• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You know, people might criticize Valve for the way they handle communication - I certainly have before -, but looking at how some major companies and their employees handle it, especially during bad times, I can see why Valve does it the way they do.
You mean all the bullshit that was spread by journos about the Naughty dog situation?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Off-Road Drive -- MB-BC334EF27B285DB9 - Taken by Scipius. 13 entrants total.
Plain Sight -- MB-EBD559651627F787 - Taken by _hekk05. 6 entrants total.

t1394217375z1.png

Backlogger

'Pure Light' Bundle from LazyGuyStudio is live, 50% Off which is $2 for the first 72 hours
http://www.lazyguysstudio.com/bundle/
  • Off-Road Drive (Steam)
  • CID the Dummy (Steam)
  • Plain Sight (Steam)
  • Infinite Loop (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Robot Riot: Hyper Edition (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Project APT (Desura)
  • Jimmy vs Zombies (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Sym (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)

Hard to argue with $2, but i already have 2 of the 3 Steam games. Anyone have insights on the Greenlight games included here?

Dr Dogg

You know, people might criticize Valve for the way they handle communication - I certainly have before -, but looking at how some major companies and their employees handle it, especially during bad times, I can see why Valve does it the way they do.

I do know what you mean (especially with half the companies, ad and pr agencies I have to deal with on a day to day basis) but Valve's "say nothing" approach is a damn sight better than the way some of these guys string us along with morsels of information (all cleverly crafted none the less).

It's like when you go to your doctors with some condition that's either above their level of training or not quiet serious enough to warrant any further treatment, but they'll still send you away with a prescription as they don't want you to go home empty handed. In no way do they communicate to you any information on how to understand what is causing this or how to enrich yourself with relevant information so you cling to what they have advised and prescribed as the best course of remedy. When this turns out to either not work or your symptoms/condition worsens you only end up going back even more angry/confused/distressed than before.

Hasney

My CD key site just refunded my South Park purchase after sending the key, which activated fine. I questioned them last week as it was really cheap for a region free key, but I bought it when it stated UPLAY key. Not sure if they refunded me just in case I was looking for a UPLAY key because I just love UPLAY so much.

UPLAY.

You mean all the bullshit that was spread by journos about the Naughty dog situation?

I'm rather thinking of MS and how they handled X1 so far, and right now Ubi and that PR girl's tweet in the WD thread and people's reaction to it. And could probably mention other gaming companies off the top of my head or their employees with twitter accounts.

Journos can be shitty too, yeah, but that's a different issue.

Backlogger

Ok what sorcery is this. My HP laptop just repaired a line of dead pixels right in front of my eyes. Only 1 more to go ...

I have had this happen on a laptop before too. I wish it would happen on my Monoprice 1440p monitor. It has 1 dead pixel. Apparently if it gets up to 5-6 in the first year they will exchange it no questions asked but at this rate that probably isn't going to happen.

Luckily you can really only see it on dark or black screens and the light bleed from the corners is actually a bit more distracting than the 1 dead pixel so I guess I can deal :). Love that monitor, but dat light bleed...

_hekk05

Banned
I have had this happen on a laptop before too. I wish it would happen on my Monoprice 1440p monitor. It has 1 dead pixel. Apparently if it gets up to 5-6 in the first year they will exchange it no questions asked but at this rate that probably isn't going to happen.

Luckily you can really only see it on dark or black screens and the light bleed from the corners is actually a bit more distracting than the 1 dead pixel so I guess I can deal :). Love that monitor, but dat light bleed...

Mine is a line, an entire line of 768 blasted pixels on my terrible blasted resolution of a screen. And its white. It also barely makes it into the UI of dota2 so everytime I play I feel like smacking my laptop.

My CD key site just refunded my South Park purchase after sending the key, which activated fine. I questioned them last week as it was really cheap for a region free key, but I bought it when it stated UPLAY key. Not sure if they refunded me just in case I was looking for a UPLAY key because I just love UPLAY so much.

UPLAY.

If you don't tag your post you don't get paid.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I love taking screenshots and adding a (stupid) caption to them. I also love seeing my Steam friends doing the same! So don't feek bad about it, and if you think something's a spoiler, you can always mark said checkbox when you're uploading it.

Keep those screenshots coming, everyone!
I do that occasionally
no one seems to care :(

Grief.exe

After following the DayZ development closely, where the lead developer was as transparent as possible. I can see exactly why Valve takes a no-comment approach to everything.

Interfacing with the general gaming public is an exercise in futility. Zero rational thought, complete ignorance, and equivalent to a 3rd grade level English.

I highly doubt the DayZ development team will be so transparent during the development of their next game.

Backlogger

Mine is a line, an entire line of 768 blasted pixels on my terrible blasted resolution of a screen. And its white. It also barely makes it into the UI of dota2 so everytime I play I feel like smacking my laptop.

If you don't tag your post you don't get paid.

Yikes, that would drive me nuts. I had a couple of cheap LCD TVs that I used as extra monitors a while back. One got a vertical line like that so I gave it away. Even though it was like a 3rd monitor that was rarely used, it just drove me nuts.

_hekk05

Banned
Yikes, that would drive me nuts. I had a couple of cheap LCD TVs that I used as extra monitors a while back. One got a vertical line like that so I gave it away. Even though it was like a 3rd monitor that was rarely used, it just drove me nuts.

On the bright side I play less games so I have more time to study.

On the flip side I spend more time lurking gaf instead.

Backlogger

On the bright side I play less games so I have more time to study.

On the flip side I spend more time lurking gaf instead.

You say that like its a bad thing

Singularity is not steam works is it? EB games Canada has it for for 49 cents.

I don't think so. Its Activision and its not on this list: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Edit: Also, this is old, but http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2631825 For 50 cents maybe its worth taking a chance that something has changed

Jawmuncher

Sine Mora is one of those games where I liked everything about it aside from the actual game play. Mainly because the difficulty was just a bit much. The idea that you lose time if you're hit is interesting but can lead to some real FUCK YOU moments in the game. The Robot boss and Trash Level are perfect examples of that.
Still you could do worse than that for a dollar.

After following the DayZ development closely, where the lead developer was as transparent as possible. I can see exactly why Valve takes a no-comment approach to everything.

Interfacing with the general gaming public is an exercise in futility. Zero rational thought, complete ignorance, and equivalent to a 3rd grade level English.

I highly doubt the DayZ development team will be so transparent during the development of their next game.

This is also true. My initial comment was approaching this from the devs/pubs side only. How they can spin facts, make excuses, lone employees going on a tirade, pouring, more oil on the fire etc. But gamers are also at fault. A lot can be agitated, impatient, entitled or just troll. Nothing's good for them. It's like there's no middle ground.

Dr Dogg

Below The Line Comments are the enemy in most cases internet wide regardless of subject. You only need to look to twitter to see what you think would be well adjusted people making huge gaffs.

Many moons ago when I was being taught page layout and setting by a guy who had done the job for nigh on 40 years he said to me "never, ever but readers letters next to editorial" mainly due to how many issues it causes with clients and further complaints. He said to me to put them on a separate spread and gated off by display ads and fillers. Sadly seams new media isn't quiet up on this just yet as comments sections far and wide have some right corkers and nutjobs on there.

Jawmuncher

They may be selling Steam keys, but Singularity keys don't activate on Steam as standard. It's also very weird as they got different patches, so you can't actually play with people on retail if you have Steam version.

Well it's not like the MP is worth playing anyway.
Interesting idea but unless you NEED those steam achievements you're better off just ignoring it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

For example, you should see my inbox. :)

Although to be fair, anymore it's about 50/50 as to what I get. 50% of the email is from people who can make complete sentences and consist of either praise for Enhanced Steam or a feature suggestion that actually makes sense.

The other 50% of the mail I get mostly consists of people who can't spell or write like they're typing a text message. Those are the ones who spew criticism or offer "ideas" that are completely bonkers.

Dr Dogg

Well Star Trek is off to a 'great' start. Character models are a little patchy but damn does the animation and environment quality look straight out of a PS2 game. Well lets hope the gameplay and story are up to snuff. Hahahahahahahahaha...

Although to be fair, anymore it's about 50/50 as to what I get. 50% of the email is from people who can make complete sentences and consist of either praise for Enhanced Steam or a feature suggestion that actually makes sense.

The other 50% of the mail I get mostly consists of people who can't spell or write like they're typing a text message. Those are the ones who spew criticism or offer "ideas" that are completely bonkers.

The reviews from the Chrome store you post now and then say it all. Though I'd imagine your inbox to be much, much worse.

def sim

how about u enhans my walllet on steam jackles :mad:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The reviews from the Chrome store you post now and then say it all. Though I'd imagine your inbox to be much, much worse.

I used to try to answer each and every email I was sent, regardless of how the sender presented themselves. As Enhanced Steam now has over 700,000 downloads, that's just honestly a task I could never accomplish by myself. If I have a response, or if your email prompts me to make a change, I usually try to send a note back. If you've emailed me about Enhanced Steam and haven't got a response, don't take it personally, as my time is limited.

Sometimes it's amusing though. I had one person write a series of emails, somehow he thought I was the suggestion box for Valve. He described in elaborate detail how we (Valve) should make a new sandbox game where you could use the characters from other Valve games such as TF2 and Portal and dress them up in different outfits. He even described how you could "export" your character from the "game" and use it as your profile avatar.

Why are you guys so anxious to pre-order DS2? It releases in about 2 months and you have no idea of the state the port will be in.

PC was originally stated to be the lead platform, I thought.
Either way, the first port was acceptable and they're delaying the PC release to "do it right", so I have faith in them. I mean, c'mon, THEY CREATED THE SOULS GAMES.

DS1 was the worst port you could hope for, yet even without DSFix, would have been perfectly fine due to the gameplay.

Worst port? On what planet? It wasn't a great port, but it was by no means garbage. Would it have been nice to have better resolution/rendering options natively? Fuck yes. But that has nothing to do with the fact that the port runs better than the console versions did and doesn't have any game breaking glitches or other issues beyond the visual fidelity.

why is Yaiba NGZ not tagged all caps yet? (><)
we can tag unreleased games, can't we?
why no trailer I wonder.

I couldn't even find a Steam page... so that'd be why I haven't tagged it yet. :p

I too have preordered Dark Souls II
for the PS3

YOU DIED.
Seriously, you're dead to me.
Why would you do this?
I know; I'm betting that you can't wait an extra 6 weeks!

Thanks for gifting me Dark Souls 2, you know who you are :p

Oh nice! Can do!
Thanks for your work on DS, sir.

"Fix This!"

seriously though, if anyone deserves it...you do. Enjoy

Hahaha, that was my thought too.
"Make sure Durante has a copy in case FROM hasn't learned from their first port."

how is that perfectly normal price if you live anywhere but US?
not going to steam forums to see what are you talking about (><)

How is it not?
If major studio/publisher AAA games in your region are selling for $49.99 on PC, then what's not normal about it?

it's our favorite game at the moment :)

Sine Mora for ~1$

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1016-sine-mora

Great deal!
Also, good taste. ;)

After tons of thoughts, I have come to the conclusion that Im gonna wait nearer the DS2 release sicne there may be some good deals. For example GMG giving a 25% or 30% discount code.

2.50$ isn't really enough to make me want to wait for a better deal.

Hasney

I used to try to answer each and every email I was sent, regardless of how the sender presented themselves. As Enhanced Steam now has over 700,000 downloads, that's just honestly a task I could never accomplish by myself. If I have a response, or if your email prompts me to make a change, I usually try to send a note back. If you've emailed me about Enhanced Steam and haven't got a response, don't take it personally, as my time is limited.

Sometimes it's amusing though. I had one person write a series of emails, somehow he thought I was the suggestion box for Valve. He described in elaborate detail how we (Valve) should make a new sandbox game where you could use the characters from other Valve games such as TF2 and Portal and dress them up in different outfits. He even described how you could "export" your character from the "game" and use it as your profile avatar.

VALVE UNIVERSE

MAKE IT JSHACKLES YOU R THE GREETEST VALVE EMPLOYEE EVAR

Dr Dogg

Hahaha I don't envy you one bit.

Gaben please hire this man. Not only is he doing gods work by building upon the interface and fixing the issues with the client but now he's doing customer service and market research for free.

jshackles

VALVE UNIVERSE

MAKE IT JSHACKLES YOU R THE GREETEST VALVE EMPLOYEE EVAR

I totally would be. :) Okay, maybe not the greatest....
greetest?

In case anyone is curious, here is the first email I received from this fine Steam citizen.

Add A Character Maker, But If Your Wondering Were The Profile icon Is Gonna Be, Its Gonna Be On The Default Shirt/Hat --- Character Maker Features: Change Hats, Change Shirts, Change Pants, Change Skin, Change VALVe Character ---- VALVe Characters To Change: P-Body, Atlas, Ellis, Chell, GLaDOS, Core Template, Coach, Rochell, And Much Much More! --- Please Add This To Steam - P.S. Its The Valve Characters You Edit

Sine Mora is one of those games where I liked everything about it aside from the actual game play. Mainly because the difficulty was just a bit much. The idea that you lose time if you're hit is interesting but can lead to some real FUCK YOU moments in the game. The Robot boss and Trash Level are perfect examples of that.
Still you could do worse than that for a dollar.

Really a pure frustration game for me. Horrible hitboxes and massive lack of clarity between background and foreground elements made it such a pain to play. I gave it some time because the presentation was so good, but I'd actually not recommend it for pretty much any price. There are starting to be more and more good SHMUPs on Steam these days, so no use wasting time with a bad one.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I totally would be. :) Okay, maybe not the greatest....
greetest?

In case anyone is curious, here is the first email I received from this fine Steam citizen.

Something tells me you get crazier stuff than that all the time.

jshackles

Something tells me you get crazier stuff than that all the time.

Crazier, true. But usually not as funny.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Amazing effort in capitalizing every word. I like to think he turned caps lock on and off for each one too.
The most interesting ones are Valve and Glados

bidaum

Pretty sure this isn't built into steam yet, but is there a way to schedule updates to the client and games to kick off at a certain time?

HoosTrax

Who is the character on the very far right here?

lkarkkbhsgnpu1eon9fe.png

I thought it was the Sniper at first, wearing a costume, but he's on the left.

Just wondering, has anyone in Brazil-GAF bought Dark Souls II? Is a lot cheaper there and it works in my region (Colombia), it costs 36 bucks.

I'd paypal anyone that's willing to help me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom