• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Spelunky is one of the best games ever made

I get that it might not be for everyone, but at the same time many years after I spent hundreds of hours in the original free version, I still can't believe how good it is

indies are undoubtedly what takes PC ahead of everything else for me

yeayea bring the 3ds jokes

Same here. The unique experiences that some indies deliver completely overshadow most AAA late entries.

donny2112

It looks like Family Sharing is now enabled for regular Steam users. However, it looks like the ability to combine Family view with Family sharing does not work. :( Trying to setup a second account to be able to access select games from my library without having to login with my account. Can share the library fine, but then when enabling Family view, it doesn't let me pick what games from that shared library to enable for the restricted access. Looks like I'll need to login with my account, install what games I want allowed, enable Family view for those select games, and then go into offline mode to allow the other person to play those games without requiring logging in/out of my Steam account each time.

Am I just missing something about Family view combined with Family share?

I don't really agree. Looking at my Steam library I'd say stuff like CSGO, Ys games, Vampire: TM and good versions of Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Last Remnant, etc are what make PC a great platform. Indies are very hit or miss and usually really limited in genre. They seem to usually just stick to 2D platformers/shootemups and the adventure/visual novel/artsy "nongame" stuff. Of course there's exceptions like Path of Exile and Rust/DayZ, all of which I had zero fun playing. Different strokes etc.

I'll just say the day can't come soon enough that more indies start doing full 3D stuff. Even if it looks like a super clean PS2 game, that's more than good enough. Enough 2D indie platformers, bring on indie 3D platformers.

I think you are confusing "indies - 2010" versus "indies - now". I'm fairly certain if you say a genre you like, you'll find an indie that fills it.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262490/?featured_app=1

Aw yeah, GAF~

No way this ends well.

dreamfall

Stopping by to say I loved Resident Evil Revelations- it ain't RE4 but it's damn good.

Raid mode is still awesome to hop in every now and then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New Get Loaded Go.

As usual, nothing too special here, but they all activate on Steam.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So this is basically the end of the road for the Steam thread, huh?

All day anime.

Tellaerin

Gotcha.

I wonder if you will try and dissuade me from my prejudice towards AAA mainstream cinematic 'bro' games :p.

Now I'm imagining Ubi or EA buying the rights to FTL, then turning it into a bro-op shooter with voice-acted cutscenes and Gears of War-ish character designs... >.>

"Alien intruders in the medbay! Bulk VanderHuge, you're with me! If we don't push them back here, the whole crew dies!"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It looks like Family Sharing is now enabled for regular Steam users. However, it looks like the ability to combine Family view with Family sharing does not work. :( Trying to setup a second account to be able to access select games from my library without having to login with my account. Can share the library fine, but then when enabling Family view, it doesn't let me pick what games from that shared library to enable for the restricted access. Looks like I'll need to login with my account, install what games I want allowed, enable Family view for those select games, and then go into offline mode to allow the other person to play those games without requiring logging in/out of my Steam account each time.

Am I just missing something about Family view combined with Family share?

I don't personally have any experience with Family View, but it seems like what you're trying to do should work. The way you're expected to do it is:
- Log into the "child" (family member) account. This may cause a prompt to ask to authorize the user on the PC it's on to be able to see your account games, not sure.
- From the child account, set up family view and disable the games you don't want seen. You know the PIN, the family member does not.
- Family member now cannot see the games that are hidden unless the PIN is entered.

Here's their FAQ:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5149-EOPC-9918

Family sharing sounds like a complete trainwreck.

It's worked pretty effectively for me (but my use case is sharing games on another computer, not sharing games on my own computer)

So, you'd say that indie games are more like a snack and not GOTY worthy?

Well, sometimes they're really good snacks like Doritos Locos Tacos.

Stopping by to say I loved Resident Evil Revelations- it ain't RE4 but it's damn good.

Raid mode is still awesome to hop in every now and then.

It is indeed. Looks nice on PC considering it's a 3DS game, and m/kb controls blow that single analog slider away. I'll probably pick up RE6 PC when it gets cheap. I got the PS3 version for free and wasn't really feeling it after 2 chapters of Leon's campaign.

Grief.exe

*checks top 100 best-selling games on Steam, filters for independent developers*
Rust - Open world survival (3D)
Banished - Real-time strategy (3D)
Assetto Corsa - Racing (3D)
Broken Age - adventure (2D)
Rogue Legacy - platforming RPG (2D)
Plague Inc - Puzzle / strategy (2D)
Edge of Space - 2D Sandbox (2D)
7 Ways to Die - Open world survival (3D)
One Finger Death Punch - ??? (2D)
Starbound - 2D Sandbox (2D)
Project Zomboid - Isometric survival (2.5D)
Planetary Annihilation - Real-time strategy (3D)
Infested Planet - Real-time strategy (3D)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - RPG (3D)
Space Engineers - Space sandbox (3D)
Terraria - 2D Sandbox (2D)
Insurgency - Multiplayer FPS (3D)
Kerbal Space Program - Simulator (3D)
Age of Wonders III - Real-time Turn-based strategy (3D)
Next Car Game - Racing (3D)
Hawken - Multiplayer mech combat (3D)
Don't Starve - Survival roguelike (2.5D)
The Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing - ARPG (3D)
Blackguards - Strategy RPG (3D)
Outlast - Horror adventure (3D)
Lifeless Planet - Exploration platformer (2.5D)
Trine 2 - Physics driven puzzle platformer (3D)
The Banner Saga - Turn-based strategy RPG (2.5D)
The Stanley Parable - First-person comedy adventure (3D)
Octodad Dadliest Catch - Husband simulator (3D)

It doesn't look limited in genre to me, and that's just including the stuff that's selling the best. It doesn't look mostly 2D--I used 2.5D to mean either 3D art with 2D gameplay or 2D-ish art with 3D-ish gameplay, mostly platformers, or mostly non-games. Now maybe you don't like any of this stuff, but it's all independent, and it mostly meets your appeal for diversity. It's out there if you want to try it.

I mainly did this to caution people against defining "indie" to mean "a few types of games that I don't like", and then using that definition to make the argument that indie games aren't any good and limited in range. Because that's a circular argument.

Well-put Stump. What I was attempting to say, but you pulled it off so much better.

Gotcha.

I wonder if you will try and dissuade me from my prejudice towards AAA mainstream cinematic 'bro' games :p.

Its no secret that I have been completely disenfranchised by the AAA output in recent years. I only tend to only pipe up if it is ignorance towards the indie market, as in this situation, or a game that I really don't like gets brought up (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, etc).

Family sharing sounds like a complete trainwreck.

What makes you say that?

Jawmuncher

Now I'm imagining Ubi or EA buying the rights to FTL, then turning it into a bro-op shooter with voice-acted cutscenes and Gears of War-ish character designs... >.>

"Alien intruders in the medbay! Bulk VanderHuge, you're with me! If we don't push them back here, the whole crew dies!"

Dude that sounds AWESOME.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just saw RE: Revelations is a daily at 12.49
It's worth that price if you are somehow one of those weird people who didn't like RE6 and want something that pretends to play like the older games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, I'm going to try the Family View thing.

*logs out of Stumpokapow*
*registers Stumpokapow-familyview*

Okay. I am logged in as Stumpokapow-familyview. I see a list of all my games, indicating they are shared by Stumpokapow. I have full access to my library.

I go Steam -> Settings -> Family -> Manage Family View

Which library content should I have access to?
- Only games I choose
- Disable all the community stuff
*click continue*
- Create a PIN
*click continue*

Now I can see nothing in the library, because I haven't added anything to Family View. There is a green icon of a child at the top of the Steam client. Click on that to enter my pin. The icon of the kid is now red. I can view the entire library.

I add two games to my Family Games by right clicking the games and clicking Add to Family Games. One is Sword of the Stars, which I do not have installed. One is Swords and Soldiers HD, which I do have installed. I click the red icon of the child, and switch back to family view. I press OK.

My "child" now has a library with two games in it. I double click Sword of the Stars, and it offers me the option to install.

Seems to work fine to me.

donny2112

I don't personally have any experience with Family View, but it seems like what you're trying to do should work. The way you're expected to do it is:
- Log into the "child" (family member) account. This may cause a prompt to ask to authorize the user on the PC it's on to be able to see your account games, not sure.
- From the child account, set up family view and disable the games you don't want seen. You know the PIN, the family member does not.
- Family member now cannot see the games that are hidden unless the PIN is entered.

Here's their FAQ:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5149-EOPC-9918

Can authorize the account fine, but on step 2, it doesn't give me any games to pick from to restrict. When setting up family view on my main account, it lists all the games I own at that step. Seems like they haven't integrated the games shared in Family share with the game list to allow in Family view, though. Maybe that'll be in v2. :lol

Edit:
I add two games to my Family Games by right clicking the games and clicking Add to Family Games.

:O Will try that. Thank you! :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can authorize the account fine, but on step 2, it doesn't give me any games to pick from to restrict. When setting up family view on my main account, it lists all the games I own at that step. Seems like they haven't integrated the games shared in Family share with the game list to allow in Family view, though. Maybe that'll be in v2. :lol

Sorry, is there one computer at play here, or two?

Jawmuncher

Good price for Revelations, never got around to playing Raid mode in co-op, only messed with it a bit alone, I hear it's fun?

Depends on what you want. Raid mode for me personally isn't as fun as Mercs IMO.
You need to beat the story to unlock all the stages and the best element of it is by far The Ghost Ship level. It can be a bit of a grind though, but can be a lot more fun with a friend.

Spelunky is one of the best games ever made

I get that it might not be for everyone, but at the same time many years after I spent hundreds of hours in the original free version, I still can't believe how good it is

indies are undoubtedly what takes PC ahead of everything else for me

yeayea bring the 3ds jokes

Ok, since you asked for it:

The only way Spelunky could be any better would be if it was released on 3DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
:O Will try that. Thank you! :D

Yeah I think the confusion is that you expect to use your account to add the games to the list of games the child account can play, but what you actually do is use a separate mode on the child's account to manage the list of games the child account can play. The parent account is never used for anything, you use parent mode on the child account. And you add like you'd add games to a category, and then you switch back to child mode on the child account.

donny2112

Yeah I think the confusion is that you expect to use your account to add the games to the list of games the child account can play, but what you actually do is use a separate mode on the child's account to manage the list of games the child account can play. The parent account is never used for anything.

The right-clicking works. :D

When I had setup Family view on my main account earlier this week, it had given me a list of all the games in my account, and I just checkboxed each game to add to Family view. (Just checked, and it still does that on my main account.) Guess adding games to Family view through Family share is a little different, though. Thanks for checking it out to get it working for me!

LOL

You do know that I'm going to have nightmares about this now right? :/

Its no secret that I have been completely disenfranchised by the AAA output in recent years. I only tend to only pipe up if it is ignorance towards the indie market, as in this situation, or a game that I really don't like gets brought up (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, etc).

Sorry Grief, I hadn't realised that. Glad to know I'm not alone :).

No way, this ends well!

Someone using punctuation correctly* on the internet? :eek: unpossible!

* to denote the correct meaning of the words

Are you sure we want Milamber getting his hands on this technology? >.>

I wonder at what point Steam will sell us the opportunity to hide purchases from our Community Activity thingy. I know that Milamber will be proud but not everybody will boost with their recent purchase of Sexy Beach 3.

Said Mavs while buying Vanguard Princess aka Pantsu!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil Revelations is on sale, so might as well do my thing on horror games and leave impressions.

header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil Revelations is Capcom's attempt at a modern 'survival-horror' game, and makes claims to go back to the series roots. This isn't completely true, but that also does not mean this game isn't worth your time.

Resident Evil Revelations primarily focuses on Jill Valentine before the events of Resident Evil 5. Chris has gone missing (which if Claire has anything to say on the matter, is not an uncommon thing), and a distress signal has been sounded off on a cruise ship left out on a stormy sea. Jill, and new-comer Parker go in to investigate. And what commences is probably one of the cheesiest plots to exist in the whole series. Resident Evil being cheesy isn't anything new, but this is usually a result of voice acting or nonsensical doors. The plot of the game is just ridiculous, with over-the-top plot twists, extravagant characters even by the series standards, and almost feels like it's convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. But that's not to say it's bad. In a B-Horror sense it's actually rather entertaining, but I suggest you don't come to this game for some deep drama or serious tale and take it for the off-the-rails ridiculous story that it is.

The game is split into 12 episodes, which in part have two parts each. Typically in each episode, you'll play one part of it as Jill in the 'present', exploring the ship and its horrors. The other half changes chapter-per-chapter of what it contains, but typically it stars some other character, either in the present or at some other time, doing something somewhere else that's somehow important to the story. These chapters are usually notably more action-packed than Jill's chapters, and honestly they're usually not quite as good as Jill's chapters either, but they're not terrible. And as the game has an episodic structure, episodes usually end off with a cliff-hanger, and when you start the next episode, it starts amusingly off with a, "Previously, on Resident Evil Revelations..." recap.

The game plays sort of like Resident Evil 4 or 5, but there are differences to the system here. Firstly, the first big difference you may notice are the enemies. The Oozes, are what they're called, and they don't just look different, but should be approached differently than other enemies in the series. They chug along, waving their bodies all over the place, making them a bit hard to hit. On top of this, they respond different to being shot than, say, Ganado or Majinni. And this takes a bit of adjusting too. Basically, the Oozes are hurt most in the head, but shooting them in the head doesn't actually stun them (and they won't explode in this game, either). It's actually sometimes far more worth your time to shoot their arms or legs. Oozes can lose use of their limbs temporarily, and can be noted when their limbs are damaged and unusable as they dangle around once damaged enough. If you shoot the legs of an Ooze, it'll start crawling around. Shoot an arm off, and it won't be able to use attacks with that arm for a time. Shoot both arms off, and the enemy will be stun-locked, letting you run-in and melee the enemy. Unlike RE4 or 5, you can hold-down the melee button to charge it up for a more powerful melee strike.

ss_cc1e991467aed50edf800c54d39ebd80c3f40b6d.600x338.jpg

There's other changes too that lead to the game feeling different. There's no red herbs, or first-aid sprays, only green herbs in this game, and they're full heals in the title so its often worth holding onto them until you're almost dead. The game has some swimming sections, where you can't shoot your gun but just swim around the flooded areas and make sure to get air every once in a while. You have an item scanner, which you mainly use to find hidden items or scan enemies to fill a percentage (as when it reaches 100%, it gives you a free green herb and resets itself back to 0%). All of these changes lead to this feeling like a very different sort of game.

The ship is atmospheric and moody, and while linear, does contain the sort of back-tracking and key-collecting you'd expect. Puzzles are underplayed unfortunately, but the game does throw some interesting twists and turns your way through the course of the game to keep things interesting.

The enemies are also fairly varied. The main force being a selection of different types of Oozes, as mentioned earlier, but there's other types about, one returning BOW from the older series, and the game does a pretty good job at introducing new enemies up until the end of the game. There's also a few bosses, who work well for being intimidating, but also fun to fight.

Music is actually rather fantastic. Some excellent songs help the mood and keep the cold ocean feel and melodic charm going. There are several stand-out tracks, but the entirety of it is pretty good.

A few tracks:
Main Theme
Falling Chorus I
O vendetta di Dio

And let me get this out of the way. It's an excellent PC port. The game shows its handheld nature in many ways, but the graphics have been updated substantially since its original 3DS release. Lots of options to customize, and it runs rather well. Honestly the only issue I've really had at all with the port is sometimes when in windowed mode if you click out a lot, the game will on the rare occasion crash, but its a very minor thing, both as its fairly rare and the game saves progression automatically quite regularly.

ss_8c62d7e10b2bdb5dfa0b15825b17785f81ef6b8d.600x338.jpg

The only other thing to touch base on is Raid Mode, which is the replacement in this game to Mercenaries Mode. To best describe it would be to basically say imagine Mercenaries had a child with Monster Hunter, as in this mode you go through locations from the game (either alone, or with a co-op partner online) and hunt and kill monsters, get a ranking, and earn loot. Guns, mods, and the like. You can unlock a rather large variety of characters from the game, each who have their own unique skills (some better use certain weapons, some recover health over time, each has a different knifing style and melee attack, etc.), and a unique level. The level system is like an RPG, where you gain experience and gaining a level increases things like your defense and attack power. However, in an eat addition, you can select your level when selecting your character up to the point you've unlocked, so let's say I had a level 20 Jill but wanted to play with someone who was level 2, I could lower my level down to 2 to play with them a bit more fairly, and then raise it back up whenever I wanted, but not past the level I've unlocked, which is 20.

Raid Mode is absolutely addicting, and probably what will keep you coming back to this title most if you take the delve into it. There's 21 levels, and each one gets longer, more extravagant, and as they go along, start throwing in things like multiple explorable areas and even boss monsters from the campaign. On-top of this, each level has four different difficulties, and these don't just make them harder, but change the layout of each where enemies spawn, where items are, and more. But you need to finish all the stages on one difficulty to unlock the next difficulty. That is, except the 21st level, which is kind of a bonus level that's only recommended if you're maxed out. The last level is a treat in itself that you have to work hard to tackle. It's basically the entire ship from the main game turned into an open-world, enemy-infested obstacle course, with multiple ending points, multiple paths through the ship, and lots of goodies to collect, including a hidden boss exclusive to this stage. It's a lot of fun and very challenging.

Revelations may have convoluted story, cheesy dialogue, key collecting, back-tracking, and interesting inhuman enemies... But it also feels more like a mash-up of new with the old, and not a true callback to the classic survival-horror of the series. But it's not a bad game, and completely worth your time if you either enjoy the series or enjoy these sort of action or horror type of games. It's a lot of fun, and with Raid Mode and unlockable weapons and costumes and difficulties in tow, has a good amount of replay value. It may not be the best in its series, but it's a fun, ridiculous ride while it lasts.

derExperte

How is NFS: Undercover and Marc Ekco Content under Pressure??

Undercover is the worst NfS you can buy on Steam. Only buy for +1 game count.

Bought but not played Marc after reading a lot of positive comments and excitement when it was released on Steam.

GMG is giving $12 credit for Dark Souls II preorders now -- does anyone know if this is stackable with the 20% off coupon that was posted yesterday?

Anteater

man, the combat and driving is kind of difficult in gta iv, it's like playing a weird gangster simulator when I have to take out a bunch of people while on a bike and avoiding traffic

fantomena

Undercover is the worst NfS you can buy on Steam. Only buy for +1 game count.

Bought but not played Marc after reading a lot of positive comments and excitement when it was released on Steam.

Thanks. Removing Undercover from my cart then.

What about Shift 2?

Sorry for asking so much.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Should I get the 3ds or pc version of Resident Evil Revelations?

PC if you have a gamepad. Can't imagine having fun with the 3DS version unless you have a Circle Pad Pro. (3DS owner)

Probably this and it's currently cheaper on Steam than I've ever seen it on the 3DS. I picked up the 3DS version last winter for about $20, but haven't got around to trying it yet. I still need to pick up a circle pad pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom