• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

_hekk05

Banned
I've been away playing Infamous the last few days, what I miss?

Steam having hiccups, everybody hates TotalBiscuit, JaseC stocking up more Pat and Mats, nice bundle with vanguard princess and go go nippon, nice photoshop of milamber in a go go nippon screenshot, Goat simulator is coming

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Milamber bundle @ Indie Gala.

The Milambundle?

Edit: Influent has a "Linguist Pack" in the registry that includes the game and all DLC, although it's not up on the store just yet. I think I'll avoid the game for the time being in favour of picking up said pack in the future.

Knurek

Vis-a-vis the client, two things still annoy me greatly:

Renaming store bought games (Volvo, pls)
Proper cataloging system, with tags replacing categories - multiple tags per game, obviously.
Achievement support in offline mode.
Game time tracking for non-Steam entries.

Arthea

Proper cataloging system, with tags replacing categories - multiple tags per game, obviously.

offline client is most important one as of late! (><)

This is entirely up to the developer. Darksiders 2 supports offline achievements, for example.

it's a pity Civ5 don't, unless it got fixed, haven't played it offline for some time already

JaseC

This is entirely up to the developer. Darksiders 2 supports offline achievements, for example.

Tizoc

GAF
Playfire just gave me $5 from their playfire rewards
I now have $12 GMG credit

Also what's up with ittle dew? I run it but it doesn't recognize my controller and when I try to play with keyboard I can't do anything at the main menu.

Grief.exe

Speaking of bugs, I've had this problem for about a month now.

My average game completion rate is set to 0%, I've contacted steam support and they told me to "flush config"(or something like that) and to make sure that my network is optimized for steam.

Neither of those things worked, and so I'm stuck with a 0% completion rate.
Am I just going to have to wait until Steam fixes it randomly or is there a way to fix this?
'cause it is REALLY annoying.

That has to be on their end, I have a hard time believing that it has anything to do with your network connection.

Copons

I think the backbone of the store is still very much Valve's own servers rather than Akamai's. The change is very recent so I suspect things are still ongoing in that regard.

I've checked several times during all these months since when the Akamai URLs showed up, and actually they never showed again since then.
I thought it could be the fact that they're reserved for US and in EU we're still on Valve CDN, but all in all I'm starting to think they just went with some kind of Akamai 30 days free trial, and then went back to full Valve CDN. :D

Vis-a-vis the client, two things still annoy me greatly:

- The first CD key registering instance in the the current instance of the client freezing up the client for a good 10 or so seconds, and
- Verifying a game's cache completely locking you out of the rest of the client (although you can cancel the process, of course)

I've seen several complaints like these, but they never happened to me (neither on Mac and Win, or with a crappy and pro rig).
And this is yet another reason against the stability of Steam, because if a system works just sometimes, for someone, it just means it's broken.
Especially because it's a super easy function that could be made on a browser level instead (but yeah, I'd very much like to switch completely to the browser over the client, but I guess Valve isn't of the same opinion).

Arthea

GAF
Playfire just gave me $5 from their playfire rewards
I now have $12 GMG credit

Also what's up with ittle dew? I run it but it doesn't recognize my controller and when I try to play with keyboard I can't do anything at the main menu.

I don't know is your problem as mine, but I couldn't run it properly on win8, I've read in community later at it got fixed somewhat, but haven't tried to run it after.

I don't know exactly how the Steam client works but that just sounds silly to me. What would your network setup have to do with how their server calculates your completion percentage? Sounds like you hit a shitty support tech IMO, might be worth giving it another shot.

(It helps if you can confirm that it shows 0% on multiple machines and say that in your first message to them.)

Alright, I've reopened my ticket and told them that.
Fingers crossed that they find a solution, I really would like to have my average game completion rate back to normal.

aww, that sounds bad, and it is annoying, even if that percentage is totally wrong (><)
I don't see how it can be problem on your end, though. But Valve knows best, no?

I can't imagine why it'd be a problem on my end, I don't even think there's anything related to achievements that's stored on my end.

That has to be on their end, I have a hard time believing that it has anything to do with your network connection.

Yeah, and I've tried it on multiple different computers and I still have the problem, but other people don't, so I agree, I don't think it has anything to do with my network connection either.

You actually play the games you have? o_O

It is my greatest shame.
But...Yes. I do play my games that I own.

Ban Puncher

I would of totally bought the Milambundle but I already bought the waifu games for full price on their respective launch days, pantsu DLC and all.

I regret nothing.

JaseC

I've checked several times during all these months since when the Akamai URLs showed up, and actually they never showed again since then.
I thought it could be the fact that they're reserved for US and in EU we're still on Valve CDN, but all in all I'm starting to think they just went with some kind of Akamai 30 days free trial, and then went back to full Valve CDN. :D

Well, you know what they say about Valve and the number 3...

I've seen several complaints like these, but they never happened to me (neither on Mac and Win, or with a crappy and pro rig).
And this is yet another reason against the stability of Steam, because if a system works just sometimes, for someone, it just means it's broken.
Especially because it's a super easy function that could be made on a browser level instead (but yeah, I'd very much like to switch completely to the browser over the client, but I guess Valve isn't of the same opinion).

Not noticing CD key freezing up the client is understandable but unless something has recently changed I find it hard to believe you've never been locked out of the client when verifying a game's cache.

Copons

Well, you know what they say about Valve and the number 3...

Not noticing CD key freezing up the client is understandable but unless something has recently changed I find it hard to believe you've never been locked out of the client when verifying a game's cache.

Uh, forgot to cut out that part: I actually don't verify caches since always. :)

JaseC

Whoa I looked it up, and apparently it will have more content that AoM + Titans?!

Microsoft hasn't formally announced the game yet so it remains to be seen if it's just Mythology and the expansion bundled together in the one game or if it also incorporates some additional content.

Uh, forgot to cut out that part: I actually don't verify caches since always. :)

;)

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought it was rather interesting so I thought why not post it.

t4zx8s9.png
https://twitter.com/onebitbeyond/status/448407893390680065

I remember JaseC mentioning he thought it'd be gone around that time so it seems like he's right.

Knurek

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought it was rather interesting so I thought why not post it.

With the way things are now, whole Steam will be gone (offline) in the next 12 months. :\

Wait so Steam will be an entirely open platform, but games will basically fight for being on the front page and what not?

I see it as steam:// replacing magnet: for game distribution, with Valve doing a Valve Steam store with stuff they like, and anyone else free to open their webstore with stuff they have license to sell.

JaseC

I remember JaseC mentioning he thought it'd be gone around that time so it seems like he's right.

Yeah, the introduction of the app reporting system was a clear indication that Greenlight was on its way out. My guess was later this year or early next at the absolute latest. I assume Greenlight's $100 fee will carry over to the autonomous system and the accounts of those who've already paid it will be transferred over... but I wouldn't say no to a Greenlight badge as it'd be nice if something came of that ~$90. ;)

_hekk05

Banned
Yeah, the introduction of the app reporting system was a clear indication that Greenlight was on its way out. My guess was later this year or early next at the absolute latest. I assume Greenlight's $100 fee will carry over to the autonomous system and the accounts of those who've already paid it will be transferred over.

Damn. Do we expect more shitty games like warz?

Grief.exe

t4zx8s9.png

To be honest, I see the Greenlight system in its current implementation as an unmitigated disaster at this point. I really don't see how Valve is going to handle a completely open system.

To be honest, I see the Greenlight system in its current implementation as an unmitigated disaster at this point. I really don't see how Valve is going to handle a completely open system.

I guess the point is that they won't have to handle it at all.

I have faith that Valve have a plan to not fall into the same traps as the Android/iOS stores and that content discovery and promotion will possible through the curated storefronts, no matter how much crap will be on it once they open the gates completely. I hope they do implement the storefronts some time before they open them, so that we can see what works and what doesn't.

Pakoe

Does anyone else's STEAM chat keep disconnecting for no reason? Happens so much lately while there's nothing wrong with my internet connection..

Saty

Valve better introduce a more fleshed-out tag system; main page filtering and revamped library categorization options before making that switch.

kudoboi

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Party of Sin -- MB-CCF63D957D827E21 - Taken by trailmix16. 3 entrants total.
Major Mayham -- MB-8F99DB9EC80B23F2 - Taken by Abomination. 2 entrants total.
Shattered Haven -- MB-C2DF4F146913D058 - Taken by Boss Doggie. 1 entrants total.

t1395748505z1.png

oh boy

JaseC

Does anyone else's STEAM chat keep disconnecting for no reason? Happens so much lately while there's nothing wrong with my internet connection..

Steam Community is on the fritz a bit. Check out these five awesome drops!

newitemsmcd37.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh shit steam store is down!

Microsoft hasn't formally announced the game yet so it remains to be seen if it's just Mythology and the expansion bundled together in the one game or if it also incorporates some additional content.

Ah I see.

vermadas

So if you pre-order Trials Fusion you are supposed to get a key to access the beta until the game launches (I assume activates on UPlay). If I acquire the game from a Russian trader is that going to still allow me beta access?

Salsa

beat rising on hard after a couple tries with the last boss

game was fantastic as expected. will keep installed to play the story DLC later

JaseC

So if you pre-order Trials Fusion you are supposed to get a key to access the beta until the game launches (I assume activates on UPlay). If I acquire the game from a Russian trader is that going to still allow me beta access?

Yes. The beta is actually a separate game:

Apps in this package

245490 Game Trials Fusion (Trials Fusion&#8482;) about 13 hours ago
284480 Game Trials Fusion - Closed Beta about 13 hours ago

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wasn't aware.

JaseC

Thanks to JaseC, I'm now binging Nerdist Podcasts.

Saoirse Ronan is 434

It's a great interview and much like her stuff with David Poland in that it's very laid back with 90% of the time being spent talking about whatever... such as how Vegemite is disgusting, even though it's totally not.

Volimar

It's a great interview and much like her stuff with David Poland in that it's very laid back with 90% of the time being spent talking about whatever... such as how Vegemite is disgusting, even though it's totally not.

It totally is.

She doesn't watch Doctor Who.

Completely worth it to hear her talk about the "big D".

StAidan

I really don't see what I'm missing with Gunman Clive... People in this thread seem to love it and it has all positive reviews on Steam, but I hated the drab graphics, the dull music, the floaty controls and the severe lack of action in the first two levels.

I don't mind the controls, I think the gameplay mechanics are pretty solid and the no damage / speedrun challenges are nice and challenging.

But I agree with you that the experience as a whole is bland and forgettable. The graphics just seem samey throughout (even where they're different) -- I think due to the lack of contrast and detail. The style really keeps environmental elements from standing out.

Also, I hear a lot of musical callbacks to the Mega Man series, but the tone of the soundtrack never changes in any significant way. It's like none of the songs have their own identity, making them all run together in my mind as I try to recall them.

Anyway, I understand that it's pretty much a one-man effort, low budget and all that, so I did feel like $2 was a fair price for it. It's just not the type of game folks would go back to after being done with it.

Sounds like they're quite far into testing the open system. End goal is user-curated pages, so you can follow your favourite tastemaker.

https://twitter.com/onebitbeyond/status/448408329275334656

Can't wait for JaseC's storefront!

Staff from Valve are so amazingly, refreshingly open when you sit down and chat with them. Honest about mistakes and why. Lovely.

https://twitter.com/onebitbeyond/status/448408653272719361

now someone please address the Steam issue

JaseC

You don't watch Doctor Who, Jase? That's a shame

Come to think of it, now that Breaking Bad is over, I don't watch any hour-long shows (the upcoming Twin Peaks BD release aside). Once upon a time I religiously watched a ton of stuff, but I slowly gravitated away from, for example, House and Supernatural after they well and truly jumped the shark. Doctor Who I've never actually seen a single episode of, though, so there's still a distinct possibility I'll get stuck into it one day.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Making History: The Calm & The Storm -- MB-D00CE07E1AAB9EB4 - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.
Majesty 2 -- MB-01340EDD27E5A3CD - Taken by user237. 3 entrants total.
East India Company -- MB-4CE14AB0D694000E - Taken by EmergentFocus. 3 entrants total.
Razor 2: Hidden skies -- MB-186C498567030CB4 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 2 entrants total.
inMomentum -- MB-095C70FEB5BF1407
Metal Drift -- MB-DAA7CE3D6CF64899 - Taken by NingenJanai. 2 entrants total.

t1395750621z1.png
Just a little to give back to the community and fill up your library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom