• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I don't know why he kept going into such threads, he knew it always ended badly. Sadly Thief steals hearts.

Finally finished Dark Souls. Wow. Just...wow. Hands down the best £3 I have ever spent. I think I'll leave the DLC for another time, way too drained now.

Thought you lose your avatar with a permaban?

That's a myth.

The Thief OT should be named 'RIP Derrick'

or 'he died for your sins'

or 'derrick's goty'

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats! I stopped playing that game when I couldn't get one of the optional thingies. I wanted to catch collect 'em all.
Thanks! And I'm totally the same way, I was always a hair-trigger away from just saying fuck it and shelving it, but my masochistic completionist streak saw me through. Also I agree that this is the worst Terry Cavanagh game I've played. Super Hexagon and Naya's Quest are so much better.

Congrats, it took me nearly 4 hours but only had about 700 deaths if I recall.
I was really just brute forcing my way through this game just so I could be done with it (though I still took some time to explore because that was the only part of the game I really enjoyed). But still, 700 is way low. teach me yo mad skillz :O

Anyway, I've been playing Papo & Yo now, and this might be the best indie game I've played so far. It's colorful, imaginative, fun to explore... It's great. I'm not sure what the plot's going to be, but I'm sure that quote at the beginning of the game will end up pretty relevant sooner or later.

My only problem is that the game runs like shit even at the lowest settings on my shitty laptop :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Veni, Vidi, Vici is the tinklett that most people get stuck on.
If that's the one you're stuck on, it's really no different from Super Hexagon, it's all about muscle memory. You shoudl be able to beat it with your eyes clothes after awhile (heck it might even make it easier so you don't have your vision playing tricks on you and screwing your timing).

You're an awful person!
Shut up, you were the one who introduced me to Naya's Quest, so it's only your fault that I really like it!

lol, that's impossible. I haven't reached that part yet, and watching it I'm glad I didn't.

All his statements regarding Thief were spot on, I don't use this site for anything but this thread anymore so I don't know the full story, but that's my take. Kinda sad when I have zero hype for a franchise release that was one of my defining pc games.

Gvaz

Banned
TBH Derrick was pretty spot on with a lot of stuff. Maybe not for the gaf hivemind, but at least for me. I liked his criticisms because at the end of the day, criticizing games is worth more than praise.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading through Derrick's post and I don't see anything worth banning over. Come on emc.
Only thing I can think of is that he had been warned about posting in said threads. I can't imagine any other explanation, because he didn't post anything wrong (in my opinion) this time.

That's a bit circular. I think he's only a special case because people make him one-- he certainly isn't the only person to share a pessimist outlook on Thief/etc, but every time he does you get half a page of "that's so Derrick."
That's true. It's like he built a character out of himself, so some people see his username and a negative post and immediately disregard its content, saying "It's just Derrick hating on games again". Which is a shame, since I like reading his opinions.

That's a bit circular. I think he's only a special case because people make him one-- he certainly isn't the only person to share a pessimist outlook on Thief/etc, but every time he does you get half a page of "that's so Derrick."

Why do you think people made him a special case? Was it arbitrary?

TBH Derrick was pretty spot on with a lot of stuff. Maybe not for the gaf hivemind, but at least for me. I liked his criticisms because at the end of the day, criticizing games is worth more than praise.

I didn't agree with all his criticisms and comments, but he did have a lot of good points when it comes to mainstream AAA games.

I'll definitely miss him.

I liked him too actually. Maybe I'm weird but it was always interesting to read his posts. Some view him as too negative but he never came of as annoying or something, at least for me. Liked his input on some things.

ss_lemonade

ModBot said:
Instructions for georaldc:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hard Reset -- MB-32E92A557D7CC3B8 - Taken by cardinalmind. 6 entrants total.
Civilization 5 -- MB-EB36FAA7BC1B37BD - Taken by trailmix16. 8 entrants total.
Hydrophobia -- MB-71946EE16425F445 - Taken by Shalashaska. 3 entrants total.
Nuclear dawn -- MB-74F8C5713E0E7027 - Taken by Arthea. 5 entrants total.
Two Worlds II -- MB-DE947A9F1C85B30B - Taken by Sarcasm. 15 entrants total.

t1391914773z1.png

Some keys from bundles I already own. Civ 5 is from Humble Bundle so hopefully I didn't screw up the gift link

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's because he's overly harsh with games he dislikes. Which isn't wrong, he knows what he likes and what he doesn't.

Perhaps his crime was posting in threads about games he disliked, instead of skipping them. But I still don't see that as ban material.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
He was very negative but he also carried a certain passion about wishing to see games return to a specific standard. I may not have agreed with his stance on AAA games but I was glad we had someone like him around to fight that fight.

On a side note, bet EmCee's getting that one tattooed somewhere. It's like taking out Moby Dick or somethin.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think maybe a lot of why he was banned is because when he'd start posting negative stuff in a thread, the thread would stop being about whatever it was about and start being about him. Just his presence tended to derail threads to a certain extent. Like in the GOTY thread, when he got banned the next page or two of the thread was just "I wonder what Derrick's GOTY is".

Gvaz

Banned
I think maybe a lot of why he was banned is because when he'd start posting negative stuff in a thread, the thread would stop being about whatever it was about and start being about him. Just his presence tended to derail threads to a certain extent. Like in the GOTY thread, when he got banned the next page or two of the thread was just "I wonder what Derrick's GOTY is".

How is that his fault? That's everyone else's fault for basically putting him on a sort of pedestal simply because his opinions were different or abrasive.

rtcn63

I'm fairly new here, but it seem to me that at least a few of his "impressions" were intended to get a rise, but without any real entertainment value. No subtle tongue-in-cheek, or not enough.

Could be wrong, often am. Bit too used to to the punchline.

No, it's because he's overly harsh with games he dislikes. Which isn't wrong, he knows what he likes and what he doesn't.

Perhaps his crime was posting in threads about games he disliked, instead of skipping them. But I still don't see that as ban material.
Honestly, it seemed like, more often than not, people took offense to Derrick coming into threads full of praise or hope, and then stating his, admittedly harsh, opinion. It wasn't so much what he said, but how he said it. I didn't mind his posts, I thought they broke up the echo chambers that certain threads tend to turn into. I can see why people would get so peeved off about him though.

I'll miss him if he's gone for good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How is that his fault? That's everyone else's fault for basically putting him on a sort of pedestal simply because his opinions were different or abrasive.

Oh no, it's not his fault at all, which does make it a bit sad. But again, that's only my speculation. Can't really back it up or anything.

Caerith

Only thing I can think of is that he had been warned about posting in said threads. I can't imagine any other explanation, because he didn't post anything wrong (in my opinion) this time.

That's true. It's like he build a character out of himself, so some people see his username and a negative post and immediately disregard its content, saying "It's just Derrick hating on games again". Which is a shame, since I like reading his opinions.
Being told "don't post in threads about things that interest you or else you're going to get banned again" would certainly be... interesting.

But, yeah, if he got unbanned and came back under a different name and different avatar, I expect nobody would pay much attention.

I don't know, maybe he had a real reign of terror before I started posting here, but a lot of times I see him banned, I also see people discussing him being banned and saying things like "I don't see anything particularly ban-worthy."

Tenrius

I wonder why they removed achievements from the store pages. Kinda miss that feature, hopefully they'll bring it back. Any news on that?

I'm reading through Derrick's post and I don't see anything worth banning over. Come on emc.

Why, I think this post qualifies for thread whining, especially considering the history he had. Eh, I didn't really agree to a lot of his opinions, but you have to hand it to him, the first two Thief games are that good.

I go play Animal Crossing and Derrick gets banned?!?!?!? :(

That's what happens when you actually try to play the games you've bought!

jediyoshi

I liked his criticisms because at the end of the day, criticizing games is worth more than praise.

I find that a wild blanket statement. From a criticism standpoint, it's much easier to break something down than to build something up. Critics put out infinitely less of themselves out there when making a judgement compared to someone actually making something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom