going on, they added multiplayer to Tomb Raider but not to DXHR. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't, but if you had to choose between grinding 20+ achievements from deathmatch would you rather play as an ordinary human with a gun against other ordinary humans with guns, or as a customized cyborg with customized weapons against other cyborgs?

I prefer Asylum, but it's tough to compare them. I loved the tone of Asylum, It had a really feeling of urgency what with
The inmates taking over the asylum, even if the stakes were arguably higher in city
. The chaos in city just felt like it was par for the course. City played better, but navigation did become a chore at times, but even with Asylums boss battles it was still immensely fun to play. Both are great games though, I really need to get around to Origins.
Looking back on Arkham City, I feel like I spent half my time gliding between objectives.

stonedwal

Really need to get back to playing Arkham Origins, got the PS3 version but might wait til my hardware refresh and get the PC version.

Turfster

I played Deus Ex back when it came out, and it set unrealistic expectations for the future of gaming.

Yeah. Being a PC only gamer in the 90s has not been good for my expectations in how the market would evolve.
Ultima Underworld 1+2, Ultima 7, System Shock 1+2, Deus Ex, adventure games, stuff like wing commander/privateer...
(Are we noticing a trend here?)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So glad Double Dragon Neon came to Steam. Absolutely loving it so far. The combat system, the 80s style, the neon and the music. So good.

Thorgal

Looking back on Arkham City, I feel like I spent half my time gliding between objectives.

At times i have wondered if a fast travel option should have been included in the game but i always thought the game world was or at least felt , just too small to make a such an option worthwhile .

Khronico

I can see how people would compare the arkham games with assassins creed, although I would say the arkham games have much more depth in the actual mechanics than AC. In AC (sorry if this is off, the last AC game I played was brotherhood), counters are instant kills in 90% of the situations. Except for heavily armored enemies, NOTHING can touch you unless you just suck at video games.

In arkham, there is no OHKO except for stealth takedowns (which open you up for attack if an enemy sees you). Along with the extended fights because of no OHKO, you are given far more tools to play with in each combat scenario. In AC, the weapons you get all essentially work the same except for ranged weapons. In arkham, each weapon can be used differently (For example, explosive gel can be used for three different purposes in origins: quick planting during combat, opening pathways, and eliminating enemies instantly. That is just ONE tool in your arsenal).

You also have more diverse enemy types that you fight in the arkham series that make you change up your tactics. Stun baton wielding enemies that have to be vaulted to attack properly, heavies that take more damage, knife wielding enemies that take more skill to counter and do more damage, etc. There are also the unique enemies for certain boss fights, although they mostly are just reskinned basic types.

Not only that, you have way more combat mechanics you can play around with: cape stun, ground takedowns, instant takedowns (basically the AC counter), throws, batclaw, explosive gel of course, evades, batarang that can be comboed across multiple enemies, etc etc.

Overall I think it's a much better combat system than AC, and a lot better than people give it credit for. It's no platinum character action game or DMC, but it's no slouch either.

I also just completed the second episode of Wold Amoung Us, I really enjoyed it but what I don't like about this is the waiting or lack of schedule for the episodes. This is the first Telltale game I bought on release and it's kind of frustrating. I wish they were a little more transparent about when they think the episodes might be coming out.

and that's why you don't buy a TT game at launch.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I think the freeflow combat system is brilliant, it's just very punishing for those of us born with the coordination of a newborn puppy with a concussion.
Yup, I never know when to strike to make the combo counter go up. Right before hitting the enemy? After the hit connects? At the exact moment when it happens? The game doesn't tell you that, or I missed it.

yuraya

Could you elaborate? I'm wondering if it's worth my time.

I'm definitely not going to play it after AA, but I'd like to know regardless.

I liked Asylum a little bit more than City. The story was much better in Asylum and so were the boss fights.
The killer croc evasion in the sewers was intense as hell. One of my favorite moments in that game
But not to take anything away from City it was a really good game. A lot more depth and characters than Asylum. So if you found Asylum to lack certain aspects you will be satisfied if you do decide to play City. I beat both on hardest difficulty and have yet to play Origins. I would rate Asylum 9/10 and City 8/10.

Yup, I never know when to strike to make the combo counter go up. Right before hitting the enemy? After the hit connects? At the exact moment when it happens? The game doesn't tell you that, or I missed it.

The combo counter goes up regardless, as long as you don't get hit, for each "hit" on an enemy.

The part where you can get "bonus" hits for timing it right is hard to explain, but there's almost a rhythm to it... I can't explain that part fully... I just naturally knew what it meant and the timing felt right so I get perfect strikes most of the time. I think, in general, you need to start the next attack immediately as the one you're doing finishes, but I'd have to go look at the ability description to try to interpret it properly.

One of the keys to doing well in the system is to learn about dodging properly and incorporating gadgets where it makes sense. You need to learn how to dodge anyway because there are the unblockable attacks and shielded enemies later in the games that require it... so learning it early helps... and it helps you keep the combo going. You can sit there and use the dodge to flip back and forth over an enemy infinitely pretty much if you want to (it doesn't build combo count though).

stonedwal

I had exactly the same problem. Gaming went the opposite way and I'd been losing interest - at least until the indie revolution of the past few years.

random

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gish -- MB-46FFC06B69637259 - Taken by trailmix16. 8 entrants total.
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-948B796D502F58FF - Taken by Cth. 3 entrants total.
1953 KGB Unleashed -- MB-EEE66E7232845017 - Taken by Intheflorsh. 7 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-8FBD967CC2506A19 - Taken by scorpscarx. 5 entrants total.
Sid Mayers Ace Patrol -- MB-F39FC43346C1B0C8 - Taken by Vazduh. 2 entrants total.

t1391921794z1.png

Caerith

Yeah. Being a PC only gamer in the 90s has not been good for my expectations in how the market would evolve.
Ultima Underworld 1+2, Ultima 7, System Shock 1+2, Deus Ex, adventure games, stuff like wing commander/privateer...
(Are we noticing a trend here?)
Well, I also played console games in the 90s/2000s, so, yeah, double-dose of disappointment.

At times i have wondered if a fast travel option should have been included in the game but i always thought the game world was or at least felt , just too small to make a such an option worthwhile .
It did sort of have fast travel with the batwing or something, didn't it? Just from node to node?

I don't know, when I heard "open world/city" and "Batman" I really hoped it would be more of a Gotham-by-night thing instead of a "larger Asylum" thing.

and that's why you don't buy a TT game at launch.
Well, with TWD, there was the spoiler thread where we discussed the choices we made, lamented over the things that happened, etc. It was like a community thread. Then again, the episodes had a release schedule.

I'm still not sure of that.

Too many bans tonight SteamGAF. Stay safe our there.

The Freeze fight was amazing.

But fighting a hundred dudes at once, several times over, does get old. At least, until Batman: Arkham Musou comes out.

Freeze fight might be one of the better boss fights of last generation. Such a welcome change of pace from "here...kill a bunch of dudes, and then we'll throw more dudes at you".

Caerith

Freeze fight might be one of the better boss fights of last generation. Such a welcome change of pace from "here...kill a bunch of dudes, and then we'll throw more dudes at you".
Such a welcome change, too, from "the enemy's weak point opens up over here, just wait for it then hit it to make them flash red, now repeat three times."

HoosTrax

It is possible to screw up in Sang-Froid, and leave myself in an untenable situation later on, depending on how I spend my skill points and money?

Also, the voice acting seems kind of terribad. Also -- "Kwa-beck". Gah...

Levyne

Banned
XCOM completed. I was starting to roll over all of the usual missions but then the game threw the last two rooms of the temple ship at me. Initially won losing my favorite soldier but then reloaded to win with the team intact, haha.

Fun game, I might burp out a steam review with extended impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom